Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

I don't know about dogs, but the obvious counterargument to me is that there are mute humans who can still comprehend language despite not being able to speak it.
Yes I would also like to read more about how beings who can't talk are unable to track an object and how Aussie aboriginals have compasses embedded in their brains.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This is actually extremely interesting. I remember reading about an experiment involving mute children who didn't yet know sign language. They were sat on a chair in a room filled with stuff. A toy/cookie/good thing was shown to the child being placed behind an object in the room. Children who could speak went straight for the object without trouble. But the mute children had to actually search. They couldn't store the information "behind the cardboard box" or "in the chest". The opposite version is with the Australian aboriginals. Their language doesn't have a concept of right or left, only four cardinal directions. As such their ability to navigate is almost unmatched, and they have an innate sense of direction.
:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

randyest posted:

Yes I would also like to read more about how beings who can't talk are unable to track an object and how Aussie aboriginals have compasses embedded in their brains.

:raise:

Probably a reference to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=3&_r=2&sq=Guy%20Deutscher&st=cse&scp=1

Not saying it's right, though.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm looking to buy a Blu-Ray player. Do they all play DVDs as well, or do only specific ones play both?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

User-Friendly posted:

I'm looking to buy a Blu-Ray player. Do they all play DVDs as well, or do only specific ones play both?

Only specific ones will, but it should say on the box. Nowadays most do, but there are some that don't so you should keep it in mind.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Xiahou Dun posted:

And we should all just forget about the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. poo poo be dumb.

Only linguists think Sapir-Whorf is not 'true'. Most other fields have done research that 'proves' it, to the degree that anything can be proved.

And it is the basis for most of European intellectual thought from the latter half of the 20th century onwards.

Linguists are very good at analyzing languages, but no so good at the underpinnings, it seems.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 12, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They say the Black Death helped free the peasant class from feudal oppression by reducing the labor force and thus giving the survivors more leverage to demand higher wages and better treatment. If the Black Death killed half of Britain's population, then the population would have simply been returned to levels a century or two earlier, when feudalism was strong. Obviously, there's more to the story than "it killed half the population". What other factors were at play? Perhaps the plague spared the gentry more, leading to a surplus of employers.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

They say the Black Death helped free the peasant class from feudal oppression by reducing the labor force and thus giving the survivors more leverage to demand higher wages and better treatment. If the Black Death killed half of Britain's population, then the population would have simply been returned to levels a century or two earlier, when feudalism was strong. Obviously, there's more to the story than "it killed half the population". What other factors were at play? Perhaps the plague spared the gentry more, leading to a surplus of employers.

I heard only the same thing you did--but it makes sense for an agrarian world where, no matter what you say about divine right, your power really comes from your land and resources. When there are only so many people left to work your land and tend your livestock, you find they can drive a hard bargain. After all, there was probably another wealthy land-owning dude down the road who has the same problem you did and was willing to take them up on that offer while your cattle wandered and your crops rotted. Put down the turkey leg and hooker and harvest your own crops, or give the jerks what they want? You can't eat gold.

It also makes sense that less hot shot landowners than laborers died, just by the sheer numbers of the latter who made up the base of the power pyramid--not to mention the tight, filthy living conditions of the laboring class. Entire villages vanished. I don't think the European population built back up to pre-plague figures until 1600.

I wonder how much a carton of berries or a head of lettuce would cost if America magicked away all the illegal laborers.

EDIT: I wish I knew the source for this, and would die of embarrassment if it were from SA, but I understand Eastern European landowners cracked down harder on the laborers, and the feudal thing lasted a lot longer there. If I find the source, I will edit to add it and any corrections I should make.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 12, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liebfraumilch posted:

I wonder how much a carton of berries or a head of lettuce would cost if America magicked away all the illegal laborers.
Pretty much the same as they cost now. Maybe ~4% more. Most people overestimate the cost of labor in food production. I think you also overestimate serf mobility in feudal eras but I'd like to read more about the evidence for the theories you posted.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

randyest posted:

Pretty much the same as they cost now. Maybe ~4% more. Most people overestimate the cost of labor in food production. I think you also overestimate serf mobility in feudal eras but I'd like to read more about the evidence for the theories you posted.

I'd like to read more about the evidence for my theories, too, but I'm feeling vulnerable after giving away three-quarters of my books before moving. I'm probably pulling from Marks' Origins of the Modern World, and Worlds Together, Worlds Apart which Google says is written by Robert Tignor, as well as from college lectures.

I do know that famine preceded plague, and during the plague peasants had seen exactly how fast nobles and clergy could run in the time of their constituents' greatest need, so afterwards when European powers went back to their favorite hobbies of war and squeezing the soul out of laborers, there was unrest and revolts. The shortage and rising demands of the surviving workforce must have been concerning enough for The Statute of Labourers to happen, though.

Not in any shape to debate current immigration issues, but I am still skeptical that any self-respecting hipster would get out of bed for minimum wage or less to work for Big Lettuce or slog through ten hour shifts in some unholy meat packing plant. Seriously don't want a derail, so if I'm retarded just notify me as an afterthought to a real post.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Base Emitter posted:

If only it were that simple.

There's lots of liberal olds (you know, those hippies you heard about from the 60s, among others) and lots of right-wing kids (the religious twits everybody ignores). Every generation thinks things are going to get freer and more progressive automatically. They don't. You have to work for it.

When I was in college, gay marriage was unthinkable, now its a legit topic of debate. But then again, we thought contraception was a done deal and abortion nearly so, and the far right has succeeded in bringing that debate back, and if anything women's rights in general seem shakier now than they did in the 70s and 80s. The civil liberties situation these days is worse, too.

Don't take progress, current or future, for granted.

To actually answer the question, patience and eternal vigilance. Things change slowly and take effort, but they can be changed.

Actually step outside the US and stay in the Western World, and most of that is not true.

As someone noted public education (versus the bizarre US practice of home schooling which inculcates in lack of social awareness) is the foundation for civic responsibility.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Liebfraumilch posted:

I heard only the same thing you did--but it makes sense for an agrarian world where, no matter what you say about divine right, your power really comes from your land and resources. When there are only so many people left to work your land and tend your livestock, you find they can drive a hard bargain. After all, there was probably another wealthy land-owning dude down the road who has the same problem you did and was willing to take them up on that offer while your cattle wandered and your crops rotted. Put down the turkey leg and hooker and harvest your own crops, or give the jerks what they want? You can't eat gold.

It also makes sense that less hot shot landowners than laborers died, just by the sheer numbers of the latter who made up the base of the power pyramid--not to mention the tight, filthy living conditions of the laboring class. Entire villages vanished. I don't think the European population built back up to pre-plague figures until 1600.

EDIT: I wish I knew the source for this, and would die of embarrassment if it were from SA, but I understand Eastern European landowners cracked down harder on the laborers, and the feudal thing lasted a lot longer there. If I find the source, I will edit to add it and any corrections I should make.
If this idea is correct - that more peasants than gentry died of the plague - then did the gentry benefit from the plague in any way? They formed a larger fraction of the population after the epidemic. Though they were still the minority, they grew in relation to the peasantry. Doesn't that sort of shift bring some benefits, all other things being equal?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 12, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Liebfraumilch posted:

Look up anything on the boyars. They were Russia's feudal lords and I read that they lasted as long as the 17th century.

One factor might be that the death toll varied considerably across Europe. In Poland, it killed very few people, and thus didn't cause as much of a shakeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequences_of_the_Black_Death#Europe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I used to have a thing installed that made links to YouTube videos show up as the name of the video instead of the URL, and if you clicked them the video just appeared on top of the current page so you could play it, close it, and go back to what you were doing.

I'm using Opera, but I remember it being available for Firefox and Chrome as well. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I could find it? My old HD died and I had to reinstall everything from scratch, and that's pretty much the only thing I haven't gotten back to working how it was before.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
Google-fu hasn't quite helped me find the info I'm looking for since most results are cheap-as-possible scenarios.

What quality/options are there for soundproofing in a rowhouse? Or even just a basement in a rowhouse? I'm hypothetically willing to spend a lot of money, enough to be relevant to the cost of a mortage to a hypothetical rowhouse itself.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I'm looking for an online service for easily collecting and distributing Fantasy Football entry fees and prizes. I found League Safe. Does anyone have experience with them? Anyone have other recommendations? I have limited experience with PayPal but would that be easier?

Lower fees is important.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Zewle posted:

Google-fu hasn't quite helped me find the info I'm looking for since most results are cheap-as-possible scenarios.

What quality/options are there for soundproofing in a rowhouse? Or even just a basement in a rowhouse? I'm hypothetically willing to spend a lot of money, enough to be relevant to the cost of a mortage to a hypothetical rowhouse itself.

You might want to ask in Musician's Lounge, there's quite a few guys with home studio setups there who would know. It depends on what you want to achieve as well. I've heard good things about eggshell cartons for example ;)

Baron Bifford posted:

If this idea is correct - that more peasants than gentry died of the plague - then did the gentry benefit from the plague in any way? They formed a larger fraction of the population after the epidemic. Though they were still the minority, they grew in relation to the peasantry. Doesn't that sort of shift bring some benefits, all other things being equal?

I'm no historian, but my guess is that no, the gentry wouldn't have benefited since they already had benefits out the wazoo totally out of proportion to their representation already. As consumers of labor they're the ones who would be squeezed by a tight labor market; you could argue that the ensuing labor rights that occurred were a 'market correction' if you want to get market theory.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I might be literally retarded. How do I get spotify premium on an iPhone 4gs? I cannot find an option anywhere.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kapalama posted:

Only linguists think Sapir-Whorf is not 'true'. Most other fields have done research that 'proves' it, to the degree that anything can be proved.

And it is the basis for most of European intellectual thought from the latter half of the 20th century onwards.

Linguists are very good at analyzing languages, but no so good at the underpinnings, it seems.

I've read a lot of these studies that "prove" it, and they are universally awful.

The other poo poo is just dumb and insulting broad statements of no relevance. What the gently caress does an "under-pinning" of language even mean in this context?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Robokomodo posted:

I might be literally retarded. How do I get spotify premium on an iPhone 4gs? I cannot find an option anywhere.

You just download regular spotify. When you log in, if you have premium the apps becomes premium.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've read a lot of these studies that "prove" it, and they are universally awful.

The other poo poo is just dumb and insulting broad statements of no relevance. What the gently caress does an "under-pinning" of language even mean in this context?

I especially like that he said "only [THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD KNOW THE MOST ABOUT THIS AND RESEARCH THIS THE MOST] believe it's false!"

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Scaramouche is probably onto something, and because I'm old and rusty and haven't been in a Chicago Manual of Style mood for eight years, I want to add a disclaimer that this is basically the gospel according to Liebfraumilch. I have Robert Marks Origins of the Modern World putting the world peasantry percentage between 80-90. That covers all the world, not just Europe, but 80-90% of the population being more or less the rural people at the bottom of the pyramid producing raw goods and food can take a strong hit from the plague and still vastly outnumber the elite, who weren't untouched by death, themselves.

If you check out the Statute of Labourers I posted upthread, it was basically several dainty kicks to the face of the peasantry for getting a little too uppity. Things were already looking bad for the ruling elite with their bullshit wars and the famines caused both by a Europe at the tippy-top of its biological ability to sustain a population and a ruthless extraction of taxes from the poor whether it would kill them or not, but after the plague, when the bullshit began to resume like all that had been just a hiccup, there were serious revolts. I don't think many were terribly successful, but success doesn't matter so much as the fact there was suddenly widespread collaboration and a will to kick back.

This wasn't my area of focus, so I can't pretend to know if the Caruso-worthy "gently caress Youuuuu" resonated for the following generations of laborers, but just around the time Europe would have been getting back to pre-plague population again and maybe a replay or breaking point, they had found a safety valve.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I said all thing being equal. Clearly, all not things were not equal. The market forces that resulted from the sudden shrinking of the labor market easily eclipsed whatever social benefits the nobility might have gained now that the peasants didn't outnumber them as heavily as before. But that doesn't mean the benefits weren't there.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 13, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Powered Descent posted:

Also requesting a link about this experiment. The obvious counterargument seems to be that dogs don't speak any language, and they have no problem remembering a location that way.

Unfortunately I can't find it, it could be an entirely fictitious thing I heard. If it pops up and the thread isn't still on this I'll PM you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I said all thing being equal. Clearly, all not things were not equal. The market forces that resulted from the sudden shrinking of the labor market easily eclipsed whatever social benefits the nobility might have gained now that the peasants didn't outnumber them as heavily as before. But that doesn't mean the benefits weren't there.

What did the gentry produce that might benefit from a higher percentage of the population? As far as I can see, they produced organization and a bit of war, which largely consisted of sending the peasants off to be killed. And having relatively more people to live off organization doesn't really mean that it gets any better, in fact, it means less tax income per nobleman.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

The ideas of Sapir-Whorf (not the 100 words for snow thing, but the 'one cannot talk about new ideas in, say, science, without inventing new words (and often new maths) for the new concepts') has been accepted without reservation, long before Sapir-Whorf was posited. It was accepted before Kuhn, even.

Most new mathematics were developed for just this reason, from Newton's calculus, to Langrange, to Lorentzian formalas, to tensors, to curls, to partial differential equations, to line integrals.

The list of new ideas in science is pretty much the list of new words (or new math) added to the language.

QED, for people thinking about mathematical science.

Linguist thinks Sapir-Whorf is nonsense is a given. It's part of what linguists are told to think.

People who are not linguists however think that language does shape, and constrain, thought. The elections in the US in the past 30 odd years have been pretty much dominated by this idea. The whole idea of political correctness is driven by this idea.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You just download regular spotify. When you log in, if you have premium the apps becomes premium.
let me rephrase. How do I upgrade from regular to premium?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Go to https://www.spotify.com login, change your sub.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kapalama posted:

The ideas of Sapir-Whorf (not the 100 words for snow thing, but the 'one cannot talk about new ideas in, say, science, without inventing new words (and often new maths) for the new concepts') has been accepted without reservation, long before Sapir-Whorf was posited. It was accepted before Kuhn, even.

Most new mathematics were developed for just this reason, from Newton's calculus, to Langrange, to Lorentzian formalas, to tensors, to curls, to partial differential equations, to line integrals.

The list of new ideas in science is pretty much the list of new words (or new math) added to the language.

QED, for people thinking about mathematical science.

Linguist thinks Sapir-Whorf is nonsense is a given. It's part of what linguists are told to think.

People who are not linguists however think that language does shape, and constrain, thought. The elections in the US in the past 30 odd years have been pretty much dominated by this idea. The whole idea of political correctness is driven by this idea.

That has nothing to do with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, or the idea of linguistic determinism : you've in fact given a counter argument. The strong formulation of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is based around language creating intractable hard-constraints on thought. The fact that we can come up with new words, indefinitely and at will, is excellent counter-evidence of the idea.

It has nothing to do with what you're talking about and you should really stop disparaging people for understanding what they're discussing. It's insulting and you just look like an idiot.

Go ask the linguistics thread. Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xiahou Dun posted:

Go ask the linguistics thread. Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, do this.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Has anyone booked a "Top Secret Hotel" with Travelocity? I have my search settings set to 4-5 star hotels with at least 3-star user ratings, and some of these rates (118$/night for a friday-saturday stay, as an example) are making me very wary in a "too good to be true" sense. This is all the info I can find about it on Travelocity

quote:

What is the big secret?
These rates are so low that our hotel partners do not want to put their names to them. So we can bring you these exclusive deals, we do not reveal the name of the hotel until you have booked.

What discount am I getting?
Any discount shown refers to the saving you will get by booking a Top Secret hotel compared to booking the same hotel in the usual way on our site.

When do I find out where I'm staying?
Do not worry, as soon as the booking has been made we will send you an email confirming all of your booking details including the name and address of the hotel you have reserved.

Am I compromising on quality?
Absolutely not. The room types on offer are no different to any of the others we sell on our site. Guests can expect the same great service as with any of our other hotel bookings.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ladyweapon posted:

Has anyone booked a "Top Secret Hotel" with Travelocity? I have my search settings set to 4-5 star hotels with at least 3-star user ratings, and some of these rates (118$/night for a friday-saturday stay, as an example) are making me very wary in a "too good to be true" sense. This is all the info I can find about it on Travelocity

I've done it; said it was a hotel in lower Manhattan, ended up being the World Center Hotel. A bit further away (but the difference is negligible) than anticipated and probably wouldn't have chosen it otherwise, but it was great and cheap as poo poo as a result. Zero complaints, would roll the dice again.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I wanna find a thread titled something like "I just kissed yo 12yo baby sistur" or something along those lines. It was goldmined in FYAD within the last 4 years but it doesnt appear to be there now. Someone with a "pope" username like bad pope was the best poster in it but I dont know if he was the OP.

I remember there was a lost SA stuff thread but also couldn't find that thread. Any help is appreciated.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
What steps would I need to take to create a "C" like the one seen in this logo (white interior, color outline, white outline) in Word 2010? I'm trying to make a poster, but I know absolutely nothing about graphic design.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Giant Squid posted:

What steps would I need to take to create a "C" like the one seen in this logo (white interior, color outline, white outline) in Word 2010? I'm trying to make a poster, but I know absolutely nothing about graphic design.

In Word? Just find the font. I think there's a font called "freshman" or something that has lettering like that. Try maybe whatthefont.com? I'd do it for you but I"m at work.

Or like this:

http://www.1001fonts.com/sf-collegiate-font.html

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

In Word? Just find the font. I think there's a font called "freshman" or something that has lettering like that. Try maybe whatthefont.com? I'd do it for you but I"m at work.

Or like this:

http://www.1001fonts.com/sf-collegiate-font.html

I went to that site and downloaded the file. What do I do from there? The new font doesn't show up on the pull down font menu in Word.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
put it (the unzipped ttf file(s)) in C:/Windows/Fonts

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ short and sweet, I've been beaten

Giant Squid posted:

I went to that site and downloaded the file. What do I do from there? The new font doesn't show up on the pull down font menu in Word.

Was the font zipped? Unzip it, extract the files. They'll be a weird extension. Then do a quick search on your computer for where your fonts are kept. If you're on a PC (which I'm assuming since you're using Word), it will probably just be called "fonts" and be loaded with a bunch of similar files (all your current fonts)

Drag or copy/paste your new font into that folder and like magic it should be in Word next time you try. I'd do some screencaps for you but my work computer is a mac. Hope this helps

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Thanks so much!

Is there a font that looks really similar to the font on the "Keep calm and carry on" posters that I can download?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Giant Squid posted:

Thanks so much!

Is there a font that looks really similar to the font on the "Keep calm and carry on" posters that I can download?

Try uploading a poster to whatthefont.com and seeing what you can find! It's a really handy site to get the hang of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can a business that offers free Wi-Fi be held responsible for what users do with their signal?