Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Niggurath posted:

Just doing a simple spell check in Word, or any program, would have easily weeded out a lot of the spelling issues. Also giving some example of actual turns or gameplay would be extremely helpful, because you've given outlines of the rules and how things should work but I was a bit lost in all of it. Also you don't need to point out and mention over and over Battlepods. It's cool if that's where you got the formatting from but you really don't need to mention it. Also please don't use AOL speak (i.e. lol, rofl, or poo poo like that).
My Word refuses to spell check English text :/
I'm looking for an online spell checker. If that doesn't work I'll try to download OpenOffice, maybe.

Removing redundant Battlepods references.

Removing aol slang (I think I let slip through a "lol" in the original post, sorry).

Adding some round examples.

Thank you for your feedback!

EDIT: spell check completed; now it should be more reader-friendly. Now I have to write some examples (but it's quite easy, actually: think Heroquest but with PvP and with semi-randomized item generation ala Diablo), meanwhile here's the spell checked version

Test Post

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

e: I just realized, he's breaking the 3 month rule with this. The first and only English release of Ys Origin was on May 31 of this year.

Probably worth pointing out here that LP'ing Ys Origin is not breaking the 3 month rule.

Technically the first English release for Ys Origin was the English Translation Patch Doppiapunta released in October of last year.

This is running off the precedent of that Persona 2 Innocent Sin (the one we didn't get on PS1 if I messed up the subtitle) SSLP from a while back where they were allowed to run the fan-translated version even though the game had been announced for a release on the PSP a few months following.

e: Unless that LP was shut down and I didn't notice.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 11, 2012

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Don't cite precedent to me. I co-chaired the committee to review the proposal to change the colour of the cover of the book that precedent is in.

We kept it grey.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

Brainamp posted:

It still baffles me when people think that LP's are a good way to make money.

Maybe I should quit my job and make my living off of recording lovely, unfunny, and no-effort facecam LPs.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Don't cite precedent to me. I co-chaired the committee to review the proposal to change the colour of the cover of the book that precedent is in.

We kept it grey.

I think this LP would be right up your alley, Skippy.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
As a professional bureaucrat, this LP pleases me.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Nidoking posted:

You find a lot of people who like that sort of thing in Youtube comments. Not so many on Something Awful. If you're good at what you do, this sort of thing can work, but if you want to become good at it, you're much better off doing an LP of a game you know and love to start with.

This comment was very helpful. I started off watching LP's from Something Awful & the ones I latched on to were the ones I have described in my previous posts. I understand from the reaction that I have got from this test post that it may not be the most popular thread on the forum, but everything else that has been said is purely subjective.

I am not here to argue with anyone, simply voice my opinions on the comments I've gotten. If I had played the game before I wouldn't enjoy replaying it as much as the first time. I'd have more to talk about, yes, but focusing on chat purely from the game itself during the long action scenes would be boring for me.

I am mostly doing this as a hobby & a confidence booster. I would rather have fun failing than succeeding and not enjoying myself.

I appreciate all the help so far. It's clear that everyone that has responded has very similar opinions on what makes a good LP. Although they may differ from my own, I will likely try to adopt them in future videos if I can confidently do so

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Doesn't surprise me that I posted right before the best and then worst LP.

A wolf, crane and tiger walk into a bar...: Let's Play Total War: Shogun 2 - Rise of the Samurai

Here is an example combat video as promised, the ingame combat sounds are too low, something about uploading it to youtube made it softer, I'll get that sorted.

Thoughts, opinions, technical issues?

Cheers.

e: Added my SSLP posts to make it all in one stop for people.

Test OP Post 1
Test Quick Reference Post 1

Click to view example combat video

e2: vvvvv You made me freak out for a second there, mate!

shalcar fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 11, 2012

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
How about you go do it somewhere else then? Clearly it seems people don't want a LP of that around here.

edit: Not the one that just posted. The one above the new test post.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Retrocalypse posted:

If I had played the game before I wouldn't enjoy replaying it as much as the first time.

Like gently caress you wouldn't. The game is designed to be played multiple times.

Seriously, give the game a run-through. I like Ys a lot, but even I wouldn't watch a blind LP of it.

Also get rid of that "Steve Plays" banner. It makes you look like an LP glory-seeker.

Materant fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 11, 2012

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Materant posted:

Like gently caress you wouldn't. The game is designed to be played multiple times.

I meant the first time I play a game is always the most fun, regardless if I'm any good at it or not.

Materant posted:

Also get rid of that "Steve Plays" banner. It makes you look like an LP glory-seeker.

Didn't know there was such a thing as an LP glory seeker, but I'll just change it to "Let's Play" instead

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Retrocalypse posted:

This comment was very helpful. I started off watching LP's from Something Awful & the ones I latched on to were the ones I have described in my previous posts. I understand from the reaction that I have got from this test post that it may not be the most popular thread on the forum, but everything else that has been said is purely subjective.

I am not here to argue with anyone, simply voice my opinions on the comments I've gotten. If I had played the game before I wouldn't enjoy replaying it as much as the first time. I'd have more to talk about, yes, but focusing on chat purely from the game itself during the long action scenes would be boring for me.

I am mostly doing this as a hobby & a confidence booster. I would rather have fun failing than succeeding and not enjoying myself.

I appreciate all the help so far. It's clear that everyone that has responded has very similar opinions on what makes a good LP. Although they may differ from my own, I will likely try to adopt them in future videos if I can confidently do so
Well it's not like we're asking you to purely talk about the game but you need to be at least some what informative and not just reactionary. And that's where having played the game before would really come in handy, especially in sections that might have lulls. You can talk about other Y's games, you can talk about things you're fighting; something other than mundane things going on in your life or technical issues or just simple reactionary stuff such as "Ow" or "Now I'm dashing".

I mean I've now taken a bit of a look at your second video. You spend the first 3 minutes discussing your lack of internet (enthralling!) and how your Minecraft watchers have reacted to your Y's video (exciting!). And then to continue getting your viewer just glued to their seat you spend the next three minutes failing at jumping and dashing...only to have you cut out the rest cause it was going on too long. A few seconds of failing on simple jumps would have been too long. This isn't about you learning, it's about you not knowing basics to the game. Also I was curious if maybe in your Minecraft videos you might have been a tad more lively, a tad more informative....not really. It's just more of you stating exactly what you're doing at the moment or talking about some inane thing going on in your life.

Really I could name plenty of things you could be doing and you say that you want to learn or adapt, but then you say things like "Welp, this is how I feel comfortable and I'd rather make poo poo I'm comfortable with than anything else" which seems kind of the opposite. Why not just become comfortable with the recommendations we've been giving?

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Really I could name plenty of things you could be doing and you say that you want to learn or adapt, but then you say things like "Welp, this is how I feel comfortable and I'd rather make poo poo I'm comfortable with than anything else" which seems kind of the opposite. Why not just become comfortable with the recommendations we've been giving?

I'm not saying I won't take any of the helpful comments into account or that I cannot adapt. I have said I will try and incorporate these ideas into future videos but only if I can confidently do so. For example, I do not want to learn the game on my own and when I come back to play through it just be able to do everything right, because that's not the process I've gone through. I feel as though progression with getting better at the game would be more entertaining, but I'm sure as I haven't really made any progression with getting better so far it is difficult and frustrating to watch.

I talk about playing through some other RPG's in the future that I know a little more about. I will likely test the water with this one a little more in another video to see how it turns out and how it is received, whether it is an improvement or not. If it's not, I will likely post somewhere else for the duration then return when I start a new game I can confidently say will be to the standards of the forum.

I'm not trying to seem awkward, I'm just trying to understand how I can have fun and interest this forum at the same time and whether it will result in something we're both happy with or not.

Please don't take these comments as ignoring suggestions. It is far from it. I am trying to see if some sort of compromise is possible.

Edit: Also I'm a little confused how you would like me to be a bit more informative. If I'm playing the game and describing where I'm going, what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, how is that not informative? I could talk about the story more, but not a lot has happened and I wouldn't want to spoil the story for myself or the viewer

Retrocalypse fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 11, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Alright, from the top...

Retrocalypse posted:

I'm not saying I won't take any of the helpful comments into account or that I cannot adapt. I have said I will try and incorporate these ideas into future videos but only if I can confidently do so. For example, I do not want to learn the game on my own and when I come back to play through it just be able to do everything right, because that's not the process I've gone through. I feel as though progression with getting better at the game would be more entertaining, but I'm sure as I haven't really made any progression with getting better so far it is difficult and frustrating to watch.

Here's the thing, an LP is much less about you, and much more about the game itself. You're expected to have an amount of familiarity to properly show off the game you're LPing. Starting out a game with minimal skill doesn't do a game justice, so people will likely just be annoyed seeing your (potentially) constant failure and won't be willing to continue watching, hoping you get better.

You should also have an actual reason for LPing the game you're, well, LPing. Examples would be that there's an underrated game or otherwise unknown game that you really like that you think more people should know about. Or, you've played a game that you think is pretty bad, and are willing to suffer through one more time so less people have to play that game ever again.

Retrocalypse posted:

I'm not trying to seem awkward, I'm just trying to understand how I can have fun and interest this forum at the same time and whether it will result in something we're both happy with or not.

Please don't take these comments as ignoring suggestions. It is far from it. I am trying to see if some sort of compromise is possible.

The only compromise that really works here is you being willing to actually know more about the game you're LPing (usually, having played the game a lot, having a lot of knowledge about it) and using Post Commentary. Actually doing both of those, you'll probably have even more to say than if you did it live and blind.

Retrocalypse posted:

Edit: Also I'm a little confused how you would like me to be a bit more informative. If I'm playing the game and describing where I'm going, what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, how is that not informative? I could talk about the story more, but not a lot has happened and I wouldn't want to spoil the story for myself or the viewer

Watch this video for an example of what you should try for with your Ys Origin videos. It's the 2nd video from Toddy's ongoing Oath in Felghana LP, another game in the Ys series. He's well versed in the game, as evidenced by doing his run on Inferno. He lets the cutscenes play out, interjecting at very few points, and his commentary explains things like the mechanics behind the items or how to best take care of things while sometimes mentioning things that had to do with the actual making of the LP (how many takes it may have took to beat a boss, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1McH_zxMm8

Another example was from the first video of said LP, but it's pretty much all cutscenes since it's all plot. Simply put, he made a supplementary video explaining the basic combat mechanics to replace the "tutorial" fight at the start of the game. He also summed up the long sequence of cutscenes that happened between that, and the point you enter Redmont (the town in the game) in case you skipped it or just needed clarification.

Simply put, using post commentary gives you much more free reign when it comes to what you're able to say since you know how things play out when you're recording your commentary. You're able to talk about a thing you did in depth, explaining how it works, or just knowing how to flesh out things without giving vital bits away. It's like a balancing act.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Retrocalypse posted:

I meant the first time I play a game is always the most fun, regardless if I'm any good at it or not.

Honestly, I don't give a drat that you want to preserve your immaculate first run for an LP. An LP of this game simply wouldn't benefit from the magic of a first run.

F.edit: and as it turns out, I don't need to put forward those other points any more! Thanks Volfogg.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Volfogg posted:

Alright, from the top...

Thanks for this post. These points come across way better when worded nicely. I will have to experiment with the other methods of LP such as post commentary etc then adapt depending on where I decide to post it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Retrocalypse posted:

Funny thing, If you are LPing a game you enjoy, like I am with Bioshock, then you suddenly give less fucks about something like this. I've also played through Bioshock about a dozen times by now and I still have fun with it. Pretty much I'm saying, don't just LP for the sake of LPing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Brainamp posted:

Funny thing, If you are LPing a game you enjoy, like I am with Bioshock, then you suddenly give less fucks about something like this. I've also played through Bioshock about a dozen times by now and I still have fun with it. Pretty much I'm saying, don't just LP for the sake of LPing.

Exactly; you LP a game because a game's fun, and you decide 'hey, maybe I ought to share just how much fun this poo poo is'. Or maybe a game's really, REALLY bad (see The Dark Id's stuff outside Nier and maybe FFX), and the only way to cope is by mocking the ever-living poo poo out of it.

But if you want some e-cred, then write slash fiction and post on Fanfiction.net, simple.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Retrocalypse posted:

If I had played the game before I wouldn't enjoy replaying it as much as the first time. I'd have more to talk about, yes, but focusing on chat purely from the game itself during the long action scenes would be boring for me.

If this is a problem, then you're in the wrong hobby. At least, "posting your LPs on Something Awful" is probably not the proper way to indulge in that hobby. One of the things you learn after you do enough LPs is that doing an LP is very different from just playing the game. You're playing the game for the purpose of showing the videos to people who may never have played the game before, not for your own entertainment. There are things in some games that are agonizing to do - most non-OCD players skip them in normal playthroughs because they're not worth the reward. An LPer will most likely do those things anyway because the audience wants to see them. While you may be able to blaze through a game quickly when you know its ins and outs, an LPer will often take the time to explore the mechanics, talk to the useless characters, skip the important items because they haven't yet seen the clue that makes it important, set off the traps just to show what happens, enter a fight unprepared because that gives a much better impression of WHY this fight is so difficult, spend a few minutes doing nothing so they have time to talk about something without the game being a distraction... and you'll sometimes play and record hours of footage that you'll end up cutting entirely, just to be sure to capture the moment when you get that rare item or defeat the impossible enemy. In short, the more you love a game, the more likely you are to hate it after LPing it, and vice versa. I got some enjoyment out of one of my least favorite games by doing an LP of it, and that was an unprepared, might-as-well-be-blind, from fifteen-year-old mostly-forgotten memory LP. It wasn't a particularly interesting experience for the viewers, so I employed as much humor as I could, including strategic cutaways to other, more interesting games and music as punchlines on occasion. I bought a terrible PS3 game used (incidentally paying more than a new copy would have cost... didn't expect there to be any of those left) just for a joke. I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else do this - just saying that your enjoyment of the game is largely irrelevant. If you don't enjoy the process of making the LP, obviously, don't make the LP, but if you don't enjoy playing a game more than once, don't make the LP.

There are times when blind runs can be interesting, and those are usually specific games that are designed around a new player's experiences played by people who really know what they're doing. Take a look at Geop's ongoing Dark Souls LP, or Diabetus's Metroid Fusion LP in the archive. You'll probably notice things like knowledgeable co-commentators providing prods in the right direction and helpful tips about gameplay, liberal editing, and perhaps most importantly, a good sense of what's entertaining and a general ability to play games of their respective genres. You'll also find a very small proportion of good blind LPs compared to the vast number of people who take the time to know their stuff before trying to show a game to other people. You owe the game that much.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's a bit hard to hear your voice; you should probably speak up while recording.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

baldurk posted:

All right, I just shot through the backlog that had built up while I was dealing with all the Viddler fallout. As far as I can see I have now replied to everyone who's gotten in contact with me - but I had some email problems a week or two ago and I lost some messages, so if you haven't had a reply from me just feel free to send it on through again because it's either been lost or I've missed it somehow like a chump.

Reposting here since I know not everyone checks the Archive thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stratafyre posted:

The sensitivity is definitely too high with my microphone, I'll see if I can get it down to a more manageable degree, I was picking up excess sounds even when I was recording at home, Noise Reduction just ate a lot less of my actual voice there.

Beyond what was said re: focusing only on the noise, a trick that exists is to be less agressive than you expect and leave a bit of noise in on the base commentary track. As games usually feature some level of background noise/music, it's often the case that if you leave a wee bit of noise in, it's totally inaudible when overlaid over a game anyway. So the end result is that your own audio would sound better and the noise, while present, would be so quiet that it's indistinguishable from game noise.

Make sure to have mic boost off! Never have mic boost on.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Retrocalypse posted:

I'm not saying I won't take any of the helpful comments into account or that I cannot adapt. I have said I will try and incorporate these ideas into future videos but only if I can confidently do so.
Your first few videos suck donkey nuts, and if you're not willing to redo them for the sake of putting out videos that have the slightest chance of entertaining anyone, stop posting them here and try again next game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

pokecapn posted:

Your first few videos suck donkey nuts, and if you're not willing to redo them for the sake of putting out videos that have the slightest chance of entertaining anyone, stop posting them here and try again next game.
No, no; you just aren't understanding that he's only comfortable discussing his itchy nose, his update schedule for Minecraft, ummmmm how long it took him to upload videos. But really by video 4, or after about two hours of footage, he really kicks it up into high gear to whip out his catchphrase "I'm drinking water" and proceeds to go through the same rooms over and over again cause he doesn't seem to know where to go. I can't expound enough on the fact that if this is a confidence builder for you or just a fun bullshit hobby that you can't try to get better at then people on here will either ignore the videos or poo poo on them heavily. I mean you've got good video quality, you've got a good mic, and you aren't puffing into the mic or overwhelming the game audio....now you just have to do the easy task of learning how to edit, do commentary, and things that are outside of just the base video or making something that only you would enjoy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Alright, I think I've got everything sorted out to start a LP of Unreal

Potential OP

Video 1

I know it's a little hard to see at times, it's just that the game is naturally dark as poo poo and I've yet to find a perfect way to make it easier to see.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elliotw2 posted:

Alright, I think I've got everything sorted out to start a LP of Unreal

Potential OP

Video 1

I know it's a little hard to see at times, it's just that the game is naturally dark as poo poo and I've yet to find a perfect way to make it easier to see.

Ok, now that is "unreal". I was just looking through my old CD's and decided re-install Unreal Tournament to see how it's held up.

First up, I'd say lower your brightness a bit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Ok, now that is "unreal". I was just looking through my old CD's and decided re-install Unreal Tournament to see how it's held up.

First up, I'd say lower your brightness a bit.

That's a bit what I meant with the "dark as poo poo" comment, because it looked like this before I over-brightened it.

It's some oddity in how the game does the brightness slider where recordings and windowed mode are just really dark.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Elliotw2 posted:

That's a bit what I meant with the "dark as poo poo" comment, because it looked like this before I over-brightened it.

It's some oddity in how the game does the brightness slider where recordings and windowed mode are just really dark.

Deus Ex does the same thing, it's something about the unreal engine.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
Spit that out right now! Let's Play Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards

Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards was Kirby's first foray into the 3D world. Released in 2000 for the Nintendo 64, this game was the fourth instalment in the Dreamland series. This game was the first to introduce combining powers though. Yes, gone are Kirby's animal buddies, now he can create power combinations all on his own. Kirby's new found abilities will be shown in further detail in the thread.

Videos:
Test

Any input at all is appreciated. I am also planning on picking up a new microphone, if any one has suggestions on what type to get.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

TheJayOfSpade posted:

Spit that out right now! Let's Play Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards

Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards was Kirby's first foray into the 3D world. Released in 2000 for the Nintendo 64, this game was the fourth instalment in the Dreamland series. This game was the first to introduce combining powers though. Yes, gone are Kirby's animal buddies, now he can create power combinations all on his own. Kirby's new found abilities will be shown in further detail in the thread.

Videos:
Test

Any input at all is appreciated. I am also planning on picking up a new microphone, if any one has suggestions on what type to get.
Why are you just skipping around to random levels? Why aren't you explaining game mechanics? If I was new to Kirby and watching your LP it would come across as you heavily rushing through screens and not talking about the game itself, but rather Kirby on the whole.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Ultimately what it boils down to is that while it's important to have fun and play a game you enjoy and let the game take the spotlight and all of the other stuff that we emphasize, if you're not making videos that other people want to watch, then there's really no point in making an LP.

I know we put a lot of emphasis on having fun (and we should), but at the end of the day if you're making a video nobody wants to watch, why even do it?

Edit: this is mainly aimed at Retrocalypse

Heren
Jul 11, 2012

So do you just want comments on your tech setup? Your commentary is very obviously not LP material so feedback there is pointless. You'd probably be better off asking the Tech Fort for technical advice. The video quality seems rather poor and blurry but the audio seemed okay, however I'm a bad judge of technicals.

The opening post should be a lot better than "more later in the thread!" You should give some detail on the game in the opening post about the series for people who are unfamiliar and how this game differs from others in the series. You should also explain the actual plot of the game. This is supposed to be the hook to draw your readers in, make it interesting.

Instead of just mentioning the combining powers explain how it expands the game from just X powers to Y combinations of powers. I'd recommend posting the powers with an explanation and comments in the updates as you use them, and using the second post for a compilation of them.

Are you getting the secret ending or not? Aspects of the LP like that should also be explained in the opening post. Not that the game has much of a plot but there's at least one spoiler I can think of so if care about that you should post a spoiler policy.

After you get your technical issues worked out you should come back and post a real update if you want feedback on your commentary.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Why are you just skipping around to random levels? Why aren't you explaining game mechanics? If I was new to Kirby and watching your LP it would come across as you heavily rushing through screens and not talking about the game itself, but rather Kirby on the whole.

It was just a test video. I was trying to get feed back on the video and audio quality, the real LP videos (which I've been recording) will have me showing off the powers and the game mechanics. Sorry, that I was so unclear before.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Heren posted:

So do you just want comments on your tech setup? Your commentary is very obviously not LP material so feedback there is pointless. You'd probably be better off asking the Tech Fort for technical advice. The video quality seems rather poor and blurry but the audio seemed okay, however I'm a bad judge of technicals.

The opening post should be a lot better than "more later in the thread!" You should give some detail on the game in the opening post about the series for people who are unfamiliar and how this game differs from others in the series. You should also explain the actual plot of the game. This is supposed to be the hook to draw your readers in, make it interesting.

Instead of just mentioning the combining powers explain how it expands the game from just X powers to Y combinations of powers. I'd recommend posting the powers with an explanation and comments in the updates as you use them, and using the second post for a compilation of them.

Are you getting the secret ending or not? Aspects of the LP like that should also be explained in the opening post. Not that the game has much of a plot but there's at least one spoiler I can think of so if care about that you should post a spoiler policy.

After you get your technical issues worked out you should come back and post a real update if you want feedback on your commentary.

Thank you for all the feed back. I'll work on the opening post. I was planning on posting all the powers I got as the game went on and writing short blurbs about each.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

TheJayOfSpade posted:

It was just a test video. I was trying to get feed back on the video and audio quality, the real LP videos (which I've been recording) will have me showing off the powers and the game mechanics. Sorry, that I was so unclear before.
Ah, when you said all input appreciated I figured it was for a finished product. But yea, the audio and video quality were fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Alright, I've updated my OP with a weapon/enemy list and the translator logs we got in the video. I'm getting ready to post the thread by the end of today, unless there's something wrong that I didn't notice

Updated OP

I could use suggestions for thread titles though!

edit: Thread's up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501129

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 12, 2012

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Edit: Fixed.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2572

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 13, 2012

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

big duck equals goose posted:

Whoops, I think I did something wrong.

Next time, you should probably use the LPix Test SSLP Poster

v: No problem!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 13, 2012

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Volt Catfish posted:

Next time, you should probably use the LPix Test SSLP Poster

That was it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Actually think this is good overall; I'm a bit amazed they even made a game for the Dark Half considering that the movie adaptation was just so bland. I'm curious though but does the game give a better explanation for some things. Like why Thad was out at the cemetery with no car? Or is the entire town really that small? And are you going to be doing it comparisons between the book, the game, and the movie? Because in the movie at least the secret room behind the bookcase was at some forest retreat rather than in Thad's home.

• Locked thread