Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Downloaded something for 5 minutes. Now it says corrupted game files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There have been plenty of midnight releases before. Darksiders 2 unlocked first now it's time for Sleeping Dogs. 50% to go :argh: alphabetical order

I don't see the hi-res DLC pack available yet. :(

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

Downloaded something for 5 minutes. Now it says corrupted game files

Same here (it was decrypting/unpacking), and validating files does nothing. Time to Re-download!

Checking the steam forums, apparently this is required:

"Restart steam; it will say "Update required" for sleeping dogs."

Welp.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is anyone else unable to make it go fullscreen? It automatically switches back to windowed whenever I try to change it.

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Don't uninstall unless you want to risk not being able to redownload it for a while. Says "no connection" right now.

Salmon, the Wise Fish
Jun 28, 2004
Yeah corrupted game files. Will redownloading actually fix this?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Restart Steam and apparently an update will resolve the issue. I guess I'm lucky since I managed to start the second download with no issues.

vvvvv Any chance a -fullscreen flag would work?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got the corrupted files thing, then I restarted Steam, ran it again, and it said completing installation. Then it launched.

But it only does loving windowed mode :argh:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Has anyone else who got the "e-mail but no key" thing from GMG gotten a key yet?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

SMP posted:

Has anyone else who got the "e-mail but no key" thing from GMG gotten a key yet?

Looks like no. I haven't, and there's plenty of people on their forums complaining about the same thing. I've had my order in for a few weeks now, and I don't think I'll be using this site again after this, especially if they can't even update us about the delay after saying they were sending keys out 'shortly'. At least it was cheaper there, I suppose.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
If anyone has Just Cause 2 the game unlocks a Rico outfit that gives a bonus to hijacking. :allears:

No High res texture DLC on the PC yet, but so far it's looking like a good version of the game. Mouse control in menus, you can autoswitch between KB+M and a controller, lots of video options and a built-in benchmark mode. Seems quite solid so far.

edit: You can also skip most of the opening movies for AMD, Square, all of the middle ware. That right there earns my undying love for the developers.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
Anyone else encounter what seems to be a game-breaking bug? After the opening cutscene, you and your bud Naz are running from the cops. You have to stay on Naz or else you fail the mission. Thing is, midway through the chase Naz just stops. You can't proceed without him because that's losing your target (him). But if you stay with him, you fail the mission.

Seems like a really lame end to what I was anticipating to be at least an hour of fun gaming.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Looks like no. I haven't, and there's plenty of people on their forums complaining about the same thing. I've had my order in for a few weeks now, and I don't think I'll be using this site again after this, especially if they can't even update us about the delay after saying they were sending keys out 'shortly'. At least it was cheaper there, I suppose.

Yeah, this is not leaving me wanting to buy more things from GMG. When having had your order in for about three weeks leaves you getting the game later than people buying it the day of release, that doesn't make repeat customers of a lot of folks. I was really looking forward to playing some Sleeping Dogs tonight, but apparently I decided I wanted to buy this game too early.

Valen posted:

Mouse control in menus, you can autoswitch between KB+M and a controller, lots of video options and a built-in benchmark mode. Seems quite solid so far.

All these features leave me sure I made the right choice getting it on PC, at least.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Renzian posted:

Anyone else encounter what seems to be a game-breaking bug? After the opening cutscene, you and your bud Naz are running from the cops. You have to stay on Naz or else you fail the mission. Thing is, midway through the chase Naz just stops. You can't proceed without him because that's losing your target (him). But if you stay with him, you fail the mission.

Seems like a really lame end to what I was anticipating to be at least an hour of fun gaming.

I remember something like that happening in the Quick Look for the game on GiantBomb. I believe if you hang out around the guy for a little bit the pathfinding error eventually fixes itself.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Downloading the High-res pack now. Its 3.7 gigs. Might as well do it now even though I'm dying to play. I also bought the retro pack but not the Top Dog since its only an XP and Face point boost.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You can get the HD textures off Steam already, they're a 3GB download.

e:f;b

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
If you're not seeing the high res pack on the DLC page, just F5/refresh it. Showed up for me after that.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Frunk posted:

I remember something like that happening in the Quick Look for the game on GiantBomb. I believe if you hang out around the guy for a little bit the pathfinding error eventually fixes itself.

Tried that. He stayed still even as the cops caught up to us and then we got arrested, thus failing the mission.

How long do you think it'll be before a patch gets released fixing this?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Renzian posted:

I had the same problem. Found out if you can run fast enough, you can hit the next cut scene before the 20 second timer hits. Just keep running straight past him and out that door.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
That's really unfortunate. I'm glad you found a workaround but here's hoping they push out an update sometime soon this week, because I'm sure the developers have known about the issue for a while now if it was still present and noted in the preview builds.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

CaptCommy posted:

I had the same problem. Found out if you can run fast enough, you can hit the next cut scene before the 20 second timer hits. Just keep running straight past him and out that door.

Thanks a ton! Fixed it right up :)

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Has anyone else run into a bug where everything outside of the characters and the objects they directly interact is just a giant blue gradiant, followed by a crash as soon as you're put in control of your character? I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti, if that matters.

Salmon, the Wise Fish
Jun 28, 2004

The Easy Rider posted:

Has anyone else run into a bug where everything outside of the characters and the objects they directly interact is just a giant blue gradiant, followed by a crash as soon as you're put in control of your character? I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti, if that matters.

using that same exact card and not having that issue, sorry :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Easy Rider posted:

I've got the same thing on a 6970. Attempting to see if the High Res textures fixes that.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Another bug I found is that even if you rebind your movement keys to something besides WASD driving a car and navigating any menus still only respond to WASD movement, which kind of sucks because they don't properly handle rebinding like MP3 and some other ports.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Easy Rider posted:

I have that card and don't have that problem.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Played about an hour and beat the tutorial stuff and accessed the open world. Fun game so far. The melee combat isn't as smooth as Arkham but it still has lots of fun combinations. I like grabbing an enemy, dashing, and throwing them into another one. I mostly like the pointless hardboiled film stuff like washing my face in the sink and staring at myself in the mirror.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hah, I just heard an advertisement on the radio for Panau. Along with the Rico outfit, it's nice to see some cross-property promotion like that :v:

Edit: Also, I think my fullscreen problem was because of my multi-monitor software (Actual Multiple Monitors). I turned it off and now the game works fine.

Using the arrow keys for cell phone stuff is a little awkward, but I guess it's actually a little better than with a controller, since you can keep your left hand on WASD to keep walking around while messing with your phone. The mouse sensitivity while on a vehicle also seems kinda hosed, but apart from that, the mouse/keyboard controls seem pretty decent.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 14, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What is Panau advertising? Tourism? Because I think Rico turned half the military into a smoking crater!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming some Sleeping Dogs on PC for a few hours. :toot:
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
This looks beautiful, urgh, this stupid need to sleep and wake up early! Loving the care they put into the menu and the first time setup is a nice touch, so many games just dump you into a tutorial or whatever these days before you can change the settings.

Man, can't wait to wreck people in this.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I am really excited to play this game but this game slows my computer to an absolute crawl and chokes and freezes every time I start a new game and go to the loading screen.

Edit: Nevermind, disabling my second monitor solved the issue.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 14, 2012

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm going to an airport later to kidnap a green-eyed Chinese girl. Anyone want to join me?

Click for bigger!

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 118 days!
Impressions:

1. I like all the options for horrible violence. I'm fond of grabbing peds and ramming their heads into walls repeatedly.

2. PC control scheme seems awful, and with the right mouse serving so many functions it seems very hard to really fix it.

3. Didn't someone say there's a way to turn off the awful locked camera when driving? I can't stand it, help.

4. They really didn't do that good of a job with Hong Kong, not really. I know nobody gives a poo poo but I would prefer pure Cantonese or nothing, not this American- Chinese phrase-dropping poo poo.

Now that I'm out in the world the game has some promise but this game is not as comfortable to jump into for players of this type of game as you might expect. Please, tell me the camera lock option I'm overlooking...

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Well, I pinpointed the problem with the blue gradient and no other objects rendering; apparently, it occurs only if you start the game after modifying the graphics settings. If you leave them untouched, you're good.

Also, what is the point of the Top Dog Silver Pack? Is it that hard to earn sufficient XP for the useful unlocks? Does all the good content comes before the last mission or something along those lines without it?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

4. They really didn't do that good of a job with Hong Kong, not really. I know nobody gives a poo poo but I would prefer pure Cantonese or nothing, not this American- Chinese phrase-dropping poo poo.

That's a shame, I'm pretty interested in this game but since I live here I imagine this poo poo would annoy me a lot.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

3. Didn't someone say there's a way to turn off the awful locked camera when driving? I can't stand it, help.

Weird, I didn't really change anything and I don't have a locked camera. My problem is that it's way too sensitive and doesn't seem to respect your setting in the menus. Just a slight twitch will cause my view to swing a hard 90 degrees; I actually find it easier to leave my hand off the mouse so I don't lose my view while driving.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Oceanbound posted:

That's a shame, I'm pretty interested in this game but since I live here I imagine this poo poo would annoy me a lot.

I remember in trailers and game play demos just hearing a lot of 'poke guy' bandied around during English parts which didn't fit. The ambient barks sound OK from what I've heard. I wish they would just stick to English English and accept the weakness of not being able to record a native speaker doing lines because that doesn't bother me. It's when they start muddying the waters that it seems gimmicky.

Visually, though, the game looks spot on for representing the city.

Living in HK, besides parking in the store, I can imagine any combination of those variables occurring.
vvvv

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 14, 2012

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
First hour trip report: ran out of my apartment naked, knocked an old man's lunch out of his hands, stole a van, parked it inside of a store where I calmly purchased an energy drink. goty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, this has vastly exceeded my expectations.

Bad:

* Music is awful, but probably authentic?

* Camera lock is painful on foot and in vehicle, but if you teach yourself not to fight it, it ends up working well enough.

Good:

* Melee combat is varied and visceral.

* On PC, anyways, gunplay is responsive and reasonably satisfying.

* Vehicle handling is slightly less realistic than GTAIV in simulation mode, but certainly better than SR3, for instance.

* Atmosphere (though granted, I can neither read nor speak Cantonese).

* Pretty much everything else I've encountered so far.

Definitely sleeper hit of the year, so far.

• Locked thread