Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

Get some bacon.
Chop bacon and onion.
Make mashed potatoes.
Fry bacon, fry onions in the rendered bacon fat. Ideally, both bacon and onions should be crisp.
Serve as mountain of potato-mash on plate with bacon/onion spread over.

On the other hand, the bacon makes this not-that-cheap.

Packs of bacon ends. Not the best bacon, but really if you are not needing it is perfect strips, the end packs are awesome.

I love bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Crap! I just realized that the beef stew thread I bookmarked, which had an amazing recipe, has apparently fallen off the bottom of the board! gently caress, I can't even find the print out of the recipe I had. I'm gonna really miss that stew. :(

I'm looking at it right now, which recipe do you want copied? The O.P., Kenyan?

Edit: About to head to work, have the recipe from the O.P.

CuddleChunks posted:

Upgraded Beef Stew 2.0 - Enterprise Edition
3 lbs stew beef cut into 1" chunks, removed from fridge 1 hour before cooking
4 strips cooked bacon
1lb carrots, chopped into 1/2" medallions
2lb yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
2 big celery sticks, roughly chopped
2 medium Hermiston Sweet onions, roughly chopped
3 cups hot water
Bigass Tbs (1.5Tbps) "Better than Bullion Beef Stock" (equivalent of 1 quart stock)
1/2 6oz can Tomato Paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 Tbs blackstrap molasses
Several splashes Worcestershire sauce
3 lovely Bay leaves
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, flour (for dusting meat)

Directions:
Dissolve the Beef Stock concentrate in the hot water, set aside. Mix the tomato paste, some pepper, wine, worcestershire sauce and the molasses in another dish. It should resemble thick ketchup when done. Crack a bunch of black pepper over the beef, sprinkle liberally with salt (I used Johnny's seasoning salt), sprinkle with garlic powder and then dust with flour. Move the hunks of meat around so that they soak up the residual flour and are lightly dusted. Leave to warm up to room temperature as you chop the veggies and throw them into your favorite bigass crockpot. Chop the cooked bacon into 1/2" wide chunks and throw into the pot along with the veggies.

Now that the veggies are prepped and in the pot, heat up a cast iron or heavy skillet and add some oil. I had bacon grease left over so I used that. Drop handfuls of the meat into the hot pan and sear. My technique was to get most of the pan loaded, cover with a little splash guard (metal mesh thing) and then walk away and do something else for a minute or two. I'd come back, flip the meat over onto its other side with a metal spatula and then walk away for a bit. After another couple minutes of cooking I'd ladle out the meat onto the paper plate you saw on the other burner and toss that into the crockpot. Add a little more cooking grease, reload with meat and then walk away to let it sear.

While the meat was cooking I dumped the beef broth into the pot and fired it up on Low. On top of my first batch of meat I poured the ketchup-like substance and then stirred the whole pot. I figured that most roast meat dishes leave the meat on top and the root veggies down low so I only stirred one batch of meat into the veggies. The rest got poured on top. My bay leaves are cheap as hell and so I added 3 to give the effect of one fancy good bay leav. When finished searing the meat, I put on the glass cover and set the timer for 6 hours. Now to wait.

Cooking is about PATIENCE:
Ugh. Cooking smells are the worst when you are home. For a dish like this, go out and do something like clean your garage or visit a friend or just roam the lands as a warrior monk. Don't sit around playing computer games because this stew needs time to cook and you fiddling with it won't make it work.

Finally, the timer dinged, I gave the pot a good stir and what initially looked like a pile of junk with hardly enough liquid to call itself a stew had transformed thanks to heat and time into this lovely bowl of basic beef stew. It's like magic, only edible!

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 30, 2012

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm looking at it right now, which recipe do you want copied? The O.P., Kenyan?

Edit: About to head to work, have the recipe from the O.P.

gently caress. Yes.

That is the one right there. I've had that recipe exactly as-is and it's absolutely amazing! The beef stock base is a bit expensive, but you can easily make 3 or 4 batches of stew with one jar. Everything else is stuff you should generally have anyway.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
OK, my stew looked absolutely disgusting. Like, if someone else were to have cooked this and served it to me I'm not sure if I would have eaten it. That said, it didn't taste bad though, a bit bland, I think from the water cause it didn't do anything. Next time I'll try with less carrots because it seemed really crowded there, maybe more meat too (used 0.5 kg). I added cut up potatoes at the end but I'm not sure if I'll do this again.

So, next time, how do I make it more flavorful? Use beef broth I'm assuming? Dunno why I didn't think of doing that this time (we have the powdered kind, I'll keep it in mind to keep bones to make broth with but I don't really buy beef with bones that much (actually don't buy beef that much at all)).

Also, how do I make it not look like poo poo?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

That said, it didn't taste bad though, a bit bland, I think from the water cause it didn't do anything. Next time I'll try with less carrots because it seemed really crowded there, maybe more meat too (used 0.5 kg). I added cut up potatoes at the end but I'm not sure if I'll do this again.

So, next time, how do I make it more flavorful? Use beef broth I'm assuming? Dunno why I didn't think of doing that this time (we have the powdered kind, I'll keep it in mind to keep bones to make broth with but I don't really buy beef with bones that much (actually don't buy beef that much at all)).

Also, how do I make it not look like poo poo?

Did you salt? Sounds like you didn't salt aggressively enough. Also, ~1 lb of meat for a whole stew is almost nothing. Should be closer to ~5lb, depending on vessel size of course. More beef, more fond, bones, more salt will all give you a more flavorful stew. More bones will give you more gelatin, too, which will make your broth look less watery and more glazey. You can also assist this by building a roux on the fat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's a stew. It's never going to win the Dinner I'd Put My Dick In 2012 award. That said, how exactly did it look awful? Was it watery, fatty, purpley, did it curl and writhe into obscene shapes as it lay on your plate?

As for flavour, do what other people have suggested and save vegetable scraps to make stock. Next time buy some slow-cooking beef on the bone like shin or something and use the bone and scraps to make stock first. Also, add your potatoes a bit earlier. Also also, are you seasoning with salt and pepper or adding herbs?

e: roux is also a very good idea.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Anyone have some good bean recipes? I was out of town for a couple weeks, and when I got back my husband's grocery shopping had consisted almost entirely of canned beans.

Related, here's a realy simple chickpea recipe that I like:
1 can chickpeas
1/2 red onion
1/2 green bell pepper
1 small hot pepper
salt, pepper, cilantro, curry powder, garlic, etc to taste

Cut the onion and pepper thin. Saute them in a little oil. When they're about done, add the can of chick peas and the seasonings. Cook until the chickpeas are done.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

pile of brown posted:

do up a bunch of mise en place for a slaw (cabbage, onions, shredded carrot, rice noodles)

I admit I'm kind of intrigued by noodles in slaw (although I loving hate coleslaw in the first place), but that isn't mise en place.

Mise en place refers to having all your gear where you need it to be before you start cooking, which makes the whole process a lot easier and more foolproof as you're not going to be missing something vital during a delicate process.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

redmercer posted:

I admit I'm kind of intrigued by noodles in slaw (although I loving hate coleslaw in the first place), but that isn't mise en place.

Mise en place refers to having all your gear where you need it to be before you start cooking, which makes the whole process a lot easier and more foolproof as you're not going to be missing something vital during a delicate process.

Mise en place also isn't very good for individual preparation. If you're cooking for less than 40 people, clean as you prep. Mise en place is more for if you're making many many of the same dishes at different times. Also, you need a ton of containers to really set up a good mise station.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mise isn't just for when you're cooking for 40. Having your mise is also important for things like stir fry, where once you start you can't stop and do more prep. It's also useful when you're following a recipe with many ingredients, or making multiple dishes.

In short, get your poo poo together before anything hits the heat.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mise isn't just for when you're cooking for 40. Having your mise is also important for things like stir fry, where once you start you can't stop and do more prep. It's also useful when you're following a recipe with many ingredients, or making multiple dishes.

My bad, I was thinking of the more industrial mise setups where you have a bajillion containers full of pre-diced onions, garlic, shallots, herbs, stock etc.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This x100. I have found that having everything prepped and ready to go enables me to concentrate on what I am actually cooking, as opposed to madly chopping things with one eye on the stove. Years ago when I was young and had cable, I always thought it was just a TV chef thing to have all of the ingredients per-measured and ready to go in cute little bowls. Now I realize that poo poo helps a ton and should be done whenever possible. Might generate more dishes but drat does it help me focus on the food.

KoB
May 1, 2009

miryei posted:

Anyone have some good bean recipes?

My roommate and I have been trying to make our own Pinto beans and just cant get it right, there's just not much flavor. Does anyone have some recipes?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KoB posted:

My roommate and I have been trying to make our own Pinto beans and just cant get it right, there's just not much flavor. Does anyone have some recipes?

What do you want them to taste like?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

KoB posted:

What have you tried so far?

KoB
May 1, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

What have you tried so far?

Onion powder, chili powder, bacon fat, salt/pepper, and a few other things I cant remember without being at home, just some other spices.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

switch out onion powder for real onions, switch out chile powder for real chiles. Mince them and saute in a generous amount of oil (or lard/baco fat) (no salt yet!) before adding the soaked beans. Cover with the appropriate amount of water and cook or pressure cook until completely tender, you can add a bay leaf or two if you want, too. When completely tender, I like to mash a few for texture. Then stir up the mash and beans and reduce to the desired texture. You then will have to salt very aggressively. Starches and beans need a lot of salt. I'm willing to bet that the majority of your earlier problems was not enough salt.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
In a related note, if you're buying a lot of bulk dried beans know that that some kinds of beans (eg kidney and related) become harder and harder to soften as they get old, even when fully cooked. I've boiled old beans all drat day and they stayed hard little nuggets. Edible, but still...

Either make sure you're using new beans or use a pressure cooker - I've never used one but supposedly the higher temps they reach will tenderize even the most ancient of beans (and cook them much faster, too).

Or you can grind old beans to a powder and add to soups, breads, etc. for added body, nutrition, and flavor.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Bacon fat isn't all that flavorful when it comes to flavoring starches. You actually need a bit of the bacon bits, not just the grease to get the nice bacony tang. I'm not sure how cheap it is in your area, but I can get rendered duck fat, pork fat and beef suet at the local farmers market and those go a long way toward flavoring dishes.

Also, one of the cheapest, most drastic improvements to taste can be done by upgrading your salt. Switch to sea salt, or himalayan pink, or whatever exotic salt you can find or be bothered to buy. The taste difference between good salt and Morton's is immense. Same applies for peppercorns, but those are a bit more expensive .

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I love this thread. I know it's come up a lot already, but can anyone give me basically an idiot's guide to making rice and beans, with no details spared? I've had very little success so far (sad I know).

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

the last signal... posted:

I love this thread. I know it's come up a lot already, but can anyone give me basically an idiot's guide to making rice and beans, with no details spared? I've had very little success so far (sad I know).

Do you have a ricecooker? That makes rice significantly easier, and you can get a great one for $30 on Amazon. One of the best $30 I've ever spent.

As for beans, the key is to soak them for a long time. Buy fresher beans if you can, if not just soak them to oblivion. Boil beans in stock if you're feeling fancy, heavily salted water if not. Sautee onions and or chilis to taste first, then add animal fat of some sort. Lard works great if you can afford the calories. Drain the beans thoroughly, introduce to other ingredients. Cook down to desired texture.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

the last signal... posted:

Rice without a rice cooker:

Put rice in the pot. Put almost twice as much water as you did rice (I'll fill a mug with rice, then fill it almost twice with water). Turn the stove on high. Add any flavorings you want (rice by itself is really boring) Combinations of chicken stock, salt, and butter work well as fairly neutral flavors. Stir in anything you decide to add. As soon as the water starts to boil, put a lid on the pot and turn the heat down as low as it will go--not necessarily the lowest numbered setting, but as low as it goes without clicking off. Go wander off for ~20 minutes. Come back, and the rice should be done.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

miryei posted:

Rice without a rice cooker:

Put rice in the pot. Put almost twice as much water as you did rice (I'll fill a mug with rice, then fill it almost twice with water). Turn the stove on high. Add any flavorings you want (rice by itself is really boring) Combinations of chicken stock, salt, and butter work well as fairly neutral flavors. Stir in anything you decide to add. As soon as the water starts to boil, put a lid on the pot and turn the heat down as low as it will go--not necessarily the lowest numbered setting, but as low as it goes without clicking off. Go wander off for ~20 minutes. Come back, and the rice should be done.

I cannot stress this enough. Soak/wash your rice thoroughly. The starchy dust on the outside is what burns when you use a regular pot.

With a rice cooker this is less of an issue, but WASH YOUR RICE THOROUGHLY.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

miryei posted:

Put almost twice as much water as you did rice (I'll fill a mug with rice, then fill it almost twice with water).

I've found the best water/rice ratio is 1.5 cups water to 1 cup of white rice, or 2 cups water to 1 cup brown rice.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Also, if you have the time/cooktop space, learn to make your own broths. Buy an old hen or a stock chicken. Stick in a giant pot. Slice a small amount of ginger, about the size of a two quarters. Cover with water. Simmer on low for half an hour to 45 minutes.

Take the chicken out, strip the meat. Chuck the carcass back into the stockpot. Simmer another three hours. Take out the carcass. Add two or three pinches of salt. Simmer until you get bored of simmering. Let cool, pour into refrigerator safe container. Stick in fridge, skim off the fat when the fat has solidified.

If you want to be really fancy, you can use an egg white raft to clarify the stock.
http://culinaryalchemist.blogspot.com/2011/03/commensing-clarification-chicken.html

Making your own stock only takes a burner and a minute amount of attention, but the flavor difference with canned or boxed stock is worlds apart.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Lard works great if you can afford the calories.

But lard isn't actually less healthy than butter and stuff, right? I thought that was a lie propagated by Big Udder.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mescal posted:

But lard isn't actually less healthy than butter and stuff, right? I thought that was a lie propagated by Big Udder.

It's not less healthy, it's simply more calorie dense. If you're trying to cut weight, every calorie counts (okay not really, but it's more of a habit building thing).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It's not less healthy, it's simply more calorie dense. If you're trying to cut weight, every calorie counts (okay not really, but it's more of a habit building thing).

I usually use less animal fat than butter for an equivalent dish. Since I cook by taste instead of to recipes. It's like butter vs. cream cheese--cream cheese has a lot less fat than butter, but you use a ton more of it.

I think lard is more healthy than butter, because butter is tasteless in comparison. So you'll end up using less of it since a little bit is flavorful.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mescal posted:

I usually use less animal fat than butter for an equivalent dish. Since I cook by taste instead of to recipes. It's like butter vs. cream cheese--cream cheese has a lot less fat than butter, but you use a ton more of it.

I think lard is more healthy than butter, because butter is tasteless in comparison. So you'll end up using less of it since a little bit is flavorful.

Spend some money on good butter. Check your local farmer's market. Pasture butter is amazingly flavorful.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Spend some money on good butter. Check your local farmer's market. Pasture butter is amazingly flavorful.

Good advice and I'll try that, but this is the poor chef thread, and animal fat is free.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

An observer posted:

I've found the best water/rice ratio is 1.5 cups water to 1 cup of white rice, or 2 cups water to 1 cup brown rice.

I've found it to be closer to 1.8/1 for white, and haven't figured out how to consistently cook brown yet.

I supposed it depends on how you like your rice, though. My husband likes it slightly crunchy so he uses less water than I do.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Lemme figure out the logistics of mailing butter. We have a family friend who is a rancher that just left like 5 pounds of amazing pasture butter at home. I will gladly ship you a bar free of charge so you may taste the glory.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lemme figure out the logistics of mailing butter. We have a family friend who is a rancher that just left like 5 pounds of amazing pasture butter at home. I will gladly ship you a bar free of charge so you may taste the glory.

If you figure out how to do it, I would gladly take a bar as well. I'm extremely sick of the grocery store's cold, yellow oil.

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KoB posted:

My recipe for pinto beans:

1 bag of pinto beans (~1 lb I think) - pour out on cookie sheet, pick out the ROCKS, and soak overnight

Next day, drain the pinto beans, put in a pressure cooker, cover with water plus a little more then add:

2-3 diced onions
4-5 diced garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
2-3 TBSP veg oil
NO SALT YET

Cook for ~20 minutes at full pressure.

Pop open the top when it's had a chance to cool, add salt to taste. The bay leaves make it extra awesome.

For extra extra awesome you can toss in one of those small cans of diced spicy green peppers that are near the refried beans in the grocery.

This is a great base refried bean recipe and you can add a lot of random stuff too it. I eat this stuff for all meals, sometimes cold in first thing in the morning. It's delicious.

Logiwonk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 10, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wait until the winter.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008

I am all about this when you figure it out.
I think it will involve dry ice? Styrofoam?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

I cannot stress this enough. Soak/wash your rice thoroughly. The starchy dust on the outside is what burns when you use a regular pot.

With a rice cooker this is less of an issue, but WASH YOUR RICE THOROUGHLY.

To expand on this a bit: the more you wash the rice; the stickier it will be when it's done. So wash the heck out of it if you're molding riceballs or what have you.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

redmercer posted:

To expand on this a bit: the more you wash the rice; the stickier it will be when it's done. So wash the heck out of it if you're molding riceballs or what have you.

What? :aaa:

I thought it was the exact opposite. And here I was, wondering why my rice was sticking together so fervently when I tried to make fried rice.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

What? :aaa:

I thought it was the exact opposite. And here I was, wondering why my rice was sticking together so fervently when I tried to make fried rice.

Are you drying your rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
In my experience, the best rice to use for fried rice is day-old, leftover rice kept in the refrigerator.