Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Board certified in Space Law. Payment via bitcoins only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Dagda posted:

Space law is going to keep all the fresh new law grads employed, right guys?

Space law is somewhat more realistic than international panda law.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

nm posted:

Space law is somewhat more realistic than international panda law.

I did some space law this summer. It just dealt with satellites but still, it's space law.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Man, just think of the long-arm statute you'd need...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

joat mon posted:

Ethics hypothetical:

Judge passes client's criminal case for two weeks.
The official court minute is entered as 'case dismissed, client ordered released from custody.'
Nobody notices until client's counsel is prepping of the next court date and discoveres the dismissal.
Client was actually released and cannot be located.

What should counsel do?

Client confidentiality [comment]
Candor to the tribunal [comment]
Preamble and Scope

Forward all case details to firm's loss prevention officer, forward client billing details to accounting department, promptly forget that the client ever existed

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It's not August before 3L until you shave your head.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I just got a spacelaw note approved for publication.

Also, hi thread. Turns out biglaw can be amazing and DA's offices can be terrible.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

Man, just think of the long-arm statute you'd need...

On this episode of Forum Shopping for Bankruptcy Practitioners, we take a look at Ceres' COMI statute and how it relates to section 1507 of the bankruptcy code

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Dude, if space had a good homestead exemption I might start launching clients.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

woozle wuzzle posted:

You wanna go to the moon, Alice?! :bahgawd:

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Also, hi thread. Turns out biglaw can be amazing and DA's offices can be terrible.

You just finished your SA, right? I look forward to hearing more about how amazing BigLaw is after six months of practice. Though, I suspect it will be amazing more in the "it's amazing how far he was able to stick it down my throat despite the tears and vomit" sense.

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 11, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ewr2870 posted:

You just finished your SA, right? I look forward to hearing more about how amazing BigLaw is after six months of practice. Though, I suspect it will be amazing more in the "it's amazing how far he was able to stick it down my throat despite the tears and vomit" sense.

I won't be back there for another year or two depending on how clerkships go but you have my word I will pass on my experiences to lawgoons, if not here then in the channel. Really, I was more surprised by how incredibly tedious the crim work I got from what I thought was my dream job (major metropolitan DA) was compared to the work I had at the firm. The new ADAs at this place work 60-hour weeks too, but they can't take work home with them, associates-degree business students could do their jobs, and they're paid a quarter as much as first-years at my firm.

If BIGLAW turns into eleven-hour workdays of reciting "your honor, [state] is not ready, complaining witness failed to appear, this is the third listing, this case is marked must be tried, this will be the [state]'s motion to withdraw" and then spending evenings and weekends running through dozens-strong lists of the aforementioned complainants begging them to come to court the next time, you will be the first to know.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 11, 2012

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

If BIGLAW turns into eleven-hour workdays of reciting "your honor, [state] is not ready, complaining witness failed to appear, this is the third listing, this case is marked must be tried, this will be the [state]'s motion to withdraw" and then spending evenings and weekends running through dozens-strong lists of the aforementioned complainants begging them to come to court the next time, you will be the first to know.

no, you're right: fourteen-hour days of "non-responsive/responsive" are much better. plus, if you're really good, you get promoted to fifteen-hour days of "defendant objects to request for production no. 1456 on the grounds that it is vague, overbroad, unduly burdensome, and calls for information that is not relevant to any claim or defense."

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Oh boy, I don't know what any of that means! I guess I will just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Didn't you just graduate in May?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 11, 2012

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Oh boy, I don't know what any of that means! I guess I will just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Didn't you just graduate in May?

Last May.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I actually turned that in Monday so I'm done for the biweek the rest of the week. :coolfish:

God you government slackers. I had a case with a drop dead date today.

"Please file for us. We have no idea what to do. Btw, today is the 6 month date. Its cool you didn't have anything else to do right?"

You call those instructions? Those assholes paid for me to take a poo poo today. It was glorious.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

Sorry, space sovereignty is corporate, we only do reorganizations in the asteroid belt

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Picked up some tiny gigs as a defense attorney.

Man this is a joke.

Also a PI firm attempted to poach me from my own practice. Any of you Texas goons want me to recommend you instead?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Two-part OSCAR question: do judges/application recipients see the names I choose for the documents I submit? (Will they be able to recognize my wholly generic cover letters for what they are if I call them something like "California cover letter"?) If so, can I use merge fields for the document labels?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sulecrist posted:

If BIGLAW turns into eleven-hour workdays
oh my sweet summer child

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

oh my sweet summer child

I'd work sixteen without complaint if I had air conditioning and my own chair.

EDIT: Let me be very clear about the two places I worked, because some of my posts on this page read pretty naive. At one of those places, people worked very hard and needed to be on call constantly. At the other, they came in at nine and left at seven or eight every day (except on the weekends, which only required six or seven hours). During this time, they worked constantly, not because they were raising a number but because the system would just break down completely if they didn't. Their tasks were shockingly simple and required dealing with hundreds of very poor, unhappy, dirty people every day. They did not have windows or air conditioning or "business casual" or lunch breaks--they ate when court finished every day, which was generally at three or four in the afternoon. For this, they received and continue to receive perhaps a quarter of what the people at the first place make.

There are certainly bad thing about the first place even if I don't know what they are yet. But there are lots of things about it that are undeniably better than things at the second.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 11, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I would either quit or go on a murder spree if the air conditioning in our office broke down for even five minutes, so I'll concede the point

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Got no offered :smith:. Firm cited fit reasons and some inconsistent work product at the beginning. I'm super bummed and scared that I'm going to become Hookars and have to take 40 bar exams.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Omerta posted:

Got no offered :smith:. Firm cited fit reasons and some inconsistent work product at the beginning. I'm super bummed and scared that I'm going to become Hookars and have to take 40 bar exams.
poo poo dude, so sorry.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Omerta posted:

You're going to need to drink.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

Where in the world were you an ADA? Around here, new prosecutors assigned to the trial courts would expect to do two trials or hearings a day, minimum. Much of the other work you do in the trial court is disposing of cases (either agreeing with counsel or 402'ing the matter), and making sure discovery is coming along properly. It is inconceivable that a junior prosecutor here would stand at the bench SOL'ing all the cases on call (although that has been my fantasy in the past when we were severely understaffed). When you're not in the courtroom, you're either doing paperwork (and the amount varies depending on where you are and how badly the support-staff numbers have been gutted), preparing for a jury trial, doing appellate work, or preparing a response to a legal argument/motion.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 12, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

wacko_- posted:

You're going to need to drink.

Better listen to him, Omerta, he's in pre-med. :v:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ewr2870 posted:

no, you're right: fourteen-hour days of "non-responsive/responsive" are much better. plus, if you're really good, you get promoted to fifteen-hour days of "defendant objects to request for production no. 1456 on the grounds that it is vague, overbroad, unduly burdensome, and calls for information that is not relevant to any claim or defense."

We pay contract attorneys for non-responsive/responsive these days.

(Biglaw really can be good if you're in the right place. Some places are not the right place.)

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Omerta posted:

I'm super bummed and scared that I'm going to become Hookars

You'd have a higher billable rate, no timesheets, and flexible hours.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

woozle wuzzle posted:

You'd have a higher billable rate, no timesheets, and flexible hours.

There's probably room in every city for at least one lawyer who specializes in helping independent prostitutes incorporate and do their taxes. I know someone who used to make quite a bit of money doing marketing/advertising for prostitutes. In sharp contrast to his legitimate clients, they always paid on time and in full.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Where in the world were you an ADA? Around here, new prosecutors assigned to the trial courts would expect to do two trials or hearings a day, minimum. Much of the other work you do in the trial court is disposing of cases (either agreeing with counsel or 402'ing the matter), and making sure discovery is coming along properly. It is inconceivable that a junior prosecutor here would stand at the bench SOL'ing all the cases on call (although that has been my fantasy in the past when we were severely understaffed). When you're not in the courtroom, you're either doing paperwork (and the amount varies depending on where you are and how badly the support-staff numbers have been gutted), preparing for a jury trial, doing appellate work, or preparing a response to a legal argument/motion.

I'll tell you if you get in the channel. It is one of the five largest U.S. cities.

EDIT: The prosecutors do get 1-2 trials or prelims each each day, though, that's why they're in the courtroom until 3:30 p.m. or so. Status takes up the first 4-5 hours.

Also I wasn't an ADA. I'm a 3L.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2012

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I would murder a sacred cow for the privilege you guys have of all your PDs agreeing to bench trials. How do you get them to agree? I've never done a bench trial in a year and a half of my ADA status. Every trial is jury, and every trial is minimum 2 days. We're also incredibly lucky if we can get 2 per week in.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ewr2870 posted:

The secret is to join up with a firm that shovels all that work onto contract attorneys. I did that for the last 8 months, and I have it on good authority that the first years didn't have to deal with that poo poo.

PS ringtail sucks.

Anyway, I end my long, semi-nightmare of being underemployed and being supported by my significant other when I report for a job with the federal government Monday. I am now neither unemployed nor alone. Now that I have a job, this thread will probably depress me a lot less. :v:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 12, 2012

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Elotana posted:

Can any IP folks here recommend a date-tracking program for patents and the like? Ideally I'd like to set up a database for all our prosecution work that we can use to set up automated emails about maintenance/utility fees, since right now our firm does all that stuff manually.

Inprotech. Formerly called Improma, I think. Works wonders if your version is up-to-date and administered properly.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Omerta posted:

Sorry man that's really rough and honestly kind of unfair/unlucky because there's certainly a ton of other SAs out there who are getting offers and didn't to poo poo for it. I'm not sure what you mean by fit reasons but dollars to donuts the reasoning goes beyond your work product at the start or whatever to the fiscal side of things on the firm's end.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Tell me how awful this is. I had a professor during 1L that hates law firms and doesn't want his students to work there, so he artificially deflates the curve to give everyone bad grades to hurt their chances of working there.

Then he waits for OCI to happen and once its over, he re-normalizes everyone's grades to the actual curve, and submits grade changes to the registrar.

No callbacks yet. I really don't like him right now.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Tell me how awful this is. I had a professor during 1L that hates law firms and doesn't want his students to work there, so he artificially deflates the curve to give everyone bad grades to hurt their chances of working there.

Then he waits for OCI to happen and once its over, he re-normalizes everyone's grades to the actual curve, and submits grade changes to the registrar.

That's terrible and wonderful all at once.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Whoa, it's like he thinks law is a legitimate academic discipline. That's hilarious.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

hieronymus posted:

Whoa, it's like he thinks law is a legitimate academic discipline. That's hilarious.

I'm not sure what deliberately loving with your grades to prevent students from getting a job has to do with the academic study of law. Instead, it's just the professor being an rear end in a top hat.

Colorblind, have you talked to your dean of students about this guy? Normally there's not much an administration can do to change how professors grade (it's typically controlled by a college council or similar body made up of the faculty, rather than controlled by the administrative folks), but enough negative feedback and frustration over time might (but probably won't) get him moved to not teaching 1L classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Arcturas posted:

Colorblind, have you talked to your dean of students about this guy? Normally there's not much an administration can do to change how professors grade (it's typically controlled by a college council or similar body made up of the faculty, rather than controlled by the administrative folks), but enough negative feedback and frustration over time might (but probably won't) get him moved to not teaching 1L classes.

Yeah, the administration knows and doesn't like it, but there isn't much they can do. Especially since he is a huge rear end in a top hat and will yell when challenged.