Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well. That explains an awful lot.

It sure does! It seems a little odd the way they talk about Baam, though. I mean there have been other irregulars who could have done the job if they were powerful enough. And there are, since there are 2 irregulars ranked higher than Zahard. Baam seems special even for an irregular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

It sure does! It seems a little odd the way they talk about Baam, though. I mean there have been other irregulars who could have done the job if they were powerful enough. And there are, since there are 2 irregulars ranked higher than Zahard. Baam seems special even for an irregular.

I'm guessing they saw him as easier to manipulate, he knew nothing when he entered the tower. They only got him to join them because of them manipulating Rachel into betraying them. I don't think Baam would've ever joined fug otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is also possible that Baam is somehow fundamentally different from other irregulars. Maybe the use of the term 'non-regular' was deliberate and not simply a different translation?

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
I hope that the last page wasn't supoosed to be a reveal?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Alca posted:

I hope that the last page wasn't supoosed to be a reveal?
No - but it implies that Baam hasn't been brainwashed or anything and he still recognizes his own name (and that FUG widely knows his original name).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I powered through this pretty quickly and like it quite a lot. However, I will say that I zoned out a bit during some of the Room test chapters and wasn't really liking the new cast or story direction that much. This sort of thing seems to happen a lot in comics with time skips so it wasn't all that unexpected, but at the very least the re-introduction of Koon and company, even if briefly, has gotten me hooked again.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Reading back on some recent chapters has made me hungry for some jjajangmyeon

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

It is also possible that Baam is somehow fundamentally different from other irregulars. Maybe the use of the term 'non-regular' was deliberate and not simply a different translation?

I think the difference is that the other Irregulars are still from the tower, they just forced their way in instead of getting chosen by Headon. At least that's how I read it.

Baam is from outside the tower completely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I think the difference is that the other Irregulars are still from the tower, they just forced their way in instead of getting chosen by Headon. At least that's how I read it.

Baam is from outside the tower completely.

See, if that were true it would mean that Rachel was also from outside the tower. Whether that is true or not, she is still from the same place as Baam but has not shown any special qualities. The key difference between the two is that Baam was imprisoned alone in a cave, while Rachel could come and go from said cave. I can think of several reasons why she might have been able to enter off the top of my head, so I'm not too concerned about Rachel's role for that part.

So, who is Baam? Why was he imprisoned?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

So, who is Baam? Why was he imprisoned?

Even weirder is how Rachel would come and go from a speck of light that he built a pile of rocks to. I'm not even sure if all of Baam's past is meant to be taken as literal, especially since he was essentially a feral child when Rachel found him.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It seems likely that Rachel wasn't visiting Baam because she wanted to, but because she was sent there by someone to keep him calm and under control. It has been heavily implied that she's terrified of him and wanted to get away.

My guess is he was somehow recognized as having crazy power possibly because of who his parents were like lizard girl and others. He was probably imprisoned there by tower officials which is why everyone took competing interests in stopping him or moving him on different paths early in the tests.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Well, in the latest chapter it's stated clearly that he isn't from the Tower (since people in the Outer Tower are still residents of the Tower), and not even the most knowledgeable organization in the Tower knows how to leave it. So I don't think his imprisonment is related to Tower politics unless there's been a mistranslation.

He could still be the "Prince of Zahard," assuming we take that to mean that he and Zahard share an ancestry or origin outside of the Tower.

(Although we don't know if there is a physical location that the Tower must be entered from, or if it even has a physical presence in the outside world, it might be that Baam was being prepared to enter the Tower by people outside of it, for reasons unknown. If there is a physical Tower, Baam's cave might be just outside or even below it).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, in the latest chapter it's stated clearly that he isn't from the Tower (since people in the Outer Tower are still residents of the Tower), and not even the most knowledgeable organization in the Tower knows how to leave it. So I don't think his imprisonment is related to Tower politics unless there's been a mistranslation.

He could still be the "Prince of Zahard," assuming we take that to mean that he and Zahard share an ancestry or origin outside of the Tower.

I remember the cave he was trapped in having the Zahard ensigna somewhere in it, so that's some evidence that Baam was deliberately imprisoned by Zahard.

Also I'm pretty sure the Prince of Zahard thing is supposed to refer to Wagnan.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Baam's name is also technically '25th Baam'. We've been told by Baam himself that he was named after the night of his birth, but we don't really know if that's true. He could be the result of some kind of genetic engineering or Shinsoo infusion experiments and imprisoned/watched because he was considered too dangerous.

It's all just idle speculation at this point, though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Cake Attack posted:

I remember the cave he was trapped in having the Zahard ensigna somewhere in it, so that's some evidence that Baam was deliberately imprisoned by Zahard.

Also I'm pretty sure the Prince of Zahard thing is supposed to refer to Wagnan.

Zahard may have brought that symbol with him from outside, though. The symbol on the wall was actually slightly different as well: instead of three dots below the eyes, there is a cross with three dots positioned around the cross. Take a look here if my explanation is confusing: http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Zahard_Family

There's a lot of speculation about who the actual Prince of Zahard is, because SUI said something that indicates there might be a twist around that. However, it might also be SUI trolling his fans, because he does that.

Edit: It occurs to me that Baam could have been placed outside the Tower if that was the result of the Zahard/Phantiminium meeting. Phantiminium is an exis, who are basically gods in the larger setting. So he probably could get someone out of the Tower.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 14, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hodgepodge posted:

Phantiminium is an exis, who are basically gods in the larger setting. So he probably could get someone out of the Tower.

Er, where did we learn this?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Er, where did we learn this?

Probably from the author's blog, there's a lot of ultimately irrelevant background information floating around courtesy of the author.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Yeah. I doubt he'll even show up, since SUI considers him too powerful to effectively use. I guess he was put there to be a link to the wider setting and help him get some momentum behind his revision of Talze Uzer Story, but if they need a way to have someone leave the Tower he might be convenient as well.

(TUS and several other stories set in the same universe were available on the author's blog before TOG started, so people have read the original versions of them. SUI pulled them because they weren't really professional quality and were more like his portfolio in a sense, and he wants to redo the stories professionally at some point).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well, that was a pretty good chapter. It didn't reveal anything really new, but confirmed some things, and it looks like the next chapter might provide some new information.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

A Korean webcomic is the last place id expect to see a Skyrim namedrop.

I know this is from back on Page 5, but where was the skyrim namedrop? I was looking for it and could never find it :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

I know this is from back on Page 5, but where was the skyrim namedrop? I was looking for it and could never find it :(

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/82306/tower-of-god_v2_by_the-company

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Oh, I thought that was just some random thing the translator threw in there, not an official part of the comic...

I'm really enjoying this now, but I'm pretty unhappy over the blonde bitch's betrayal. Not because I like her, but because it seems like it's ruined baam's trusting and cheerful personality...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

khy posted:

the blonde bitch
Can you stop this? It's gross and creepy and weird.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
http://mangapirate.net/Tower_of_God/108/1

I think this group is basically a speed'scan', but it's definitely understandable.

Some great exposition this chapter, but the best part had to be the group names at the end, I loved them both. Team 'The Devil-Nim and I' indeed.

I'm not sure I understand the friend sheet, the context on how things are written and the annotations are definitely being lost in translation. For example, looking at the raw, it had similar annotations in red and black on it, but in the translation Koon's is just erased rather than translated.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

j

EmotionlessThug fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 27, 2021

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Team sweet and sour pork :3:

Composed of respectively

An irregular
A hothead tesundere pyro
An albino with an unbrella bazooka
A crafty grenadier
THE man with a the devil in his right arm
A mob prince who cant take a punch
The level headed girl with glasses
And the kid

Yah it fits.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh man this series is so great. At first I was annoyed we'd shifted to this new bunch but now I just can't wait for them to start climbing again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There were some interesting lines in this chapter, assuming the translators didn't gently caress up.

quote:

Maybe she thought the trash at the top were more important than you

It seems coffee guy doesn't think too highly of the on the top floors, for some reason.

quote:

I'm sorry to say that, like us, even you [Wangnan] don't have the strength to do that

I take this line as a hint that Wangnan has some sort of hidden depths, since she says "even you."

cia document

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I was hoping that Baam's motivations were a bit more complex, actually. The hostage thing is a bit simplistic. He isn't even chasing Rachel to get answers.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I was hoping that Baam's motivations were a bit more complex, actually. The hostage thing is a bit simplistic. He isn't even chasing Rachel to get answers.

You do realize you're talking about Baam?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Genocyber posted:

There were some interesting lines in this chapter, assuming the translators didn't gently caress up.

For the first one, back before the guardian test on the second floor, Baam was talking mad poo poo towards Mr. Coffee. Saying that after reaching the top of the tower, he couldn't find anything worthwhile in the massive pile of garbage up there. This is just him flipping those words right back at Baam. He's such an amazing rear end in a top hat.

But yeah, this whole hostage thing seems so stupid. There has to be something else up someone's sleeve because otherwise FUG is beyond stupid. By the time Baam is strong enough to kill Zahard he'd be more than strong enough to kill everyone in FUG. I guess the only problem would be hunting them all down.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lil baby anime posted:

For the first one, back before the guardian test on the second floor, Baam was talking mad poo poo towards Mr. Coffee. Saying that after reaching the top of the tower, he couldn't find anything worthwhile in the massive pile of garbage up there. This is just him flipping those words right back at Baam. He's such an amazing rear end in a top hat.

But yeah, this whole hostage thing seems so stupid. There has to be something else up someone's sleeve because otherwise FUG is beyond stupid. By the time Baam is strong enough to kill Zahard he'd be more than strong enough to kill everyone in FUG. I guess the only problem would be hunting them all down.

Even if Baam does get that powerful, that's not something he can necessarily risk, as the moment he attacks one FUG agent, that one could send a signal for all of the first team to be killed. Unless Baam could kill every member of FUG at once, the danger is still there.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
From the text and how far they're going it seems like FUG are just totally backed into a corner.

SIU said in one of the FAQs that he was thinking about writing another series about Han Yuri's ascent, I think FUGs history would be pretty cool to see too. Maybe Baam isn't the first irregular they've had as a slayer candidate. Maybe they've had dozens and every time they get one they all just pray to god he doesn't die on the ascent, or Zahard rankers don't find him and murder his rear end, or that they have a change of heart halfway up. Maybe they started out as a friendly and nice and shouneny anti-hero organisation, and hundreds/thousands of years of failure have turned them into the jaded take-no-chances give-no-quarter outfit they are now. Revolution ain't easy, or pretty.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The thing that gets me is that I'm pretty certain that if they had just asked Baam nicely and became friends with him, he would have helped them willingly. I mean, Zahard has already sent agents to attack some of his friends

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

People seem to forget that Baam is not a complicated character(not a bad one, but not that complex either).

Sure he could kick alot of rear end, but if that gets one of his friends killed indirectly he would absolutely not do that. That alone would be enough to tie a guy like that down.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Come on now, Mr. Coffee said in the flashback that Baam had been deliberating for 4 days. He clearly had more reasons for joining FUG than the hostage thing, or he would've turned them down outright. This is just FUG forcing the issue.

Also, Baam getting strong enough to take on Zahard doesn't necessarily mean that he could take on FUG. Last chapter revealed that Zahard's contract is FUG's real obstacle, which implies that they could have enough combined combat power to kill him already- just no irregulars. With no such special protections, Baam could still be threatened by FUG.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cathair posted:

Also, Baam getting strong enough to take on Zahard doesn't necessarily mean that he could take on FUG. Last chapter revealed that Zahard's contract is FUG's real obstacle, which implies that they could have enough combined combat power to kill him already- just no irregulars. With no such special protections, Baam could still be threatened by FUG.

Not necessarily the only obstacle. While the contract states they can't attack Zahard, couldn't they work on destabilizing his government? Seems to me that they don't have the manpower to take on Zahard's cronies either, which is why they want to cut off the head of the beast directly.

Also I'm REALLY wondering why she's telling Wangnan all of this stuff. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want people to know.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Slime posted:

Not necessarily the only obstacle. While the contract states they can't attack Zahard, couldn't they work on destabilizing his government? Seems to me that they don't have the manpower to take on Zahard's cronies either, which is why they want to cut off the head of the beast directly.

Also I'm REALLY wondering why she's telling Wangnan all of this stuff. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want people to know.

Hopefully it'll turn out to be part of FUG's manipulations rather than just an infofump.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I can see it being like that. We've seen some stuff in previous chapters that look like Wagnan is going to be a part of FUG's plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012

Slime posted:

The first thing Wangnan says to Viole after hearing all that stuff is "You're not a bad guy, if you were my friend I would lay down my life for you, lets pass the next test."
And remember that Hwa Ryun is the person who came up with the plan of Rachel "killing" Baam so that Baam's friends would take her up the tower.
She's a schemer is what I'm saying.