Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Chinatown posted:

That interior is deformed and hilarious beyond words.

Seriously, what is with Asian manufacturers making gauge clusters and dash panels terribly deformed?

And by "asian", you mean Ford? Which is an American company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

And by "asian", you mean Ford? Which is an American company?

Sorry, I min-identified that car as a Toyota. Must have been the slanted gauge cluster.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's where the apex seal used to be.

You mean the sex appeal?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just got home yesterday with my third car ever.

It's a 2001 Peugeot 406 TS4 2.2L, with about 160HP and 122,000km on the clock. Very comfortable partial leather seats, leather steering wheel and knob etc., tasteful blue trim, amazing aircon, great stock stereo (Clarion), firmed up suspension compared to the base model.

Only one previous owner. It's such a comfortable ride and a great long distance tourer. It also responds quite competently to being given the beans, it absolutely flies along the back roads.

Taken immediately after I got home

Taken while giving the interior a clean and leather treatment

Aforementioned very comfortable seats

Plenty of room in the back

Chrome-ringed instruments and a fat little leather steering wheel

I'm a convert, there's just something about French cars that no other manufacturer can match, for good or bad.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
That's your garage?? I think it's cleaner than my kitchen.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Garage looks like it should have a 911 in it imo.
Awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheFrailNinja posted:

That's your garage?? I think it's cleaner than my kitchen.

It's my dad's garage, but he more or less only does electrical work in it (he installs navigation systems, car PCs, land mobile radio for trucking companies etc.). So we don't do much filthy work in there, and he's very meticulous about cleaning up if we ever do.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

KozmoNaut posted:

It's my dad's garage, but he more or less only does electrical work in it (he installs navigation systems, car PCs, land mobile radio for trucking companies etc.). So we don't do much filthy work in there, and he's very meticulous about cleaning up if we ever do.

My garage has a crumbling, uneven concrete floor currently covered in garlic stalks and inches of dust and dirt. It has definitely seen better days. Seeing yours compared to what I'm used to is like :stare:

Have we ever had a "post your garage" thread? I feel like that could be fun, like the "Post your Ranch" thread.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Those are bloody good cars. I had a 406 poverty spec 1.8 estate and it as pretty unkillable, and I was trying to kill it. The suspension needed some easy and cheap work to cure some clonks, all the locks died, and it leaked oil from top to bottom of the dipstick in a week. But I done 20k oil changes and redlined it from cold and it didn't complain.

For a FWD car the handle pretty good too, not far off the BMW's I replaced it with. I had cheap hedgemaster tyres on it and the back end would liftoff oversteer in the wet. Pretty comfy too.

It should shift pretty well with the 2.2 petrol, even the 1.8 would move OK if you thrashed it, being french they aren't exactly . I always fancied a 2.2hdi but they are rare and hold their price well.

If you have't seen Taxi films (not the awful american one) you need to watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqhjyws5QpI&t=46s

stump fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 23, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TheFrailNinja posted:

My garage has a crumbling, uneven concrete floor currently covered in garlic stalks and inches of dust and dirt. It has definitely seen better days. Seeing yours compared to what I'm used to is like :stare:

Have we ever had a "post your garage" thread? I feel like that could be fun, like the "Post your Ranch" thread.

There was one actually, but it's probably in the archives by now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stump posted:

Those are bloody good cars. I had a 406 poverty spec 1.8 estate and it as pretty unkillable, and I was trying to kill it. The suspension needed some easy and cheap work to cure some clonks, all the locks died, and it leaked oil from top to bottom of the dipstick in a week. But I done 20k oil changes and redlined it from cold and it didn't complain.

For a FWD car the handle pretty good too, not far off the BMW's I replaced it with. I had cheap hedgemaster tyres on it and the back end would liftoff oversteer in the wet. Pretty comfy too.

It should shift pretty well with the 2.2 petrol, even the 1.8 would move OK if you thrashed it, being french they aren't exactly . I always fancied a 2.2hdi but they are rare and hold their price well.

If you have't seen Taxi films (not the awful american one) you need to watch it:

It is a really good car, probably the best car quality-wise that Peugeot has ever made, certainly the best on the current market for used cars at reasonable prices. I fully expect to get another 200,000km out of it easily.

Suspension-wise, it's absolutely spot on. I'm not going to say it's the best-handling FWD car I've ever driven, but that's only because I test-drove a Ford Fiesta ST with a completely dialed-in Eibach suspension setup before I bought the 406. Holy hell does Ford know what to do with a small FWD car, it was absolutely telepathic. The Peugeot is larger and heavier, but it has amazing grip and feedback on the Pirelli P7s it's got on there right now. And it's a hell of a lot more comfortable and the stock stereo is like a million billion times better.

We looked around for a 2.2 HDI for my parents to replace their 2001 Citroën C5 with 270,000km on it, but all of the ones that were reasonably priced had ridiculous mileage. That's a good sign I guess, though.

Oh, and I absolutely love the Taxi movies. I originally wanted a 3.0 V6, preferably white like in the movies. But this silved 2.2 with barely any miles practically fell into my lap at a fair price, and I couldn't say no to that :)

The guy I bought it from used to drive a Golf R32 and has just imported a fully-loaded Mk V GTI from Germany. It was such a pleasure to deal with a real enthusiast, we could have talked for hours and hours about cool cars.

And I have a mate who I think is going to absolutely fall in love with the Fiesta ST. I've sent him the details already, I can't wait to hear what he thinks. I'm more into touring sport, he's way into rally sport, it'll be perfect for him.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 24, 2012

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I bought this yesterday and just got it towed home tonight.

A '78 Ford Fairmont XC with a 4.1 litre in-line six. It's completely original and I'm the second owner. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying this a lot during the repairing process: What the hell have I gotten myself into. Right now, I'm really happy that I've got it sitting in my garage but at the same time my first impressions of the car are running through my head (mostly, "gently caress this thing is huge" and "drat my arms hurt, I miss you power steering!").

It's a big change from a '95 Toyota Camry.

I'm still not sure if I should do a project thread or not.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Ansith posted:

A '78 Ford Fairmont XC with a 4.1 litre in-line six. It's completely original and I'm the second owner. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying this a lot during the repairing process: What the hell have I gotten myself into. Right now, I'm really happy that I've got it sitting in my garage but at the same time my first impressions of the car are running through my head (mostly, "gently caress this thing is huge" and "drat my arms hurt, I miss you power steering!").

Yes, you should. That's a great car and I think we (used to?) have some other people working on them here as well, so the project thread would probably be an excellent place for you to ask questions to make the entire "what the hell have I gotten myself into" feeling go away. Or get stronger.
Either way, it'll be a good thread.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Raluek posted:

Doesn't everyone just call it by its RPO? People call the entire LS-derived family "LS1" even if it's not, strange that they call an actual LS1 "the 350" as if it's the same as the gen1 motors.

Wait if someone has a Corvette with an LS3 they still call it an LS1? I just have an LS1 and I've always heard people call it LS1 and never a 350, but I can't imagine still calling them LS1's if they're 3's or 9's or anything. I know they have an actual engine called lsx, but sometimes when I see people type lsx I assume they're using "x" as a variable where they just know it's some kind of LS engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

davebo posted:

Wait if someone has a Corvette with an LS3 they still call it an LS1? I just have an LS1 and I've always heard people call it LS1 and never a 350, but I can't imagine still calling them LS1's if they're 3's or 9's or anything. I know they have an actual engine called lsx, but sometimes when I see people type lsx I assume they're using "x" as a variable where they just know it's some kind of LS engine.

I've seen some people call them all LS1s, and "LSx" isn't even a safe bet because GM actually makes an iron-block they call the LSX which is specifically designed for high boost / large displacement applications. And all of the Vortec-branded V8s that go into trucks, despite being in the same family, get RPOs that don't even have LS in them... LQ4, LM7, etc.

I just go with GenIII/IV because it's the only name that's both accurate and covers the entire family without being confused for a single specific version. I haven't heard anyone call them 350s in years, though; that seemed to go away once everyone realized the GenI SBC was going away for good.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Imagine trying to explain what a L76 is. People have a hard time grasping that its a Gen IV engine, but yet makes less power than the LS2 despite having the same displacement.

I could only imagine the head scratching that must have happened for the late W-body owners with the FWD LS4.

Balassvar
Dec 6, 2011
<----- Lives in Kansas, where everyone seems to be living 10-20 years in the past.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

Cool old beast, please do create a thread on it. What are your plans for it? Putting in a newer motor (like the alloy head version of the 4.1) or leaving it all stock and removing the rust?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I finished building my track miata and decided to get a new daily.

Them hideous wheels have got to go. Bought it for 13,500 with 70k on the odo.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The pug approves of the new car.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Congrats! That's awesome. Did the American cars end up getting the 3-litre twin-turbo Duratec?

But having driven one of those, I have to ask: do you plan on using it daily?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Congrats! That's awesome. Did the American cars end up getting the 3-litre twin-turbo Duratec?

But having driven one of those, I have to ask: do you plan on using it daily?

Yeah, it's the 3 liter Duratec. This one has a few light mods and a tune from Turbohoses so it's at about 420rwhp.

I absolutely do not plan on driving it daily, although it's a LOT smoother and more comfortable than my Elise was. Mostly plan on it being a weekend and occasional light track day car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Is it 4WD with that front tire gap?

I'm kidding. It must be a blast when those turbos get singing. Godspeed sir. :golfclap:

I could never trust myself with that much power and had to spread it out over a couple shitboxes to be able to keep a license (barely).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Holy poo poo.

Let me know if you want a turbo upgrade.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

jamal posted:

Holy poo poo.

Let me know if you want a turbo upgrade.

Literally the last thing this needs is more power. The guy that owns Turbohoses put a single turbo on his and it's pushing 900hp. I can't even imagine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Comrade Flynn posted:

Literally the last thing this needs is more power. The guy that owns Turbohoses put a single turbo on his and it's pushing 900hp. I can't even imagine.

Quit being a vagina.

Also get ahold of HG motorsports and go to a track day with them.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 28, 2012

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Have you run into anybody who knows what a Noble is? That said I like it a lot.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

Ansith posted:

loving wicked man, as the third owner of a 1979 Valiant Regal, I know how you feel (though mine has power steering :smugdog:) We should have a thread for everyone here with classic Aussie cars, there's definitely a few AIers with old Holdens, Fords and Chryslers.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Did you look at the Rossion Q1 before you bought this? I've been looking at the matte black one they have on their site for a month now. I like the front end of the Rossion better, but I'm not sure of the build quality and haven't been able to find one in my area to see in person. It seems like the used Nobles go for around the same as the Rossion too...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

A pug and a noble.
The coolest life.

primaforce
Jul 1, 2012
Awesome having a car that 98% of people will have no idea what it is. You can just make up names for fun lol. How is service on one of those things?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
We are the 2%!

I'm also curious as to how service on them is. I would assume replacement parts (sans engine) would be a bitch.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Just Sold: '02 Wrx

New: '08 350z

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Just a quick shot from my iPhone:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Just purchased yesterday, with our other 3 vehicles parked behind it:

Base manual TDI, pretty pleased with it so far, and within an hour of purchasing it drove past an oil refinery on fire, which seemed appropriate somehow

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Sockington posted:

Is it 4WD with that front tire gap?

I'm kidding. It must be a blast when those turbos get singing. Godspeed sir. :golfclap:

I could never trust myself with that much power and had to spread it out over a couple shitboxes to be able to keep a license (barely).

The car is very scary. I now know why every Noble owner I spoke to has a Spec Miata for track use.

_firehawk posted:

Have you run into anybody who knows what a Noble is? That said I like it a lot.

I've never driven a car that gets more attention, and that includes driving a friend's Diablo for a day. Usually every 10 minutes of driving someone will honk and do a thumbs up or wave. I've had people follow me into gas stations; one guy had a 4 year old kid that just wanted a picture in front of it. So far it's all been really positive and fun. Almost no one knows what it is, even car enthusiasts. I've met exactly 2 people that knew so far.

doogle posted:

Did you look at the Rossion Q1 before you bought this? I've been looking at the matte black one they have on their site for a month now. I like the front end of the Rossion better, but I'm not sure of the build quality and haven't been able to find one in my area to see in person. It seems like the used Nobles go for around the same as the Rossion too...

Yes. The Rossions are quite a bit more expensive than what I got this one for. I did get a REALLY good deal on this car, otherwise I'd have considered the Rossions more.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Well, sold the Hilux for a $3000 profit, and put that profit towards a slightly more practical daily for my 7km city commute

2001 Holden (Opel) Astra 3dr 1.8L with 5spd after spending the whole afternoon cleaning it.

Bobby_Wokkerfella fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 10, 2012

bigpapirick
Aug 9, 2012
2006 Cayman S:

Picked her up in April, I have no regrets.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Not sure if I've posted this here before.

Should have taken it after I washed the S13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Well, sold the Hilux for a $3000 profit, and put that profit towards a slightly more practical daily for my 7km city commute

2001 Holden (Opel) Astra 3dr 1.8L with 5spd after spending the whole afternoon cleaning it.

Best of luck with that, I know most Holden mechanics/wreckers hate the Euro GM stuff