Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

it's been a year they learned to control their persona without one. Also a dog did it

Am I correct in reading the dog Snowy from Labrys's story is really Koromaru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Random question: does anyone know what the instant kill music is? I remember the tune from Persona 4 but I can't for the life of me recall the track name.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Vaerai Archon posted:

No, unless Koromaru is really spry for his age

Edit: Well I guess it isnt impossible, but I doubt it.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 13, 2012

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Crummelhorn posted:

Random question: does anyone know what the instant kill music is? I remember the tune from Persona 4 but I can't for the life of me recall the track name.

The title to the song is "Fog." It's the track that is played only once in the game, during the first part of the final fight with Izanami. It's probably one of my absolute favorite bits of the soundtrack from Persona 4, and I loving love nearly every bit of music in that game.

Spoilered in case people playing this Arena somehow don't know much about the ending to the other game.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Crummelhorn posted:

It's Fog from Persona 4. The instant kill riff starts a little whiles into the song.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Is Yosuke's hitbox really different from everyone else's? I've been practicing Elizabeth combos and half of them don't work on him. Even simple things like D->Sweep will completely whiff at normal timing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Sometimes I feel so poo poo at arcsys fighters. Just little stuff like oops, this guy was crouched while I was hitting him so I totally coulda added like an extra 2k damage to that combo but I am too dumb to notice :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Vaerai Archon posted:

Thatd make Koromaru at least 11 years old during P3. Its not unheard of, Ive had two dogs that lived to 16 myself, but they were A) Small and B) Not fighting shadows during the dark hour in a tower that saps virile teenagers of thier strength after just a short time, let alone a comparitively ancient dog

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cityinthesea posted:

That probably has my favorite quote (one of them anyway)

A true man is not bound by her sex!
That's good, but it doesn't beat the best quote in Yosuke's ending. How did the conversation go from working to wanking

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
I don't know what it is, but I can absolutely not do ultras or anything beyond the most basic actions in this game.

If I could do half of what I was trying to do, I would win so much more than I do :smith:. Not that I'm salty over it, but boy do I ever feel scrubby, because I never had problem with double QCF in other fighting games. But I just can't hit it in this game unless I'm buffering the motion over and over again.

I'm having so much more fun playing this game than any other fighter in the past 2 years or so. SSF4, Marvel, SC5, MK9, you name it. But holy poo poo do I suck. I've got a fight stick and the whole 9 yards, and yet I can't do half of what I try to do because I'm guessing this game ain't as lenient with the inputs as every other FG that I've tried.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So, I just marathoned all the post cliffhanger story stuff as well as labrys and elizabeth I dunno if this is really a spoiler and I'm pretty :psyduck:, what the hell did I just watch, exactly?

quote:

I don't know what it is, but I can absolutely not do ultras or anything beyond the most basic actions in this game.
I hate to say this but I really dont have any advice besides keep at it and get the muscle memory.

Davion
Apr 9, 2002

One shall stand, one shall fall.

blue font posted:

If I could do half of what I was trying to do, I would win so much more than I do :smith:. Not that I'm salty over it, but boy do I ever feel scrubby, because I never had problem with double QCF in other fighting games. But I just can't hit it in this game unless I'm buffering the motion over and over again.

I'm having so much more fun playing this game than any other fighter in the past 2 years or so. SSF4, Marvel, SC5, MK9, you name it. But holy poo poo do I suck. I've got a fight stick and the whole 9 yards, and yet I can't do half of what I try to do because I'm guessing this game ain't as lenient with the inputs as every other FG that I've tried.

Go into training mode and turn on input display. You can pretty easily self-diagnose what you're doing wrong by looking at what inputs the game is reading. In any fighting game you usually want your inputs to look pretty clean, so try getting it as close to 236 236 as possible for supers.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My biggest problem stems from having learned how to play fighting games on both a Genesis and a busted KoF97 arcade box, so I have a lot of old habits. On top of this the PS3's divided direction pad is really lovely for controlling things and the analog stick is subtly jittery.

I've been considering picking up a fight pad.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hyun. posted:

And then there was Evo 2k4 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play on XX instead of #R" and 2k5 where he said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, play #R instead of Slash" and 2k7 where he and Chris Lee basically said "gently caress you, Guilty Gear players, no more GG at Evo because Marn is a scumbag"

Wait, no. My bad. The #R instead of Slash thing didn't happen. The rest did, though.

To be fair, can you really hate a guy for pointing out that Marn is a shithead?

Also, while we're posting hardware obstacles/excuses: I just went from my POS (~99ms/6 frame delay) HDTV to a much nicer 30something inch rig (33ms/~2 frame delay) at my cousin's apartment to show off the game and good loving god the difference was like night and day... so now I'm stuck having to choose between getting a new standalone monitor or a Vita for P4 Golden :smithicide:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 13, 2012

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be fair, can you really hate a guy for pointing out that Marn is a shithead?

Also, while we're posting hardware obstacles/excuses: I just went from my POS (~99ms/6 frame delay) HDTV to a much nicer 30something inch rig (33ms/~2 frame delay) at my cousin's apartment to show off the game and good loving god the difference was like night and day... so now I'm stuck having to choose between getting a new standalone monitor or a Vita for P4 Golden :smithicide:

A very hard choice...

Concerning Golden: Is it just me, or are the number of Thoth Tarot increasing?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Watch as a DLC character pack comes out and it's nothing but Metis and Ken.

Metis is about as likely as the P3 protagonist.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

khazre posted:

Mitsuru and Akihiko both use their evokers with their instant kill attacks.

Akihiko uses it for Maziodyne as well! :downs:

Spiffo posted:

Metis is about as likely as the P3 protagonist.

Still holding my breath for Junpei as a DLC character.

And then my life will be complete :allears:

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

blue font posted:

I have trouble doing supers in this game sometimes as well, and for me it seems the issue is I tend to hit the button pretty late when doing a move in general. This game seems to want you to hit the last direction of the motion at the same time you hit the button (which is what you should be doing anyway). So if you're like me and you tend to do qcf, qcf, neutral+button, force yourself to hold forward or back as you hit the button for the super. Also, work on hitting the button earlier so you hit it just as you roll to forward or back.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Count Bleck posted:

Still holding my breath for Junpei as a DLC character.

And then my life will be complete :allears:

His IK has to be Vorpal Blade.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought this today after holding out for a whole 5 days thinking I'd get it after a price drop. The good news is I still managed to get the CD soundtrack

I've been replaying P4 for the past week and I really just want some more of that. If it's actually a good fighting game that's a nice bonus. I've never played an Arc fighter before, but I'm fairly terrible at Street Fighter, which I assume means I must be great at this.

On the DLC note:

In the GiantBomb Quicklook EX with the Atlus PR people they said they were not planning on DLC characters due to balance concerns, but maybe if it blows up we'll get some.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Substandard posted:

On the DLC note:

In the GiantBomb Quicklook EX with the Atlus PR people they said they were not planning on DLC characters due to balance concerns, but maybe if it blows up we'll get some.

It's arc sys. Look at what they did with BB. Even though P4 isn't their IP you can basically count on some sort of update with new chars in the future.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Substandard posted:

I just bought this today after holding out for a whole 5 days thinking I'd get it after a price drop. The good news is I still managed to get the CD soundtrack

I'm in the same boat. I just got done ordering it from Amazon. $53 with the soundtrack, so it was somewhat cheaper. After watching the two insane tournaments over the weekend I couldn't hold out any longer. This game just looks too fun. It's been forever since I played P3 or 4, so I'm gonna have to rectify that as well.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Doing some of the story mode, one of the things that annoys me is how poorly the Shadow Operatives are handling their duties. Oh, a level 4 incident happening in Inaba? Nah, let's forget about it, and have locals solve it and then jump in if it really escalates. But if something happens next year....

Hey, this group of high school students were just targets, with a couple getting kidnapped too, and the mastermind said he wants to turn (their) personas into powerful shadows? Have them stay in Inaba and ask them to let us handle it. Surely they won't get attacked again now that his plan failed, nor will said people try and follow us despite our good intentions.

Also, I'm trying to remember, but did Persona 3 explicitly say that Mitsuru's grandfather died and they have physical proof, or did he just disappear and was presumed dead when the experiments with shadows went awry?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Hey, this group of high school students were just targets, with a couple getting kidnapped too, and the mastermind said he wants to turn (their) personas into powerful shadows? Have them stay in Inaba and ask them to let us handle it. Surely they won't get attacked again now that his plan failed, nor will said people try and follow us despite our good intentions.

Mitsuru realizes this in her ending... She wants to try and stop it before they show up. Not like that's going to happen, but!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Started Story Mode last night before bed, got all the way to Yu's cliffhanger, and now I'm torn between either seeing everyone else's story modes, or just tearing through the minimal stories I need to get through Labrys's story so I can finish Yu's.

Oh, and I'm also up for getting my rear end kicked by any goons who are bored on the 360 version of the game. GT: Lone Wolf 047, and I just tried to add the metatag.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

nogic posted:

I have trouble doing supers in this game sometimes as well, and for me it seems the issue is I tend to hit the button pretty late when doing a move in general. This game seems to want you to hit the last direction of the motion at the same time you hit the button (which is what you should be doing anyway). So if you're like me and you tend to do qcf, qcf, neutral+button, force yourself to hold forward or back as you hit the button for the super. Also, work on hitting the button earlier so you hit it just as you roll to forward or back.

You know, that's a good idea. All my motions in the input display look pretty clean, so I figured it had to be more of a timing thing. Hadn't thought about just *holding* forward. I'll give it a go, thanks man.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

chumbler posted:

I've been screwing around with Labrys and I'm not seeing the appropriate use for her awakening super where she charges her axe up for a huge hit. It seems way too slow to punish even the most unsafe poo poo. Is there something I'm not seeing about it? Even if the Brooklyn robot isn't very good, she's fun enough that I want to learn her.

Edit: Also I guess Yu/Mitsuru are the best choices for easy to play, strong characters to have in your back pocket?

I haven't seen it in a real match yet, but in combo videos it's mostly used after trapping someone in a Tsurugi (that move where she sets up a trap on the ground that locks the opponent in place for a couple seconds on hit). Like doing a hard knockdown, cast a Tsurugi, OTG with 5a after casting because that apparently works, knock them into the Tsurugi and quickly go into the super. Of course it's always the version that uses the light attack. I don't think there's any possible way to hit someone with the heavy attack version unless they just run into it themselves.

As for punishing moves, I doubt it can be used for that.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Trihugger posted:

I haven't seen it in a real match yet, but in combo videos it's mostly used after trapping someone in a Tsurugi (that move where she sets up a trap on the ground that locks the opponent in place for a couple seconds on hit).
Can you hit her out of the charging axe thing or is she just 100% invincible and you have to hang out far away and dodge (it's unblockable, I think)? The computer did that to me over and over in an arcade match once and I think I tried hitting her out of it and got hit, then tried blocking and got hit and then I started running like a little girl when she did it. I'm guessing there's an easy way out of it, but I didn't find it in that match.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 13, 2012

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So I played some today and decided to change my Title... I hit random and immediately I stuck with the created title: A Baller Nanako

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

wixard posted:

Can you hit her out of the charging axe thing or is she just 100% invincible and you have to hang out far away and dodge (it's unblockable, I think)? The computer did that to me over and over in an arcade match once and I think I tried hitting her out of it and got hit, then tried blocking and got hit and then I started running like a little girl when she did it. I'm guessing there's an easy way out of it, but I didn't find it in that match.

Just jump away from it if you have the chance. It's like Teddie's Circus where it's unblockable, as you said. It also has super armor on all active frames, so... Yeah, hitting her out is a no-go. The B version does more damage, but charges around 2 seconds longer, if you wanted to know a little trivia.

Also you guys make awesome titles, this game has it that even something simple can sound both silly and The Best title at the same time.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Pash posted:

So I played some today and decided to change my Title... I hit random and immediately I stuck with the created title: A Baller Nanako
That's the best title I've ever heard. I'm super jealous. I tried random a few times but just got nonsense. I think I need to unlock more words.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

wixard posted:

If you can do so safely, jumping over Labrys(or getting behind her by any other means) when she does her charge up super is the best option. You don't have to time a dodge, and you will be on the ground at the moment she misses, which sets you up to do a follow up punish or at least get after her and pressure her depending on your character.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The best title is still Moe Money Moe Problems.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Right now I am watching as two Akihiko players are literally just mashing A and clashing with eachother. Good job holding up the line, assholes.

Edit: Their titles are "I love Blazblue" and "Mash 24/7 <3"

Edit2: I am now Ultimate Tsundere Bancho.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 13, 2012

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I am now messing around with Shadow Labrys. She still has Labrys' awesome jumping B so that's a good enough foundation for me to build off of.

Do any Shadow Labrys' players have some advice as to good uses of Titanomachia? I am finding myself kind of panicking and just inputting stuff without forethought after I activate it. What kind of inputs do you like to give it in various situations?

On the title front I'm still really looking for "Robot" to complete mine. Does anyone know if Robot is an available title part in this game?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 14, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
"Forbidden Choco Puff Execution Squad"

Yes, this will do nicely.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Currently running with "Dr. El Melon Cream Soda", but I just got the "Wedgie" title and I'm trying to think of something good to use it with.

For those Teddie mains (i.e. cool people) having trouble with super-jump cancelling in the corner, I finally figured out that you have to input the SJ right at the end of the animation for his 5B. If you do it too early (like I did), you won't get enough height to follow up with j.B j.A.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Is it just me, or is shadow labrys far and away the worst character?

She's a puppet character in a game where half the characters might as well be puppet characters, all of which have better pressure

She's a slow character with bad mobility that doesn't do good damage and has lower then average health

She's the easiest character in the game to persona break, but she's also the most persona reliant character in the game

She doesn't have an accent

She just seems totally busted, and the only decent parts about her and the awakening super and the normals she stole from regular labrys

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

darealkooky posted:

Is it just me, or is shadow labrys far and away the worst character?

She's the easiest character in the game to persona break, but she's also the most persona reliant character in the game

But she isn't Elizabeth :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you know your match ups and how to correctly use her SLabrys is really really strong.

• Locked thread