Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Terpfen posted:

Problem with this train of thought: it assumes that the same development teams are involved. They aren't.

Problem with this train of thought: No one cares and still rags on S-E for FF14, even though they fired practically everyone involved with it. Which apparently did them no good anyways...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Mister Roboto posted:

Problem with this train of thought: No one cares and still rags on S-E for FF14, even though they fired practically everyone involved with it. Which apparently did them no good anyways...

Not my fault if people don't care about facts. Point remains, the people who made FF11 and FF14 are not making DQ10.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played Dragon Quest V on DS for ten hours today. What the gently caress...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wouldnt blame you.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

This can happen. And often.

Be wary, friend.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm impressed by your restraint. I lost many a weekend with DQV. :golfclap:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm impressed by your restraint. I lost many a weekend with DQV. :golfclap:

The rest of the weekend has been spent at work. It could have been more.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't understand putting DQX on Wii/Wii U only? Wouldn't they make more money if it were also on pc? I mean, when people think of mmo's they think of PC. I'm open to the idea of it, but I don't have a wii anymore, and I don't plan on buying a Wii U ever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Himuro posted:

I don't understand putting DQX on Wii/Wii U only? Wouldn't they make more money if it were also on pc?

Uh, no. Dragon Quest is gigantic in Japan. They declare it a holiday whenever a new game comes out. One thing that isn't gigantic in Japan, however, is the PC. Barely anyone owns one or considers it a gaming device, especially not to play their precious DQ.

It's just not profitable to make a PC version of it. Final Fantasy at least has/had a brand name popular enough in the West to justify a PC version of the MMOs. DQ doesn't.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I know how big DQ is in Japan, believe me, but at the same time, it just feels like they should capitalize on a pc version like they did with FF11/14.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, no. Dragon Quest is gigantic in Japan. They declare it a holiday whenever a new game comes out. One thing that isn't gigantic in Japan, however, is the PC. Barely anyone owns one or considers it a gaming device, especially not to play their precious DQ.

It's just not profitable to make a PC version of it. Final Fantasy at least has/had a brand name popular enough in the West to justify a PC version of the MMOs. DQ doesn't.

While I agree with the second paragraph, the first paragraph's rather hyperbolic, considering that X is coming out on Thursday, August 2.
Enix moved to release 4 onwards on weekends to avoid having kids skip school to go line up at game shops, but it's not as if the authorities declare a temporary national holiday.

Also, "barely anyone owns [a PC]"?
According to government figures, 77.4% of households have PC, and 86% of them are online (down from 90+% from 2007 ~ 2010 weirdly).

I imagine N paid dearly for exclusivity, if even for a certain time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is released on the dedicated gaming platform with the largest userbase, period, but it's conceivable that they'd make an exception for an MMO, since it's already going to be cross-platform.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
I'd imagine there's going to be a PC version down the line. For longevity's sake it makes sense. It is odd that DQX is releasing on a weekday, possibly speaks towards sales expectations...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

it's not as if the authorities declare a temporary national holiday.

That was hyperbole :).

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Also, "barely anyone owns [a PC]"?

This on the other hand wasn't. I was tired and meant barely anyone owns a PC for gaming. From what I hear the Japanese would rather play terrible games on smartphones than touch a computer for games. I don't know why this is, except for some explanation the PC is (or was) seen as the platform for hentai games and barely anything else. I assume you can offer more insight into this :shobon:.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
A lot of new footage came out of today's Nintendo Direct. Looks nice enough, could do with some lighting and better shadows but overall it moves a lot better than one might think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb43ZmG6bE

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gloam posted:

A lot of new footage came out of today's Nintendo Direct. Looks nice enough, could do with some lighting and better shadows but overall it moves a lot better than one might think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb43ZmG6bE

It looks like they took the DQVIII/DQXI look and transplanted to the Wii, which is a good thing. But the combat at the end looks just like every MMO ever and that really turns me off. Since I can't read japanese, are they saying you can play the entire game solo with no other people and just created party members ala IX?

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

It looks like they took the DQVIII/DQXI look and transplanted to the Wii, which is a good thing. But the combat at the end looks just like every MMO ever and that really turns me off. Since I can't read japanese, are they saying you can play the entire game solo with no other people and just created party members ala IX?

Yeah you can play solo with AI but you still have to be connected to the internet by the looks of things.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gloam posted:

Yeah you can play solo with AI but you still have to be connected to the internet by the looks of things.

Given the nature of online games, I wonder if there will be a Hero centric story like all the previous games or if you'll be just some guy. Will the multiplayer aspect extend past the story White Knight Chronicles style I wonder?

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

Given the nature of online games, I wonder if there will be a Hero centric story like all the previous games or if you'll be just some guy. Will the multiplayer aspect extend past the story White Knight Chronicles style I wonder?

It's likely that they'll have post-game stuff. Another post I read suggested that you may be able to transform from Human to Tribe depending on the situation after a certain point in the story. I imagine the presentation of the story will be similar to DQIX, not overly focused on the hero or his party, moreso on the troubles of townspeople etc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope they offer the ability to purchase service for this abroad. If so, I might try to play it. It seems like a very "loose" MMO from what I gathered watching that video, IE, about as much of an MMO as Diablo III maybe? Or possibly more so, but it probably feels like a single player game at heart.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gloam posted:

It's likely that they'll have post-game stuff. Another post I read suggested that you may be able to transform from Human to Tribe depending on the situation after a certain point in the story. I imagine the presentation of the story will be similar to DQIX, not overly focused on the hero or his party, moreso on the troubles of townspeople etc.

Sounds like every Dragon Quest, really.

Yes, fine, with the always-mentioned exception of 5.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since I'm incapable of reading Japanese and stuck waiting for 3DS Terry's Wonderland like just about everyone else, I decided to start playing DQM2 again. I used to own the cart for Tara's Adventure so this time I'm going with Cobi's Journey.

Am I right in assuming that the only difference between both versions is how frequently certain monsters show up, and that there's no wild monsters unique to one version?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

iastudent posted:

Am I right in assuming that the only difference between both versions is how frequently certain monsters show up, and that there's no wild monsters unique to one version?

Pretty much, although they have access to different towers. I think Cobi gets the brawn key and Tara gets the baffle key.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Here's the entire Nintendo Direct that just happened solely focused on Dragon Quest X. If you are curious at all about this game it's worth watching the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5aoxtxge5M

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean for a DQ mmo it doesn't look half bad I guess. But who the hell wanted a DQ mmo :sigh:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Alright, who is in for DQX? I am on the fence.

Apparently, there is an IP block. However, you can bypass it with VPN. If I could find some people to play with, I might be compelled to go in, however I would want people that know at least a fair amount of Japanese to play with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So you start as a human and then after some event you make your non-human character from a handful of races that double as your classes and don't seem to have any relation to any past Dragon Quest stuff?

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Alright, who is in for DQX? I am on the fence.

Apparently, there is an IP block. However, you can bypass it with VPN. If I could find some people to play with, I might be compelled to go in, however I would want people that know at least a fair amount of Japanese to play with.

I'm in game should be here tomorrow, will keep you all posted on the failures/successes of trying to connect to the servers.

Also, Kotaku is live streaming the game this second, http://www.twitch.tv/biggestinjapan

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's another DQX stream that's live right now. Just now, they hit some sort of invisible wall and was forced to restart the game.
http://www.justin.tv/rx_888

Amazon is getting a number of negative reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B007XQPMDE/

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Amazon is getting a number of negative reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B007XQPMDE/

For anyone that can read Japanese, what mainly are they complaining about?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
All I did was run it through Google translate, but even the good review on top seems to be saying it's grindy.

Others say battles are dull, I see one complaining about griefing.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

iastudent posted:

For anyone that can read Japanese, what mainly are they complaining about?

There's naturally a lot of different complaints but the high price (6800 yen + 16GB or more memory stick + 1000 yen monthly charge) and use of registration code to prevent resales is a common theme.

Some mentioned slowdown, weak effects, overly spacious world maps, the offline component feeling like an afterthought (and being limited in scope). The general theme seems to be "not as bad as it could have been, but a rather uninspiring MMO with little outside of appearance to tie it to the series".

Personally I'm still interested in trying it, but I think I'll wait a bit to see if the price drops a bit before I dive in. 8800 yen for the memory stick pack is a pretty large chunk of change to drop when D3 has no monthly free and PSO2 is pay-as-you-go.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It's worth noting that the Japan equivalent of gaming-age immediately troll-reviews every big-name game release on Amazon after launch.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
I've been playing a fair bit of DQ10 over the last day or so. The offline mode is interesting enough, it offers a 'faster' experience than the online game, you gain gold and levels quickly, and it seems geared towards a fast pace. Gives you something to do when the servers are down.

Online, the game is pretty much the same but slower, you tend to not get much gold from monsters and so you'll have to rely on alchemy and other methods to build up some cash. Graphics are pretty nice, there's some baked particle effects going on here and there. Cutscenes are nicely animated and they do a good job of mixing CG with realtime stuff. One thing you'll definitely notice is that everyone is really polite, other players are healing and cheering everyone else on and so far the game has a chilled and friendly atmosphere.

I'm digging it, is anyone else playing?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Best Buy has DQ9 and DQM: Joker 2 for :10bux: each during their "gaming blowout sale", starting today.

Shipping not available for either one currently, though. You'd have to buy in-store or arrange for store pickup.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How's Joker 2? Played the first one which seemed alright but online play was useless because most fights I found were against creatures with impossible stats.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's Joker 2? Played the first one which seemed alright but online play was useless because most fights I found were against creatures with impossible stats.

Honestly, the matchmaking in Joker 2 is pretty badly balanced. My lower-tier teams got matched up way too often with other teams of top-ranked monsters with stats grinded to max.

Word is that Terry's Wonderland 3DS suffers from the same problem.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just so everyone knows, DQX's import issue was cracked. So you can play it in the US now.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Just so everyone knows, DQX's import issue was cracked. So you can play it in the US now.

Wait... does that mean I can buy the Japanese version and play it on my US Wii?

Hey, Gloam, how do the slimes look? Have you found any friendly slimes that talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Mister Roboto posted:

How? Did they open up their JP servers to IPs out of Japan?
If that's the case, I can finally open that shiny new package that's been sitting there the past ten days.