Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Precambrian posted:

I guess, from the Court's perspective, creatures like Coyote (maybe all of the forest?) are parasites leeching off the power of humanity. And, if that is the case, we should be able to conclude that this is the reason the Court looks down on Anja and Donlan's etheric sciences.
It's also in the Court's interest to not believe too strongly in the power of forest creatures if that belief empowers them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Sorry to interrupt the discussion about belief dynamics and their effect on the ether (now there's a doctoral thesis), but is it just me, or is 'real' Coyote pulling a David Duchovny face? It's like he's saying, "C'mon Scully, what do you want from me?"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Madrox posted:

I disagree. I think Mort is just a traditional ghost, i.e. one who didn't move onto the afterlife and/or etherium due to unfinished business. I've been curious about Mort's previous life for a while now, and expect (hope) that's something we'll see eventually.

I'm guessing he's either the guy Reynardine killed or Steadman

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Now that I think of it, have Mort and Renard ever met in the comic? I can't remember them ever being on the same page.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm guessing he's either the guy Reynardine killed or Steadman
Or perhaps they're... all the same person!

DUN
DUN
DUNNNNNNNN

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
And there we go, now we've got our hook into finding out more about Jones.

Also, I absolutely love panel 5, good gravy that's cool looking in a quasi-sinister way.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Very early into the comic I was operating under the ridiculous supposition that Jones was an alien.

Clearly with this update the answer becomes she is not an alien or a robot, but an alien robot.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I wonder if Tom's comment on this page has something to do with this whole Jones thing.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Tom, you tease!:argh:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Also, I absolutely love panel 5, good gravy that's cool looking in a quasi-sinister way.

Agreed. I also wish larger av sizes were allowed.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Boy, panel 5 is ominous. I wonder what the deal is with Coyote's sudden Ysengrin hands! I guess something to do with the stars was another favor, but was it for Jones, or Ysengrin (connected to Jones somehow)? And we still don't know the root cause of why Coyote doesn't seem to respect Ysengrin at all, do we?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Excited for next chapter now, hopefully we'll find out what the hell is Jones' deal.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Excited for next chapter now, hopefully we'll find out what the hell is Jones' deal.
Nope, next chapter we'll see Annie walking out of Jones office, dusting her hands and saying, welp, that explains so much!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

If that happens I will egg Tom's house.

What could her deal possibly be that makes Annie think she disproves coyote's thing he just told her and makes coyote say she actually is a perfect example of what he is talking about. What is Your Deal Miss Not a Robot.

Also seconding liking how Coyote looks in the fifth panel.

Ristar
Aug 26, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I wonder if Tom's comment on this page has something to do with this whole Jones thing.

Given the mention of the stars on the current page, I am thinking that you are very much on to something here.

EDIT: My hackneyed theory is that Jones is the eye that Coyote threw into the sky and became a star. Additionally, that while in the sky, she discovered things about the other stars in the sky. Probably that they are souls or Ether related somehow.

Ristar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 10, 2012

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ristar posted:

Given the mention of the stars on the current page, I am thinking that you are very much on to something here.

EDIT: My hackneyed theory is that Jones is the eye that Coyote threw into the sky and became a star. Additionally, that while in the sky, she discovered things about the other stars in the sky. Probably that they are souls or Ether related somehow.

That would explain why he calls her "Wandering Eye" too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It would make her confidence in being able to match or surpass him kind of interesting as well. What in the hell did she find out there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

It would make her confidence in being able to match or surpass him kind of interesting as well. What in the hell did she find out there?

Well, every single culture has some kind or other of star myth, usually a fairly major part of their mythology at that; Star Gods would probably be hella powerful.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Boy, panel 5 is ominous. I wonder what the deal is with Coyote's sudden Ysengrin hands!
Ysengrin didn't leave. He's standing behind Coyote, with a big coat thrown over the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0kOKmrbRI

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
Coyote with hands is... unsettling

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Boy, panel 5 is ominous. I wonder what the deal is with Coyote's sudden Ysengrin hands! I guess something to do with the stars was another favor, but was it for Jones, or Ysengrin (connected to Jones somehow)? And we still don't know the root cause of why Coyote doesn't seem to respect Ysengrin at all, do we?

drat chimera posted:

Coyote with hands is... unsettling
It's not a new part of his design though. Glare Seethe posted a link to page 489 and three pages ahead of there we see Coyote having claws as well, as he tells about how he divided the court and the forest.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Angry Avocado posted:

It's not a new part of his design though. Glare Seethe posted a link to page 489 and three pages ahead of there we see Coyote having claws as well, as he tells about how he divided the court and the forest.

Yes, Coyote has used claws before, but he normally does not. So it makes it unsettling, as opposed to a random addition.
As far as reasons why they look like Ysengrin's, there's two potential ones. One is pragmatic- Slidell working towards a consistent style in the art. The other is in-universe. Coyote gave Ysengrin the body he now wears. It would make sense that it would resemble Coyote's. The egoist.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Angry Avocado posted:

I forgot about this page, so I guess it isn't a new thing :shobon: Their sudden appearance (along with the sudden angular lines & sharp teeth) are still kinda ominous though!!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tupperwarez posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about belief dynamics and their effect on the ether (now there's a doctoral thesis), but is it just me, or is 'real' Coyote pulling a David Duchovny face? It's like he's saying, "C'mon Scully, what do you want from me?"
Good, I'm not the only one who sees it.

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Yes, Coyote has used claws before, but he normally does not. So it makes it unsettling, as opposed to a random addition.
As far as reasons why they look like Ysengrin's, there's two potential ones. One is pragmatic- Slidell working towards a consistent style in the art. The other is in-universe. Coyote gave Ysengrin the body he now wears. It would make sense that it would resemble Coyote's. The egoist.
Coyote loves hearing stories about himself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Third possible reason: we saw that Ysengrin can shape his own hands in Fangs of Summertime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whole lot of ominous statements from Coyote these last few pages. I'm about ready for an ice cold load of shocking revelations to be dumped comically down my trousers.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I think everyone knows this. But Coyote is a really awesome character. Seeing him merge back into the ground certainly hammers home he is a fundamental part of the forest.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would Coyote's revelations make Annie less comfortable around Ysengrin? I honestly don't get it :confused:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tollymain posted:

Why would Coyote's revelations make Annie less comfortable around Ysengrin? I honestly don't get it :confused:
I don't really get it either. I guess it partially explains the resentment he holds towards humans--his power is in large part due to humans. What I don't see is why that would change Antimony's and Ysengrin's dymanic, as she already knew he distrusted/disliked humans. It doesn't seem like knowing the reason would change all that much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's a big fat jerk that's why! :mad:

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
I think Coyote expects Annie to go talk to Jones before the day is done, and what Jones tells Annie is gonna blow her mind even more than what Coyote's already told her.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tollymain posted:

Any other story, I'd guess he is off doing something now that Annie will be horrified at. She's going to walk up on it, see it, and realize that big cuddly Ysengrin and the fun fun funny fun people of the forest are every bit as ruthless and nasty as the Court (which Jones said).

However, the comic has consistently surprised me, so we will see

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe he's off eating an elf or something.

Hey, he's a predator. Circle of life.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Annie is obviously also a little confused about it, but I think that what Coyote is getting at is that Ysengrin will have a ridiculous antagonistic reaction to the fact that Annie knows the Great Secret, and will stop being such a Fun Guy to be around.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Aheh.

I was reading this page, saw the last panel without scrolling to the comment, and thought to myself 'bloop'.

Lo, and behold. I am on a perhaps slightly worryingly similar wavelength here.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Elysiume posted:

I guess it partially explains the resentment he holds towards humans--his power is in large part due to humans.
His current weak state could also be due to humans as a result of the court viewing him as nothing more than a "dull minded animal trying to create a nuisance." A shift from prior humans viewing him as powerful to his current state of dependence on Coyote?

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

Parts Kit posted:

A shift from prior humans viewing him as powerful to his current state of dependence on Coyote?

I always thought it was just due to Coyote powers bestowed on others being imperfect. Ysengrin can command the trees, but can barely command his own body.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Look at panel 1.

Annie took Coyote by surprise. He's actually taken aback.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That rock pulled a pretty good trick on everyone. :I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

That rock pulled a pretty good trick on everyone. :I

I thought the same thing. It wasn't Coyote transforming into a rock, no, he was a rock the entire time!