Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I'm also shocked Arino owns an X-Box. I'm dieing of curiosity to know what games he plays on it.

It could be his wife's!

Arino is just so ridiculously likable. I'm glad he found someone perfect for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zari-gani posted:

In one part of the episode, the hosts blindfolded everyone and made them all smell a sweater, which Arino was able to correctly identify as his wife's.

thats uhh wow

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I'm also shocked Arino owns an X-Box. I'm dieing of curiosity to know what games he plays on it.
Did he get to keep Tekki (Steel Balaton) and its ridiculous controller after that season 1 Capcom episode? That alone would be reason enough to get an Xbox if he hadn't had one already.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Just to expound on things; Arino got married during the Famicom Jump challenge. When he came in to continue the challenge they handed him Tokimeki Memorial instead.

That's really sweet that Arino found a perfect match for himself. Now I'm hoping that they've gone out in public dressed as a pair of characters from 1980's anime...

Edit: I think Toujima's is the only wedding that's been shown on the series. Urakawa got married during season 10, Abe was married when the show started, Nakayama has had a series of girlfriends, and we know that Inoko MAX can find no love (or at least hadn't as of season 13). I'm not sure if anyone else's marital status has come up on the show.

Tokimeki Memorial is one of my favorite episode. I just loved when the AD handed him the strategy guide in order to get the "best girl" Arino just went, "Strategy guide? Don't need them :smug: " And he was right.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
I like to think if Arino ran for public office, this would be the final image in one of the attack ads against him:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Just to expound on things; Arino got married during the Famicom Jump challenge. When he came in to continue the challenge they handed him Tokimeki Memorial instead.

That's really sweet that Arino found a perfect match for himself. Now I'm hoping that they've gone out in public dressed as a pair of characters from 1980's anime...

Isn't it obvious?

Metal Wolf Chaos.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't it obvious?

Metal Wolf Chaos.

This guy knows what's up.

I just finished up my work for the week so I'm going to kick back and watch all these GCCX episodes I've downloaded. Thanks again for your hard work!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Doc Hawkins posted:

thats uhh wow

A lot of people can do this. Especially if you've known someone for a long time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It probably just had the scent of her favorite perfume or something.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It probably just had the scent of her favorite perfume or something.

Except they don't really wear perfume in Japan. :tinfoil:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
People have identifiable scents, and schnozes are fairly accurate. Take a book off a shelf of books no one's touched in a month and thumb through it, then put it back and dust them all... it wouldn't be hard to tell which book you handled from scent alone. It's not that weird to be able to identify a scent, especially when it's the scent that you could be reasonably expected to guess on a variety show, which narrows it down a bit.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Hirayuki posted:

Except they don't really wear perfume in Japan. :tinfoil:

Not the first trend she'd be bucking here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

People have identifiable scents, and schnozes are fairly accurate. Take a book off a shelf of books no one's touched in a month and thumb through it, then put it back and dust them all... it wouldn't be hard to tell which book you handled from scent alone. It's not that weird to be able to identify a scent, especially when it's the scent that you could be reasonably expected to guess on a variety show, which narrows it down a bit.

Well now I feel bad, my nose is terrible, I guess. I can smell my brother from a mile away, but that's another, more unfortunate story.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
A lot of perception is perception, appropriately enough. You don't expect to get much in the way of useful information from your nose, so you ignore it. Experiment a little, you may be surprised with what you can do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Not the first trend she'd be bucking here.
It's less of a trend and more of a cultural taboo (F3 "perfume"). But yes, she may be just that wild and crazy (also possibly cheap).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Hirayuki posted:

It's less of a trend and more of a cultural taboo (F3 "perfume"). But yes, she may be just that wild and crazy (also possibly cheap).

There was no mention of a perfume smell at all when everyone sniffed it. Incidentally there were like two other guys who thought it might be their wife's clothing.

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: I think Toujima's is the only wedding that's been shown on the series. Urakawa got married during season 10, Abe was married when the show started, Nakayama has had a series of girlfriends, and we know that Inoko MAX can find no love (or at least hadn't as of season 13). I'm not sure if anyone else's marital status has come up on the show.

Sasano is married but I can't remember if he was single at any point during the show. He also has two kids I think?

In an GCCX Book 5 interview Arino says Inoue moved out of his apartment after Shocking Videos Max to live with his girlfriend -- whom he later broke up with. She dumped him and left shortly after he returned from the US trip, apparently.

Rough translation of that part:

ARINO: "It happened soon after we returned from America so I thought 'maybe it was my fault.' On the final night of the US trip, we were all drinking at our hotel. To liven things up I said 'Inoue, phone your girlfriend and tell her you love her!' All of a sudden, sound guy Fukawa put a lapel mic on him and we all grinned as we listened to Inoue and his girlfriend's phone conversation. I thought, 'Maybe that's the reason why.'"

AP ISHIDA: "The phone call from America actually improved the relationship. Things went downhill later, Inoue said."

ARINO: "Oh really. Then whatever! (laughs)"

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 12, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Did you use warps to get here?"

"Yes."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

You really need to ask this?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Sasano had a kid according to Kibe's comic, and Kibe himself would seem to be a confirmed bachelor if the thread's collective gaydar is functioning.

Touji crying during his wedding was one of the most adorable things I've seen :unsmith:

zari-gani posted:

Here's some trivia if your SO is so curious: Arino and his wife are notoriously lovey-dovey in the entertainment world. In fact, he appeared on an episode of Ametalk called "Comedians Who Treasure Their Wives" (you can see the raw here) along with a bunch of other loving comedians.

Please tell me Shozo Endo was also on that show.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 12, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Corridor posted:

Please tell me Shozo Endo was also on that show.

Only in opposite land.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd love to see him do Karnov, I adored that game as a kid

My other big favorite was Rygar... that music, that sun! The PS2 remake kinda broke my heart, it had some beautiful backdrops, but the game was meh, and it killed any hope of a real rebirth.

edit: He's never tackled Wizards & Warriors or Iron Sword has he? Don't see it in the OP list. Another on my list of 'probably horrible but have fond memories' list. And Faxanadu... you know, I'm not prone to nostalgia gaming at all, wonder why I'm remembering all these now. I blame it on his SMW playthrough.

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

edit: He's never tackled Wizards & Warriors or Iron Sword has he? Don't see it in the OP list. Another on my list of 'probably horrible but have fond memories' list.

Well they don't do too many American games. Fabio Side Scroller was Rare, I think.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Well they don't do too many American games. Fabio Side Scroller was Rare, I think.

So that would be UK, not American.

But he did a Rare game last year. Maybe he's up for a second. Any of Wizards and Warriors series would be a good challenge for Arino; the right amount of crap and difficult progress but definitely beatable in the time frame.

Edit: Out of curiosity I checked and W&W1 was released in Japan but the other two weren't.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's true about the bullshit at least. I would like to see Arino being all "what" about getting blown away because he just can't hit that one single door, or having an equivalent reaction to one of those massive animals that give you stuff, or casting the food spell on the shopkeeper.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

After seeing his Twitter ID in this thread I decided to tweet Arino with a random "Dude, you rock!"

He actually replied! I don't know why but this made me very happy:

quote:

有野△。 ‏@arimorokoshi415
Yes!アイハブ!“@lynch_69: @arimorokoshi415 Dude, you rock!”

Does anyone know what the Japanese word in his tweet means? Google translate is no help. From watching the show I know Arino can read English characters; does he also speak English? It didn't seem like it in the LA special.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

lynch_69 posted:

After seeing his Twitter ID in this thread I decided to tweet Arino with a random "Dude, you rock!"

Does anyone know what the Japanese word in his tweet means? Google translate is no help. From watching the show I know Arino can read English characters; does he also speak English? It didn't seem like it in the LA special.

"Yes! I have!"

No, he is not good at English at all.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

lynch_69 posted:

A couple of famous Japanese people I follow on twitter tend to reply to every tweet they get, regardless of how inane they are

Hideki Kamiya's (Bayonetta, DMC creator) twitter is pretty fun for this sometimes
http://twitter.com/PG_kamiya

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

zari-gani posted:

"Yes! I have!"

No, he is not good at English at all.

Thanks! And great work with the translations, btw.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

No episode today but I wanted to continue the Arino playing Mario theme with something different.

This video is in Japanese and there's no chance of it getting translated so I've only made it available for download:

http://depositfiles.com/files/3so1odmwo

This is Arino's appearance on the television show Manager. On it you will see a gaggle of Japanese girls compete in a Mario Brothers tournament against each other as Arino presides over them. At the end of the episode Arino takes on the winner.

Arino is not the only Japanese comedian to play Mario games...

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Doc Hawkins posted:

thats uhh wow

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Oh man they used giorgio moroders 'the fight' from over the top during the montage for the last ep! Love that track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu8o3uj9oQ8

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

By Japanese TV standards GCCX seems utterly restrained.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
I just finished watching the SMW episodes, I thought they were great and enjoyed them more than I thought I would from some of the reactions in this thread, and I just have a few things to say.

1. During the last episode, I was shouting along with the staff, the tension was pretty intense on that one (Yes, I was even shouting "Go under!"). I had to stop folding laundry because I kept jumping up and moving around.

2. Arino, find the damned switch palaces!

3. Come on Kaayan, get your poo poo together! If it wasn't so funny, it would have been a huge letdown after all the time of trying to get a hold of you.

Overall, this set of 4 episodes released were solid and very enjoyable.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Does the translation group have a twitter or something I can follow to know when episodes are released? If not you should think about setting one up. I like to keep up to date on these but I keep forgetting to check the thread.

It's so great to see a Japanese show that doesn't fall in to all the stupid stereotypes. Same goes for the translations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There's a facebook page if that's your thing.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

There's also a thread. (You're posting in it)

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

There's also a thread. (You're posting in it)

Like I said, it's hard to remember to check the thread. New tweets pop up in the corner of my screen no matter what I'm doing.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
i'm melting in this beautiful mario-flavored deluge. Phoenix was really good also!! The block-destroying mechanic was really cool for an NES game. Thanks as always for your kickin' rad work, SAGCCX Team!! You are my favorites.

also, man, I'm a little starstruck..!! I tweeted at Arino in Japanese telling him I'm gonna be studying abroad for a year in Japan starting next month and that it'd be cool if I got to meet him at a fan event while I'm there (as unlikely as that may be, since... LOTTERY), and he actually responded saying that would be neat and to focus on doing my best with my studies~~ WHAT A GOOD ROLE MODEL, THAT GUY. Stay in school, kids.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'm slow so I just watched the Doki Doki Panic episode.

So I vaguely know that DDP was the original Japanese version of Mario 2 and the characters were reskinned into Mario series one, but I'm surprised to see that Shyguys and Birdo were in the original game.

Did they just enter the official Mario canon out of the laziness of not changing the enemies? Normally when this sort of reskins happen it's usually set in some kind of non-continuity. Feels kind of odd considering how associated the Shyguys are with Mario now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Would you waste a character as great as Birdo on a single game? I think not!