Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cronox2 posted:

If there's one thing that's really stuck out as odd to me it's the random un-translated things. Default round announcer calling Teddie as Kuma, the P-1 Grand Prix intro still having Japanese text but with English just lazily placed over it, etc.

This isn't a complaint though, just thought it was a bit weird.

I've never noticed the Teddie/Kuma thing, and it the intro seemed well...like it fit in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Hyun. posted:

There is no 'rematch' option. You have to go back to character select every single time. This means three load screens between matches. This is dumb as hell.

Oh yeah, I guess you're right. At least they load really quickly, quickly enough that I never even noticed.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Speedball posted:

I am struggling to find a reason to not get this game, because it's looking more and more appealing as time goes on. So, just in the interest of curiosity:

What would you guys say is the worst quality of Persona 4: Arena?

Lack of Koromaru as a playable character.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

cronox2 posted:

Default round announcer calling Teddie as Kuma

I could be wrong, but I think it was since the same announcer was used for the arcade version.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

LibbyM posted:

Lack of Koromaru as a playable character.

I have to agree with this. What a horrible oversight on Atlus' part, leaving out literally the best fighter in P3.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Emalde posted:

I have to agree with this. What a horrible oversight on Atlus' part, leaving out literally the best fighter in P3.

Watch as a DLC character pack comes out and it's nothing but Metis and Ken.

Sulfurouscosine
Feb 4, 2009
Hello. I was wondering if any of you ps3 folks play in any private/public lobbies or do most of you play ranked matches. My psn is Jbug13 if anyone is down for playing some rounds.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like that they didn't just bring back Mitsuru and Akihiko, they're a little bit older and a little bit more awesomer. Aki's definitely been hitting the protein shakes since P3, he was actually pretty skinny there.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001
The one complaint I have is that the stage and music default to auto. I wish it would save preferences or at least default to random/random.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

I am struggling to find a reason to not get this game, because it's looking more and more appealing as time goes on. So, just in the interest of curiosity:

The fact that Atlus just sold the last copies in their warehouse, meaning we're gonna see shortages over the next month or so, limiting the possible playerbase?

(Read: what the gently caress are you waiting for GET IT NOW YOU FOOL!)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

The fact that Atlus just sold the last copies in their warehouse, meaning we're gonna see shortages over the next month or so, limiting the possible playerbase?

(Read: what the gently caress are you waiting for GET IT NOW YOU FOOL!)

DING DING DING I have been convinced to get it! Thank you!

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
How do some of you, particularly the fighting game enthusiasts/hardcore players, feel about the instant kill mechanic? I'm trying to sell my buddy overseas on picking this game up but he says that the instant kill poo poo sounds like game-breaking comeback mechanic bullshit. I argue that you have to earn the right to use it and it's easy enough to avoid so it's not really comparable to something like X-Factor lvl 3 Wesker.

I'm also curious because it'd be nice to have an idea of how this game will shake out in the competitive scene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FauxCyclops posted:

How do some of you, particularly the fighting game enthusiasts/hardcore players, feel about the instant kill mechanic? I'm trying to sell my buddy overseas on picking this game up but he says that the instant kill poo poo sounds like game-breaking comeback mechanic bullshit. I argue that you have to earn the right to use it and it's easy enough to avoid so it's not really comparable to something like X-Factor lvl 3 Wesker.

Unlike XF, Instant Kill techniques can only be used if you're way ahead to begin with and still have a crazy specific set of restrictions attached on top of that, so they're more like a stylish humiliation technique than an actual viable way to win a fight.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's not a comeback mechanic since you have to be on match point yourself to even use it. Plus you need 100SP on top of that.

Plus they are almost all really, really bad and nobody ever uses them in matches. So they're almost a complete non-factor anyway.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

FauxCyclops posted:

It's super slow, usually very easy to block, and much more unsafe than just taking the match normally. It was not an issue in GG and BB, except when someone decided they had to end the match in style.

So no, it's definitely not gamebreaking. At all. But it does tend to work on people who are bad/mashing!

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
I've used them to steal back a couple of matches that I flubbed, but one could argue that I deserved those wins because those opponents sucked. :smug:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Is it...okay to like this game based on pure style? I was a little apprehensive going into the concept of a Persona based fighting game but man did Atlus get all of the little things right.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Speedball posted:

The matchmaking in player matches is kinda hosed up, the entire "wait while we see how laggy this person is" is a nice idea in theory, but it seems like I have to sit there for ages for it to even check one room, and more often then not the room it checks is a private game (why the hell does it list these?)

quote:

How do some of you, particularly the fighting game enthusiasts/hardcore players, feel about the instant kill mechanic?
Pretty much all of them are total garbage, elizbeth, kanji and aigis can use theirs to punish really stupid people but that's about it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

darealkooky posted:

Pretty much all of them are total garbage, elizbeth, kanji and aigis can use theirs to punish really stupid people but that's about it.

You CAN combo into Shadow Labrys's when she's in awakening but good luck with that!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The IKs are funny and cute to throw out against your friends who don't know what a particular character's looks like yet. Other than that they pretty much don't matter, but I totally expect one to claim a match at a big tournament some time and make everyone in the stream get pissed. I'd rather they had given characters taunts and respects like GG had.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Other than the things mentioned, the worst thing about this game is that the Persona 3 characters don't shoot themselves in the had to summon their personas :colbert:

khazre
May 31, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Other than the things mentioned, the worst thing about this game is that the Persona 3 characters don't shoot themselves in the had to summon their personas :colbert:

Mitsuru and Akihiko both use their evokers with their instant kill attacks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

axleblaze posted:

They don't always. But they do sometimes.

efb

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Jon Irenicus posted:

Is it...okay to like this game based on pure style? I was a little apprehensive going into the concept of a Persona based fighting game but man did Atlus get all of the little things right.

Honestly, that's a good chunk of the appeal to me as well, even as someone that's into competitive side of fighting games. Hearing the P3 music for the first time in story mode made me excited, and I think it's neat seeing how each character has their main moves from the original games incorporated in a fighter.

EDIT: I think Akihiko says in his story mode that Mitsuru and he are skilled enough to use their Personas on their own, but he still uses an Evoker sometimes as an extra "push" to make him stronger.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The spy catsuit with mink coat I get, but why does Akihiko decide to dress up like Tetsuo from Akira?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

axleblaze posted:

it's been a year they learned to control their persona without one. Also a dog did it

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

The spy catsuit with mink coat I get, but why does Akihiko decide to dress up like Tetsuo from Akira?

Let's be honest here. Akihiko only really cares about two things: eating meat and punching poo poo. We should feel relieved that he's even remembered to put on pants.

(Also, I like how even in Arcade mode, he gets called out on how he's dressed, especially by Rise at the end.)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

it's been a year they learned to control their persona without one. Also a dog did it

The dog had his evoker built into his collar. Persona y'all.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

axleblaze posted:

This is actually brought up in Story Mode. The TV World allows them to summon their Persona without using their Evoker, they just have to invoke it basically.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Once they got good at using Personas the Evoker was probably just a crutch for them, anyway. Takaya didn't need one!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Yeah, even in P3 the evoker was really just a mental crutch/way to get cheap faux symbolism.

anyway less fanwank stuff and more :smith:, enjoy this

quote:

[13:34] <@MrWizard> more i play persona

[13:34] <@MrWizard> more its not a good game
[13:34] <@MrWizard> lol

[13:37] <@MrWizard> how about no push block or some mechanic other than burst
[13:37] <@MrWizard> to get people off of you

[13:38] <@MrWizard> how about ultras

[13:38] <@MrWizard> how about cheap rear end unblockable moves
[13:38] <@MrWizard> how about weeaboo central
[13:38] <@MrWizard> game is garbagola!
[13:48] <@MrWizard> love having to block for 10 sec

[13:48] <@MrWizard> and cant do anything about it!
[13:48] <@MrWizard> great game!

[13:50] <@MrWizard> love midstrings and they juwst go overhead
[13:51] <@MrWizard> such a good game!

[13:56] <@MrWizard> im fine with blocking
[13:56] <@MrWizard> but when they are on me
[13:56] <@MrWizard> and go to a 2 frame overhead
[13:56] <@MrWizard> its a bad game

17:28 MrWizard its easy mode
17:28 MrWizard its got comeback ultras
17:28 MrWizard unblockable s***
17:29 L-Knight its easy mode, but youre dying to mythical 2f overheads?
17:29 MrWizard who said im dying?
17:29 MrWizard stop putting words in my mouth
17:29 MrWizard k thx you re****
17:29 L-Knight youre saying stuff that doesnt make sense
17:29 L-Knight about a system you dont understand
17:29 L-Knight you sound hella dumb tbh
17:30 *** DaFeetLee joined #capcom
17:30 --- MrWizard has banned *!*lk@************.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net
17:30 *** L-Knight was kicked by MrWizard (tell me how my **** tastes)

[08:38:03] (@MrWizard) yeah p4a is fun
[08:38:07] (@MrWizard) just not good =(

[08:39:09] (YayaJason) In all seriousness though, are you honestly banning somebody like LK over something so trivial?
[08:39:17] (YayaJason) Not telling you how to do your job, but jeeze
[08:39:33] •• Channel Mode(s): MrWizard sets mode(s) (+b *!*@**********)
[08:39:33] •• This [*!*@**********] ban affects: [YayaJason]
[08:39:39] •• Kick: YayaJason was kicked by MrWizard (LOL!)
[08:41:06] • Topic Change: MrWizard sets the topic to: RIP!

[08:41:41] (@MrWizard) now let me go back to spamming my unblockable supers
[08:41:44] (@MrWizard) with teddie

I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo what mr.wizard says anymore but :cmon:

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Mr Wizard is The Guy Who Runs (ran?) EVO, right?

If he uses all that as justification to deny P4A a main stage slot for 2013 I'm basically going to go and :arghfist::spergin: all over SRK.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's less about which games mr. wizard and the cannon brothers like and more about which games will attract enough entrants (make enough money) to include on the main stage. If there's still a contingent of hardcore persona heads by next summer then P4A will be at evo.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Chie's story mode ending is fantastic and I now demand a Chie/Akihiko team up movie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought P4A because I like Guilty Gear and I like Persona and if the game's competitive it's basically a bonus!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Chie's story mode ending is fantastic and I now demand a Chie/Akihiko team up movie.
That probably has my favorite quote (one of them anyway)

A true man is not bound by her sex!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

That probably has my favorite quote (one of them anyway)

A true man is not bound by her sex!

A man is only allowed to cry after he loses his wallet!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im "Immoral Discipline Daddy" and I just played "Young Children Enthusiast". I glad I won that one. Time for some Discipline, baby

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ImperialGuard posted:

Mr Wizard is The Guy Who Runs (ran?) EVO, right?

If he uses all that as justification to deny P4A a main stage slot for 2013 I'm basically going to go and :arghfist::spergin: all over SRK.

Iirc he hated 3rd Strike and that made it to Evo just fine. Also theres the whole SFxT thing. You dont have to worry about his personal feelings deciding whats on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Iirc he hated 3rd Strike and that made it to Evo just fine. Also theres the whole SFxT thing. You dont have to worry about his personal feelings deciding whats on stage.

And then there was Evo 2k4 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play on XX instead of #R" and 2k5 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play #R instead of Slash" and 2k7 where he and Chris Lee basically said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, no more GG at Evo because Marn is a scumbag"

Wait, no. My bad. The #R instead of Slash thing didn't happen. The rest did, though.

Hyun. fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 13, 2012

• Locked thread