Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

RME posted:

I got FFX International setup and now I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the expert sphere grid, because I think I'd probably put everyone down their default paths anyways. Though I guess there's slightly less stat gains so it'd work as a sort of slighty-harder difficulty for this replay. Also I guess I could make Kimahri only pretty bad instead of terrible.

Seriously how did they gently caress up blue magic this much.

Here is a thing I posted in The Dark Id's lets play about the sphere grid differences;

quote:

re: The expert sphere grid.

It's not as good as it's being made out to be in my own opinion - the customisation options are nice and whatnot but when you run into your endgame spells such as Flare or Holy which are ordinarily completely free on the normal sphere grid, you have to go through several Level 3 or Level 4 locks to actually gain those spells. This isn't always possible at the time in the game you'd ordinarily unlock the things without clever grinding etcetera.

Beyond that, stat growth isn't as high in the expert sphere grid and there are far more empty spaces, which again is good for customisation. The thing there is you can achieve the same result using the normal sphere grid (and if you're going for certain bosses (eg. Penance) the extra time investment clearly isn't an issue for you) without hurting your team during the standard playthrough.

Finally, the layout of abilities is a lot more drawn out on the expert sphere grid, and in some cases doesn't actually make much sense. To take Tidus as an example, Haste is a relatively early game spell for him (and is such an important spell in this game), you get it far sooner using the normal sphere grid than you do the expert grid, as The Dark Id has already shown.

I can understand the appeal of the expert grid to an extent, but as someone who has used both sphere grids extensively (the PAL release has an option to use either grid and comes with all the international features) I find myself always going back to the standard grid, simply because it's more intuitive to use and doesn't cause your game to be drawn out by grinding and such, which is the experience I've had multiple times with the expert grid.

But I am one voice in a sea of many, and I'm sure some people love the expert grid, or when they get chance to use it will wonder what on earth I'm even talking about. It's a good thing that international gave players the option of choosing the type of levelling path like this, generally any freedom given to the player to customise and build their characters as they like is almost definitely never a flaw. I really hope Square Enix doesn't drop the ball on the HD release and ensures that what we get is the PAL/International version.

Short version: If you're going to be using default paths there's not much use in using the expert version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

iTrust posted:

Short version: If you're going to be using default paths there's not much use in using the expert version.

Thanks, this pretty much confirms what I was feeling about it. The lock spheres thing is kind of discouraging, I think it would have been cool if the grid was tuned to be more expert like in that it gave abilities quicker at the cost of lower stat growth overall, so it was more about using your tools to overcome stuff but now it just sounds like you get lower stat growth and slower ability gain so eh. Maybe when if FFX HD comes out with it included I'll try it then (Which reminds me I'd kill for proper widescreen support in the game).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for Quina... yeah, no argument. The only ones you'd be using at the end of the game are Frog Drop, White Wind, Angel's Snack, Auto-Life, and possibly Earth Shake/Twister/Vanish/Mighty Guard, all of which can be done by Eiko better.

Twister is no good because the damage variance is too high, Mighty Guard is okayish (but limited in use unless you really grind Spirit), but you're ignoring the fun poo poo like Magic Hammer and Matra Magic. Thanks to Auto-Life, Limit Glove is very gameable as well (not to mention that Phoenix Downs generally have like a 1/8 chance to revive you with 1 HP anyway at lower HP).

Frog Drop you probably won't be using until very late game since the formula involves Quina's level, but I'll tell you for certain that it kicks the rear end of anything Eiko can do. Honestly you use Quina for the huge damage potential thanks to access to mid-lategame weapons really early in the game, and guaranteed 9999 attacks later on.

Oh and grinding Grand Dragons to 99.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Twister is no good because the damage variance is too high, Mighty Guard is okayish (but limited in use unless you really grind Spirit), but you're ignoring the fun poo poo like Magic Hammer and Matra Magic. Thanks to Auto-Life, Limit Glove is very gameable as well (not to mention that Phoenix Downs generally have like a 1/8 chance to revive you with 1 HP anyway at lower HP).

Frog Drop you probably won't be using until very late game since the formula involves Quina's level, but I'll tell you for certain that it kicks the rear end of anything Eiko can do. Honestly you use Quina for the huge damage potential thanks to access to mid-lategame weapons really early in the game, and guaranteed 9999 attacks later on.

Oh and grinding Grand Dragons to 99.

I guess I'm just not a fan of Quina because h/she feels like it just takes a lot of effort. If you steal some high-level-ish forks early on, Quina can be good DPS early on, but if you don't, s/he becomes near worthless on offense (to the point where I end up skipping getting Quina on Disc 1, just to avoid the EXP loss) unless you remember that an enemy is a multiple of 4 or until you get 1000 Needles/Earth Shake. Limit Glove is fun but so many things can go wrong with that strategy - I'd rather use Charge!

Late-game, not that Quina doesn't stack up, but you practically need Frog Drop to compete with other members. And even getting the number to fight Quale is an exercise in patience. You don't physically attack because the forks become too random, so your only worthwhile option in the meantime is Twister, which is random, and Earth Shake, which is fine... except you have Fenrir.

Eiko might not have guaranteed 9999s, but she does almost everything else. She's a lot easier to power up, since Fenrir just needs gems, Madeen grows with her level, and Holy just is strong naturally and is of a great element (the only monsters to even resist/absorb it late game are the Friendly Monsters, I think, and you shouldn't be fighting them). If she gets into Trance? Hey, Holyx2 beats Frog Drop. She can also use Mighty Guard for a fraction of the MP by using Carbuncle with Boost; she can even use Vanish on the entire party if you equip her with a Moonstone. (Just like how Regen is useless when you have Reis' Wind) Even her equipment options are better. The only other thing Quina has on her is Auto-Life and Angel's Snack, which requires 4 Remedies.

Quina is a potentially fantastic party member, and I've used him/her a couple of times, but the effort needed to get there turns me off him/her on casual runs.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

I don't use Quina cause even though I can deal with 9's whimsical designs and blue-mage bullshit Quina literally looks like an out-of-place muppet weird a weird face and the Qu are painful to look at and have a dumb gimmick. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Quina's pretty much the best character in IX.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blue Mage is the best Final Fantasy class.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
The only FF game I felt had Blue Magic as an actually useful class for the amount of hassle you need to get the spells was FFV. Seriously, after my FJF run this year, I have a new found appreciation for Blue Magic in V. It basically can do everything that White/Black can do (other than the ultimate spells) and for less MP or in the case of Mighty Guard/White Wind, better than the alternatives.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
What really turned me to Quina in IX is the point before reaching Terra, and the Earth Guardian scoffs at a monkey and a weird clown chef trying to defeat him. And then you can eat the fucker. Call it a stupid reason, but for the child me that was the best. The Eat mechanic I found annoying, but worth it for the smug factor.

Frog Drop is just icing on the cake.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Frozen_flame posted:

What really turned me to Quina in IX is the point before reaching Terra, and the Earth Guardian scoffs at a monkey and a weird clown chef trying to defeat him. And then you can eat the fucker. Call it a stupid reason, but for the child me that was the best. The Eat mechanic I found annoying, but worth it for the smug factor.

For me, it was when Quina licked the source of every life/memory on the planet and didn't give a drat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Frozen_flame posted:

Also consider that later he comes back in Disc 4. Which implies you're fighting whatever Quina digested and came to life.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ShadeofDante posted:

The only FF game I felt had Blue Magic as an actually useful class for the amount of hassle you need to get the spells was FFV. Seriously, after my FJF run this year, I have a new found appreciation for Blue Magic in V. It basically can do everything that White/Black can do (other than the ultimate spells) and for less MP or in the case of Mighty Guard/White Wind, better than the alternatives.

I think the Enemy Skill materia from VII would like to have a word with you. Unless you don't consider that a "class," but still.

I was always upset that FF Tactics didn't have a blue mage class- I mean, they even had the "learning by being hit" mechanic implemented, and it hardly even got used. Then they came out with the WotL version and STILL didn't do it. Bah.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadeofDante posted:

Mighty Guard is a truly ridiculous spell (and is pretty awesome in every game with some iteration of it), but I don't really see what's so hot about White Wind; it's useful but I don't feel like it's any better than Cure 3. I feel Blue has really anemic offense endgame; stats are too low to put those swords to good use, Aero 3's damage isn't quite up to par especially MT, and stuff like Lv4 Flare requires too much doofy manipulation.

Then again I had the opposite experience with the hardmode fiesta this year. I got Blue first, and I went in knowing how awesome it was, but I'd always sort of been under the impression that White Mage was only useful for healing. Holy ended up being the best attack for 3/4 of my characters (not only is the damage massive, but it's really efficient) and there's a lot of utility I'd never messed with before, like how the Confusion spell works to grab Mighty Guard in FJF. If I had to pick one skill that could enable any party, no matter how stupid, it'd probably be White Magic.

Schwartzcough posted:

I was always upset that FF Tactics didn't have a blue mage class- I mean, they even had the "learning by being hit" mechanic implemented, and it hardly even got used. Then they came out with the WotL version and STILL didn't do it. Bah.

Replacing Geomancer with this would be a pretty good FFT improvement.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 12, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Replacing Geomancer with this would be a pretty good FFT improvement.

I'd say that would depend on the skills you could get (since I doubt it'd just be all of them, considering how many are useless/redundant) but even if it was just Choco Cure/Ball/Esuna/Meteor it'd be more useful than Geomancy was.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also consider that later he comes back in Disc 4. Which implies you're fighting whatever Quina digested and came to life.

When you've been shat out by Quina, you don't hold much fear anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd say that would depend on the skills you could get (since I doubt it'd just be all of them, considering how many are useless/redundant) but even if it was just Choco Cure/Ball/Esuna/Meteor it'd be more useful than Geomancy was.

I'd say the reason they kept it out is because you can just put monsters in your party. There's proper coding for skill learning, and it even checks if you're trying to bullshit it targeting your own party members, but they clearly ignored it and there's probably some dev's reasoning behind why Blue Mage was kept out.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

So hey, stupid question time. What am I missing out on by not doing blitzball?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The full power of Wakka's ultimate weapon and hours of wasted time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Early access to Teleport Spheres, Dark Matter, and you end up saving a bit of gil and lots of time.

Also, Attack Reels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

I'd say the reason they kept it out is because you can just put monsters in your party. There's proper coding for skill learning, and it even checks if you're trying to bullshit it targeting your own party members, but they clearly ignored it and there's probably some dev's reasoning behind why Blue Mage was kept out.

You can learn ultima by hitting Ramza with it via your other party member in WotL, but you have to have the guy learn it in Riovanes to get it early. It sure was fun getting hit with Ultima, hoping to survive, then trying to kill one of the enemies before Rafa got one-shot. :shepface:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Blue Mage is the best Final Fantasy class.
I want a whole game focused around Blue Magic as the battle mechanic. Make it so you can only remember so many enemy attacks or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess I'm just not a fan of Quina because h/she feels like it just takes a lot of effort. If you steal some high-level-ish forks early on, Quina can be good DPS early on, but if you don't, s/he becomes near worthless on offense (to the point where I end up skipping getting Quina on Disc 1, just to avoid the EXP loss) unless you remember that an enemy is a multiple of 4 or until you get 1000 Needles/Earth Shake. Limit Glove is fun but so many things can go wrong with that strategy - I'd rather use Charge!

Late-game, not that Quina doesn't stack up, but you practically need Frog Drop to compete with other members. And even getting the number to fight Quale is an exercise in patience. You don't physically attack because the forks become too random, so your only worthwhile option in the meantime is Twister, which is random, and Earth Shake, which is fine... except you have Fenrir.

Eiko might not have guaranteed 9999s, but she does almost everything else. She's a lot easier to power up, since Fenrir just needs gems, Madeen grows with her level, and Holy just is strong naturally and is of a great element (the only monsters to even resist/absorb it late game are the Friendly Monsters, I think, and you shouldn't be fighting them). If she gets into Trance? Hey, Holyx2 beats Frog Drop. She can also use Mighty Guard for a fraction of the MP by using Carbuncle with Boost; she can even use Vanish on the entire party if you equip her with a Moonstone. (Just like how Regen is useless when you have Reis' Wind) Even her equipment options are better. The only other thing Quina has on her is Auto-Life and Angel's Snack, which requires 4 Remedies.

Quina is a potentially fantastic party member, and I've used him/her a couple of times, but the effort needed to get there turns me off him/her on casual runs.
Good to know! Planning to play through FF9 when they get it working on the Vita and I wanted to use a party that isn't just Steiner-Vivi-Dagger. How was Amarant? I know Freya could be powerful if you do it right.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good to know! Planning to play through FF9 when they get it working on the Vita and I wanted to use a party that isn't just Steiner-Vivi-Dagger. How was Amarant? I know Freya could be powerful if you do it right.

I like to use Eiko over Dagger in most of my FFIX runs. My last run was a Vivi, Freya, Eiko run and it went pretty well. Freya's main issue is that her damage output isn't that great by the end of the game. She's really good midgame though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harlock posted:

I want a whole game focused around Blue Magic as the battle mechanic. Make it so you can only remember so many enemy attacks or something.
What, you mean Threads of Fate?

Rothgil posted:

Freya's main issue is that her damage output isn't that great by the end of the game. She's really good midgame though
Yeah okay dude you officially have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Freya can hit 9999 the moment you steal the Holy Lance from Ark in the middle of the third disc, provided you've killed 100+ dragons (it teaches her Dragon's Crest, the damage formula of which is (# of dragon-type enemies killed ^2)). Most people grind Grand Dragons, but Seripions--you know, those weak-rear end things you can encounter outside of Dragon's Gate at the bottom of Lindblum, look kinda like lizardy things with scorpion tails--are also dragons by the game's reckoning. Reis' Wind is pretty great at all times too. I usually don't use Freya because I just don't like her character, though.

Amarant is actually pretty good and his No Mercy can do quite a lot of damage with no effort aside from what it takes to master it so you can use it with a better weapon than the one that teaches it. He'll do around 9000 with a good weapon equipped even if his level is kind of low, and his Trance makes his Flair skills target all instead of just one.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy XI has Blue Mages that work something like that. Each skill is worth some amount of "points", and you can only equip so many points up to a cap that rises with your level(?).

Mind you, this information may be a few years out of date, and as I never played BLU, could be wrong entirely. But it seems familiar.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Amarant is kind of... average, personally. His physical attacks do decent damage, but then again, Steiner hits harder and his Sword Art skills outclass any damage output Amarant can do by the end of the game. He can Throw, but you'll need a solid supply of weapons to use it regularly. No Mercy is good, cheap damage, but that doesn't really fly by the end of the game. It can hit all enemies if you go into Trance, but Climhazzard beats that.

Amarant's best strengths are Chakra, Revive and his elemental claws. Chakra and Revive are both great supportive spells, and become that much better when he goes into trance. Amarant is arguably your best source of Wind damage with some of his claws, as Twister is unreliable, Fenrir requires an accessory and Rackets require you to attack physically with Dagger/Eiko. (Dagger can use a physical build fairly well actually due to her great selection of equipment, but most people likely won't go there)

Compared to the other physical attackers, Amarant is about on par with Zidane but falls behind if you build up Thievery. He hits less than Steiner but has better support and doesn't require an Ether every 3-4 moves. He hits harder or about on par with Freya until she gets Dragon Crest.

Amarant generally shines mid-game, when you're possibly running out of MP from time to time and Steiner, Freya and Zidane don't have their killer moves yet. He's competent enough late-game, as is any other character, but Chakra and Revive are really the main reasons to use him above other characters.

His final niche is being one of two characters with Return Magic, which is nice against Ozma if you choose to do that, but Vivi fills that slot much better.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can learn ultima by hitting Ramza with it via your other party member in WotL, but you have to have the guy learn it in Riovanes to get it early. It sure was fun getting hit with Ultima, hoping to survive, then trying to kill one of the enemies before Rafa got one-shot. :shepface:

It's even more fun having the game taunt you with it. Playing the PSX version, on my last playthrough I changed Ramza to a different class (ninja maybe?) to try to get my way through that fight as smoothly as possible. What's the first thing one of the ninjas do? Target him with Ultima. :argh: As some sort of strange gently caress you to Elmdor, they finished the fight by putting him to critical with that Ultima.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Amarant is the Red Mage of FFIX. He can do all sorts of things well, but none as well as the focused characters.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

Amarant is the Red Mage of FFIX. He can do all sorts of things well, but none as well as the focused characters.

But I thought he was a Monk :downs:

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

But I thought he was a Monk :downs:

Monk with a Red Mage attitude? :doh:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Amarant and Freya are both really good imo. I never use Vivi after the start of the game really, I don't get the appeal so much. I've never found the damage of his black magic to be much better than the damage Amarant or Freya can do, and they're more robust and have more varied abilities to boot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Paperhouse posted:

Amarant and Freya are both really good imo. I never use Vivi after the start of the game really, I don't get the appeal so much. I've never found the damage of his black magic to be much better than the damage Amarant or Freya can do, and they're more robust and have more varied abilities to boot.

Vivi's great early game while his magic hits almost anything for a weakness. He tapers off around Disc 2 when there are less enemies that does so and are gaining more HP, and Bio isn't quite strong enough to make up for it.

Once he gets the Octagon Rod and the -ga spells, he becomes pretty useful again. The -ga spells are useful till Terra at least, and the Octagon Rod is an excellent weapon due to its natural Water/Wind absorption. Only the Ribbon has the same kind of elemental protection, and as it is it makes certain fights (Red Dragons, Silver Dragon, Kraken) a cakewalk. It also allows Vivi to heal himself using Water. Vivi can also equip items like the Coral Ring and heal himself using a powerful -ga spell, which is nice.

Vivi's also incredibly self-sufficient with Drain and Osmose. If SCCs weren't so easy due to the EXP split, he'd be one of the better ones anyway due to being able to only fear attacks that knock him out in a single blow. If the game was harder, he would be better.

Unfortunately, he kind of starts to lag behind after that. Flare is good, but non-elemental isn't such a big deal when every enemy except humanoids have a weakness. Doomsday is very nice on Disc 4 for healing+damage and for taking out Yans, but it also forces you to wear certain equipment. Dbl Black is very nice with Doomsday, but if you're not using it, Dbl White is arguably better. He's still a great pick against some end-game bosses like Nova Dragon and the Element Four where he can abuse his -ga spells and the Octagon Rod... but beyond that he kinda slips to middle of the pack, especially with Dragon Crest and Bahamut around.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How exactly does the Freelancer class function in FF5? I'm not sure I understand it totally. Is it right that it uses all the non-command abilities from jobs the character has mastered? So, for example, if I have Faris master Ninja, her Freelancer class will automatically have Dual Wield equipped, and assigning it to a slot is a waste of time? Does that work with all non-! abilities?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leovinus posted:

How exactly does the Freelancer class function in FF5? I'm not sure I understand it totally. Is it right that it uses all the non-command abilities from jobs the character has mastered? So, for example, if I have Faris master Ninja, her Freelancer class will automatically have Dual Wield equipped, and assigning it to a slot is a waste of time? Does that work with all non-! abilities?

Essentially yes. Freelancer just gets better as you master more jobs, with only the penality of not having any natural abilities. Berserk I think is the only non-! ability that has to be manually set for it to have an effect.

Also, since Freelancer automatically equips all non-! abilities, this also means it will always have the best positive stat gains from other jobs if possible. So if you mastered Thief and Summoner, your Freelancer would automatically have its Agility and Magic bonuses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leovinus posted:

Freelancer can wear any equipment and can equip two abilities. They automatically benefit from all passive abilities from all the jobs that class has mastered, except the ones that have a downside like Berserk, and as a result, they also have the stat boosts from all mastered jobs.

The tradeoff is that they gain no AP and their stats are rather poor until you've mastered some jobs.

To answer your question, a Freelancer who has mastered Ninja will be able to dual-wield without equipping Dual-Wield, and the same holds true for almost all passive abilities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unfortunately, he kind of starts to lag behind after that. Flare is good, but non-elemental isn't such a big deal when every enemy except humanoids have a weakness. Doomsday is very nice on Disc 4 for healing+damage and for taking out Yans, but it also forces you to wear certain equipment. Dbl Black is very nice with Doomsday, but if you're not using it, Dbl White is arguably better.
Auto Reflect + 2x Reflect is really, really good with Bio. If you Auto-Reflect your entire party and target-all a Bio on yourself, you'll get 9999s against like Ozma even. It'll split randomly in multiple target battles, but chances are you'll do 9999 to everyone it hits anyway. This also makes for the absolute shortest 9999 damage attack animation in the entire game.

Of course, that's kind of a Lv60+ setup, but still. Also both Eiko and Garnet have a passive that ignores Reflect so you can run this and continue to heal your party. It even has the added benefit of caster-type enemies cooking themselves; the only thing you have to worry about at that point is monsters with AI to bounce magic off of their own Reflects.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Haha, five minutes after I asked that question I found my way back to the newbie house at Tule where the lady explained the whole thing at length.

Edit: Incidentally, are there any SA references in FFV Advance? I know FFIV had one or two, and I've seen a couple of pop-culture references in FFV so far, like one of Faris' pirates singing the Lazytown pirate song, and Ghido talking about pizza.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2012

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

fount of knowledge posted:

Final Fantasy XI has Blue Mages that work something like that. Each skill is worth some amount of "points", and you can only equip so many points up to a cap that rises with your level(?).

Mind you, this information may be a few years out of date, and as I never played BLU, could be wrong entirely. But it seems familiar.

You've pretty much got it. FFXI actually has my favourite implementation of Blue Mage in the series because of the ingenious way they managed to balance the class compared to, say, the FFV Blue Mage who basically can break the game over their knee with the right spells.

In FFXI, you can learn the billion or so BLU spells and hold onto them all at once, but can only set a limited number (and each time you change them up you're locked out of casting for about a minute). More direct, useful spells like big damage moves or AoE cures cost more to set then smaller ones that might only buff you for a short while or put an enemy to sleep or something.

It's more than just the spells, though, as each "set" spell gives a unique stat boost. Setting certain combos of spells also provides different passive abilities from the other FFXI jobs; so if you want your Blue Mage to have the Double Attack of a Warrior or the Magic Attack Boost of a Black Mage, you can do that.

The end result is you could set up a combination of spells to be a good physical attacker with supporting stat boosts and passives, and yet with another combination you could trade some of the offensive power to be a backup healer, or a distance nuker, or an actual tank, with wildly different equipment sets to go with each. It's not perfect, as they'll always be most effective just doing straight damage then anything else, but they can pick up any shortcomings in the small groups that most of FFXI's recent content has encouraged.

Of course FFXI doesn't let anyone have anything nice without twisting the knife a little, and as far as BLU is concerned that basically shows up in spending hours trying to get your spells, which don't have a 100% learn rate. This can really suck when you've carved through a dozen mobs to only encounter the learnable move once and not get it when you finally see it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drat you guys know your FF9. I remember the game switches your party a bunch of times anyway but I'm definitely gonna try to settle on Eiko and Freya at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Despite his appearance, Amarant does tend to shine most as a support character rather than a fighter. Often I'll bring him along with my mages and just use him as a MP-battery with Chakra. With my other characters spamming their most powerful attacks every turn and Amarant constantly topping them off, nothing survives long. He can also give enemies elemental weaknesses if I recall, allowing Vivi to murder things even harder.

I guess he wouldn't be as appealing for people who aren't OCD about using Ethers, but I am.

And yeah, as for powering up Dragon Crest I find the best area is near the ocean in the valley below Lindblum. I think pretty much the only encounter is the floating manta-ray type dragonites, which often come in groups of two and are easy to kill. If you wander too far away, you've still got a good chance of running into the scorpion dragon dudes. You can pretty easily get it powered up in about a half hour.