Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Nameless Dread posted:

What are some good movies about satan or the antichrist? Or even demons, whatever.

I saw The Omen again and remembered how fascinating the idea is. I've seen a few others, but i can't remember any of the names. I like the ones that concentrate on the religious / horror part.
Rosemary's Baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

csidle posted:

I know Cube is more of a puzzle film than it is isolation, but in general films that are confined to one space are quite fascinating to me. Hell, even stuff like Murder on the Orient Express and Murder by Death suits the bill, and Event Horizon.

Somewhat reasonably, almost any film I can think of that deals with isolation is a horror film. Moon is the only one I can think of that deals with the boredom or slowly going crazy in a dramatic manner. Other examples: Cube (already mentioned), 1408, The Thing, Bug, The Shining, Blindness, Right At Your Door, Lifeboat, Repulsion and most recently Buried and Pontypool which both play out in very small environments.

Also, pretty much anything Brad Anderson has directed recently are psychological thrillers that take place in few or small spaces - Session 9, The Machinist, Transsiberian, Vanishing on 7th Street.

Films that pretty much take place in one area and are more cerebral and less traditional horror: Rope, The Man From Earth, The House of Yes, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Big Kahuna, Swimming With Sharks, The Last Supper, My Dinner with André, Persona, Interview, Tape (probably the most overlooked Linklater film), Solaris (both versions), Primer, Barton Fink, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Oh wow, you're the best.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kuddles posted:

Somewhat reasonably, almost any film I can think of that deals with isolation is a horror film.

Submarine films are a whole subcategory of isolation films, most of which don't deal with horror (although some do!)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

kuddles posted:

Somewhat reasonably, almost any film I can think of that deals with isolation is a horror film. Moon is the only one I can think of that deals with the boredom or slowly going crazy in a dramatic manner. Other examples: Cube (already mentioned), 1408, The Thing, Bug, The Shining, Blindness, Right At Your Door, Lifeboat, Repulsion and most recently Buried and Pontypool which both play out in very small environments.

Also, pretty much anything Brad Anderson has directed recently are psychological thrillers that take place in few or small spaces - Session 9, The Machinist, Transsiberian, Vanishing on 7th Street.

Films that pretty much take place in one area and are more cerebral and less traditional horror: Rope, The Man From Earth, The House of Yes, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Big Kahuna, Swimming With Sharks, The Last Supper, My Dinner with André, Persona, Interview, Tape (probably the most overlooked Linklater film), Solaris (both versions), Primer, Barton Fink, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
This list is missing The Exterminating Angel which is perhaps the best movie of this kind.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This list is missing The Exterminating Angel which is perhaps the best movie of this kind.

Also La Cabina, which is the best such film prominently featuring a big silly mustache.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I was looking on the Criterion Collection website (such a good website), and I'm very intrigued by Wong Kar-wai. Where should I start? It all looks good and even though it's not a Criterion selection, I'm intrigued by 2046.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I was looking on the Criterion Collection website (such a good website), and I'm very intrigued by Wong Kar-wai. Where should I start? It all looks good and even though it's not a Criterion selection, I'm intrigued by 2046.

In The Mood For Love is a good place to start. 2046 is a pseudo-sequel to that one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Chungking Express also good, assuming I enjoy In The Mood for Love?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nameless Dread posted:

What are some good movies about satan or the antichrist? Or even demons, whatever.

I saw The Omen again and remembered how fascinating the idea is. I've seen a few others, but i can't remember any of the names. I like the ones that concentrate on the religious / horror part.

Fallen is excellent, although you've probably already seen it.

I'm partial to Curse of the Demon (Night of the Demon outside the US) but it takes more of a rationality vs. the occult approach rather than an explicitly Christian mythos. Also it was screwed over by the studio and was intended to be far more ambiguous than it ended up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Chungking Express also good, assuming I enjoy In The Mood for Love?

I personally found it a little harder to get into than Mood, partially because of the way Wong Kar-Way shoots it. It's also really good, but it took me a few watches to appreciate.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I just watched The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, and as usual, it's got me interested in more films about Appalachia (or the Ozarks). I'm not necessarily after large-scale documentaries, so much as character studies, which TWWWWV is in a sense. Fiction or non-fiction, all good. Any suggestions?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Did you see the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries earlier this year? I thought that was really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985443/

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I did not, but now it's on my list.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Winter's Bone is a great Ozarks-set film about a teenage girl who has to track down her estranged meth-cook father when it turns out he was arrested, and put the family home up for bail bond before disappearing. I would also recommend White Lightnin' (2009) which is actually a fictionalised/grotesquely warped version of the life of Jesco White (yes, from TWWWWV, although you'll spot some large departures from reality later on).

EDIT: There's also Coal Miner's Daughter which is pretty well acclaimed but not something I've watched personally.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sissy Spacek is awesome in Coal Miner's Daughter.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'll give WL and Coal Miner's Daughter a go as well, thank you. I watched Winter's Bone and asked for recommendations for similarly themed films here maybe a month ago as well, funnily enough, but I definitely agree that it's on the right track.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Are there any good French thrillers that came out in the relative past that I might have missed? Watched Anthony Zimmer, Tell No One, Incendies and Cache recently and loved them all.

Looking for more recent stuff, within the last decade or two. I've already seen all the obvious choices from the 50s and 60.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Anything for Her is pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nameless Dread posted:

The Devil's Advocate
Angel Heart

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Loomer posted:

I just watched The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, and as usual, it's got me interested in more films about Appalachia (or the Ozarks). I'm not necessarily after large-scale documentaries, so much as character studies, which TWWWWV is in a sense. Fiction or non-fiction, all good. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you have seen it, but what about The Dancing Outlaw? As I recall, it was pretty much WWWWV (same people), only filmed in 1991

It also had a sub-par sequel

e; Reading the message board for this movie on IMDB and I see that some people believe a conspiracy that Jesco is Joe Bob Briggs. :stare:

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 15, 2012

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any great action movies I might have missed? Something in the vain of Drive would be awesome.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ulio posted:

Any great action movies I might have missed? Something in the vain of Drive would be awesome.
"Action movies" is a really big genre so I will just arbitrarily name action movies I enjoy which are underrated or underviewed or whatever according to my vague impressions of how people think about them. Some of these are classics that everyone has probably seen but after having seen someone recommend Trainspotting in the Netflix thread by introducing it as a cool film that nobody has ever heard of, I'm sort of fuzzy on what's part of the goon canon and what isn't.

Also I've included some movies with not a ton of action because, hey, Drive didn't have much action either.

So that was a very long introduction to this list of action movies arranged approximately from best to good:
Seven Samurai
Big Trouble in Little China
Black Dynamite
In Bruges
District 9
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Three Kings
Attack the Block
Escape from New York
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
The Good, The Bad, and The Weird
Demolition Man
Shoot 'Em Up
The International
The Hard Way
Miami Vice
Red
Strange Days

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice list thanks. Have heard of some of those, the obvious ones. Going to check out the other ones.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've seen my fair share of movies but I've never seen a single Woody Allen movie, or a part of one, or really know much about them at all. Any suggestions, especially for the ones on Netflix instant?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
All the streaming ones are good, although the only real classic in there is Sleeper I would say. Aside from that my favorites are Manhattan, Annie Hall, Take the Money and Run, Hannah and her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Bananas is funny too and What's Up, Tiger Lily? is good if you fast forward through the clips of The Lovin' Spoonful that the studio made him add or something.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

All the streaming ones are good, although the only real classic in there is Sleeper I would say. Aside from that my favorites are Manhattan, Annie Hall, Take the Money and Run, Hannah and her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Bananas is funny too and What's Up, Tiger Lily? is good if you fast forward through the clips of The Lovin' Spoonful that the studio made him add or something.

My all time favourite is Love and Death and you didn't even mention it! But for a beginner I'd suggest Manhattan, which is visually beautiful, has a great score and is 'typical' of his romance-comedy style, and then Sleeper for the non-stop absurdist comedy elements.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'd recommend Annie Hall as the most accessible Woody Allen movie, and probably the best one he's ever made. It came out in 1977, but it's still very funny, very relevant, and very influential on comedy writers and directors, especially for romantic comedies. If you watch Louis C.K.'s show Louie, you can see how he must be a huge Woody Allen fan, particularly of Annie Hall.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
No love for Crimes and Misdemeanors? I love that movie. It's not the usual wacky or funny Woody Allwn movie, but I love it all the same.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Of the Netflix movies, I liked Love and Death a lot, but it's probably not as accessible as a lot of his other stuff so maybe not the best for his first movie to watch.

What's Up Tiger Lilly is pretty hilarious. If you don't know what it is, he took a Japanese action movie and dubbed voices over it, changing the story. But for a more typical Woody Allen movie, I'd recommend Sleeper first.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just watched the Seventh Seal and it reminded me how much I love the motif of Death as a sentient, human-like entity. Any films that also feature this? No, no Bill and Ted, thanks. Any genre is fine, I just want the movies to be worthwhile.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

escape artist posted:

I just watched the Seventh Seal and it reminded me how much I love the motif of Death as a sentient, human-like entity. Any films that also feature this? No, no Bill and Ted, thanks. Any genre is fine, I just want the movies to be worthwhile.

Death Takes A Holiday seems an obvious suggestion.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

EC posted:

No love for Crimes and Misdemeanors? I love that movie. It's not the usual wacky or funny Woody Allwn movie, but I love it all the same.
It's not on streaming, though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Death Takes A Holiday seems an obvious suggestion.
As does Meet Joe Black, although that film has a mixed reaction so whether or not one finds it worthwhile is up in the air.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Meet Joe Black is twice as long as it needs to be, and while I rather like Brad Pitt as an actor he makes the most bland Death imaginable.

EDIT: Black Orpheus is another good one, although I don't think "Death" has any lines.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 19, 2012

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recommend Meet Joe Black mainly for the ending. The start is great, and features one of my favourite movie speeches about falling in love, and the ending is absolutely spectacular but the middle stretch is full of weird not-quite-slapstick and Claire Forlani justifying why she no longer has a career but the performance from Anthony Hopkins is fantastic throughout and has a fantastic payoff.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

escape artist posted:

Last Action Hero has Death from The Seventh Seal (played by Sir Ian McKellen) emerge from a movie screen and give advice to the protagonist. I consider it an unofficial sequel.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen Sleeper, but from what I have seen of the streaming ones, Broadway Danny Rose is my personal favorite.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Sleeper is really weird and funny. You wouldn't think "Woody Allen dystopic future/Benny Hill mashup" would be cool, but it inhabits this premise so well that it's pretty funny and charming. Also, it being set in The Future!! gives the Woody Allen character a new perspective on which to make his societal comments and jokes, so there's that.

Maybe Radio Days next? Annie Hall and Manhattan I'll have to wait until I can check them out from school. Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
I really enjoyed Inception and Drive, which I suppose are not really that similar to each other, but both movies left me with a feeling of "I need to own a copy of this" after watching them. Any recommendations from people who enjoyed those 2 movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

dundun posted:

I really enjoyed Inception and Drive, which I suppose are not really that similar to each other, but both movies left me with a feeling of "I need to own a copy of this" after watching them. Any recommendations from people who enjoyed those 2 movies?

Well, this is pretty tough. But similar to Inception (sort of, and I'm sure you've seen most of them):

Memento
The Prestige
Seven
Fight Club
Blade Runner
The Matrix

If you're interested more in the Dreams Vs. Reality aspect, then try the following, although they're all very deep and surreal:

Waking Life
Mulholland Drive
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Videodrome
A Scanner Darkly

You might also like:

Thief
Taxi Driver
Dog Day Afternoon
Vertigo
The Driver
Bronson
Blow Out
Death Proof
Marathon Man
The Conversation
The Road Warrior
Children of Men
The Usual Suspects
Snatch
The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Now, this isn't necessarily stuff that's entirely like Drive and Inception, some of it is very different, but if you liked those movies it's some more stuff you might also like.

• Locked thread