Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GrAviTy84 posted:

My parents' costco owns.

that owns.

You know the old saying that it's not a good party until somebody almost dies? I was that guy last night. Dont be that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am sure that even Wiggles would be tempted by that good eatin'.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

I am sure that even Wiggles would be tempted by that good eatin'.

He'd just go out and club a goat in the back 40.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what was the average weight of those things?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

By the way it looks, I'd guess 60-70 pounds

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

He'd just go out and club a goat in the back 40.
Is that a euphemism?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Edit: Gah! Wrong sub forum.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

that owns.

You know the old saying that it's not a good party until somebody almost dies? I was that guy last night. Dont be that guy.

Go on.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Seconding that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Got a new camera, went and ate tacos.

rajas

huitlacoche

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

don't drink all day then go diving head first into dark water. I walked out and then went to work last night, but that is how people get dead. Landed where my neck meets my shoulders in blessedly soft mud abd now i live on 600mg ibuphrophen and ice packs. Changed the mood of the party, but the next day was all nervous giggles and gin, so

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 12, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So.... was there a rock, or was it knee deep?

Were there any injuries?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

So.... was there a rock, or was it knee deep?

Were there any injuries?
shame is an injury, right? And the serious soreness I am rocking but if it had been anything but mud I would not be posting right now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

shame is an injury, right? And the serious soreness I am rocking but if it had been anything but mud I would not be posting right now.
You are one stupid, lucky motherfucker.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You never really know if your friends really like you until you decide to take a nap on some train tracks and they decide to carry you home rather that just rolling you down off the track bed and leaving you.

Don't do this either.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
"Chef" Aaron Sanchez just said a plaintain is "nothing like a banana. Its a root vegetable "

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phummus posted:

"Chef" Aaron Sanchez just said a plaintain is "nothing like a banana. Its a root vegetable "

:stare:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Phummus posted:

I suddenly miss the Food Network hate thread.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Phummus posted:

Ouch. I don't know Aaron Sanchez by name, but I really hope he's a french chef or something. I've ran into plaintains once. Once. Since I left the northeast, and they were more brown than yellow, much less green. I need me some mofungo y tostones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

To be fair, he probably meant to say something to the effect of: "In practice, they are used in a manner more similar to root vegetables"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

To be fair, he probably meant to say something to the effect of: "In practice, they are used in a manner more similar to root vegetables"

That's what I was about to say really. Plantain is used really different than bananas really so I can see where he was coming from. Although I've not used it much a green plantain is much more similar to say sweet potato than a banana.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N,
I was having a discussion today with a guy in a management position, and he was asking for advice.

He obviously had made his mind up on doing something that was plain wrong, and when I pointed that out he kept iterating the same cretin argument, he had paid attention in management classroom training, because he kept trying to change the format of his explanation, using similitude to other cases and even tried to do a story telling through metaphors..

I was waiting for him to try and explain it through interpretive dance, but lost patience.

I killed the discussion with telling him that 'You have obviously decided that you want my advice on what lubricant to use when inserting an object of elephantine proportion in your rectum, and expect me to give you the brand name of a good waterbased lubricant. Since I have never had a sphincter stretched to the extend you're describing, I wouldn't be able to assist you with any kind of experience.'

The British can be so goddamn sensitive!

I even tried to talk all posh..

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Dear E/N,
I was having a discussion today with a guy in a management position, and he was asking for advice.

He obviously had made his mind up on doing something that was plain wrong, and when I pointed that out he kept iterating the same cretin argument, he had paid attention in management classroom training, because he kept trying to change the format of his explanation, using similitude to other cases and even tried to do a story telling through metaphors..

I was waiting for him to try and explain it through interpretive dance, but lost patience.

I killed the discussion with telling him that 'You have obviously decided that you want my advice on what lubricant to use when inserting an object of elephantine proportion in your rectum, and expect me to give you the brand name of a good waterbased lubricant. Since I have never had a sphincter stretched to the extend you're describing, I wouldn't be able to assist you with any kind of experience.'

The British can be so goddamn sensitive!

I even tried to talk all posh..
He should have asked me. I'm actually the goatse dude.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I had banh mi for the first time today.

It was okay I guess? People seemed to really like it but ehhh. Maybe the place I went to wasn't very good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Semisponge posted:

It was okay I guess? People seemed to really like it but ehhh. Maybe the place I went to wasn't very good.
It was exciting back in the day when it was a lot of peoples' first exposure to southeast Asian cuisine (this is more true in NYC). It really is just fish sauce/lime juice/sugar/salt/chili sauce w/ crunch and funky cold cuts on a baguette. We lived in a lime juice starved era back in the late '90s...

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Semisponge posted:

I love bahn mi for its cheapness and speed akin to fast food joints. Try some other places. First time I had it was meh, but then I found a spot I love and cannot resist it. Might also be the fact that it has a drive-thru...

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Vietnamese is weirdly uncommon around here. There's literally six Thai places within a mile of my house, but there just aren't that many Vietnamese restaurants around here, and I've only found one place so far that serves banh mi instead of being a sit-down place.

I had a short ribs sandwich and it was just overpowered by sweet soy. Like, I couldn't even taste the kimchee in it. I tried someone else's pulled pork sandwich and it had a really grainy texture that I didn't like, though it tasted all right.

:shrug:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you had bahn mi and weren't over the moon, it's probably the place. I've had plenty of mediocre bahn mi, where the bread to filling ratios were all off, or the thing was too dry, or not spicy enough, or the meat was probably rancid, or blah blah.

just find the right meat / restaurant combo, and you'll be in heaven. for me it's a 'combination' one at this place that has particularly airy and chewy bread. the meatloaf or sopping wet reddish whatever the hell it is meat product they put on it mixes with their aioli just right, and they load it up with jalapenos so it's like a crisp juicy spicy vessel of the gods.

to contrast, the place I last had one had stale bread, meat that was completely unseasoned, no jalapenos, no mayo/aioli, and it literally made my mouth hurt trying to eat it. ugh.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I tried to eat the leftover half of sandwich but it's indedible.

Look at that! It's black with sweet soy sauce! It's like biting into a sugar ball! You can't taste anything else!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Semisponge posted:

Look at that! It's black with sweet soy sauce! It's like biting into a sugar ball! You can't taste anything else!

That's not banh mi that's a mysterious mass of brown.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Semisponge posted:

You're not even supposed to put soy sauce on a banh mi. That is no banh mi. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Semisponge posted:

Holy poo poo that looks gross. Look for places that have and attached (or are attached to) a bakery. Fresh bread counts for a lot in these little sandwiches. The traditional style with pate and head cheese is not for everyone, but generally the grilled chicken/pork options are awesome.

drat that is some dark rear end meat :ohdear:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

if you had bahn mi and weren't over the moon, it's probably the place. I've had plenty of mediocre bahn mi, where the bread to filling ratios were all off, or the thing was too dry, or not spicy enough, or the meat was probably rancid, or blah blah.

just find the right meat / restaurant combo, and you'll be in heaven. for me it's a 'combination' one at this place that has particularly airy and chewy bread. the meatloaf or sopping wet reddish whatever the hell it is meat product they put on it mixes with their aioli just right, and they load it up with jalapenos so it's like a crisp juicy spicy vessel of the gods.

to contrast, the place I last had one had stale bread, meat that was completely unseasoned, no jalapenos, no mayo/aioli, and it literally made my mouth hurt trying to eat it. ugh.

This. The Vietnamese strip mall I go to has 3-5 different delis and the quality range for more or less the same sandwich is remarkable. I like the meatball/pate ones the best and the meat quality makes such a huge difference.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Semisponge posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

jesus christ I don't know what that is, but please find a different place.

I snapped a couple pics of my fav place a year or two back, I dug them out just for you.

note the highly compressible, fresh chewy thick-cum-thin-walled bread with appropriate filling to bread ratio

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 14, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh man, I love a good bahn mi. It's all in the bread, imo.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

jesus christ I don't know what that is, but please find a different place.

I snapped a couple pics of my fav place a year or two back, I dug them out just for you.

note the highly compressible, fresh chewy thick-cum-thin-walled bread with appropriate filling to bread ratio

That place is so good. I was out there a few weeks ago.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Semisponge posted:

I had a short ribs sandwich and it was just overpowered by sweet soy. Like, I couldn't even taste the kimchee in it. I tried someone else's pulled pork sandwich and it had a really grainy texture that I didn't like, though it tasted all right.

That sounds a lot more like "sandwiches inspired by bahn mi" than actual authentic, basic bahn mi. BBQ (chargrilled) pork, and maybe beef, pork cold cuts, sardines, shredded chicken, meatballs, and pate are good signs.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

That place is so good. I was out there a few weeks ago.

highfive quoc huong buddies

I just ate some pho yesterday but might have to drive up and get a bahn mi today. drat you all.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Where is that? I totally want a banh mi now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

mindphlux posted:

Delicious looking bahn mi.

That is what I am talking about! I could eat two of those bad boys right now. Best part of bahn mi: most of the time they are like $3.