Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Grumbles posted:

They're all genuine lunatics, which gives me high hopes for this game indeed.

The lead artist for the project lives just slightly above the level of what I'd expect of a squatter, and the concept artist lives on an island and burns his rejected drawings for kindling.

I instantly love both of them.

Fun fact Something pointless I noticed: the lead is wearing a shirt for Atomic Books during part of the video, which is an indie book store in Baltimore run by the former EIC of GameShark.com:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I agree that this episode was the best thus far. They have some really great people working on this, and I can't believe I watched that entire thing straight (like 45 minutes?) and was still intrigued enough to want to watch more.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My loot just arrived, huzzah! Gonna wear that shirt every day for a month or so.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, that episode made me feel like a real piece of poo poo, because I know I'll never get a job that cool :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zenintrude posted:

The lead artist for the project lives just slightly above the level of what I'd expect of a squatter, and the concept artist lives on an island and burns his rejected drawings for kindling.

I instantly love both of them.

Fun fact Something pointless I noticed: the lead is wearing a shirt for Atomic Books during part of the video, which is an indie book store in Baltimore run by the former EIC of GameShark.com:

I was kind of ready to hate the third guy's super sketchy style until I realized that he was pretty much directly responsible for Psychonaut's off-kilter art style.

Demiurge4 posted:

Best episode so far by far, although I kinda felt like Tim was hovering a lot during the process. Maybe he just doesn't get to be very involved any more, with most of his responsibilities on management?

Well, two things. One, it was an episode about art and Tim's obviously not an artist. There's not much room for him to get much more hands on in that process. At least not in this stage. Two, Tim actually mentioned in that episode that they hired a business guy just so he can back out of a lot of his managerial responsibilities and get back to taking a more hands-on design role.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 12, 2012

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Showing how games are made "warts and all" does kind of mean this. Tim doesn't hover over everyone's shoulder all the time, because that builds pressure and makes them unable to work creatively. He has to call them in for meetings to discuss what they've produced and whether to throw or use something, but right now they are at the "keep everything, because that is what the backers are paying for", so odds are we'll eventually get some nice scanned art to download in the future. Possibly the art-book will feature these sketches.

Noone in games design does everything. We're going to get to see a lot of small people do stuff in the future too, I bet.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Psychonauts has a really neat concept aesthetic but unfortunately the tech is not up to snuff to really bring it out. Maybe it was a technological limitation of the time, but all the actors look really awkward. The backgrounds are very nice though, especially the black velvet painting level.
I don't know what that means for this game, with its very limited budget, if the game is all 2D then it probably wont be a very big issue.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

notZaar posted:

Psychonauts has a really neat concept aesthetic but unfortunately the tech is not up to snuff to really bring it out. Maybe it was a technological limitation of the time, but all the actors look really awkward. The backgrounds are very nice though, especially the black velvet painting level.
I don't know what that means for this game, with its very limited budget, if the game is all 2D then it probably wont be a very big issue.

You can make some really incredible scenes in 2D, the cutscenes from Dawn of War 2 come to mind. Tim (or someone else) mentioned that the game is going to be all painted backgrounds with interactive assets on top to click on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Even if it looks as good as the lumberjack 'demo' (and it's likely to look quite a bit better) I'll be pretty happy. It's a nice, stylized look.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah all the animation and art I've seen so far even in the early pre-anything demo stages looks really cool.

With each new documentary episode that comes out I regret not shelling out the extra $10 or whatever it was for the download option. I'm really hoping they offer it as an addon or something. I'm just cheap and never imagined the documentary would turn out as awesome as it has.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah all the animation and art I've seen so far even in the early pre-anything demo stages looks really cool.

With each new documentary episode that comes out I regret not shelling out the extra $10 or whatever it was for the download option. I'm really hoping they offer it as an addon or something. I'm just cheap and never imagined the documentary would turn out as awesome as it has.

Well, if you just want to download the episodes, just get them out of your browser cache. That tier also had 'extras' and the soundtracks to the game and the documentary, but the episodes you can download and save right now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seriously. I hope the game is as entertaining as the documentary! :shobon:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

That episode was amazing. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth out of this kickstarter.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Fintilgin posted:

Seriously. I hope the game is as entertaining as the documentary! :shobon:

I have high hopes because it always seems like Double Fine wants to tell a story then some publisher makes them add a game to it and the game never works out well but the story and characters usually own, so in an adventure game they got nothing to do but make a story and character and do what they do best.

I really wish they would make cartoons or movies or something, like Pixar

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
I just got my shirt and poster and other stuff. I know what I'm wearing for my date this weekend :c00lbert:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I got my shirt and poster last week. I need to find a decent frame for the poster but I'm definitely wearing this shirt for the first day of class next week.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The story about the dad keeping the guy's drawings when he was a kid and him finding them after his dad passed was the most :cry: thing in the world.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

A new episode came out today for backers. It's pretty tense, because they start to leave pre-production and run into their first major problems. I felt stressed out watching it.

I can't imagine what they would have made with the original $400,000 budget. A ten minute flash game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't know, but that episode seriously was pretty intense. It wasn't a great thing to watch knowing that I have a whole lot of deadlines next week. :smith:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Giggily posted:

I don't know, but that episode seriously was pretty intense. It wasn't a great thing to watch knowing that I have a whole lot of deadlines next week. :smith:
I think anyone who has even contributed to a minor creative work would sweat a little at Tim's lines about having to wait for ideas to happen that make the project feasible. It's a relatable feeling, except the stakes are enormous with them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah the new episode was kind of stressful. Hopefully it's all worth it when there's the big triumphant release episode down the line!

Also I can't believe how good these minidocs are. Great quality, lengthy and a short turnaround time. It's like the "Hard Knocks" of video game shows, Spike TV oughta be paying them to document a different game studio every year.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

epitasis posted:

Also I can't believe how good these minidocs are. Great quality, lengthy and a short turnaround time. It's like the "Hard Knocks" of video game shows, Spike TV oughta be paying them to document a different game studio every year.

The 2 Player guys are really talented. I bet they're relieved that they have some drama and tension and creativity to work with instead of just Notch just spinning around in his office chair and then deciding to fly the whole company to Paris for lunch.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So...new update is up. Looks like things are going a lot more smoothly then it was last month.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When are they going to finish part 2 of the Day of the Tentacle sidequest :mad:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

When are they going to finish part 2 of the Day of the Tentacle sidequest :mad:

I would pay up to 60 bucks for a fully commented and filmed video of Tim playing through DOTT, Full Throttle, and Grim. Hopefully they will do that too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Al! posted:

I would pay up to 60 bucks for a fully commented and filmed video of Tim playing through DOTT, Full Throttle, and Grim. Hopefully they will do that too.

I absolutely loved the moments in the first part (and now in the Full Throttle one) where Tim has revelations about the fans being right about the issues with the puzzles.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I absolutely loved the moments in the first part (and now in the Full Throttle one) where Tim has revelations about the fans being right about the issues with the puzzles.

The part where he explained that Full Throttle wasn't intended to be post apocalyptic but that they stuck in a song from Peter McConnel's friends which mentioned the apocalypse made everyone think it was, that was revelatory.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Full Throttle was apocalyptic? I thought it was just about some backwater part of Arizona or something.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It's not apocalyptic.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I just tried signing up for the backer forums but apparently I already registered ages ago and just don't have access :saddowns: Everyone's talking about these documentaries and I want to watch them now, drat it! I sent a message to support. It was people mentioning them talking about DOTT that pushed me over the edge, that's one of my favourite games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You can watch the documentaries on the Kickstarter page for each update.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been wondering, by what metric is Tim using when he describes his games' lengths? Because he calls Secret of Monkey Island a game that takes 40 hours to beat... that's a pretty outrageous time. I know I took no longer than 10 hours without a guide, and HowLongToBeat gives a median completion time of 8 hours for "Main Game + Extras". Then he calls Full Throttle something like a 15 hour game, doesn't he?

It just seems strange because adventure games have always been criticized for being too short since the very beginning, but he's calling his early games really long.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've been wondering, by what metric is Tim using when he describes his games' lengths? Because he calls Secret of Monkey Island a game that takes 40 hours to beat... that's a pretty outrageous time. I know I took no longer than 10 hours without a guide, and HowLongToBeat gives a median completion time of 8 hours for "Main Game + Extras". Then he calls Full Throttle something like a 15 hour game, doesn't he?

It just seems strange because adventure games have always been criticized for being too short since the very beginning, but he's calling his early games really long.

It wasn't easy knowing how long you'd played a game in the early nineties. Nothing on your computer kept track of that, and it's not as though there was some omnipresent lunatic hovering over your shoulder with a stopwatch. Also you could take your time with a game because there was no massive backlog, and with an adventure game that was your only choice to start with because there were no FAQs or guides or walkthroughs or hint lines that you could call overseas without your mother busting a cap in your rear end. So you sometimes went a little bit at a time, particularly when stuck. And lots of adventure game enthusiasts these days have anecdotes about how they learned English from Monkey Island, so on top of all the other variables, and the varying degrees of creativity between players, and the age variable, there was also the language barrier, which we chipped away at, at a snail's pace. I subsequently have no idea how long it took me to finish The Secret of Monkey Island. Probably over 30 hours. Over 40? I have no idea. I'm almost positive I took over 40 hours on Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. The estimates Tim gave for Monkey Island and Full Throttle seem to have just about the correct ratios to each other, at least.

Also if you're going to claim that adventure games have "always been criticized for being too short since the very beginning" when they easily lasted a month each, I'm going to have to ask you to cite some sources. If "the very beginning" is "since the Internet" then that's a completely invalid answer because it's kind of true what Tim and Ron have said about the Internet sort of ruining adventure games. I say "kind of true" because it's up to everyone by themselves to decide if they want to ruin adventure games for themselves. I decided with the Telltale Sam & Max games that I did, and I kind of regret it, but I would regret it more if they were better games. I decided to play Hector the "proper" way because it kind of had that sense of fun that old adventure games did, and subsequently came to the conclusion that it was not only a vastly superior game, but also a vastly superior experience. So take that how you will. Maybe adventure games are just poo poo now and that's why no one wants to take the time to think about them. All the ones made by Pendulo certainly are. Maybe you have to really dig around for the good ones like the Hector trilogy, and possibly that new Edna & Harvey sequel. I just don't even know. This post has gone on for far too long, so I'm putting an end to it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tunahead posted:

Maybe adventure games are just poo poo now and that's why no one wants to take the time to think about them. All the ones made by Pendulo certainly are. Maybe you have to really dig around for the good ones like the Hector trilogy, and possibly that new Edna & Harvey sequel. I just don't even know. This post has gone on for far too long, so I'm putting an end to it.

If you're looking for decent point and clicks, I really enjoyed The Journey Down and Deponia this year.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really like The Dream Machine, too, though not all the episodes are out yet.

Also, pretty much every Wadjet Eye game is gold.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

notZaar posted:

Full Throttle was apocalyptic? I thought it was just about some backwater part of Arizona or something.

It was a bit of a dystopian near-future setting, I get a sense that the world had largely seen better days especially since fuel was being heavily guarded.

That was a cool setting, drat.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Holy crap, why hasn't anyone posted this yet:

https://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Megazver posted:

Holy crap, why hasn't anyone posted this yet:

https://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

I want all these games to be made. Particularly Brad Muir's project, JP's project, and Autonomous.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Voted for Spacebase DF-9, Hack N' Slash, the White Birch and Milgrim. :toot:

Hoping this will cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Maybe I heard what I wanted to hear, but Brad Muir's pitch sounded like a modernized Rampage. Rampage was pretty bad rear end.

• Locked thread