Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Well I just got ac from the reptile expo, and I got a crested baby. It's a good thing I knew that I was only ready for one at the moment or I would have bought like a dozen. I need to borrow a camera to take pictures, but I'll post some soon.

I wasn't prepared for how fast and determined it was to go exploring. As soon as I open the cup thing it came in, it zoomed up my arm, either jumped or flew off my elbow and on to a tank and went sprinting up that. I'm pretty happy I managed to catch it and put it into the quarantine tank without squishing it or pulling its tail off or whatever, but holy poo poo.

So, how DO you go about not filling up your entire house with various tanks and such? Right now I'm looking at a lot of blank walls that would be improved by terrariums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Atmus posted:

So, how DO you go about not filling up your entire house with various tanks and such? Right now I'm looking at a lot of blank walls that would be improved by terrariums.

Other than just self control the best thing is to make yourself agree to a minimum housing standard. No geckos unless you have at least a 20 gallon vertical or exo-terra with proper cage furniture, etc. If you don't do this you could easily see yourself just collecting more and keeping them in racks of tupperware shoe boxes until you have no more space to put them.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
A couple of years ago I discovered that, when you own birds, people try to give you more birds. Apparently turtles work the same way.

"Hey! I haven't seen you since last summer! How's the hognose snake I gave you?"
"Great! Want a three-toed box turtle? We found her eating peaches under our peach tree."
This is Euclid.

"Hey, I saw your Freecycle post looking for stuff to build a turtle pen. Want our box turtle? He eats cat food, we'll give you the rest of the bag."
This is Pythogoras, eating a species-appropriate food item.

"Welcome to the turtle sanctuary! Your turtles are both girls, would you like a boy to keep them company? You can pick this one...or this one...what the hell, we're trying to downsize, just take them both."
This is Escher,

and Necker.

This is my turtle pen.

This is Py inhabiting the strawberries.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Ughh. Have any of you other hognose people had a problem with regurging ever? I had never had a problem with any snake regurgitating before, it's like my poor guy is in a cycle now. Today was the third time he's done it in a row. It's killing me not knowing what's up. At first I read upping his temps should help, so I waited a week, then fed again. Second regurge happened. I then read waiting a week was a bad idea and I should try feeding him again sooner, so I waited ~3-4 days and tried again. Third regurge was tonight. :sigh: He's acting normal enough, but I think he looks pretty crappy myself. My boyfriend is going to pick up some pinkies tomorrow to see if we can get him back eating by using itty bitty prey. What do you guys think I should do? Wait a week? Wait 3-4 days? It's just so frustrating. I'm so upset about it. :(

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hypnotoad posted:

Ughh. Have any of you other hognose people had a problem with regurging ever? I had never had a problem with any snake regurgitating before, it's like my poor guy is in a cycle now. Today was the third time he's done it in a row. It's killing me not knowing what's up. At first I read upping his temps should help, so I waited a week, then fed again. Second regurge happened. I then read waiting a week was a bad idea and I should try feeding him again sooner, so I waited ~3-4 days and tried again. Third regurge was tonight. :sigh: He's acting normal enough, but I think he looks pretty crappy myself. My boyfriend is going to pick up some pinkies tomorrow to see if we can get him back eating by using itty bitty prey. What do you guys think I should do? Wait a week? Wait 3-4 days? It's just so frustrating. I'm so upset about it. :(

Wait a week before feeding again, and try a little smaller mouse. Regurging is very stressful, and 1 regurge can lead to more if pushed. What temps are you keeping it at?

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Big Centipede posted:

Wait a week before feeding again, and try a little smaller mouse. Regurging is very stressful, and 1 regurge can lead to more if pushed. What temps are you keeping it at?

Echoing Big Centipede's advice. Let time be your friend here, as the snake will require at least a week for the acids to recover. Feeding too soon will lead to more regurges. So even waiting 2 weeks won't be a bad thing. Odd as it sounds, regurges will kill a snake much quicker than starvation. And 2-4 weeks off-feed won't starve a snake at all. So let time be your ally here as the snake heals.

Dial down the belly heat. If using a thermostat, drop it to 82-85F. If just using a stick-on heat, sans thermostat, unplug it and try to keep the daytime temps in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Echoing Big Centipede's advice. Let time be your friend here, as the snake will require at least a week for the acids to recover. Feeding too soon will lead to more regurges. So even waiting 2 weeks won't be a bad thing. Odd as it sounds, regurges will kill a snake much quicker than starvation. And 2-4 weeks off-feed won't starve a snake at all. So let time be your ally here as the snake heals.

Dial down the belly heat. If using a thermostat, drop it to 82-85F. If just using a stick-on heat, sans thermostat, unplug it and try to keep the daytime temps in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Did I miss where they said what temps it was kept at? Regurges are usually caused by one of two things, wrong temps, or too large of a prey item.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

unprofessional posted:

OneTwentySix, I still have the two Taricha granulosa you sold me three or four years ago. They've never bred, but I adore them. Very attentive, easy to care for, and they always come right up to the glass when I go nearby.

Glad to hear it! Taricha are neat animals; I have a couple little torosa that I'd like to raise up and try breeding, though the long wait frustrates me; makes me wish I could just get an adult pair and start this spring. Your little guys might be a pair, or might not; they don't really tend to breed so well in captivity for most people. I've had amplexus from grans before, but never eggs. I'm working with mostly outdoor enclosures now though, so I hope that if I get some adult Taricha some time again, I'll have better luck.

How big are your guys now?

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Thanks so much for the replies guys, its making me feel a little better. His temps were initially mid to low 80s on the hot side, mid 70s on the cool side. But then I read to bump his heat up to low 90s on the hot side. Since I did, he has spent a lot of time basking on the hot side. Do you guys still think I should cool it down? Also I'm nearly positive the prey item wasn't too big, as he's been eating this same bag of largeish hoppers for a few months prior to this no problem, which is why this is all so frustrating. But I'll definitely give him some time to relax, wait a week and a half or two, and try a pinky and see if he can keep that down.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hypnotoad posted:

Thanks so much for the replies guys, its making me feel a little better. His temps were initially mid to low 80s on the hot side, mid 70s on the cool side. But then I read to bump his heat up to low 90s on the hot side. Since I did, he has spent a lot of time basking on the hot side. Do you guys still think I should cool it down? Also I'm nearly positive the prey item wasn't too big, as he's been eating this same bag of largeish hoppers for a few months prior to this no problem, which is why this is all so frustrating. But I'll definitely give him some time to relax, wait a week and a half or two, and try a pinky and see if he can keep that down.

85-90 should be fine for a hot side. Give it a solid week or 10 days and try feeding again. Let us know how it goes.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

85-90 should be fine for a hot side. Give it a solid week or 10 days and try feeding again. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you, I definitely will!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

My dart frogs were going wild this morning calling and fighting and wanting to mate, I think.

http://youtu.be/XW8qwNQAnQ0

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
One of my crestie males (Crowley) has decided to be super stealthy this morning. :downs:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Greycious posted:

My dart frogs were going wild this morning calling and fighting and wanting to mate, I think.

http://youtu.be/XW8qwNQAnQ0

That is super cool! Next on the list, dart frogs...

Captain Foxy posted:

One of my crestie males (Crowley) has decided to be super stealthy this morning. :downs:

My juvenile, Ivy, is currently sleeping upside down on a leaf pressed directly against the glass. Subtle little bastards, aren't they? I'm not sure how Darwinism hasnt solved this :downs:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Okay, so this is what all that fuss was about :

I am shocked, but also not too horribly shocked to have found these this morning. My friend who is the 'frog guy' gave me these about a month ago. Yesterday he was over and said "Yeah the girl looks pretty chunky, she might have some eggs in her"

Yes- quite a lot of eggs, too!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Congrats on the leuc eggs! I may get back into darts, now that I'm not traveling as much and can reliably keep temps/humidity/feeding constant without relying on negligent petsitters.

Trilineatus posted:

My juvenile, Ivy, is currently sleeping upside down on a leaf pressed directly against the glass. Subtle little bastards, aren't they? I'm not sure how Darwinism hasnt solved this :downs:

Calcifer, my juvie male, does that all the time. Or he convinces himself that just one corner of the leaf touching him means he's invisible. Or he goes to sleep in a bamboo pipe and leaves his tail hanging out. Some of the girls seem to have more sense, but Amelie, my derp-y female, will just plop herself on a branch out in the open with zero fucks given.

I'm really not at all shocked that most of them have lost their tails in the wild. Not the brightest animals.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
My Haitian curly-tailed lizards looooove murdering snails. Reginald gets super excited, headbobs, and shakes one apart while Beartato looks on in this video: http://youtu.be/MPsYWKn9ewQ

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Pardalis posted:

My Haitian curly-tailed lizards looooove murdering snails. Reginald gets super excited, headbobs, and shakes one apart while Beartato looks on in this video: http://youtu.be/MPsYWKn9ewQ

That is just wild how quickly he breaks it apart and gulps it down! So cool.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So my flighty strike-everything-that-moves female hognose, Alice, didn't want to eat yesterday but did today. I offered her a live hopper (as she often refuses prekilled but am working on getting her over) and she hissed, puffed, struck a few times, always missing, and finally nailed herself. She sat for a good minute as if realizing why there was pain in her side and why she didn't taste mouse. Then I offered her a prekilled one, and she was happy with that.

Snakes.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Greycious posted:

That is just wild how quickly he breaks it apart and gulps it down! So cool.

They're really neat little animals. She keeps them at eye-height, and they stare and bob at us, or scramble at the glass when we move around. They're very personable, and being dirunal, are very active. Not much is known about their care or keeping, but they devour pretty much any prey item Pardalis gives them. The snails are a particular favorite.

When the pacific sideband snail tank was next to theirs, Reginald stared and scrabbled at the glass in impotent snail-rage. :3:

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
Cross-posting this from the Cute & Adorable thread in PFY:

The local natural history museum has a resident gopher tortoise named Gus. On Sunday they celebrated his 90th birthday, with hundreds of visitors. :3:

Montreal Gazette posted:

Museum staff believe Gus, who is barely bigger than a kitten, is the oldest gopher turtle in the world.

They estimate he hatched sometime between 1920 and 1925.

His guests were treated to birthday cake and lemonade, but Gus himself dined on organic blueberries and strawberries.

The fruit was a "special treat" for the almost-century-old tortoise.

Jeff Gray, the museum's curator of marketing and communications, said Gus usually sticks to a balanced diet of lettuce, berries and bananas.

How Gus got his name:

NS Natural History Museum posted:

In the 1950s, John Augustus Gilhen was an animal lover who devoted hours of his time to helping out at the museum. Whenever I got hungry, I would trundle over to John and firmly tap his shoe until he would give me a snack. Because of this, the museum’s curators decided that I had to be called Gus, in honour of my new friend.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
So here are pictures of my crestie!

It's a harlequin with some spotting, I guess! I'm pretty proud that I managed to not detail it during the few times I had to interact with it, despite being 10,000 times its weight and nowhere near as agile.

A question though, is this critter keeper with deburred PVC pipe, fake plants, and a paper towel good enough to keep it for a few weeks while I set up a 20g long vertical tank, or should I finish setting up the other 20g long as a temporary one in the mean time?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The gopher tortoise makes me sad.

Years and years ago my family lived in New Mexico on the air force base in Alamagordo. It was known that my mom kept turtles and we had leopard tortoises too. So comes to pass that this being Desert Storm time, the military is shipping air conditioners from Florida to New Mexico to be then sent to Kuwait. The boxes get to the air force in NM and sit. And sit. And a month or two later someone cracks them open, and a severely starved and dehydrated Florida gopher tortoise limps out of one.

The tort is given to my dad, and then we have Frisky. Frisky was the best goddamn kid-friendly tort ever; she'd chase me specifically around the backyard for her berries, wanted to be handfed, and was generally a friendly little bitch. She would come up to the patio, claw the screen door open, and wander around inside without a care in the world.

Then we move back to Arizona, and when my mom is chatting up some local tortoise club, the president tells her that gopher torts are illegal in AZ but no worries, she has a contact out of state who can take Frisky.

Things were bad enough on my mom with the move, and now she had to deal with a child Cowslips crying and begging her not to take Frisky away, because that was my tortoise damnit, and couldn't we just not tell anyone we had her? I remember being there when the lady took Frisky in a box and drove away. No part of me thought she might have been lying. Because she was an adult, right?

Later on I had my suspicions because the lady was told how great and friendly this animal was, and how no one in the club had ever seen one alive before period.

Needless to say that prior to the move we had had to rehome one of my pet tortoises and then after the move we had to get rid of the other, for a good while I hated anything to do with the animals and refused to help with them at all. I think I even told my mom I had wished for her favorite tortoise to die because then she'd know how it felt (the tortoise did die due to health reasons right before I told her). I was one rear end in a top hat kid.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Cowslips Warren posted:

The gopher tortoise makes me sad.

:(

That's a sad story. Turtles & tortoises are illegal as pets here but I think museums are exempt since it's for educational purposes.

Here's a picture of my derpy frogs to cheer you up:

Poor Ella was trying to shed in peace and then Rory decided to climb on her.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

OneTwentySix, I have breeding trio of granulosa that I would be happy to ship to you if you could walk me through it. They are the nicest specimens out of a local pond I searched many months ago. You can email me at kenyachams at gmail dot com if you are interested.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I'm headed to the PDX Metro expo on Saturday, trawling for crestie stock, along with a friend who is looking to purchase a CBB Brazilian Rainbow Boa. It's a small show, and the vendor selection can be pretty meh, but I'm hoping to see some promise in the local crestie breeders.

I've already reserved this handsome quad-stripe chap, and am picking him up soon after the show.

Produced by Emily Maple. Missing a few pins in the back, but check out those laterals!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

I'm headed to the PDX Metro expo on Saturday, trawling for crestie stock, along with a friend who is looking to purchase a CBB Brazilian Rainbow Boa. It's a small show, and the vendor selection can be pretty meh, but I'm hoping to see some promise in the local crestie breeders.

I've already reserved this handsome quad-stripe chap, and am picking him up soon after the show.

Produced by Emily Maple. Missing a few pins in the back, but check out those laterals!

Hey! I saw this dude for sale on facebook the other day! Quite the handsome fellow, he'll make amazing babies for you. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Small world! :hfive:

I'm hoping to get a nice holdback from him, as well as a nice holdback from my other black/cream pin male (Crowley, above) and breed those two to create a really fabulous main breeding male. Long term gecko goals ~

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

Small world! :hfive:

I'm hoping to get a nice holdback from him, as well as a nice holdback from my other black/cream pin male (Crowley, above) and breed those two to create a really fabulous main breeding male. Long term gecko goals ~

:D

I'm such a sucker for pinners, I can't wait to see the outcome of all that! Should be one amazing dude! And speaking of pinners (although not 100%), I am really liking the two hatchlings I've produced so far this season.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Genmaicha, my geriatric panther chameleon, lives mostly outside during the warm summer months. He was in a mood today. I have never seen him fire up this fully red. This from a chameleon that has also been totally blue-on-blue! He has wider color variation than any cham I have ever personally seen. He is also a big sucky babby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Can anyone help me figure out what sort of chelonian this critter is?

He was listed on craigslist and I'd like to make sure I can care for him properly, even temporarily, before I make an offer. I love turtles and tortoises, but don't know everything about them. To my eye, he looks like crap. And definitely being poorly fed.

From CL: "I got this tortoise from a friend but i dont want it and i dont know anything about turtles. Its just the turtle nothing else. i dont even have a cage for it. So please make me an offer and come get it. Would like to get 40$ "

Obviously, the poor guy needs an upgrade badly.

(I've been wanting a turtle and/or tortoise for a while now - I have a 55gal aquarium and plans for making a 4x8 turtle table, and have been researching care, so it's not really an impulse adoption)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like an eastern box or a three-toed box. Not a tortoise at all but a turtle. And please do take it if you can; be sure to check for soft shell issues or bubbles at the nose.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Looks like an eastern box or a three-toed box. Not a tortoise at all but a turtle. And please do take it if you can; be sure to check for soft shell issues or bubbles at the nose.

Yeah, that's why I said chelonian and not tortoise. I couldn't figure out what it was, but I wasn't at all sure it was a tortoise like she said.

Thanks!

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Yeah, that's why I said chelonian and not tortoise. I couldn't figure out what it was, but I wasn't at all sure it was a tortoise like she said.

Thanks!

It's a three-toed, for sure

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Big Centipede posted:

It's a three-toed, for sure

Great! Now I just have to see if I can get it from the dunce that advertised it and is feeding it lettuce.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

hypnotoad posted:

:D

I'm such a sucker for pinners, I can't wait to see the outcome of all that! Should be one amazing dude! And speaking of pinners (although not 100%), I am really liking the two hatchlings I've produced so far this season.

What a nice pair! I hope my first clutch can be that consistent. Really like the portholes on the baby on the right, and the heads/crests of both are beautiful.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my flighty strike-everything-that-moves female hognose, Alice, didn't want to eat yesterday but did today. I offered her a live hopper (as she often refuses prekilled but am working on getting her over) and she hissed, puffed, struck a few times, always missing, and finally nailed herself. She sat for a good minute as if realizing why there was pain in her side and why she didn't taste mouse. Then I offered her a prekilled one, and she was happy with that.

Snakes.

A textbook case of Multiple Hognosality Disorder. There's no cure. Mine prowls for food and the hissing, hooding and bluff-striking starts the moment I open the cage. Ditto for spotcleaning, water changing or even tending to animals in adjacent cages. Of course, he crawls straight out of his hide to the front of the cage too.

He hasn't bitten himself yet, but he's working on it. It sounds like yours is a few education levels more advanced.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Back from the PDX reptile expo! A pretty nice show, all in all. Mostly snakes, but I did see a lot of uroplatus and e. agricolae for sale. There were maybe three female cresties in the entire hall; everything else was unsexed babies and males. I managed to grab a beautiful light red white wall harley female, a proven breeder (with retained sperm from a red male) from Black Ink Reptiles. And I picked up my quad stripe male, of course.

He's huge and creamy and an easy going lump. I think I'm naming him Quark.

And this is my new girl, as of yet unnamed.

I also walked away with a juvenile pair of White Line (Gekko vittatus) geckos, but they are incredibly stressed and probably WC (vendor bought them through a third party, knew barely anything) so I'm going to baby them and hopefully bring them to better health. They're beautiful animals though; I'll take pics once they settle down.

And Pardalis is buying me a beautiful Ambilobe Panther chameleon baby on Tuesday! WEEK OF REPTILE ACQUISITION~

ETA: Calcifer felt left out

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 19, 2012

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

I love that new female Foxy! She looks very similar to my main male. And you found uroplatus and agricolae at a show?? I'm quite jealous! I've never seen an aggie anywhere besides online, and the only uroplatus I've ever seen were some U. Ebanaui. I hope your white lines do good for you, I had a WC one for a while and he was incredibly cool. I still regret selling him every now and then. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

You had a white line? Can I ask how you kept yours? I'm seeing basking light, temps of 80-90 during the day, 70-80 nightly, high humidity and offer dusted insects/CGD every other day. The guides I've seen also say a 20g/tall works for a pair. I have them in a 30g with two broad-leaf plants, a UTH, basking light (on the way) water dish and bamboo hides. I really like their curly tails. :3:

And yes, I was surprised to see aggies there and could barely restrain myself from buying one! For $100-125 a baby it was a real sharp pain to say no to, but I promised myself only four animals purchased, and I managed to stick to that. The Uroplatus I saw were mostly henkelii and sikorae; I've never even heard of U. ebanaui until today, so I'm jealous of your sighting.

• Locked thread