Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are those references to the Odyssey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Colon V posted:

That is actually really drat cool.

So, what's actually going on with this not-Mother lode? :allears:

It's a TITAN. It's ALWAYS a TITAN.

Edit: That said, wild-west Eclipse Phase is actually a pretty cool idea, I hope your campaign goes well!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Arx Monolith posted:

I've been looking in the old threads but I can't find this story:

A group (possibly all playing orcs) befriend the village idiot orc and he becomes a close friend NPC. When the large dumb orc is killed in battle, they are all dumbstruck and genuinely get angry at what killed him.

I'm using a similar character in my game, (to eventually unite the characters in my group who don't get along 100%.. or even 50%) but I'd like to read the story again.

Here it is. Axeman Jim's story of Gront.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh god, thank you, kind sir.

Edit: Upon rereading, I didn't tear up, but I got that..pre-pre-crying feeling.

Arx Monolith fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 1, 2012

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Colon V posted:

That is actually really drat cool.

So, what's actually going on with this not-Mother lode? :allears:

Well, that'd be giving the big secret away, wouldn't it? I do admit, though, I've been considering the possibility of turning the fight to escape with The Long Journey into a Magnificent Seven style moment. If one of the players is dying and needs to be left behind, the pod will slowly open to reveal all the gear inside is rusted to hell and worth little more than scrap, if that. The whole point of this will be a Harry Luck style moment, where the others are pressured to lie to their allies about what their slow, painful death has earned them.

But that's a while away. Today's session ended midway into a fight between them and a group of train robbers.

This being Eclipse Phase, though, the train is a mag-lev and the train robbers are attacking on ultra-high-speed motorcycles with bandits in hang-gliders in tow. The first casualty of the battle came when Kynes set her AMAC (Anti-Materiel Accelerator Cannon) onto a stable platform and turned one of the cycles into a pile of slag.

The rest of the group all got some shots off, but I think my favourite moment was when one of the bandits fired a rocket on his cycle and plowed right into the back door of the private sleeper car they were staying in. Ferric, the steel magnate whose private car they're in, stands up, completely unperturbed. He walks to the cycle, draws his handcannon of a revolver and does so much damage in a single shot that the air inside the cycle cockpit forms a vacuum and pulls a shower of gore out behind it.

If hang-gliding bandits robbing a mag-lev train doesn't capture people's interests, I don't know what could.

Tollymain posted:

Are those references to the Odyssey?

Yes. Yes they are.

Locomotive breath posted:

It's a TITAN. It's ALWAYS a TITAN.

Edit: That said, wild-west Eclipse Phase is actually a pretty cool idea, I hope your campaign goes well!

Not necessarily. Sometimes, transhumans can be dicks all on their own. And thank you!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That was actually rather sweet. Hopefully, Gront is serving alongside Gruumsh in his eternal battle against the sissy elves.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Ok, here's one from about 15 years ago.

We were high school freshmen who regularly met at my buddy's parents' place to play in their basement. We'll call him "Mitch." The story takes place on a Tuesday night. We only played D&D on Wednesdays, so we decided to break out a game of Risk instead. Risk isn't the best game, but it was an okay time waster and we didn't feel like video gaming in the 95-degree game room upstairs.

There are five of us playing:
Mitch was blue.
I was green.
Brando was yellow.
Pierce was black.
Jameson was pink.

We set up the board using the random starting territory rules and play a few rounds. One guy, Pierce, ended up taking all of Africa and a little of S.America and Mitch ends up taking all of Europe and a few colonies of N.America. The other three of us were fighting over the rest of the world.

Mitch has saved up a few cards at this point, and when it came to his turn, he traded them all in for some ridiculous amount of bonus troops. He placed 30-some guys on the board all-told with his normal allotment plus card bonus. Placing nearly all of it in the southernmost territory of Europe, he declared his first attack. It was clear that he was going to take Africa from Pierce, and it wouldn't be hard by the looks of it: Pierce only had three guys in the first territory due to a skuffle with Jameson over that same territory last turn.

Mitch starts rolling, so does Pierce.
When Mitch rolled a lot of ones and twos. Pierce rolled average threes and fours.
When Mitch rolled a bunch of threes and fours. Pierce rolled fives and sixes.
When Mitch finally rolled a five or six, Pierce would roll all-sixes (defender wins ties)

Mitch continues, round after round after round; handedly loosing all of his troops. All of them. He's left with his one token guy in southern Europe.
Pierce has lost only one of his original three guys. Pierce held his one African territory with three men in it against a batallion of over thirty cavalry and cannons from Europe.

:wth::hf::keke: The rest of us start passing him high-fives, and then look over at Mitch.

:what: Mitch sits there for a moment in stunned silence, not taking his eyes off the board. Then, his face slowly starts turning red.

Suddenly, Mitch stands up and screams at the top of his lungs:
:argh: HOW?! HOW COULD I POSSIBLY LOSE MY ENTIRE TRAINED AND EQUIPPED STRIKE FORCE TO A PAIR OF NIGGERS WITH SPEARS?!

And then he --literally-- flips the table and storms out of the house. Hundreds of pieces fly across the basement. They fly under tables; they into the fire place; they into the ferret cage. There were many we never found again.

We all sat in stunned silence for a minute, realizing that we're in his parents basement, he just stormed out, and they must have heard that. He'd never seemed like a racist guy before, but apparently desperation brings out the worst in people.

And then Pierce turned this event from the worst experience ever into the best with one sudden, honest question:
:geno: "I was playing the black-colored pieces in Africa, wasn't I?"

Since we had done random territory deployment, no one had noticed until that very moment.

The rest of the night was pock-marked by arbitrary bursts of laughter from everyone as they flashed back to it. We never let Mitch live it down.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo.

I was going to say I'd had a similar experience with tons of carded armies attacking Kamchatka peninsula from Alaska, but that racist outburst takes the cake.

We still tell stories about the "Kamchatka Special Forces" holding off enemies outnumbering them 20:1 though.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

DarkHorse posted:

We still tell stories about the "Kamchatka Special Forces" holding off enemies outnumbering them 20:1 though.
When I was still in the military, a couple of the folks I worked with and I would play continuous games of Risk during our lunch breaks. When the break ended, we'd move the board off the table and wait until the next day to continue... and we had stuff like that happen too. I remember completely shutting down one attack into the countries I owned with a single soldier.

The whole idea ended up being... interesting, playing Risk during the lunch breaks. Since the wall between the break room and the office was mostly glass, I'd look up from my work to see one of my coworkers just... hovering at the window. Studying the board, planning their next move.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Risk is a game that I have only ever played drunk, and never in mixed company. So on the rare occasions when we bust out Risk (usually with Tetris or Mario Kart on the TV so the people who get taken out early have something to do) there's a lot of racist stereotypes thrown around. We have yet to flip a table, though.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Risk is both my favorite and least favorite game. The problem is that in my group of friends, one of them (hi Ominous Jazz) gets paranoid easily and supermad when they lose, and the other basically plays a long game of "i'm not touching you" where he just consolidates territory after an initial blitzkreig. This led in high school to a lot of bad feelings and people deliberately not giving rides back home, and we're still petty assholes in Risk games.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Blasphemeral posted:

Suddenly, Mitch stands up and screams at the top of his lungs:

See, this is why i keep telling you guys not to break people's verisimilitude!!!

(It's messed up you're still friends with this person.)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

DarkHorse posted:

Holy poo poo.

I was going to say I'd had a similar experience with tons of carded armies attacking Kamchatka peninsula from Alaska, but that racist outburst takes the cake.

My dad has had that exact same experience, with the Kamchatka Seven holding off all comers, always being whittled down to seven, but no further. Is it something about Kamchatka that makes people badasses?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Aberrant: The Colonel

As you might know, Aberrant is a superhero game based on the World Of Darkness mechanics. The player characters are essentially mutants, whose superpowers usually first emerge as some kind of reaction to extreme stress or peril.

The characters in this particular game were

Jerry, the computer expert, generally a pretty great guy, also happens to be a diet version of the Hulk. Tends to go around in jeans and a t-shirt.

The Crimson Fist, the melodramatic university professor turned superhero (tights and all). Powers include teleportation and force fields, often shaped like fists and used as such. His battle cries usually revolved around punching things.

Nightshade, the beautiful flying brick with an impeccable fashion sense. Actually a 60+-year old grandmother, if I remember correctly.

Finally, there was The Colonel, an army vet turned Robin Hobo, with mysterious psychic powers. The nature of his powers was usually just hinted at, with only the player and the GM aware of what was going on.

The Colonel used to be Laurent Schuberg, US Army officer who used his connections and charisma to rise to a high rank spectacularly fast. This caught the wrong kind of attention and got him sent on a suicide mission in what was essentially a modern day Vietnam, against superhuman mercs.

His squad wiped out, his body wrecked by hunger, thirst and an exotic cocktail of jungle diseases and toxins, Laurent was lying in a state of delirium, near-death. All he could think of was that he really, really wanted some delicious chicken. This intense desire caused his powers to emerge: The ability to create psychic illusions of chickens.

...Yeah.

Using this ability to make the local farmers think he was a huge chicken, he managed to save himself and make his way back to the US, where he erased himself from the records and became a nomadic vigilante, fighting The Man, with hallucinatory hens, imaginary avians and false fowls.

What the chickens translated to in mechanics were all kinds of powers dealing with perception (blinding the opponent with a giant mass of chickens, or disorienting them with constant clucking and the like), fear (using the Doomcock, the fearsome rooster mutant illusion) and just plain old illusions. Just goes to show what you can do with some reskinning and flavor!

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Suleman posted:

His squad wiped out, his body wrecked by hunger, thirst and an exotic cocktail of jungle diseases and toxins, Laurent was lying in a state of delirium, near-death. All he could think of was that he really, really wanted some delicious chicken. This intense desire caused his powers to emerge: The ability to create psychic illusions of chickens.

...Yeah.

Suleman posted:

blinding the opponent with a giant mass of chickens

Suleman posted:

disorienting them with constant clucking

Suleman posted:

Doomcock, the fearsome rooster mutant

If you're ever in my area, you are so very, very welcome to join a game of Mutants and Masterminds.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Axelgear posted:

If you're ever in my area, you are so very, very welcome to join a game of Mutants and Masterminds.

Finland. Sorry. :(

I should have time for online games occasionally, though, I should probably check out the IRC and Maptools games running here.

When the game ended, we were going to have a sequel in M&M, but the GM ended up doing a Mage game instead. Boo, I say, boo. I might have the Colonel's M&M build lying around somewhere, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Suleman posted:

Aberrant: The Colonel

the Doomcock

What Axelgear said. It sounds like when all you have is a chicken-shaped hammer, everything looks like a chicken-shaped nail, and that is fantastic.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Doc Hawkins posted:

...(It's messed up you're still friends with this person.)

Oh, I'm not. I haven't seen him in a decade.
I actually started getting nostalgia goggles about those guys the other night, until I remembered this story and a few other less interesting and more horrible ones. Looks like I'm not gonna give them a call after all. ;)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This isn't my story, but I was at least present for most of it, and it is a story that bears telling. A story about how Tough Hero is the best class.

The campaign involved my brother, several of his friends, and d20 Modern, doing sort of an over-the-top 90s action movie style of adventure. I wasn't privy to the events leading up to the critical moment, but it was a battle against some thugs on a wooden platform overlooking a beach. The setup looked something like this:

The indicated PC was the party's Tough Hero, who had a beautiful combination of tools at her disposal: A motorcycle, a grappling hook, a sledgehammer, and a plan.

Her plan was to tear towards the edge of the platform on the motorcycle, smashing through the fence, jump off the motorcycle and grapple onto the edge, using the momentum to hurl herself in a half-circle to underneath the platform, and finally, as she zoomed by, smash Enemy A's brains out with the sledgehammer at 30 miles per hour.

Things started going wrong almost immediately.

The GM required two rolls to start the stunt out - one to hit with the grappling hook, and one to dismount the bike. She failed both, instead smashing through the railing and careening towards the awaiting ocean. However, not being averse to improvisation, instead of abandoning the maneuver at this point she just changed targets.

Somehow she had lost control of the bike to the point that she was now upside-down in midair, soaring majestically towards Enemy B. As she passed overhead, she sledgehammered the second thug hard enough to leave him on the brink of death, then went on to wipe out completely on the shore. At which point the motorcycle exploded, with Tough Hero still on it.

At the end of the turn, the Tough Hero had a single hit point remaining, and the thug was thoroughly dead. Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Oh, I'm not. I haven't seen him in a decade.
I actually started getting nostalgia goggles about those guys the other night, until I remembered this story and a few other less interesting and more horrible ones. Looks like I'm not gonna give them a call after all. ;)

I apologize for any bad thoughts I thought of you, and I can completely sympathize with that exact position.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My favorite part of the "Tough Hero" from d20 modern was that he was named "Moooooon Dog" and his last name was Rosenblatt.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ProfessorProf posted:

The indicated PC was the party's Tough Hero, who had a beautiful combination of tools at her disposal: A motorcycle, a grappling hook, a sledgehammer, and a plan.

Her plan was to tear towards the edge of the platform on the motorcycle, smashing through the fence, jump off the motorcycle and grapple onto the edge, using the momentum to hurl herself in a half-circle to underneath the platform, and finally, as she zoomed by, smash Enemy A's brains out with the sledgehammer at 30 miles per hour.

Things started going wrong almost immediately.

While you may recreate a wide variety of action properties in d20 Modern, Just Cause is not one of them.

Yes, I know the campaign likely predates the games.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dareon posted:

While you may recreate a wide variety of action properties in d20 Modern, Just Cause is not one of them.

I was thinking the scene from Mallrats that ended up with Kevin Smith crashing through a fitting room wall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dareon posted:

Man, now I wanna run a game based on Just Cause.

"I jump off the jeep, just as it crashes into the gas station, and grapple onto the helicopter."

"Roll to see how awesome the resulting explosion is."

Mr. Maltose posted:

So you want to play Feng Shui?
[One Google later]
Yes. :swoon:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2012

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So you want to play Feng Shui?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fatal & Friends has a pretty extensive write-up of it if you check their wiki.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

So, GURPs 4th edition. We're playing set in, essentially, an alternate universe 2 A.D. of the earth. The Roman Empire is dominating much of the world because they're using magitech firearms. Basically, it's pretty loving insane.

So we have three players:
:zaeed: Lily, an elven dyslexic gunsmith who is looking to invent non-magitech firearms superior to anything the Romans possess. She has a bad temper, is proud and stubborn so aside from her being a twenty-year-old elven girl she actually is a lot like the smiley. (Me)
:kamina: Zahir, a former Babylonian slave who has turned out to be the single most insane and charismatic leader the world has yet seen. He's also illiterate and somewhat of a retard when he's not doing awesome poo poo. (David)
:science: Antea, a Roman inventor in a magitech powersuit that makes up for her various physical disabilities. She built a da Vinci tank and was the driving force behind Roman weapons tech before defecting to our group. (Q)
:rolldice: And our long-suffering DM, Chris. Spoiler Alert: Our solutions to his problems usually involve completely ignoring any logical solution and doing the most insane thing we can come up with.

So, to avoid telling you about the entire campaign up to this point (awesome as it is), the summation is that our group prevented the Roman Empire from steamrolling a group of middle-eastern villages. The battle ended with them taking over the Roman occupation force's fort, which they promptly went to work on with magic to turn into a medieval fortress. Then we moved on to a city on the edge of the Dead Sea, where we set up shop for a bit until we were marched up on by a new Roman force massively well-equipped and blockading us in the city. And that is where things got exciting.

So we're facing a blockade on both land and out at sea with most of what could be called our actual army still out at the fort nearly a week's time away. All of us were struggling to figure out what to do, with Antea's player going so far as to suggest jury-rigging her da Vinci tank to float, drive forward without a pilot and filling it with bombs to blow up the blockade. And then our fortunes changed with the arrival of a message.

:rolldice: : So a messenger pigeon or crow or whatever arrives-
:zaeed: : A messenger eagle.
:kamina: : Yes, it's got to be that thi-
:zaeed: : Wait, no, a Messenger Roc, with a C.
:rolldice: : Yeah, sure, that's pretty funny so we'll go with that.

So we had a giant messenger bird in the middle of our blockaded city in 2 A.D., capable in historical records of plucking full-grown elephants from the ground and flying them away. Oh yeah, and the message it brought us was that our Army at the Fortress knew we were and trouble and were coming but that wasn't important anymore.

:kamina: : Okay, I'm going to roll my Strategy skill.
:rolldice: : Okay, tell me what your plan is and then you can roll it.
:kamina: : I can't. I'm gonna roll this first to see how crazy I can be and then I'll tell you my plan.
:rolldice: : Oh god . . .

Long story short, we outfitted the Roc with a brace of artillery cannons designed by Antea, a huge collection of Greek Fire on its back and Zahir learned to fly it. Just practicing flying around with all the cannons and everything on it, Zahir got to make a leadership check which he rolled a 10 for against his skill of 19. Chris flat told us at that point that roughly half of the Roman force had decided at that moment they didn't give a poo poo about Rome anymore and would probably turncoat once the battle started. Oh yeah, and David declared that the Roc was now going to be named Stallone.

The battle went about as well as you can expect when in the second year of A.D. a Roman force finds itself being attacked by a Roc outfitted with Artillery cannons and napalm, soaring over the battlefield while the man flying it shouts encouragement to the troops using a magic spell to amplify his voice. There may also have been this music playing in the background at the time.

What followed was a crit on the Strategy of the leader of the actual army from the Fortress once they arrived, half the Roman force turning coat, a mysterious woman who had been helping our two inventors in the city whipping out an Anti-Particle Rifle to nuke the sea blockade and the Roc just kind of wreaking havoc with the guys still determined to fight. The only damage any of us (our actual forces had 10% casualties, boo hoo) took was due to poor Mishap rolls during the fighting.

That's now the third time we've unmercifully kicked the poo poo out of the Romans and frankly we're probably going to cause its fall by the end of the in-game year at the rate we're going. All throughout the session, all Chris could say when not giving ruling and results was:

I can't believe I'm letting you guys do this poo poo. :ughh:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

LornMarkus posted:

napalm roc

You know, the more I read stories like these the more I need to break out of our games steeped in verisimilitude and cohesiveness, and go for the gusto.

I miss my M60-toting gamma world half-ogre with the gnome illusionist sidekick in his pocket.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Agrikk posted:

You know, the more I read stories like these the more I need to break out of our games steeped in verisimilitude and cohesiveness, and go for the gusto.

I miss my M60-toting gamma world half-ogre with the gnome illusionist sidekick in his pocket.

Yeah, the trick is mostly just to find a DM who understands that, even in a realistic setting, the PCs should still be awesome individuals.

For example, though it wasn't important enough to mention up there, my character started out with a Breechloading Carbine that she personally invented. That's the edge of TL 4, which has just a 10 second reload time compared to the 60 seconds of the Roman Muskets. Since then she has upgraded it all the way into what amounts to a Spencer M1860 in 2 A.D.. So while she may not be tooling around on a Roc making a legend of herself, her Small Arms advancement is literally astronomical. And I loving love it.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 9, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure where this ends up in the best/worst scale.

I'm running the Kingmaker campaign. I have five players.

Warrior that is kind of simple and very dedicated to the law and also cutting the heads off people that break said law.
Inquisitor that hates magic and is a bit of a stick in the mud.
Druid that likes to troll the warrior.
Monk that is a raging alcoholic and has a pet ox with the sole job of carrying him and his tankard of beer.
Halfling that we call "The Chihuahua" because at the first sign of trouble he immediately hides behind whatever he can find.

Now the idea behind this campaign is there is a trading post run by this guy and his wife. It's on the edge of a frontier that the players have been tasked to map and explore. Part of the area is a huge forest which contains a bunch of encounters one of which is a pair of fairies that are supposed to follow the players and play pranks. The idea is that after giving them some tribute or trying to communicate they become friendly and give hints regarding some of the secret areas and stuff. So the pranks start and they are fairly benign. The party suffers through them but don't really want to interact with them so they just kind of continue sporadically. Eventually they learn of a bandit camp to the south (which is where the end fight of the chapter is but they think it's going to just be a small skirmish). It's about a three day journey there and on the second night they stop to make camp. The warrior was up for guard duty but failed a perception roll so badly that I decided to give the invisible fairies the opportunity to empty out the monk's beer and replace it with water.

So the next morning the monk goes for his morning drink and finds that he has only water. He throws a fit and tells the party that they need to go back to the trading post for more beer. The inquisitor tells him that's stupid and they are not going to waste the time when they are so close to the bandits they've been hunting. The monk says fine he will do it by himself and the rest of the party sides with the inquisitor. So they part ways. The party gets to the bandit camp, and fights through the entire thing but their leader proves to be a bit too much and they are forced to retreat. Meanwhile the monk does a forced march and arrives at the trading post at 3:00 am. Without anyone to serve him he proceeds to try and break down the store room to get to the booze. The owner hears him, gives him one beer then goes back to his bed. That's not enough however and the monk then breaks down the door and is promptly ejected from the post by the standing guardsmen and told to never return. He then heads down south to where he figures the bandit camp would be either to meet up with his party or get beer from bandits or whatever.

So the rest of the group is trying to heal up and decides to camp out in the forest for day. During this time the monk has found the camp abandoned except for the bodies of the bandits killed by the party. He loots them all and takes the horses left then starts heading north. He crosses paths with the party who asks where the hell he's been. He tells them of the abandoned camp and the great poo poo he found to which the druid and warrior say that that stuff is rightfully theirs since they did all the work and almost died for it. The monk replies that he found it it's his and then can pound sand and goes to leave. The warrior decides to cut the ropes and set all the horses free which starts a fight that the monk loses badly. They tie him up with the intent of letting him go the next day so he can't steal their stuff. However in the middle of the night during his watch the halfling gets him up, tells him he is setting him free, helps him onto a horse then when he is 100 feet out shoots him in the back then walks over and slits his throat (the player did ask if this was ok and the monk player was already assuming his character was out of the adventure and would need to reroll anyway). Unbeknownst to him the druid was watching this through his link to his eagle. The next day the inquisitor pretty much pieced it all together as well due to the new magic boots the halfling was wearing that they had previously given the monk. The decided not to let the warrior in on the info since he didn't much care for murderers.

So the party sans the monk finds an ancient gravestone that contained some incredibly minor magic item that the druid wants to unearth and plunder but the inquisitor does not since that would be disrespectful of the dead. Cue a ten minute real world argument until the druid proclaims "you claim to honor the dead but you didn't seem to object when Halfling killed our former companion and didn't even let our friend Warrior know." The warrior finally realizes in character what had happened and starts chasing the halfling around to find out if he needed to enact the "king's justice." After a bunch of opposed diplomacy rolls the halfling is able to talk down the warrior and assure him that it was a lie but at this point the inquisitor decided that if the halfling is still in the group he agrees with the druid and could not travel with them anymore. On his way out he slaps the warrior on the back and says "and by the way the halfling totally killed monk and slit his throat while he was tied up" which starts the conflict all over again. The halfling is barely able to explain himself as helping the greater good by killing the drunken traitor but it's close.

So that's the story of how a fairy gimmick designed to further the plot and a 50 gold magic item almost destroyed a party from within.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 9, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Radish posted:

So that's the story of how a fairy gimmick designed to further the plot and a 50 gold magic item almost destroyed a party from within.

I believe it was Bertrand Russel who said "that which can be destroyed by a fairy gimmick, should be."

The monk sounds like the worst kind of attention-demanding "I'm a ninja" player.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The rest of the party wants to continue the adventure? gently caress that, I want a solo quest to get my manic pixie dream monk more beer! Verisimilitude!

Although the question remains of why there were bodies left for the monk to loot! Did they kill them all and decide to just walk away?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

The rest of the party wants to continue the adventure? gently caress that, I want a solo quest to get my manic pixie dream monk more beer! Verisimilitude!

Although the question remains of why there were bodies left for the monk to loot! Did they kill them all and decide to just walk away?

Basically they fought the entire bandit fort and killed everyone until the boss was roused from a drunken slumber. At this point they had blown all their spells and were down a player so they just escaped and left the boss to fight an NPC that told them to leave as he made a last stand to redeem himself. The bandit leader then ran to hide in the forest since his fort had been compromised and all his underlings were dead.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I believe it was Bertrand Russel who said "that which can be destroyed by a fairy gimmick, should be."

The monk sounds like the worst kind of attention-demanding "I'm a ninja" player.

Nah all the players are cool. I think the monk figured when he was banned from the trading post he was more or less out of the group anyway and wanted his character to end up a villain to be used later in the campaign and then re-roll a new hero that wasn't going to butt heads with the other characters as much.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 10, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Why not say so, with his words?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why not say so, with his words?

Because then there wouldn't have been a hilarious story that perfectly highlights the sociopathy of the average RPG player?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Or the average RPG character. Fun can be had playing cheesed-as-gently caress murderhobos if everyone else agrees to it beforehand.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
PDQ #: Talking Heads

I was asked if I wanted to take part in a quick one-shot set in a fantasy version of Venice, with Da Vinci-inspired strange technology, detective mysteries and action. If you would say no to this, I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore. Not used to the system, me and another player decided to try out something new and different with our characters.

The cast:

The GM: An experienced guy who translates and writes RPGs for a living. Never shot down our ideas, and we love him for that.

Venustiano: Fencing dandy detective with strong morals and a soft spot for women. Something of a foil for the rest of the party.

Corto Alberto Balicci: Mute gunslinger and daredevil. Shares a bizarre telepathic connection with his parrot, Parrot, a smartmouth who speaks for both of them. Specializes in trickshots and action movie scenes.
With an additional pair of bird-eyes, Balicci has a superb sense of space and distance, allowing shots that would otherwise be impossible.

Chuck D. Head: This guy. No, really. Chuck is the body, Head is the detachable head that can be used as a throwing weapon. Chuck specializes in being a scary monster and dealing with other monsters. Head specializes in being a very aerodynamic smartass.

So, three players playing five characters. Huh. The GM took that in a stride, though.

The party worked as detectives in the service of the Doge of Venice. Their assignment: Finding certain sensitive documents that shouldn't end up in the wrong hands, like those of the Rat Queen, a mad scientist with an army of mutant rats.

After some detective work and fighting rats and pig-headed mutant henchmen, the party found themselves looking at a helicopter making its escape in the storm of the decade. Wind blew, lightning struck, but the helicopter seemed to be getting away. The GM had intended this to lead to an exciting helicopter chase scene, with mid-air fighting and lightning striking all around. Pfffft.
Balicci and Parrot devised a plan. Chuck chucked Head up into the sky, and Ballici shot Head, either propelling Head into the helicopter or ricocheting the bullet off his tough skull. The communication failed a bit at this point, so one player thought the first had happened, while the other thought it was the latter.
Either way, the shot was one in a million and thus obviously a success. The helicopter crashed, the documents were recovered and the mission was succesful.

After the session, the GM asked us how we like the game. We, in turn, asked why the hell he would leave this as a one-shot. We wanted more. We got it.

Coming up:
Cardinal BRIAN BLESSED
Chasing a naked assassin with an air gondola
Hunt for the knife man, who is made of knives
The invisible assassins and their seeing-eye animals

Suleman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 11, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Suleman posted:

Coming up:
Cardinal BRIAN BLESSED

Please post all of these.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Suleman posted:

Coming up:
Cardinal BRIAN BLESSED
:suspense:

Oh, Chuck D. Head. I can never remember the name of your game, but I remember you :allears:

EDIT: I remembered now It's Decap Attack, right?

EDIT Two: vvv I am also BLIND.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 11, 2012

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

:suspense:

Oh, Chuck D. Head. I can never remember the name of your game, but I remember you :allears:

EDIT: I remembered now It's Decap Attack, right?

There's a link right there in the post, but I'll give it again http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/fi/en/pc/games/action/decap-attack-starring-chuck-d-head/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Ran the Mr Bubbles adventure for Paranoia for a few of my friends who are all new to tabletop.

It was kind of the most beautiful thing in the world. I killed somebody off in the first minute before they even got to the train car which kind of got all of them plotting and scheming together. Everybody killed everybody on the first dark room which was awesome, and from there they just played a very fun rules-lite game. I would have to say the best part is when one of the troubleshooters went off into the woods and met a bear that was smoking pot and proceeded to befriend the bear (who was wearing sunglasses and a backwards hat) and take him on the party adventure. There was a chase scene where the party's supposed to take off on hoverdiscs but I made it into them riding the bear who was on a skateboard and it worked out well.

Everybody who was playing seemed to enjoy themselves and I think all of them were down to their last clones. They can't wait to play next week. I don't know what to do though. I also need to figure out how to include White Barry (did I mention the bear got stuck in a pipe on the way out and they had to shave its fur off to get it through?).