Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Binowru posted:

I used to listen to Phil Hendrie all the time when he was on the radio. "The Best of Phil Hendrie 2000" is still one of my all-time favorite comedy CDs. Unfortunately, it looks like the only place you can still get it is on Phil's website for $45 goddamn dollars.

e: Oh hey, it's also a digital download for the saner price of :20bux:. I highly recommend it.

It might be his best CD, though I find his material infinitely better in the long format.

Anything in the 1998 to 2000 era is probably his very best. I'm also quite fond of his '05 and '06 run, leading up to his "retirement". Two of his best characters, "reformed" pedophile Herb Swell and the enraged high school football coach Vernon Dozier, really hit their stride. Insanely funny stuff.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Production posted:

And if that works for you and you already like UYD and MBMBAM, go for Roderick on the Line. It will fit right in.

Roderick on the Line is quickly becoming my favorite podcast to listen to. It's just so consistently good. He's got so many good stories, grounded opinions, and a doggone nice voice that it's hard not to like.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Okay, I listened to one episode of Superego (3:13) and am utterly confused. What is this show about? I keep hearing that this is an improv comedy podcast but I can't see the improv. The format confuses me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can't see the improv? They're making jokes without a script, that's the improv. It doesn't all have to be taking words from the audience.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

toanoradian posted:

Okay, I listened to one episode of Superego (3:13) and am utterly confused. What is this show about? I keep hearing that this is an improv comedy podcast but I can't see the improv. The format confuses me.

All of it is improv. They have the situation (the Leffingwell grocers announcement, Buffham's fragrance counter, etc) and then they improvise around it. Were you expecting Drew Carey to announce each game and award points at the end?

Side note - Drew Carey's superego appearance as a caller to Heartlines is loving great. Click!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Superego IS fairly different in tone and pacing from most improv, or comedy shows in general for that matter. I didn't 100% get how it was constructed for a while, either, until I listened to one of the easter eggs. They improvise a ton of stuff and then cut out the gaps and tangents that don't work, so it ends up a tight, gloriously weird package.

As for the completed structure, Fil5000 has it; they begin with an idea of a character/situation and go hog wild from there. The "case study" framework is not important and the show isn't particularly "about" anything besides strange, impossible people :)

edit: for recommended episodes, I have had the most success starting people with Episode 3:10 for The Family Feud, as it's a little less eccentric/surreal (and with clearer punchlines/crescendos).

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 7, 2012

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yeah, I guess I'm just used to the style of improv where someone gives prompts and the rest act it out. Superego feels too tight, as if there's a script. The episode I watched isn't particularly funny either. What are the recommended episodes?

Also, I've been listening to The Unbelievable Truth and loving it. Are there any good podcasts with comedy panel shows? The only one I know is Do the Right Thing.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I need some Superego quotes for a thread title. It's such an eminently quotable podcast but I have such a lovely memory that I can't remember most of quotes. Right now I'm thinking of going with, "Let's make the beast with 3 backs and 2 sacks." It made me laugh just typing it.

All 23 Skiddoos.

Or "You Empty 'Em Dreamcatchers?" "You see that movie what's called Pray'day'der?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
We'll get tongue deep in a glass and balls deep in an rear end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Honestly my favourite Superego moment is the sketch that ends:
"Hey Milton!"
"Yeah Dupree?"
"You're a real kick in the dick"
That's a bad title though, don't use that.

e: Will you be a vessel?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm just used to the style of improv where someone gives prompts and the rest act it out. Superego feels too tight, as if there's a script. The episode I watched isn't particularly funny either. What are the recommended episodes?

There are a lot of recurring bits. In fact, I'd say all of the bits are recurring, but I'm not 100% sure on that. That doesn't mean you need to know anything but the basic premise, which is usually pretty obvious.

But yea, they have an outline for each bit and fill in all the details with improv. All the "prompts" or whatever else discussion happens off mic. As for which episode to listen to: literally any of them. I've listened to seasons 2 and 3 multiple times and while there are a few weak bits, I don't think there's one ep that I'd rate any lower than "good". 3:13 is a really good ep - Brown snow speeder squadron (this is Brown 7 - g-g-g-g-GHOST?!), Leffingwell grocers, Buffum's fragrance counter - so if you don't like it then I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm listening to 3:13 now and goddamn every line in the Brown Snow Speeder Squadron bit is loving hilarious. I dunno I think you just are never going to like the podcast.

e: to be fair, I am a pretty big Superego fanboy. Even more than I am a CBB fanboy. And I really, really, really like CBB.

e2: Was 3:13 the ep where PFT does Martin Leffingwell and says "I'm not saying I'm William Howard Taft fat, but I do alright"? Because that's another great line.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2012

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

The dynamic can be hard to take sometimes, but I wouldn't call it "pretty bad". I generally enjoy listening to it.

I suppose you're right, I listened for a really long time just because I like all the people and they would have interesting guests sometimes. They just don't have a good flow even after as many podcasts they've done so far.

One of my favorites, but I don't think it works without the voice and the fact that he just keeps repeating it over and over while Bond is trying to find out the details of his next mission.

YOU ARE THE VERY TICKETY TOCK OF BIG BEN'S COCK, SIR!

I wish I had a better memory for quotes, my favorite bit is spidermin two. It's the one with doc oc and MJ and rose butter, spidermin two? Also the movie what's called praydator?

e: to be fair, I am a pretty big Superego fanboy. Even more than I am a CBB fanboy. And I really, really, really like CBB.

Superego was one of the first podcasts I listened to when I first started listening to podcasts, it's still my favorite. I just wish they could produce more than they do (though I imagine the quality might suffer if that were to happen).

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 7, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Mr. Squishy posted:

"Hey Milton!"
"Yeah Dupree?"

Yeah that's one of mine too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0vrSbcubY&t=72s

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 7, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'd go with "NEXT STOP: HEAD ON COLLISION!" from the Amtrak sketches. Or "POOF! MENTALIST HOLMES!"

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Was "You seen that movie what's called Pradaydor?" from season 1? I heard some references to it in season 2 but I don't think I ever heard the original bit.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

"Hey Milton!"
"Yeah Dupree?"

I forget precisely how it went, but the hardest I've ever laughed at Milton & Dupree was:
"Hey Milton!"
"Yeah Dupree?"
"My wife and I just got one of those Model T automobiles!"
"Yeah? My wife just got her period!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Was "You seen that movie what's called Pradaydor?" from season 1? I heard some references to it in season 2 but I don't think I ever heard the original bit.

I think it's season 2 - I can't remember exactly when it was thouogh.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlQ8kIg7e4 Here it is, season 2 episode 2.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
it's a post-credits bit so I think a lot of people may have skipped it by shutting the episode off early

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One of my favourite bits of every show is the reading of the iTunes nicks, so those people get no sympathy from me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

One of my favourite bits of every show is the reading of the iTunes nicks, so those people get no sympathy from me.

The best one of those is when the guy shows up three times in a row. "How is he DOING that?"

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

it's a post-credits bit so I think a lot of people may have skipped it by shutting the episode off early

I've been listening past the credits the past few times I've relistened to it (I relisten to seasons 2 & 3 like every week or two, seriously) and I just don't remember hearing it. I mean, I listen to the youtube and it's very familiar, so I guess I've been hearing it passively while doing other stuff.

I do remember actively hearing the fan recreation of the bit with a child as the dad and the dad as the child (I assume), and the 2nd bit with those characters, but not the original one. Or maybe what I'm thinking of as the 2nd bit was the original.

e: I'm watching an interview with Matt Gourley and he confirms that Superego is indeed fully improvised - they talk about an idea as a group and then just go into it. The reason it sounds so tight and polished and unimprovised is because Gourley edits it to seem like it's exactly that.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 8, 2012

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I do remember actively hearing the fan recreation of the bit with a child as the dad and the dad as the child (I assume), and the 2nd bit with those characters, but not the original one. Or maybe what I'm thinking of as the 2nd bit was the original.

New No No, Dad's the Son now

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I'm a guest comedian this week on the Maximum Fun podcast International Waters. It's a game show where Jesse Thorn quizzes US & UK comedians about each other's pop culture.

http://www.maximumfun.org/international-waters/international-waters-episode-6-half-fictional-fluffy-cat-rabbits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I haven't listened to the newest one but I love International Waters. Check out the episodes with Janet Varney as a guest, she is my favorite, the one with Erin Gibson and Andy Daly is very loving hilarious as well. I'm sure this one is great.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
You absolutely killed it, Asterios.

"It turns GIRLS into douchebags!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asterios posted:

I'm a guest comedian this week on the Maximum Fun podcast International Waters. It's a game show where Jesse Thorn quizzes US & UK comedians about each other's pop culture.

http://www.maximumfun.org/international-waters/international-waters-episode-6-half-fictional-fluffy-cat-rabbits

You ruled on that, dude. I love International Waters to begin with but you were really good!

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Thank you both for the compliments! I was nervous about being on it because I love so much of what MaxFun puts out, so I'm happy to hear you guys liked it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

You Made It Weird is my new favorite podcast because it is a positive WTF with a genuinely nice person instead of a total dickhead.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Politicalrancor posted:

You Made It Weird is my new favorite podcast because it is a positive WTF with a genuinely nice person instead of a total dickhead.

I agree, I find myself listening to it more than WTF these days. It can get a little to obsessed with stand up at times, but you also get some real gems. The Chelsea Peretti ep was fantastic.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Maron episode was so good too, because Pete and Marc have such a different dynamic than a lot of other younger comics Marc talks to. I like all the stand up chat. And listen to the Nick Thune episode because its really good.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I like You Made It Weird and listen to all the episodes, but I have to say that the lucid dreaming, meditation and mushroom talk gets a little repetitive. It's great to see Pete as a 30-something man discovering that there's more to the world than religion but it's so loving LA and everyone basically has the same stance on it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I cannot confirm this, but I heard that Pete Holmes and Marc Maron once got into an argument and Pete ended it by saying "I'm gonna make an app that skips past the first 10 minutes of your podcast."

:iceburn:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Dancing Potato posted:

I like You Made It Weird and listen to all the episodes, but I have to say that the lucid dreaming, meditation and mushroom talk gets a little repetitive. It's great to see Pete as a 30-something man discovering that there's more to the world than religion but it's so loving LA and everyone basically has the same stance on it.

Being "so loving LA" is kind of the point of the show though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

You know, I really enjoyed the John Oliver WTF - mostly because you can almost hear Maron scrabbling for something horrible and traumatic in Oliver's past to latch on to, but there's just nothing there for him.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Binowru posted:

I cannot confirm this, but I heard that Pete Holmes and Marc Maron once got into an argument and Pete ended it by saying "I'm gonna make an app that skips past the first 10 minutes of your podcast."

:iceburn:

I think I've heard him say that before on YMIW. Or it could've been someone else on a completely different podcast. My memory is a cluster of fucks.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ugh, I FINALLY made a Superego thread.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Dancing Potato posted:

YMIW destroyed my ability to not see "so loving LA" chat across so many podcasts. Sure joke that other people's dreams are weird but then tell us your dream.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Has there been a post about The F Plus yet? Because if not, I might write something up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone bought James Adomian's comedy album? It's on Earwolf for $10 and I'm thinking of buying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I bought it but haven't heard it yet. Did see him perform three times in three different contexts during the week of Just For Laughs (standup show in Ottawa, something called CBC's The Debaters [a loosely styled debate against Andy Kindler re: "Is Vegas Awesome?"], the Sheriff of Nottingham at an alt-comedy show) in a single week, and he was a highlight at all of them.

If it's the same material as Ottawa, it's worth the dough in my opinion. He has a new and interesting point of view.

• Locked thread