Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I'm new to this ROM stuff, while I enjoy the default one on my N7 I'd like to see what my options are, I'm already rooted and have backups of everything so I should be ready to give anything a try.
So what do you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Reive posted:

So I'm new to this ROM stuff, while I enjoy the default one on my N7 I'd like to see what my options are, I'm already rooted and have backups of everything so I should be ready to give anything a try.
So what do you guys recommend?

I've been messing around with Paranoid Android. It's pretty cool because you can use a tablet UI instead of a blown up phone UI.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm using EuroSkank's "Jellybro" rom for the toroplus and I wanted to know if anyone has any experience for the kernels for both ICS + JB.

What would be the best one or at least the most stable one right now?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Crap, I think I borked my Google Wallet. I rooted my GNex, then activated it, and the credit card I already had linked to Google Wallet online was there, so I selected it.

But then I de-rooted and flashed back to stock to see if it would fix my connection issues (didn't,) and forgot to "de-authorize" it, or whatever. So now I can sign into Wallet just fine, but that card isn't there, all I have are "Add Citi Mastercard, "Add Google Prepaid Card" and "Add Gift Card."

I'm hosed, right?

Edit: O, it's working now...I guess it just needed the update from the Play Store.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2012

eig
Oct 16, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Crap, I think I borked my Google Wallet. I rooted my GNex, then activated it, and the credit card I already had linked to Google Wallet online was there, so I selected it.

But then I de-rooted and flashed back to stock to see if it would fix my connection issues (didn't,) and forgot to "de-authorize" it, or whatever. So now I can sign into Wallet just fine, but that card isn't there, all I have are "Add Citi Mastercard, "Add Google Prepaid Card" and "Add Gift Card."

I'm hosed, right?

I reflashed a few times and forgot about Wallet/didn't know I could break it and mine works just fine! I think if it give you an error when it opens, then you're screwed.

edit Also you should be able to add any credit card now? I added my Visa debit card and it works great :-]

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

eig posted:

edit Also you should be able to add any credit card now? I added my Visa debit card and it works great :-]

How do you do this now? I read about that and wanted to try it, but I'm still stuck with the same options as before.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

How do you do this now? I read about that and wanted to try it, but I'm still stuck with the same options as before.

There is an update on the Market, but I think it might only be for a small number of devices (maybe only the S3?).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why would the S3 be the only Android phone that has the latest Google Wallet? I've got it on my GNex, it works great.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah I downloaded it off the market on my VZW GNex maybe like a week or 2 ago.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Why would the S3 be the only Android phone that has the latest Google Wallet? I've got it on my GNex, it works great.

Because I've heard that not every NFC phone got the update, and the SGS3 is the only phone I know for sure got it because I have one. Pure conjecture. v:shobon:v

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
My dumbass posted this in the non-rooted thread, but:

For you brave souls with a Galaxy S3 and Verizon rocking CM10, what has been your ROM of choice? Or are you sticking with an ICS rom? I've seen good things about the Synergy rom.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Those with Sprint SGS3, quick question. Had anyone given CM10 a shot yet? What about AOKP? How are they working for you so far? Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on a stock ROM, and at this point either just need a wifi tether app, or a stock based ROM that can natively tether. Suggestions on the best options?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

Those with Sprint SGS3, quick question. Had anyone given CM10 a shot yet? What about AOKP? How are they working for you so far? Thanks.

I've been running CM10 for two days and it's really nice. I did have it lock up one after I got a Gmail notification but it's still being worked on. Battery life is great, everything seems to work except picasa sync. I'd say give it a try. Any anger I have towards it seems to be jelly bean stuff.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on a stock ROM, and at this point either just need a wifi tether app, or a stock based ROM that can natively tether. Suggestions on the best options?

All you have to do to make a rooted phone able to use the native tethering is to flip a few flags in your settings. Here are instructions for it on the Droid Bionic, but it should be pretty much the same on any phone.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-enable-free-wi-fi-tethering-on-droid-bionic-verizon/

Other than that Barnacle http://szym.net/barnacle/ and Wifi Tether http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ are both good

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been running CM10 for two days and it's really nice. I did have it lock up one after I got a Gmail notification but it's still being worked on. Battery life is great, everything seems to work except picasa sync. I'd say give it a try. Any anger I have towards it seems to be jelly bean stuff.

Why is the JB stuff upsetting you? I don't use picasa so I'm good with that. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

Why is the JB stuff upsetting you? I don't use picasa so I'm good with that. Thanks.

Just all the fuckery they did with sound settings. Third party apps can no longer toggle vibration for notifications, and if you unlink ringer volume from notification volume, silent mode only turns your ringer off. I'm forced to completely change how I deal with sound settings. I should probably look into CM10 profiles.

I think picasa sync not working also means auto upload to G+ doesn't work. Not sure if dropbox upload still works.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

Had anyone given CM10 a shot yet?
It's been slightly rocky this past week as folks have been folding in performance improvements (essentially "butter") from the CAF (Qualcomm) repos, and some of the kernel work resulted in instability/reboots. I think that's pretty much been sorted out though.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I've been running BAMF Paradigm 2.1 (Jellybean ROM) on a VZW Galaxy Nexus for about 4 days right now and it's fast as poo poo and I have zero issues at all with it. Just in case someone was looking for something like that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does anybody know if there is a way to automate CM10 profiles based on time, preferably with Tasker, and also if there is a way to add profile switching to the CM10 lockscreen?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Thanks for all the help, folks.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

stuart scott irl posted:

I've been running BAMF Paradigm 2.1 (Jellybean ROM) on a VZW Galaxy Nexus for about 4 days right now and it's fast as poo poo and I have zero issues at all with it. Just in case someone was looking for something like that.

Same here, on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I just rooted for the first time and this was the first rom I tried.

Google Now is pretty cool to play with. The car dock now works much better. (I modded a GSM pogo-pin car dock to work with the CDMA Nexus) The music app works better. I installed the DSP manager, and the audio sounds great. The hold-the-volume-button-to-skip-tracks function is great. 4gLTE toggle. You can change the color of the navbar buttons, or add a search button.

Best of all is how much smoother Jelly Bean is over 4.0.4. Very fast, smooth transitions, no stuttering. Feels like a new phone.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just noticed that the system.ext4 and data.ext4 files are much larger in the first nandroid backup I made when I rooted my phone than any of the more recent backups. Is there a reason for that? They're 306mb and 69.7mb in the first backup and less than a meg in every subsequent backup. All the other files are about the same.

Also, as far as backing up these files to my computer, do I copy the whole clockworkmod folder or just the dated files in the "backup" folder?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Drifter287 posted:

I just noticed that the system.ext4 and data.ext4 files are much larger in the first nandroid backup I made when I rooted my phone than any of the more recent backups. Is there a reason for that? They're 306mb and 69.7mb in the first backup and less than a meg in every subsequent backup. All the other files are about the same.

Also, as far as backing up these files to my computer, do I copy the whole clockworkmod folder or just the dated files in the "backup" folder?

Could this be what's happening:
https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/L5aVZe7C9vg

from Koush:
TL;DR:
ClockworkMod Recovery now deduplicates files between builds. This results in way smaller backups.
Don't delete /sdcard/clockworkmod/blobs

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Okay so about 4 months ago I bought a rezound off craigslist. I thought it was stock but when I tried to run the ICS update today the clockwork recovery mod came up. It must have prevented me from getting the ICS update. How do I tell if S-OFF is on and all that because if this thing is already rooted I'm just gonna put CM9 on it.

According to TitaniumBackup it isn't rooted. Something must be blocking me from receiving the official ICS update though. What do I do.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Glimm posted:

Could this be what's happening:
https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/L5aVZe7C9vg

from Koush:
TL;DR:
ClockworkMod Recovery now deduplicates files between builds. This results in way smaller backups.
Don't delete /sdcard/clockworkmod/blobs

Christ, way to switch to incremental backups after a year of doing them all full. CWM better pop up 10 warnings first or a lot of people are going to get hosed up. Honestly I don't like this change at all, I like being able to just copy the nandroid folder and not have to think about preserving blob folders or whatever. It at least could have made a single folder for the original backup and nested the rest inside it or something.

metachronos posted:

According to TitaniumBackup it isn't rooted. Something must be blocking me from receiving the official ICS update though. What do I do.

Maybe just go here and install the rooted stock ICS image manually, since you do have CMW.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-update-for-htc-rezound/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 14, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I swear to god there's something about CM10. Whether it's the Trebuchet launcher or what, loving something in CM10 causes "Android OS" battery usage to go through the roof.

Using an early, early build that had no Trebuchet and some other hosed up features (no USB mass storage, etc) on my Galaxy S II (AT&T) that process had something like 7% battery life max. All was well, I had managed to stem the bleeding of my battery by uninstalling some third party apps that were always using >10% for some reason. Then today I flash the new build and it's at 24%. And things feel a little clunky and slower again.

Basically, gently caress it all, I wish they were happy being "Stock Android for OEMs" rather than trying to improve things too much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Try Apex launcher instead of Trebuchet maybe? I use CM10 Skyrocket rom on my nearly identical Hercules phone and I'm not seeing Android OS taking more than a percent.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's kind of funny because the general advice is "wipe everything including /system and start over again" as though it's some kind of bug, but the earliest preview builds didn't have this. The other day the maintainer for this device released a new version and they've ported over enough of their own modifications that Android OS is eating 20%+ again instead of 5% like before. I'll probably go back to the ten days ago build and miss any future optimizations simply because I don't turn into a raging sperglord every time I look at battery and see that figure.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I swear to god there's something about CM10. Whether it's the Trebuchet launcher or what, loving something in CM10 causes "Android OS" battery usage to go through the roof.

Use BetterBatteryStats to check for extended Kernel or Partial Wakelocks.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Started toying with my (work's) VZW SGS3 last night, and I wound up getting a CM10 nightly on to it. That was fine, until you get into CM10 and it asks you up front "do you want to update ClockworkRecoverywhatever?" .. IU figure to myself , "yeah that sounds like a great goddamned idea".

Now after rebooting the phone, it's hosed. boot loop. I've downloaded a bunch of "stock" roms both rooted and unrooted and tried to have odin gently caress them into this paperweight, to no avail. The best i've done is gotten to the Verizon "4GLTE" screen where it just hangs.

I'm now cruising the XDA forums and tracking down a solution.

Lesson is : Don't trust anything, ever. Don't make the same mistake I did. I've now come across some posts on that forum of people saying "yeah, don't let the rom manager do anything with your recovery". Whoops.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

Now after rebooting the phone, it's hosed. boot loop.
Sounds like the issue is a corrupt /data partition. Not sure why updating ClockworkMod had anything to do with this, but poo poo happens.

The real problem is that SGS3 stock tars don't include a userdata.img, so it doesn't matter how many times you reflash back to stock, if you have a corrupt /data your phone won't boot until you wipe it. So:

1. Download the stock firmware and flash that, if you're not already on stock firmware.

2. Once flashed, boot into stock recovery by holding vol-up, home, and power, until "Booting Recovery" shows up in the upper left corner in tiny blue font.

3. The first time you enter stock recovery it'll apply a CSC update. My memory is a bit fuzzy here but I think it will reboot automatically and you'll get hosed at the "4G LTE" screen. That's OK. Battery pull, then repeat #2. If it doesn't reboot automatically you should end up in "manual mode" which is what you ultimately want.

4. Once in stock recovery "manual mode", select "wipe data/factory reset" with the vol-down key, and press power.

This should reformat /data, at which point you should be able to boot into Android and, after a somewhat-lengthy first boot (but shorter than 10 minutes) it should act like it's brand new.

Now, unfortuantely, if /data is sufficiently wedged, the wipe in stock recovery itself will hang. If this happens, it's a PITA, but correctable.

At this point, hopefully you already have adb installed on your PC. If not, you'll have to prep that. If you have a Windows PC, you'll have to install the Samsung USB Drivers. On Windows, Mac, or Linux, you'll then have to install the Android SDK, and from within it, install the "Android SDK Platform-tools" package, which should contain an "adb" or "adb.exe" program. You may also be able to find standalone "adb.exe"s on the Internet. There's a bunch of guides that better explain how to install adb than my terse explanation here, that's basically what you need to do.

Anyways, once adb is installed, you'll need to:

4. Download and flash CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v4-adb.tar.md5. This is a special build of SGS3's CWM with fixed adb USB device ids. CWM is needed because (i) you can adb with it, and (ii) it doesn't attempt to mount /data, so it being wedged is fine.

5. Download make_ext4fs. Place it in the directory on your PC from which you'll be running adb commands.

5. Three-finger boot into CWM recovery. Then enter these commands at a command line on your PC:
code:
adb push make_ext4fs /tmp/
adb shell
Now, verify you have a "~ #" prompt, then run:
code:
chmod 755 /tmp/make_ext4fs
/tmp/make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
sync
That will reformat the /data partition manually so it's no longer wedged. At that point you should be able to repeat steps 1-4 to reflash stock recovery, reboot into stock recovery (which will apply the CSC update, and maybe even boot into a working Android this time), and then do a final "wipe data/factory reset" to make sure you're really all set.

Do note that you'll lose everything on the "internal SD card" in this process. But if /data is hosed, you've already lost it.

(Crazy directions taken from this xda post. Avoid reading the rest of that thread, it's a poo poo show.)

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 15, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

holy poo poo that's an amazing response, Excess. I wasn't aware of the "up volume" option on boot. I had started following the steps, did the "wipe data/factory reset" , rebooted, and now it works!

I owe you an avatar or forums upgrade and a handjob. Until they figure out a way to send handjobs over TCP/IP, you'll have to settle for the former. Which can I repay your kindness with?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

I had started following the steps, did the "wipe data/factory reset" , rebooted, and now it works!
Hooray easy route worked! You really didn't want to have to go the hard route.

I think I already have all the useful upgrades, and I'm proud to be a Stupid Newbie. So I dunno, have a beer on my behalf?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hooray easy route worked! You really didn't want to have to go the hard route.

I think I already have all the useful upgrades, and I'm proud to be a Stupid Newbie. So I dunno, have a beer on my behalf?

on it!

Yeah, I'd gotten the SDK installed, most of the other stuff downloaded, and was approaching "4. Download and flash CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v4-adb.tar.md5"

I think i'm just going to wait for them to push JB over the air in a month or so. :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know if they've released a CM10 for the samsung GS3 yet?

Man I want paranoid android on this bitch so badly...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Define released. There's been official preview builds (T-Mobile) that plenty of people are using as daily drivers for weeks now. If you mean at least an official Alpha/Beta/RC or something, then no it's not available on the official site yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Define released. There's been official preview builds (T-Mobile) that plenty of people are using as daily drivers for weeks now. If you mean at least an official Alpha/Beta/RC or something, then no it's not available on the official site yet.

Released as in available and won't brick my phone.

I have the SCH-R530U which is apparently an offshoot of the verizon one?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Released as in available and won't brick my phone.

I have the SCH-R530U which is apparently an offshoot of the verizon one?

The previews don't really run the risk of bricking your phone, they're just not feature complete. I've been running "previews" on the VZW Galaxy Nexus for three weeks now, and it improves each time, and more features are added.

Just make sure you have a ROM for your actual phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I'm a retard idiot baby and read the OP, but didn't see anything specific to the Galaxy S3, which I just bought. Upgraded from the 2007 original droid :v:

So obviously I want to root it, being the aforementioned retard idiot baby. I am going to use this guide: http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-sch-i535-root-101633/

I have the aforementioned SCH-I535 model, or that's what the phone tells me in system information. I'm good to go, right? I googled this as well, but didn't really find anything, so: what's the go-to ROM for the s3?

I'm sure the question has been asked way too much, but I have no idea what I'm doing oh god what's tethering what's a dessert got to do with a phone

Scionix fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 16, 2012