Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

gnarlyhotep posted:

Does anybody know what the origin of the SA "grenade logo" is?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
What's the origin of that corgi one sees in YOSPOS all the drat time?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Airconswitch posted:

What's the origin of that corgi one sees in YOSPOS all the drat time?

The MS Paint one? It is/was someone's avatar, but I don't remember whose. If I recall correctly, they were basically the YOSPOS whipping boy despite not being a particularly bad poster.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Moose Milkie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:milkie:

Yeah that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

Does anybody know what the origin of the SA "grenade logo" is?

Abe placed it there and demanded to become a mod, if he's ever demodded he'll blow up the whole forum. :ohdear:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Ok I admit I'm a dumbass who didn't look at the SAclopedia first.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Moose Milkie's av is a picture from one of the banner animals at the top of each SA page (obviously it came from somewhere before that, though I don't have the full image).

Forums poster z0r once claimed to have started the "milkifying" of gifs one night when he was bored, and that Moose Milkie was just a victim of chance.

Some of the gifs are here and there's a tumblr with more, but I can't find the link right now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.mlyp.tumblr.com

Most of the good stuff is in there.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fork bomb posted:

Moose Milkie's av is a picture from one of the banner animals at the top of each SA page (obviously it came from somewhere before that, though I don't have the full image).

Forums poster z0r once claimed to have started the "milkifying" of gifs one night when he was bored, and that Moose Milkie was just a victim of chance.

Some of the gifs are here and there's a tumblr with more, but I can't find the link right now.

z0r also bought :milkie: and then accused milkie of buying it for himself

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Moose Milkie's av is an mspainted version of one of the little pictures that show up next to the top banner ads.

this dog:

is img tagging an image hosted on SA considered leeching?

Poniard has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Aug 12, 2012

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Does anyone know what the hell one of The Finn's old avatars comes from?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Dirk Kuyt, Dutch footballer.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Christ what a mug. Thanks for knowing, though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Specifically, it's from You Are The Ref.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fork bomb posted:

Moose Milkie's av is a picture from one of the banner animals at the top of each SA page (obviously it came from somewhere before that, though I don't have the original)

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Starstore_Catalogue_Dog_Breed_Calendars_for_Dogs_beginning_C__3714.html

The 2005 Corgi calendar.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

What are the codes that some people have in their profiles? I know one is for AwfulYearbook.com, but what is the other one I see fairly often?

For example:

a5bf7e345d11717e55b209c3b9d61127
and
99c44b2bb33c

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Friend posted:

What are the codes that some people have in their profiles? I know one is for AwfulYearbook.com, but what is the other one I see fairly often?

For example:

a5bf7e345d11717e55b209c3b9d61127
and
99c44b2bb33c

A bunch of SA offshoot stuff requires you to put a code in your profile to verify that you are who you say, or link your account, or whatever. Off the top of my head, Goonwaffe (EVE Online stuff) and the PSN Goon Database are two things that require it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

LPix (an image hosting service for Let's Plays) does as well.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

GBS.FM makes you do it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any particular reason for this aside from the ongoing SA culture war?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Farbtoner posted:

Is there any particular reason for this aside from the ongoing SA culture war?

Rules-lawyering children will complain and send giant whiny PMs and/or make passive-aggressively whiny posts if there isn't an Official Notice that they're going to get crushed for derailing a thread with poorly executed, insufferably sanctimonious Social Justice Outrage posting.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
...Toby, is your avatar a toe bee?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I don't think it was meant to be but now that you ask I am going to go with "yes" on that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't want that on my toe.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I understand why the regdate smileys from 2009 to 2011 is like that, but what is the story behind the remaining regdate smileys? Is there even a story behind them or is this just some user making them for kicks?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

toebe posted:

I don't think it was meant to be but now that you ask I am going to go with "yes" on that.

Or not toebe?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

toanoradian posted:

I understand why the regdate smileys from 2009 to 2011 is like that, but what is the story behind the remaining regdate smileys? Is there even a story behind them or is this just some user making them for kicks?
I believe they were unironically used for "loving <current year> newbies" before :regd08:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

tacodaemon posted:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Splizwarf posted:

For heaven's sake, there's even someone selling Goatse Mugs in SA-Mart. Goatse is an ancient, festering evil, pre-dating Something Awful by at least a year (since it's in the video game Unreal).

it goes back to at least 1999. You never forget your first goatse.

Nobody tell him about tubgirl or meatspin.

Something Awful goes back to 1999 :ssh:

And Unreal was published in 1998. :slick:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

S-Alpha posted:

A bunch of SA offshoot stuff requires you to put a code in your profile to verify that you are who you say, or link your account, or whatever. Off the top of my head, Goonwaffe (EVE Online stuff) and the PSN Goon Database are two things that require it.

The SA Secret Santa thread, too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Splizwarf posted:

And Unreal was published in 1998. :slick:

I know there's the reference in UT2K4, but where was it in the original Unreal?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For most subjects I'd try to Google up an example for you, buuut not this time.

There's a tunnel in Unreal which, when exited, is Goatse when you turn around to look at it. The fingers are pipes, and it's not really very obvious. Until, of course, you spot... the ring.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm positive that's not in UT99, unless some people are way more sensitive to subtle goatses than I am. I think you're thinking of the same thing Baron von Eevl is talking about.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

...Toby, is your avatar a toe bee?

It's pronounced "tee-bee" :rolleyes:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Entirely possible, it was a million years ago. On the other hand the UT2K4 one is a lot more blatant than I was thinking of, and isn't a cliff edge. Guess it's time to go play Unreal! v:v:v

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Let's spin the smilie roulette and see what we get!

:dings:

Someone care to explain?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Let's spin the smilie roulette and see what we get!

:dings:

Someone care to explain?

Dings is an awfully nice guy who can cheer your day right up if you follow @ItsDings on twitter.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Wasn't that from the thread that "Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded" came from?

Or am I thinking of :angel:?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Smelly posted:

Wasn't that from the thread that "Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded" came from?

Or am I thinking of :angel:?

Well, that wasn't a thread. It was a front page article.

If there was a thread to go along with it, I apologize, but it seemed like the emails were private until the article went up (at least to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah, it was an ALOD that had a thread to go along with it. I just remember the thread. :v:

Edit: Here's the thread

It's goldmined, so it shouldn't require archives.

Draven has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Aug 16, 2012