Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Gavok posted:

How has it taken two days for anyone to post anything from Spider-Men #4 here?

I know next to nothing about the Ultimate universe, so what's the deal with Hipster Mary Jane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
She's a teenager? How would you expect her to dress?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jetfire posted:

I know next to nothing about the Ultimate universe, so what's the deal with Hipster Mary Jane?

She's like 16-17, not the 20-something supermodel of 616.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, that's pretty much what you would expect a teenage blogger/journalist to look like

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Ah, makes sense I guess. I've only ever read the first volume and that was from...2000? Yeesh. I'm going to assume half that wardrobe hadn't been invented yet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Opopanax posted:

That's a fair point, but I'd say the crap was more prevalent and mainstream then.

The entirety of DC begs to differ.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetfire posted:

Ah, makes sense I guess. I've only ever read the first volume and that was from...2000? Yeesh. I'm going to assume half that wardrobe hadn't been invented yet.

Yea, Ultimate is basically 'classic' Spider-Man, everyone's a high school student and all.

I really loved the Spider-Men stuff, I was worried it would suck because it's super easy to gently caress that up, but the writing perfectly fit Peter's awkward but altruistic nature. His interactions with Gwen were amazing too, but yea the end with May really was a well done payoff.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have no idea what issue its in, but can someone post the issue of ASM where May breaks free of Mister Negative's influence? She gets infected by him and starts generally acting like a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone in her life. Then Peter comes to her needing emotional support and her love for her nephew purges the bad mojo. It's like the May Parker equivalent to "Captain America breaks free of psychic control by being hard as nails." She's just been written as such a good person sometimes, it's really wonderful. If I had them, I'd post practically all of ASM 400, and whatever JMS issue where she and Peter have "The Talk" too.

Of course, in retrospect, the Negative May thing may have been drawn by Camuncoli, which would really gently caress up whatever drama was in the writing.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 12, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is touching and inspiring to me because Joe Kubert died today:

If you really wanted to include all the characters he worked on that panel would be substantially larger. A class act, and a great talent.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

This reply isn't directed at you specifically, it's just a convenient quote to respond from.

My parents delivered every comic I bought from my comic collecting youth last week. I got into comics in '91 and I got out in '93. It is three long boxes of 100% of what's described in Dark Age.

"Well, you just had lovely taste!"

Yes. I was 12 - 14 years old. I was also the center of the bullseye for all comics marketing! All the industry told me about were X-Men, crossovers, deaths, #1s, and swimsuit issues. Obviously, good comics were made then. No one is disputing that! Alan Moore's Supreme is just the tip of that excellent iceberg!

But don't pretend it's a case of "cherry picking" to point out that the majority of corporate output in those days was hilariously desperate poo poo to cash in on the speculation and xtreme bubbles. DC's strategy was literally to do anything to get big buzz in Wizard Magazine. Think about that for a minute.

I would love to have lived through the '90s comics renaissance some of you guys imagine to have existed. It sounds great.

New Warriors v1, and Morrison's JLA,

Slightly more seriously, the first time through I didn't catch that that story was supposed to be a narrow criticism of the 90s 'Dark Ages', and more a criticism of all comics post-Crisis or so through to today. Which is a small step from "All comics today suck, except this one!", which wasn't the intent.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

If you really wanted to include all the characters he worked on that panel would be substantially larger. A class act, and a great talent.

Wait, what the gently caress? I just saw him a few months ago and he was pretty lively.
drat, my dad is gonna be pretty depressed tomorrow. Joe and Jack Kirby were his two idols.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahhh man, what a way to find out - thanks for the lovely image though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scaramouche posted:

I had no idea he died :smith:

I never got a chance to meet him but friends who have said he was nothing but a pleasure who was still super pumped to talk about comics.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That he was. He and Al Jaffee have been two of the kindest and nicest guys I've met at conventions in my life, and just telling them how much you loved their stuff while growing up made them light up like a lamp.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've met Sergio Aragonés a few times and he's the same way. I hope this new generation of comic guys know the standards they have to live up to.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Boxman posted:

I have no idea what issue its in, but can someone post the issue of ASM where May breaks free of Mister Negative's influence? She gets infected by him and starts generally acting like a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone in her life. Then Peter comes to her needing emotional support and her love for her nephew purges the bad mojo. It's like the May Parker equivalent to "Captain America breaks free of psychic control by being hard as nails." She's just been written as such a good person sometimes, it's really wonderful. If I had them, I'd post practically all of ASM 400, and whatever JMS issue where she and Peter have "The Talk" too.

Of course, in retrospect, the Negative May thing may have been drawn by Camuncoli, which would really gently caress up whatever drama was in the writing.

It was Amazing Spider-Man 633, just at the end of Peter trying to cope with the fact that The Lizard had killed Billy Connors. Words by Zeb Wells, art by Emma Rios. So here's everyone's weekly reminder that Shed is a really, really great arc.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Context: Aunt May is possessed by Mr. Negative's negative powers or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
You know, because it's not like Waterhaul quoted who those panels were in response to or anything.

Nope, just some panels out of nowhere.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

More contributing:

Daredevil #17

The majority of the issue takes place in flashback as Matt remembers a previous time when himself and Foggy were on the verge of going their separate ways. Foggy has been keeping secrets from Matt and in particular has taken on a case on the side and has a video tape which he will not let Matt know what is on it. Matt eventually confronts him and Foggy reveals all.

So if you aren't reading Daredevil you should be :argh:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

More contributing:

Daredevil #17

The majority of the issue takes place in flashback as Matt remembers a previous time when himself and Foggy were on the verge of going their separate ways. Foggy has been keeping secrets from Matt and in particular has taken on a case on the side and has a video tape which he will not let Matt know what is on it. Matt eventually confronts him and Foggy reveals all.

So if you aren't reading Daredevil you should be :argh:

I don't think I'll ever be happy that we have a revolving door of artists on Daredevil, but I'll be damned if I'm not continuously impressed with the book regardless. This scene was spectacular.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

bairfanx posted:

I don't think I'll ever be happy that we have a revolving door of artists on Daredevil, but I'll be damned if I'm not continuously impressed with the book regardless. This scene was spectacular.

I think Samnee is the current regular and doesn't intend to leave the book. Rivera is just doing covers now and Allred did a single issue because he mentioned he wanted to and Marvel said, "Hell yes."

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Kaleidoscope posted:

I think Samnee is the current regular and doesn't intend to leave the book. Rivera is just doing covers now and Allred did a single issue because he mentioned he wanted to and Marvel said, "Hell yes."

This is good news. I didn't know Samnee could churn out pages as quickly as Marvel wants him to, but I'll be glad if it's true. :unsmith:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Journey Into Mystery #642

Background:
Since his death and reincarnation, the new kid Loki has decided he wants to be his own person, rather than follow in the footsteps of his prior self. To this end, he has tried to be a hero like his (now) big brother Thor, though ultimately in a 'Loki' way. Being young and also Loki, he often fails to consider the potential consequences of his plans, which have been slowly building up around him. Most recently, when sent to end a civil war in Otherworld, Britain's mystical land, between the old Arthurian mythology and the new mechanical Gods of Manchester, Loki chose to side with the Manchester Gods, both to stop the death the war was causing and because he believed their purpose of reforming the politics of Otherworld to be in the right. Unfortunately, the technology used by the Manchester Gods turned out to be provided and created by a (Loki-freed) Surtur, who has now given it to Vanaheim in order to cause a civil war between the Aesir and Vanir. Following the first skirmish of this war, Loki comes clean to Thor about everything he's been up to since Fear Itself...

I just loved this because it's so great to see Loki and Thor have a real moment as brothers. I honestly started tearing up a bit while reading it. The ending of this issue is great for similar reasons, and I'm excited for the rest of this series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RandallODim posted:

I just loved this because it's so great to see Loki and Thor have a real moment as brothers. I honestly started tearing up a bit while reading it. The ending of this issue is great for similar reasons, and I'm excited for the rest of this series.

Completely agree. A lot of it has to do with Loki's tragic attempts to be a better person and do good, but knowing that he'll never be trusted no matter what he does, especially because he's done some shady stuff for the greater good. The only person who trusts him (other than Volstagg to a degree) is his brother and it must be torture for Loki to come clean and be judged by him. Thor's heartfelt reaction to seeing this vulnerability is one of those moments that makes him him.

I'm wondering if pre-Siege Loki mostly kamikaze'd for the sake of going back to the era in his life when he was truly happy and doing it right this time.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gavok posted:

Completely agree. A lot of it has to do with Loki's tragic attempts to be a better person and do good, but knowing that he'll never be trusted no matter what he does, especially because he's done some shady stuff for the greater good. The only person who trusts him (other than Volstagg to a degree) is his brother and it must be torture for Loki to come clean and be judged by him.

I thought the other heartbreaking part of this issue was Volstagg being the one to get the tablet PC with the footage of Loki freeing Surtur (I'm assuming that was Mephisto's doing) and seeing Loki lose one of the two people who did trust him.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Scaramouche posted:

I love that Batman is also smiling.

That picture should be part of the man's cenotaph, if not his actual marker.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Scaramouche posted:

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but get the "wrong" reaction from this. Don't misunderstand me. This is an amazing piece of art and I think in general it shows a lot of love between artist and creation. And I get that, I really do.

But to me, it appears as though the man worked himself to death, died slumped over his drawing table, while the DC Universe looks on smugly. Maybe I'm just a bad person.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I see an artist who loved doing what he did, falling asleep after another day of tirelessing giving life to so many great characters, who all look at him proudly as he rests on for another day that will bring new stories.

You can see exploitation in anything if your mind is set in finding it; it's a dog eat dog world as some say. However, I don't think (nor do I want to) that this is one of those cases.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

I loved it too. Even the last part, with the "We will make it right" makes me think of a parent telling their kid not to worry about the bullies, we'll have a talk with their mother.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Journey Into Mystery #642

Background:
Since his death and reincarnation, the new kid Loki has decided he wants to be his own person, rather than follow in the footsteps of his prior self. To this end, he has tried to be a hero like his (now) big brother Thor, though ultimately in a 'Loki' way. Being young and also Loki, he often fails to consider the potential consequences of his plans, which have been slowly building up around him. Most recently, when sent to end a civil war in Otherworld, Britain's mystical land, between the old Arthurian mythology and the new mechanical Gods of Manchester, Loki chose to side with the Manchester Gods, both to stop the death the war was causing and because he believed their purpose of reforming the politics of Otherworld to be in the right. Unfortunately, the technology used by the Manchester Gods turned out to be provided and created by a (Loki-freed) Surtur, who has now given it to Vanaheim in order to cause a civil war between the Aesir and Vanir. Following the first skirmish of this war, Loki comes clean to Thor about everything he's been up to since Fear Itself...

One of Thor's greatest weaknesses has been his love for his brother, despite all odds. Now, I have to say, it's one of his greatest strengths. Kid Loki's trying so hard, and he needs someone in his corner.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Stargazing Dog

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Demo Volume 1 #2

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Len posted:

Demo Volume 1 #2

What... what happened here, in this ruin where a person once dwelt?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Stargazing Dog

Oh God, gently caress you for posting that :gonk:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Stargazing Dog

Everyone should hug their dog after reading this.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Stargazing Dog

drat it, this almost feels like cheating what with the dead dog and all. :smith:

Here's more in the same vein: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlAmKsmLav8

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 13, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What... what happened here, in this ruin where a person once dwelt?

It doesn't say. But my guess is girl with the ability to make people do things gets angry at mom and in a fit of teen rage says something she regrets. I guess it's probably because I said a lot of things to my mom as a teenager I regret saying that it hits me like it does.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I'm not sure if this page belongs here, but it hasn't been posted yet and is far and away the most powerful comic book moment I've ever read. This is the only page that has ever caused me to physically set a book down and collect myself because I was wiping tears out of my eyes and was so goddamn angry that I didn't know what else to do. That moment was the death of Hollis Mason, the original Nite Owl from the original "Watchmen":

To watch a genuinely good man get beaten to death by ignorant degenerates just because he used to be "that Nite Owl guy," yet had nothing to do with the apartment fire that set them off in the first place absolutely infuriated me. It was so heartbreaking but also so true to life that it was the defining moment of "Watchmen" for me. I was incredibly pissed when it didn't make the cut for the theatrical release of the movie. Thank god it found its way into the Director's Cut, but seriously I have no idea why this wasn't in the "official" film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJHIE8Na4s&t=20s

The ultimate message is that the world is full of ignorant and reactionary people and you don't want to be one of them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
You also get the sick irony of these kids exacting vigilante "justice" on someone because they think he's a vigilante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's also the way that the statuette his was awarded "In Gratitude" of all his public work becomes the object that kills him - and in the final panel his blood spatter on the statue makes it look like it reads "Ingratitude".

That first panel (the face of someone about to die) is a repeated image in Watchmen, and the thug's shadow leaves a Rorschach-style patterning on his face. Oh, and the falling/splattering jack-o-lantern is another repeated motif (the Nostalgia perfume ad, the snowglobe, Dreiberg's watch parts, etc.). The only thing the page is missing is a Hiroshima-lovers silhouette.

You can stare at any given page from Watchmen for about 10 minutes and still find new things. It's the Citizen Kane of comics.