Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Slip posted:

So I have a question. Was there any actual motivation for most of the things he did, specifically with him forcing the girl to strip, other than "Oh, the other guy did it so I should too?" And what, exactly, was the motivation for the original one then? Or is there some subtle detail I'm missing? Because that lack of motivation honestly broke the movie for me, and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it because of that.

That's like the whole point of the movie The motivation for him doing basically anything was either (At the start) to kill himself and replace the 'original' or (later) to undo all of his dumbass stuff early one. The other reading is basically the dude is the first intelligent timetravel protagonist who realizes if he doesnt set everything up, there will be two of him running around and stuff will get messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Slip posted:

So I have a question. Was there any actual motivation for most of the things he did, specifically with him forcing the girl to strip, other than "Oh, the other guy did it so I should too?" And what, exactly, was the motivation for the original one then? Or is there some subtle detail I'm missing? Because that lack of motivation honestly broke the movie for me, and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it because of that.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Hector 2 comes out of the machine, he's told to make sure that Hector 1 gets up to the machine exactly as before so as not to create a paradox. Luckily, he already knows what will make Hector 1 get up to the machine, so the best option is to make sure that those things happen. He forces the girl to strip, a) because that's what makes Hector 1 walk down towards the forest to investigate in the first place, and b) because he's terrified that if things don't go exactly the same as before, universe-ending poo poo might happen. See how frantic he is when he's holding her hostage, he's absolutely bricking it.

As for why those specific things happen? There's no way you could ever find out. Physically, that time loop is closed and forever. You would never be able to un-pick it and find out how it formed. The weird poo poo that happens is just the equilibrium of events that results in a stable, non-paradoxical time loop.

Timecrimes is one of my favourite movies :)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

What is it called when one character does a thing, and another character thinks the first one did something different, and due to that mixup there is comedy? I know Fraiser and Modern Family use it all the time.

Dramatic irony.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

scary ghost dog posted:

Dramatic irony.

I thought there was another term for it, like for that specific gag.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

You might be thinking of the term "comedy of errors."

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009

Leovinus posted:

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Hector 2 comes out of the machine, he's told to make sure that Hector 1 gets up to the machine exactly as before so as not to create a paradox. Luckily, he already knows what will make Hector 1 get up to the machine, so the best option is to make sure that those things happen. He forces the girl to strip, a) because that's what makes Hector 1 walk down towards the forest to investigate in the first place, and b) because he's terrified that if things don't go exactly the same as before, universe-ending poo poo might happen. See how frantic he is when he's holding her hostage, he's absolutely bricking it.

As for why those specific things happen? There's no way you could ever find out. Physically, that time loop is closed and forever. You would never be able to un-pick it and find out how it formed. The weird poo poo that happens is just the equilibrium of events that results in a stable, non-paradoxical time loop.

Timecrimes is one of my favourite movies :)

Hm. It's been two years since I've seen it, so I may have to go back and give it another go. I guess I understand why Hector 2 is repeating events out of fear, but I never understood why the original Hector would force a girl to strip in the first place. It seemed out of character for him, and the idea that it simply can't be explained, even if the reasonable explanation is that there's another loop we'll never know about, has always bugged me.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Slip posted:

Hm. It's been two years since I've seen it, so I may have to go back and give it another go. I guess I understand why Hector 2 is repeating events out of fear, but I never understood why the original Hector would force a girl to strip in the first place.

Yeah, it's a mindfuck. That's what I love about the movie - trying to comprehend exactly why things are happening means you have to switch your point of reference and think about it in ways you're not wired to. Like, in this case, you're sort of thinking of Hector 2 and the original masked man Hector 1 sees as different entities, like Hector 2 is just copying the things the original guy was doing. But there is no "original guy", it's always Hector 2, the same person. It fucks with your sense of causality because cause and effect become the exact same thing, so the only solution it's possible to come to is "Hector 2 does things because Hector 2 does them". If it bugs you, it's because it's supposed to - it's an exploration of the more incomprehensible metaphysics of time travel. It's not meant to have a satisfying answer. You can't even really say that an "original loop" exists in any meaningful sense. It always has been and always will be exactly as it happens in the movie.

I always loved the similar parts in Timesplitters Future Perfect where you'd run into your future self, who'd give you a key to get to the next area. You'd use it, and later in the level you'd give the item to your past self so he could get to the next area. The question of "where did the key come from?" isn't meant to be answered, it's meant to pick at your brain.

Edit: Ah, here's what I was looking for. The situation we're talking about is the bootstrap paradox. Information exists in the timeloop without having ever been created.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Aug 14, 2012

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Elendil004 posted:

I've just heard it called a farce, but after reading the wiki that doesn't sound right at all.

InferiorCatwoman
Apr 27, 2007
There may have been an incident with a kitchen implement and his hand... the implement may have been a sandwich toaster and I may have introduced his hand to it.

Decrepus posted:

I've just heard it called a farce, but after reading the wiki that doesn't sound right at all.

Farce is correct, I think.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
I know The Shining has been discussed quite a bit already, but I remember arguing with buddies in the early 90's about a scene in the beginning of the movie that was later (obviously) confirmed as a "goof" by imdb.

The helicopter's shadow can be seen in the bottom right hand corner, during the opening sequence. (This goof only appears in the un-matted print.)

Being a young stoner with a wild imagination, I always tried to convince my buddies it was supposed to represent some kind of over watch. As though the owner of the Overlook knows what goes on there, and is always watching.

Invader Mat has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Aug 16, 2012

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The very little pause Ed Harris gives in The Truman Show when he's answering Truman's question "Who are you?".

"I am the Creator.

Of a television show."

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

The very little pause Ed Harris gives in The Truman Show when he's answering Truman's question "Who are you?".

"I am the Creator.

Of a television show."

His name was Christoph. Christoph is God.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Christoph posted:

His name was Christoph. Christoph is God.

And Truman is the only True Man on that island. Everyone else is pretending.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

The Heckler posted:

The Total Recall commentary is just as good. Arnie is drunk yet again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncR2_pnzngM

Haha, this is great. He just narrates each scene without adding anything. "Und here I am vurking at my job as a construction vurker." "Now here is ze gross scene vere I remove ze bug from my nose und it is really gross, it is a great scene."

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Polaron posted:

And Truman is the only True Man on that island. Everyone else is pretending.

And "cue the sun" is the movie version of "light there be light."

It's one of my favorite movies, there are lots of great little details in there. All the people in Truman's life are named after actors: Marlon, Meryl, Lauren, Angela. Ditto for the street names -- Lancaster Square and things like that.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

In the first Scream movie the principal is alone in his office at one point and hears something in the hallway. He opens the door and in the hallway there's a janitor moping the floors wearing a wide striped green and red knitted sweater and a fedora, The principal then say something like "Oh, it's just you Fred!". This being of course a reference to Freddy from nightmare on elm street who wore the same outfit and worked as a janitor until he got killed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not just that, but it was Wes Craven who directed both Scream and the first Nightmare on Elm Street. There's also a line in Scream about how the sequels to Nightmare sucked, which most of them did (part 3 was cool).

Reference: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117571/fullcredits#cast

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Not just that, but it was Wes Craven who directed both Scream and the first Nightmare on Elm Street. There's also a line in Scream about how the sequels to Nightmare sucked, which most of them did (part 3 was cool).

Reference: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117571/fullcredits#cast

Also there was a scream in Nightmare on elmstreet

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Haha, this is great. He just narrates each scene without adding anything. "Und here I am vurking at my job as a construction vurker." "Now here is ze gross scene vere I remove ze bug from my nose und it is really gross, it is a great scene."

In the commentary for the film Friday Night Lights, the author of the book is basically doing this for the first quarter of the movie, and Peter Berg (the director) chimes in with 'Uh, I think anybody who's listening to this has already seen the film'.

I appreciated it. :v:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

bat duck posted:

In the first Scream movie the principal is alone in his office at one point and hears something in the hallway. He opens the door and in the hallway there's a janitor moping the floors wearing a wide striped green and red knitted sweater and a fedora, The principal then say something like "Oh, it's just you Fred!". This being of course a reference to Freddy from nightmare on elm street who wore the same outfit and worked as a janitor until he got killed.

As I recall, "Fred" was played by Robert Englund, the original Freddy Kruger.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Look a few posts up chief.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Alaemon posted:

And "cue the sun" is the movie version of "light there be light."

I clearly need to go back and watch this movie again. All of this went over my head.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

In The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly there's a scene where they are walking through a forest and get ambushed by some soldiers. The camera then pans over to reveal a massive fortification teeming with soldiers. It would seem like something they would have noticed long before getting ambushed, but Sergio Leone filmed on the principle that things didn't exist until they were shown on camera.

Going off topic a bit, in the first season and part of the second season of Scrubs the Janitor is never shown interacting with any other main character other than JD. They had originally planned to reveal in the series finale that the Janitor was just a figment of JD's imagination, but dropped the idea once the show got renewed for a third season.

Edit: Just remembered another great detail from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and probably many of Sergio Leone's other films. All voices are dubbed over, so during filming some actors spoke Spanish and others spoke English. He would even change the lines between filming and voice recording to purposely keep the lips from matching the words.

Mu Cow has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Aug 22, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mu Cow posted:

Going off topic a bit, in the first season and part of the second season of Scrubs the Janitor is never shown interacting with any other main character other than JD. They had originally planned to reveal in the series finale that the Janitor was just a figment of JD's imagination, but dropped the idea once the show got renewed for a third season.

Not entirely true. They did plan for him to be a figment of JD's imagination, but he starts interacting with other people about halfway into the first season.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
More Bladerunner. There is so much of this I should make a masive post.

In the directors cut, the final cut, the artificial owls eyes reflect light and so do the eyes of the replicants.

In the final cut Deckord is obviously meant to be a replicant but there is a bunch of other little things that also support the idea. Like, If you watch him closely you'll notice he drinks about ten times more than anyone else.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A History of Violence:

The scene where Ed Harris' character comes into the diner and has a very innocuous conversation with Tom Stall, and then very calmly and deliberately says "Joey."
The very brief panic-stricken glance Stall throws him is perfect.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Two Finger posted:

A History of Violence:

The scene where Ed Harris' character comes into the diner and has a very innocuous conversation with Tom Stall, and then very calmly and deliberately says "Joey."
The very brief panic-stricken glance Stall throws him is perfect.

Could you explain this for people who haven't seen the movie?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Here's a clip of the scene on youtube. Specifically happens about one minute in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It's kind of hard without giving away a big part of the movie, but suffice it to say that he never expected to see Ed Harris' character again, and being called Joey shook him up big time. It really, really shows in that very, very brief glance he gives.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Janitor actually interacts with Elliott once while he was still meant to be a figment of JD's imagination on Scrubs.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Aug 23, 2012

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

tobu posted:

More Bladerunner. There is so much of this I should make a masive post.

In the directors cut, the final cut, the artificial owls eyes reflect light and so do the eyes of the replicants.

In the final cut Deckord is obviously meant to be a replicant but there is a bunch of other little things that also support the idea. Like, If you watch him closely you'll notice he drinks about ten times more than anyone else.

You could do a whole thread on Bladerunner. I think at one point there was one in CD.

Bladerunner is the best movie :allears:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Please do more Bladerunner! I love that film! Or if anyone has the link I'd love to read it

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Aphrodite posted:

The Janitor actually interacts with Elliott once while he was still meant to be a figment of JD's imagination on Scrubs.
Part of the reason they ditched the idea, which is great because the janitor got a lot of actual development with Dr. Cox. He even gets his own episodes occasionally.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Part of the reason they ditched the idea, which is great because the janitor got a lot of actual development with Dr. Cox. He even gets his own episodes occasionally.

The Brain Trust is the best thing to come out of the later seasons.

(I mean the good Brain Trust with Ted and The Todd, not the original with Crazy-Eyes Margo and Troy...not that Troy didn't have his moments either.)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

tobu posted:

[...]Bladerunner[...]
Hate to get :spergin: on ya, but that's in every version of the movie. It's not a post-production effect either, it was done on set using a beam splitter (basically a series of mirrors that reflect light back into the camera). The reason why Deckard has this at one point is because Harrison Ford happened to walk into where the light was being reflected (its a scene between him and Sean Young right after she's killed Leon).

"Blade Runner" still has a mind-boggling amount of detail to it, though. Ridley Scott actually got someone to design futuristic magazines that could be in prop newstands.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to start a derail but is the Bluray version of Bladerunner any good? I've put off buying a larger full HD TV for some time now. Seeing Bladerunner in HD might just push me over the edge.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't want to start a derail but is the Bluray version of Bladerunner any good? I've put off buying a larger full HD TV for some time now. Seeing Bladerunner in HD might just push me over the edge.

Yes! I sat mesmerized just by the scene where Gaff and Deckard land on top of the police station building.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Shai-Hulud posted:

It certainly is! There's a new Blu-Ray coming this fall that's not really worth getting, but if you can find it, get the 5-disc version that came out in 2007 that contains five versions of the film (1982 theatrical and European cuts, the 1992 director's cut, the 2007 'Final Cut', and the workprint) plus a great four-hour documentary.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I love Blade Runner and there's a great book, Future Noir, that details the making of it. For subtle moments, I love that Chu has a bar code tattoo on his face.

Also, at one point Tyrell was meant to be a Replicant and the real Tyrell was kept in suspended cryogenic freezing, I guess until he could find a cure for an ailment, Batty then killed the real Tyrell and Sebastian in anger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robert Denby posted:

It certainly is! There's a new Blu-Ray coming this fall that's not really worth getting, but if you can find it, get the 5-disc version that came out in 2007 that contains five versions of the film (1982 theatrical and European cuts, the 1992 director's cut, the 2007 'Final Cut', and the workprint) plus a great four-hour documentary.

Seriously, just get the Final Cut, though. Blade Runner is a slow-burn movie as it is. No matter how much you like it, you're not going to gain some massive new insight into it by watching five different versions of it, and the Final Cut is the best version. Or, at the very least, it's the only one where Ridley Scott had complete artistic control.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Aug 24, 2012