Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Picked up the Pre Vizsla Mando fighter at lunch today, the seating arrangement looks a little uncomfortable. Also I figured the black lightsaber looking dealy was some kind of cortosis club or something, but apparently there's a black bladed lightsaber running around in that clone wars series.

The wings seem a bit wobbly, they're held in by 6 technic pins but are soooo long. Other than that the ship is pretty cool I guess. The use of the ball joint to rotate the body instead of that big gear piece separates it pretty well from the T6.

Oh, and Pre Viszla comes with his own sand colored Joker hairpiece, which I can't wait to try out on so many different other figs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Is that the one with Frodo and the beer keg and whatnot? I just saw that at TRU today not 20 minutes ago.

Yep that one and a Orc polybag that should be coming out as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:siren: Knock-off Lego trip report :siren:

I love steam trains, I think they're the coolest thing in the universe. I got the Lego "Creator" steam engine set a few years back and liked it, and on a whim I started poking around on eBay and found THESE:

There's a whole bunch of little trains in the series and they were like $4 a pop for each one, so I said "gently caress it" and picked up the two pictured.

THE GOOD: the pieces actually hold together surprisingly tightly. It seems to be pretty good quality. The trains both look cool, I don't feel I wasted my money given what I spent on them. I think I had like 1 piece between the two sets that didn't want to "grip" well.

THE BAD: The red train pictured above isn't actually red, it's brown. It's not a dealbreaker, it's just not as visually interesting as it could have been. Also the red one was missing a vital piece used to assemble that front "lamp" which sucks pretty hard, but that's okay.

For the money I thought they were pretty cool. v:shobon:v You can find them (and the other sets in the series) on eBay or Amazon by searching for "mini train building block" or something similar.

Also if anyone has other Lego (or knock-off lego) steam train recommendations, by all means hook me up. :toot:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

:siren: Knock-off Lego trip report :siren:

I love steam trains, I think they're the coolest thing in the universe. I got the Lego "Creator" steam engine set a few years back and liked it, and on a whim I started poking around on eBay and found THESE:

There's a whole bunch of little trains in the series and they were like $4 a pop for each one, so I said "gently caress it" and picked up the two pictured.

THE GOOD: the pieces actually hold together surprisingly tightly. It seems to be pretty good quality. The trains both look cool, I don't feel I wasted my money given what I spent on them. I think I had like 1 piece between the two sets that didn't want to "grip" well.

THE BAD: The red train pictured above isn't actually red, it's brown. It's not a dealbreaker, it's just not as visually interesting as it could have been. Also the red one was missing a vital piece used to assemble that front "lamp" which sucks pretty hard, but that's okay.

For the money I thought they were pretty cool. v:shobon:v You can find them (and the other sets in the series) on eBay or Amazon by searching for "mini train building block" or something similar.

Also if anyone has other Lego (or knock-off lego) steam train recommendations, by all means hook me up. :toot:

Errr... the Emerald Night?!

Those knock offs are cool, are there any non Lego clone parts in them?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have no idea, and I don't know what Emerald Night is. :saddowns:

Edit-- holy poo poo that's like a $200 retired lego set. :catstare:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

I have no idea, and I don't know what Emerald Night is. :saddowns:

Edit-- holy poo poo that's like a $200 retired lego set. :catstare:

Lol I paid $200 retail for that :australia:
It's the most badass train so far though.

I'd like to recreate some of those knockoffs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well if anyone cares, I could scan the instructions/parts lists for both sets I suppose. :)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

Well if anyone cares, I could scan the instructions/parts lists for both sets I suppose. :)

That'd be great, thanks :)
Unless that's frowned upon, though Lego supply their instructions online anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's also the Hogwart's Express, but it's not really any cheaper.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got finished with the Big Rig Tow-Truck, and that was a really fun build. Ranks up there with the VW Van. There is some seriously clever design in it too, what with the gearing for the wheels and the system for how they attached the sliding bed on the truck.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

VaultAggie posted:

Any idea when we're supposed to get series 8?

Really soon. I'd wager September 1st. They're all on display on minifigures.lego.com now.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

vrunt posted:

Really soon. I'd wager September 1st. They're all on display on minifigures.lego.com now.

Awesome, thanks! I'm really looking forward to this line and a bunch of lego minifigs are the perfect way to decorate my apartment.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Colonial Air Force posted:

There's also the Hogwart's Express, but it's not really any cheaper.

It's the only train we currently have, and people say it's crap compared to the likes of the Emerald Night, especially because it doesn't use proper steam train wheels and bits. My wife just likes it for Harry Potter related reasons, and the Anglia that came with it sits nicely by The Burrow.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Weird, a lot of pieces in those sets look exactly like lego pieces. Don't expect these things to be around too long.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They don't have patent protection, so what would they sue over? I think the whole kit would have to be a rip off of a Lego kit, then you could get copyright protection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wargamerROB posted:

Weird, a lot of pieces in those sets look exactly like lego pieces. Don't expect these things to be around too long.
I can safely say that none of the pieces have the little "lego" logo on the raised studs, if that makes a difference.

The trains are all similar to this Creator set from several years ago, but they're still different.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 10, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If they said "Lego" then yeah that would be a trademark problem. On copyright it would be eligible for protection, but I don't know how similar they would have to be (idea-expression dichotomy). You can't protect the idea of a block built train, but you can't exactly copy it. Not sure where that line would be in this hypo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dogen posted:

If they said "Lego" then yeah that would be a trademark problem. On copyright it would be eligible for protection, but I don't know how similar they would have to be (idea-expression dichotomy). You can't protect the idea of a block built train, but you can't exactly copy it. Not sure where that line would be in this hypo.

It really comes down to who has the most money in their legal department, but my guess would be that the company making the knockoff doesn't care, would never show up to court, and would still make these trains.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

vrunt posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. The Alien overlord is an overlordess? :aaa:

She even has lipstick on her upper 'lip'.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

TRU in the North Texas area has the Thor polybag free with any $20 purchase, to bad they where sold out of them in my area. Picked up the LOTR polybag at least, pretty neat little set for $5.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I really don't have any more response to this than :monocle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickfrenzy/sets/72157630914408000/with/7717701618/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

I think I remember seeing his in-progress pictures awhile ago, and the end result is pretty fantastic. 21 months of building though, drat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It weighs 135 lbs. :stare:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool in execution, but if only it was a different ship. The Serenity is one of the ugliest ship designs ever.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cool in execution, but if only it was a different ship. The Serenity is one of the ugliest ship designs ever.

That's a funny way to spell "awesomest" (which I realize isn't a word but goddammit it's pretty drat awesome).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've had turds that were better designed than the Serenity.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You should build it in LEGO.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Your turds must be literal works of art, because the Serenity is awesome. :colbert:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It must take practice being this wrong.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A lot of goons are coming down on you so I'll back you up on this: Serenity looks like what would happen if Joss Whedon took a squat and busted a grumpy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

It must take practice being this wrong.

Says the man who hasn't seen my turds.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Says the man who hasn't seen my turds.

Well put your turds where your mouth is then sunshine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hah, somebody sure takes their sci-fi a little too seriously.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hah, somebody sure takes their sci-fi a little too seriously.

Lol, I thought we were talking purely from a design point of view? I'm not interested in debating the merits of the show, but the design off that ship is great :colbert:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was speaking from a design point of view. I mean, I think the show is terrible too (much like everything Whedon touches), but I was just speaking purely of the ship.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was speaking from a design point of view. I mean, I think the show is terrible too (much like everything Whedon touches), but I was just speaking purely of the ship.

Well I'm sure everyone finds this fascinating so let's just agree to disagree. But that guy's build is a work of art.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Check out all the control panels on the ships's bridge :drat:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well... That was interesting.

Who has MOC's?

I don't.

After life and jobs got out of the way I finally got to build the Vampyre Hearse. As excited as I was for it, I'm starting to feel that this series is a little lackluster. I thought that the builds for Alien Conquest were much better thought out and had a fun "not quite" complexity that could appeal to both young and old. Monster Fighters so far, for me, is "Here. Have some cool minifigs, a semblance of what's printed on the box, and a play function that may or may not work properly".

I still have yet to unpack the large Pick-a-Brick cup that I put together in May or June and take photos of it, like I promised. Let's just say that the guy who likes control panels would like to see them.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I'm thinking of starting a Lego Club at my university! It's probably not going to happen until next year or so as it's still in the idea phase now, but I want to create a group that will build a part of the school every year. So I've been working on a prototype for the first building. This is what I have so far!

It's where I stayed for my first year in university so I felt like I should be the first building I should try to make. Bonus points to those who recognize it!

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I'm thinking of starting a Lego Club at my university! It's probably not going to happen until next year or so as it's still in the idea phase now, but I want to create a group that will build a part of the school every year. So I've been working on a prototype for the first building. This is what I have so far!

It's where I stayed for my first year in university so I felt like I should be the first building I should try to make. Bonus points to those who recognize it!

Recognized it from the top of the building as I scrolled down the page.

Lincoln or Morrill Tower at Ohio State.