Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYLTudcOaM
This video was posted on the raspberrypi.org blog recently, but this dude goes from very basic intro of how raspberry pi runs, to showing some cool custom daughterboard he made, blinkenlights, homemade inkjet, rpm sensor, remote controlled rover, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I've been working on making mine into a NAS/SABnzbd machine. I was able to watch an HD video using XBMC on my laptop with no problems. I haven't been able to test simultaneous watching/downloading, though.

I'd be nice-ing the crap out of the post process stage if you plan on watching videos simultaneously. The unpack can even make my late 2011 MBP chug if Im not careful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

duck monster posted:

I'd be nice-ing the crap out of the post process stage if you plan on watching videos simultaneously. The unpack can even make my late 2011 MBP chug if Im not careful.

Another potential issue is io - even if the cpu usage is low-priority, it might still keep the io subsystem busy. (Has Linux got some form of priority-based disk scheduling? I've only really looked at FreeBSD lately.)

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

duck monster posted:

I've been pausing the download queue if I want to watch something. That has been working even though it's annoying. I'm working on finding another server so I can use the Pi for RaspBMC, as I had originally planned.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Computer viking posted:

Another potential issue is io - even if the cpu usage is low-priority, it might still keep the io subsystem busy. (Has Linux got some form of priority-based disk scheduling? I've only really looked at FreeBSD lately.)

Yeah there's also ionice. Both nice and ionice are built in to SABNzbd as an option so it's pretty easy to set up.

Unrelated to rasp pi (as it's only got one core) but you can also get a multi-threaded version of par2 to speed things up.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just received one in the mail. I had totally forgot about this.

If I would like to use it as a media center, simply plugged into a TV to watch streaming video off a network share, is there a recommended way to do this?

I can obviously set up an nfs share and just watch videos with vlc or mplayer or whatever, but I guess what I am really looking for is some hacked together interface/system that is Roku-esque or something like that?

I still need to get an SD card and something to get it on wifi...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

http://www.raspbmc.com/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Woah. I am buying the Patriot brand sdcard mentioned a few pages back. What is a small usb wifi adaptor that will "just work" when plugged in? I am reading through http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals , but the few devices that were specifically tested on raspbmc seem to require building modules and unfun things like that.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Woah. I am buying the Patriot brand sdcard mentioned a few pages back. What is a small usb wifi adaptor that will "just work" when plugged in? I am reading through http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals , but the few devices that were specifically tested on raspbmc seem to require building modules and unfun things like that.

This one does not work, at least not without doing extra work that you mentioned. Not much of a help, I know.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Finally ordered one today. Tried to hold out until it was available for shipping right away....that was a waste of time...

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I ordered one on the 18th from Newark. It shipped today.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I ordered one on the 18th from Newark. It shipped today.
I ordered 2 from them around the 6th and they're due in on Friday. Finally.

Anyone picked up the "gertboard" interface kit?

ericIII
Apr 8, 2001
I code for food.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The Asus USB-N10 works almost out of the box on Raspbmc. I had to install the firmware package (firmware-realtek) on the current Raspbmc version; maybe it will be included in future versions.

I did have some trouble getting it to work plugged directly into the Pi, but it works fine using a powered USB hub (which I'm actually now using to power the Pi).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm currently using this, playback is perfect but the UI can be very laggy at times and for some reason I can't get it to automatically use sequential playback, I have to manually queue the next video if I don't want to be dumped back to the folder view.

I'm gonna give openelec a whirl tonight and see if that's any more polished.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

DicksToAsses posted:

I'm currently using this, playback is perfect but the UI can be very laggy at times and for some reason I can't get it to automatically use sequential playback, I have to manually queue the next video if I don't want to be dumped back to the folder view.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out - I'm using XMBC on a jb'd ATV2, and am planning on using 1 Pi to to run XMBC - I don't mind if it's sluggish as long as teh playback is good, but if there's a better media center available that doesn't have the ui issues that'd be cool.

Maybe I should just get a half dozen SD cards and load a different OS on each depending on what I want to do.

Is anyone using an HDMI->DVI conversion cable (like this one from Monoprice)? - I don't have any HDMI native monitors for playing with and this seems like a solution.

Botanigo
Jul 12, 2008

DicksToAsses posted:

I'm currently using [Raspbmc], playback is perfect but the UI can be very laggy at times and for some reason I can't get it to automatically use sequential playback, I have to manually queue the next video if I don't want to be dumped back to the folder view.

I haven't tried OpenElec, but I can recommend Xbian, the UI is much, much faster than Raspbmc. Not to say it's lag-free, and there are some bugs (about the same as Raspbmc) but getting lots of updates and bugfixes.

I was also very impressed that HDMI-CEC (so you can control the UI using your TV remote) works out of the box. Another few months and I'll be able to recommend this setup (Raspberry Pi + XBian) to friends as an ultra-cheap HTPC setup, I think.

Botanigo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 31, 2012

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Botanigo posted:

I haven't tried OpenElec, but I can recommend Xbian, the UI is much, much faster than Raspbmc. Not to say it's lag-free, and there are some bugs (about the same as Raspbmc) but getting lots of updates and bugfixes.

I was also very impressed that HDMI-CEC (so you can control the UI using your TV remote) works out of the box. Another few months and I'll be able to recommend this setup (Raspberry Pi + XBian) to friends as an ultra-cheap HTPC setup, I think.

I've been having issues with Xbian playing back certain videos. It likes to barf on nonstandard resolution videos. Corrupted video is the most common side effect. Though, sometimes Xbian just sits and spins on the loading thing and I have to reboot the rpi.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

porktree posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out - I'm using XMBC on a jb'd ATV2, and am planning on using 1 Pi to to run XMBC - I don't mind if it's sluggish as long as teh playback is good, but if there's a better media center available that doesn't have the ui issues that'd be cool.

Maybe I should just get a half dozen SD cards and load a different OS on each depending on what I want to do.

Is anyone using an HDMI->DVI conversion cable (like this one from Monoprice)? - I don't have any HDMI native monitors for playing with and this seems like a solution.

Openelec seems to be pretty much the same as raspbmc, except it doesn't want to index all my TV shows neatly like raspbmc did without prompting. I think I'm going to stick with raspbmc for now and see if it gets any smoother with development.

Botanigo posted:

I tried this, and much like the poster above me found there to be a bunch of weird niggling issues where it would lock up or completely fail to play files that the other builds had no problem with for no reason.

The UI is a lot faster though, you're right. If they could get raspbmc working as fast, or get xbian to be as stable, then they would definitely be onto a winner.

Also it looks like continuous playback straight up isn't supported in the media players they're using in these builds, hopefully that gets fixed soon.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 31, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have xbian up and running. Easy as pie.

I am trying to connect to it with the android XBMC Remote app. It can connect to the webserver on port 80, but then it wants to connect to some EventServer via UDP port 9777. I can't find anything in the xmbc gui config referring to this.

Anyone know what it is asking for?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Wow xbian really is great, I hadn't heard of it before and just switched over tonight. The difference in menu responsiveness is hard to believe. And I didn't even know HDMI could do this whole CEC thing, it worked first thing with no configuration required at all. No need to use android xbmc remote anymore

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

peepsalot posted:

Wow xbian really is great, I hadn't heard of it before and just switched over tonight. The difference in menu responsiveness is hard to believe. And I didn't even know HDMI could do this whole CEC thing, it worked first thing with no configuration required at all. No need to use android xbmc remote anymore

God damnit now I want a new tv.

Botanigo
Jul 12, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am trying to connect to it with the android XBMC Remote app. It can connect to the webserver on port 80, but then it wants to connect to some EventServer via UDP port 9777. I can't find anything in the xmbc gui config referring to this.

Anyone know what it is asking for?

Yeah, you need to click around in Settings and turn this on. Depending on what skin you're using, it's in different places. It'll be called something like "Allow other computers to control XBMC". There are at least two different bits you need to turn on, kind of annoying.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I have a setup on an old (windows) desktop currently running sickbeard, sabnzbd, couch potato and XBMC. This draws huge amounts of power and makes some noise, too.

I have two raspberry Pis available, and wanted to use one for sickbeard, sabnzbd and couch potato, and the other for XBMC: this struck me as the best split, load-wise, so as to keep the XBMC Pi responsive.

I'm pretty confident about setting the communcations layer up: the relevant software all runs happily to non-localhost IP addresses with specified ports. The thing that has been putting me off is the fact that I have plenty of TV series, films etc stored already. Has anyone already ported from an existing XBMC or sabnzbd installation to a new one on their Pi? I'm going to miss vital config files, I am sure :(

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011
Mine arrived last week, I went through different ISOs and distributions to see its potential, it arrived at work address, all my colleges were excited and gave ideas, one of them was to install some of our systems, I am still trying to adapt some of the windows dependent code.
But one thing I saw was that networking on the Pi consumes lots of cpu :( so in all intensive networking applications I got a slowdown, what is your general experience with networking? like streamming?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Shane-O-Mac posted:

So If I remembered everything correctly, your Pi should be all set up in terms of basic OS stuff. I followed this guide to install SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato...

Brilliant, thanks: that was just what I was looking for, a couple of posts up, but I had somehow skipped p15 of the thread.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

Endie posted:

Brilliant, thanks: that was just what I was looking for, a couple of posts up, but I had somehow skipped p15 of the thread.

Good luck with it. I found that the Pi just wasn't strong/fast enough for what I needed to do, and switched to a different machine. Now I'm using the Pi for RaspBMC.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Idg today linked to http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/ "Computer Lab Raspberry Pi Tutorials - Baking Pi - Operating Systems Development"
This website is here to guide you through the process of developing very basic operating systems on the Raspberry Pi!

Oh how i wish i could have gotten started with something like this when i was a kid. Early 90s i bought an Amiga 500 and looking through some of the computer magazines i read back then i see that i did some tests like "are you thinking like a programmer?" and there was a ton of Aros code etc, but i never ever tried doing anything with it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Who's running Xbian? I put it on my Pi and let it chug along and update the libraries (overnight) - but I seem to be having a lot of issues streaming even low quality (SD) content from my media share. The same stuff runs without a hiccup through XBMC on my ATV 2, or streamed wirelessly to my iPad (using Airvideo). I'm going to load up a card with RaspBMC and see how that does with playback. Or, are there any tweaks I should try with Xbian?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Pi shipped! Will be in Monday! :)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

porktree posted:

Who's running Xbian? I put it on my Pi and let it chug along and update the libraries (overnight) - but I seem to be having a lot of issues streaming even low quality (SD) content from my media share. The same stuff runs without a hiccup through XBMC on my ATV 2, or streamed wirelessly to my iPad (using Airvideo). I'm going to load up a card with RaspBMC and see how that does with playback. Or, are there any tweaks I should try with Xbian?

I was able to stream HD to an Xbian no problem. I then had to borrow the SD card so it is very offline at the moment.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

porktree posted:

What kind of content is it? If it's encoded in H264 or MPEG4 then it should play no problem, but if it's MPEG2 then it'll struggle even with SD unless you buy the MPEG2 hardware decoder licence.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

porktree posted:

I'm running XBian and it's been working great for me. Having run raspbmc previously i can tell you that you will be taking a huge step backwards doing that.

It shouldn't take overnight to update. Only took a couple minutes for me if i remember correctly. Are you using a wifi dongle with a spotty connection or something? Just sounds to me like you are getting terrible network speeds.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
So the way I understand it, the GPU has its own ROM and it communicated with the CPU through shared memory.

I was looking through these tutorials, which were pretty decent, but unfortunately it doesn't have anything for HDMI.

I imagine getting the GPU to transmit over HDMI is a lot more complicated, but does anyone know of a tutorial that gets it working (not using Linux or another OS). It would be pretty amazing if the GPU rom could speak HDMI/EDID/DDC and we didn't need a super complicated driver to get it up and running.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Been thinking about getting one of these; I have only just started learning programming, but it looks like a useful tool. Plus if (when) I manage to break it horribly, it's only $25 lost! :downs:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For anyone thinking about picking one of these up, they are releasing a 2.0 shortly.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1331244/raspberry-pi-revision-20-board-announced

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I imagine getting the GPU to transmit over HDMI is a lot more complicated, but does anyone know of a tutorial that gets it working (not using Linux or another OS). It would be pretty amazing if the GPU rom could speak HDMI/EDID/DDC and we didn't need a super complicated driver to get it up and running.

That tutorial works with the framebuffer, so it should work with HDMI as well.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Internet Explorer posted:

For anyone thinking about picking one of these up, they are releasing a 2.0 shortly.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1331244/raspberry-pi-revision-20-board-announced

No performance changes - they haven't any planned - but a bunch of tweaks here and there, and mounting holes on the PCB.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Are these still hard to find? I went to the distributors on the website and looks like they're out of stock for a while for USA. :(

Are there any local places that source it at all? I guess I'm just spoiled by newegg and amazon, ha.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Are these still hard to find? I went to the distributors on the website and looks like they're out of stock for a while for USA. :(

Are there any local places that source it at all? I guess I'm just spoiled by newegg and amazon, ha.

I ordered mine aug 28 and it shipped the other day, will arrive Monday. Went through Newark/element14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EgoEgress posted:

Been thinking about getting one of these; I have only just started learning programming, but it looks like a useful tool. Plus if (when) I manage to break it horribly, it's only $25 lost! :downs:

If you're just starting out with programming, you're probably better off on a PC or Mac. The RPi is limited enough that it'd be a massive pain to run a debugger or modern IDE; even a cheap, old PC can run one without a sweat. And, if you're worried about breaking things, a virtual machine is probably a better option than a dedicated piece of hardware: it costs nothing and no matter what you do you can always just restore from a backup snapshot.

The RPi's real advantage is that it makes embedded development easy; it has way more power and flexibility than a microcontroller, but nowhere near the electrical, cooling, and space issues of a full PC. If you've already got an idea for a project that involves putting something on a network (anything from a TV running a digital sign, to a local streaming video playback box, to a networked IR blaster, to a tiny home NAS), the Pi makes a great physical platform. And, if you've got a little experience it's a great platform to learn embedded development on. But, if you just want to "learn about programming" in general, it's probably better to start out on something with a bit more power to it.