Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The weird blonde one saying tories face more discrimination than gays, :wtf:

They are, in the way that paedophiles are also discriminated against more than gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You mean how pedophiles are running the country?

Or that Tories are arrested and sent to jail?

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I was working in a room where that documentary was on, so I could hear it but not see their faces. The younger one seemed completely pathetic, obsessed with biscuits and cheese (the key to becoming a tory backbencher?), but I found myself kind of warming to the older one by the end because he was from Yorkshire and his heart seemed in the right place, even if it was not the place I'd have chosen to put it. But then I got to look at their faces. Christ all-mighty blilmey O'Reily just look at yourselves lads! What are you playing at!

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I preface this by mentioning that I was very stoned on both occasions I watched it but that celebrity Bedlam show on channel 4 was pretty funny. The cloning skit especially was just the right kind of creepy and absurd for me and I saw a trailer for a political satire thingy type show called "the revolution will be televised" that might be good or poo poo. Someone tell me if I am correct or incorrect please.

Edit: I've been enjoying the olympics a lot too, I dug the opening ceremony mostly and I've been getting goosebumps pretty much every time anyone wins anything. That Niger rower the other day is my personal highlight, comes in last like a minute behind the next slowest, everyone's cheering him on. Love it.

meme fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 10, 2012

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Howards Bellend posted:

I was working in a room where that documentary was on, so I could hear it but not see their faces. The younger one seemed completely pathetic, obsessed with biscuits and cheese (the key to becoming a tory backbencher?), but I found myself kind of warming to the older one by the end because he was from Yorkshire and his heart seemed in the right place, even if it was not the place I'd have chosen to put it. But then I got to look at their faces. Christ all-mighty blilmey O'Reily just look at yourselves lads! What are you playing at!

The older lad with dyslexia was so touching when he was home with his grandfather or when he was crying about the classism of the people he was associating himself with. If he could just realise that he was lucky to have a support network in his family that other people in his situation don't have and then recognised that the system he aspired to is working against him because of who he was born as, and actually managed to join the dots up, he could probably be a really decent bloke.

The blonde lad was okay but I felt like he was some bullied kid that just wanted to belong somewhere. And watching the Cambridge toffs sniggering as soon as they saw him was just pathetic from them.

If they showed the 2 spouting some hideous right-wing views I'd hate them but they both came off as just a bit tragic.*

*Both will be more successful than me and probably ultimately happier.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

You are welcome.

TJO posted:

The older lad with dyslexia was so touching when he was home with his grandfather or when he was crying about the classism of the people he was associating himself with. If he could just realise that he was lucky to have a support network in his family that other people in his situation don't have and then recognised that the system he aspired to is working against him because of who he was born as, and actually managed to join the dots up, he could probably be a really decent bloke.

The blonde lad was okay but I felt like he was some bullied kid that just wanted to belong somewhere. And watching the Cambridge toffs sniggering as soon as they saw him was just pathetic from them.

If they showed the 2 spouting some hideous right-wing views I'd hate them but they both came off as just a bit tragic.*

*Both will be more successful than me and probably ultimately happier.

I'm watching it now and this is spot on. The moments when they are realising the arsehole world of back biting they're trying to enter are outweighed by the moments of arsehole backbiting. Who has the time or energy for that kind of thing really?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What I found strange was how the Northern one had this epiphany where he realised that in order to be a successful Tory, he had to completely hide and abandon all of his roots and his past, and it brought him to tears.

But rather than decide that this is because the Conservative party is the party of rich, privelleged, snobbish wankers and either leaving or defecting to a different party, he sticks with the people who bully and ignore him, albeit from a more outside-pissing-in position.

He seemed like an immensely intelligent bloke, he just needed to be steered in a different direction.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of Tories: I get that the Olympics must be crushing everything in the ratings, but Midsomer Murders really doesn't belong on TV at 8pm on a Saturday. Keep it on a Sunday so a new generation of kids can be depressed on Sunday evenings.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
Didn't they cancel midsummer murders for being racist or something. I vaguely remember something in the papers?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Pretty sure everyone in Midsomer has been killed by now so they have no reason to make any more epsiodes.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

meme posted:

Didn't they cancel midsummer murders for being racist or something. I vaguely remember something in the papers?

It wasn't cancelled, but the man who created and produced it was fired after suggesting the show only worked because it lacked 'ethnic minority' characters. How he could possibly believe that I don't know.

A black person in an English village? The very idea!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It wasn't cancelled, but the man who created and produced it was fired after suggesting the show only worked because it lacked 'ethnic minority' characters. How he could possibly believe that I don't know.

To be fair who doesn't want to see bourgeois white Anglo people kill each other.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

A black person in an English village? The very idea!

To be fair, the show seems to harken back to the idea of an idyllic English village. I would've said before that it was a deliberate choice (And if they were trying to harken back to the Agatha Christie-esque mysteries of yore then it certainly worked), but after those comments it just sounds like the creator probably didn't like black people.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

GimpChimp posted:

To be fair who doesn't want to see bourgeois white Anglo people kill each other.

Well yeah but not one at a time, maybe if Midsummer was just a gladiatorial arena it'd be worth watching

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Olympics coverage ending with another redundant cover song, this time it's Imagine. Hope this poo poo is done with now.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Olympics coverage ending with another redundant cover song, this time it's Imagine. Hope this poo poo is done with now.

Come on Macca. I believe in you. I believe you can turn the chorus of Imagine into 'Hey Jude'.

Imagine there's naaaaa naaaa naaaa nanananaaaaaaaa

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Elbow rocking it :getin:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

So theres been rumours about Mr. Jones playing Heroes at the ceremony... Fingers crossed!

phujck
Apr 24, 2010

I keep coming here out of some misplaced sense of history, but I don't /want/ to be here.
That enormous grey construction, what could it be?

Is it a shark?

Is it a dead rhino?

No! It's a terrifying flatpack Death Mask of John Lennon!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

So theres been rumours about Mr. Jones playing Heroes at the ceremony... Fingers crossed!

I am going to be severely disappointed if this doesn't happen, now that you've mentioned it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Did ol George have a stipulation that he had to perform a new track?? I don't know this track..

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I am going to be severely disappointed if this doesn't happen, now that you've mentioned it.

Unretire... for just one day!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Oh what the gently caress

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Oh what the gently caress

loving teasing me they are. Teasing!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
No Kate Bush. gently caress. This is so cruddy compared to the opening ceremony.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh Jesus Russell Brand, I was actually enjoying the intro to that song till he pitched up..

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
The BBC has just turned into ITV1 for the last 2 hours.

This is so below the level of the opening ceremony. I think it's a coordinated plan to strip Britain of all its Olympic optimism and return us back to to the cynical self-hating bastards we were 2 weeks ago.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really really really really hope that they managed to get The Wurzels involved in some way.

Ha ha Posh Spice does not want to be there.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Boris Johnson dancing was worth the Spice Girls nonsense.

edit: what the hell has happened to Liam Gallagher's voice? Also, someone tell him to raise the mic stand a few inches.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Boris Johnson dancing was worth the Spice Girls nonsense.

Yep.

Who the hell are 'Beady Eye'? Come on lads, the Spice Girls could reunionate for one night.

edit-Ha, my 2nd cousin once removed is in Beady Eye/Oasis.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Do the Spice Girls really hate each other? There wasn't much teamwork going on there!

And yet again, Liam Gallagher looks like he's in a bad cover band.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

netally posted:

And yet again, Liam Gallagher looks like he's in a bad cover band.

My wife just said the same. They got the wrong brother.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Noel must be furious, unless he's going to be doing something with the High Flying Birds later.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I like Eric Idle here, this is better.

Yeah Liam. Oh dear.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Rondette posted:

Ok I like Eric Idle here, this is better.

Yeah Liam. Oh dear.

I have been arguing for that to be the new national anthem for years.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
so far Annie Lennox and Eric Idle have been the only highlights.
Muse were ok as well as Freddie from beyond the grave.

Fuller9x fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Glad they're getting a second use out of the opening ceremony costumes.

Still another 15 mins of this? Was hoping Muse would close it.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
George Michael > Spice Girls > everyone else > Muse

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Does Boris get to do a speech before we hand over to the next host?

edit: hope he just does that dance again and then says 'there you go!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Handsome Dead posted:

Noel must be furious, unless he's going to be doing something with the High Flying Birds later.

He's getting all that PRS cash, he doesn't give a gently caress if his brother just embarrassed himself in front of millions of people.

Edit: OHH poo poo, HERE COMES BORIS.