Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Shimrod posted:

When I got my helmet camera I asked a cop if there would be any issues with me wearing it, when I got pulled over, etc. and he said I could do what I want with my stuff and it wouldn't be an issue. This is in Australia though.

No issues until you get a dickhead cop who doesn't want his face on camera for whatever reason. Then they tend to get grabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Snowdens Secret posted:

.... opposing insurance could request the footage and then use the inevitable hoonery recorded therein to paint you as a habitual offended .... I don't know if this ever actually happens or if it's pure urban myth

I learned most of what I know about law from lovely tv shows but I can't see anything outside of a serious criminal charge giving reason to subpoena your personal footage for things outside of the accident in question. This might apply if you are being charged with a DUI and go for a 'it was my one and only time defense' or something else that might expand the context of the hearing. However if you're dumb enough to not only ride drunk but record yourself doing so you're going to be dead or in jail eventually anyways.

The stop for a non-working light that was actually working seems a bit like fishing yes, but the stop for 'helmet protrusion' is valid. The law is there in most states. It's intended for spikes and other crazy poo poo that you can put on helmets, but it'd be up to a judge and not the officer to decide if that applied or not.

Anybody getting upset over the cop asking questions over address and other such things after the kid didn't have his license on him are just plain retarded. He almost definitely took the registration and address then matched to the state license on file and confirmed the photo/weight/build approximately matched the rider before letting him go with a warning.

Nobody likes to get hassled with a traffic stop, but I don't see anything about this stop as being out of line.

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine (re-entry rider) picked up a Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 for an absolute steal ($5,000) due to a salvage title. He's scheduled for the MSF but doesn't yet have his endorsement. He's been asking me to ride it around for him between a certified re-builder, his house, and a dealership for various tune-ups and paperwork so it will be properly titled, licensed, tuned-up and ready to go just as soon as he is.

During one of these rides a cop pulled behind this giant sport bike, saw a temp plate, ran it and found it registered to an non-endorsed rider. He pulled me over thinking I was the owner, and I showed him my drivers license with endorsement. A little bit of banter and he left with a smirk and 'I had to be sure'. It's now an amusing story we tell our friends and jokes about me getting a 'rent-a-licensed rider' patch for my jacket... it's not 20 pages of raging against the man on the internet. These guys are just trying to do their job.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Halo_4am posted:

During one of these rides a cop pulled behind this giant sport bike, saw a temp plate, ran it and found it registered to an non-endorsed rider. He pulled me over thinking I was the owner, and I showed him my drivers license with endorsement. A little bit of banter and he left with a smirk and 'I had to be sure'. It's now an amusing story we tell our friends and jokes about me getting a 'rent-a-licensed rider' patch for my jacket... it's not 20 pages of raging against the man on the internet. These guys are just trying to do their job.

When I got my first bike I only had a (motorcycle) learner's permit, which apparently hadn't propagated through the DMV computers, and got pulled over by a cop who did the same thing, ran plates, unendorsed rider. He was kind of a dick and seemed mad at finding out that I was riding legally, like he was going to put a stop to this great crime by catching an unlicensed rider. Cops are weird sometimes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There are assholes in every job circle. Police are just always in the public eye.
The one time I've been pulled over on my bike, the cop had been following me for a couple miles since I'd gotten off the ferry. I was doing 5-10 over the entire time, but he was cool about it. It probably helped that he was also a biker, I was ATGATT with a reflective vest and not riding like a dick.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Since when did riding without an endorsement become a primary offense? (Meaning they can pull you over for it.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Seriously?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crayvex posted:

Since when did riding without an endorsement become a primary offense? (Meaning they can pull you over for it.)
I can't imagine it being handled any differently in practice than running the plate on a car and finding the RO's driver's license being suspended or revoked, and seeing a driver generally matching the description of the RO at the wheel.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Um, riding without an endorsement is the same thing as driving a car without a license.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Guinness posted:

Um, riding without an endorsement is the same thing as driving a car without a license.
I think that the level of suspicion that would be deemed "reasonable" (and thus, cause for a stop) is rather easier to meet when there's a motorcyclist on a bike whose Registered Owner is not endorsed to do so.
A) The RO is a law breaker and is riding while not endorsed to do so.
B) The RO is a law abiding citizen and the bike may be stolen.

That's much harder to establish for a car, I think - people are (as a general rule) more inclined to loan out their cars, or be a passenger in their own car, while their car driving license is suspended or revoked.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 14, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Guinness posted:

Not in Michigan.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Crayvex posted:

Crayvex posted:

Not in Michigan.

2 seconds on Google tells me you're in the right thread.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_46351_46353---,00.html

The State of Michigan posted:

To operate a motorcycle on public roads, you must possess a valid Michigan driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. Operating a motorcycle without an endorsement can cost you--it is a violation resulting in court fines and up to a $300 Driver Responsibility fee.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Not seeing anything about whether it's a primary or secondary offense at that link.

As for

Guinness posted:

Crayvex is right, those aren't the same thing in Michigan; according to the DMV link that Halo_4am provided, the penalties are quite different.

257.904 Operating vehicle if license, registration certificate, or designation suspended,revoked, or denied
(a) For a first violation, by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both. Unless the vehicle was stolen or used with the permission of a person who did not knowingly permit an unlicensed driver to operate the vehicle, the registration plates of the vehicle shall be canceled by the secretary of state upon notification by a peace officer.
(b) For a violation that occurs after a prior conviction, by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both. Unless the vehicle was stolen, the registration plates of the vehicle shall be canceled by the secretary of state upon notification by a peace officer.

257.904a Operation of motor vehicle by unlicensed person as misdemeanor; penalty; second offense.
Sec. 904a. Any person, not exempt from license under this act, who shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of this state and who is unable to show that he or she has been issued a license to operate a motor vehicle by any state or foreign country valid within the 3 years preceding is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by a fine of not less than $50.00 nor more than $100.00, or both. Any person convicted of a second offense under this section shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than 2 nor more than 90 days, or by a fine of $100.00, or both.

An auto-canceled vehicle registration, jail time and a permanent record is a little heavier than

Operating a motorcycle without an endorsement can cost you--it is a violation resulting in court fines and up to a $300 Driver Responsibility fee.

Fines are a bit higher too. On the other hand, I can't actually find anything pertinent about penalties for operating a bike without the endorsement in that code, so who knows how accurate the DMV page's blurb is. v:v:v

To be serious, though, that's probably just covered elsewhere.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ugh... people.

Last year one of my coworkers, her husband and another friend all spontaneously went out and got some pretty nice Vespas for a good deal. Small 50cc guys. I told them all to take the BRC since it teaches you a lot and helps you be aware of danger and what to do when something happens.

They all said it sounded liek a good idea, but they werent into it and it was silly since they didnt need an M to ride a technically 49cc scooter on surface roads.

I shrugged and gave them some helmets and stuff my friends had given me that didnt fit me since they had all stopped riding.

Well it has been 1 year. They have ALL crashed into other cars, all three from behind by not seeing a car pulling out or not knowing how to handle a small emergency situation by keeping themselves out of it (and one just literally wasnt paying attention, hit the gas and just smashed into the back of a parked car). They all are probably not going to ride again.

Im trying to get them to sell me their 3 crashed scooters at a steep discount so I can fix them and get my wife a scooter to ride around.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Halo_4am posted:

2 seconds on Google tells me you're in the right thread.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_46351_46353---,00.html
As I was trying to say before, riding a motorcycle without an endorsement is NOT the same as driving a car without a license. I have several retarded friends who have been riding for 10+ years without an endorsement. One received the responsibility fine when he was pulled over for a different offense. AFAIK, riding without an endorsement in Michigan is not a primary offense therefore a cop can't pull you over under the suspicion that you may not have an endorsement.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crayvex posted:

AFAIK, riding without an endorsement in Michigan is not a primary offense therefore a cop can't pull you over under the suspicion that you may not have an endorsement.

They can't do that in Washington either, but they do.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ugh... people.

Last year one of my coworkers, her husband and another friend all spontaneously went out and got some pretty nice Vespas for a good deal. Small 50cc guys. I told them all to take the BRC since it teaches you a lot and helps you be aware of danger and what to do when something happens.

They all said it sounded liek a good idea, but they werent into it and it was silly since they didnt need an M to ride a technically 49cc scooter on surface roads.

I shrugged and gave them some helmets and stuff my friends had given me that didnt fit me since they had all stopped riding.

Well it has been 1 year. They have ALL crashed into other cars, all three from behind by not seeing a car pulling out or not knowing how to handle a small emergency situation by keeping themselves out of it (and one just literally wasnt paying attention, hit the gas and just smashed into the back of a parked car). They all are probably not going to ride again.

Im trying to get them to sell me their 3 crashed scooters at a steep discount so I can fix them and get my wife a scooter to ride around.

The plight of my people :(

And if they went out and bought actual Vespas they dropped quite a lot of dollars on a short-lived hobby. New Vespas are expensive.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

clutchpuck posted:

They can't do that in Washington either, but they do.

And automatic impound as of a few years ago, too.

TheBeatlesRock
Aug 11, 2005

What I don't know, I can fake. But cash only. I don't take checks from college students.
So, I'm kind of junky when it comes to reading missed connections on craigslist. I saw this one today about a motorcycle crash and it made me kind of sad. Even though I didn't know the details, you generally don't want to hear that this happened to someone.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/mis/3206467839.html

quote:

To that motorcyclist who wrecked on College Station and Research today
So sorry I couldn't hang around. Hope you have health insurance and that you're okay. Sorry that everyone sucks so bad and no one would get out of their cars to help you.
:(

Then, not 15 minutes later I was checking the local police blotter because I live in a crappy section of town and sometimes I find it really hilarious. Lo and behold, what do I come across:

http://onlineathens.com/blotter/2012-08-15/crash-victim-wanted-madison-count-theft

quote:

An Athens man wanted on a theft charge in Madison County wrecked his motorcycle Tuesday morning on College Station Road and fled the scene, Athens-Clarke police said.
Authorities intend to take out warrants charging Hubbard with driving with a suspended license and without insurance.

Guess that answers one of his/her questions. Dollars to donuts that guy wasn't wearing proper safety equipment either.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

TheBeatlesRock posted:

So, I'm kind of junky when it comes to reading missed connections on craigslist. I saw this one today about a motorcycle crash and it made me kind of sad. Even though I didn't know the details, you generally don't want to hear that this happened to someone.

To that motorcyclist who wrecked on College Station and Research today
So sorry I couldn't hang around. Hope you have health insurance and that you're okay. Sorry that everyone sucks so bad and no one would get out of their cars to help you.

Then, not 15 minutes later...
An Athens man wanted on a theft charge in Madison County wrecked his motorcycle Tuesday morning on College Station Road and fled the scene, Athens-Clarke police said.
This is perhaps the best post in this thread.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Crayvex posted:

As I was trying to say before, riding a motorcycle without an endorsement is NOT the same as driving a car without a license. I have several retarded friends who have been riding for 10+ years without an endorsement. One received the responsibility fine when he was pulled over for a different offense. AFAIK, riding without an endorsement in Michigan is not a primary offense therefore a cop can't pull you over under the suspicion that you may not have an endorsement.

I stand corrected :O I wonder if they could impound the bike if they wanted to be dicks about it? It seems a bit silly that you can get ticketed for something like that and then allowed to continue driving after the stop.

TheBeatlesRock posted:

CL vs Police Blotter

That is too funny. I now want to know what dumb poo poo led up to the crash in the first place.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Halo_4am posted:

I stand corrected :O I wonder if they could impound the bike if they wanted to be dicks about it? It seems a bit silly that you can get ticketed for something like that and then allowed to continue driving after the stop.

Either impound or a forced towing. The latter happened to the wife, $150 to be towed 3/4 of a mile. My example is with a car, but still.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

No issues until you get a dickhead cop who doesn't want his face on camera for whatever reason. Then they tend to get grabby.

I'm surprised that the cops don't just immediately tell people to take their helmets off so their face isn't obscured. They can require you to do that for identification, right? Same as if you were wearing a tightly closed hood or a balaclava or something. I haven't been pulled over on my bike, but I figure if I do someday I'd take off the helmet first thing just as a show of good faith.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sagebrush posted:

I'm surprised that the cops don't just immediately tell people to take their helmets off so their face isn't obscured. They can require you to do that for identification, right? Same as if you were wearing a tightly closed hood or a balaclava or something. I haven't been pulled over on my bike, but I figure if I do someday I'd take off the helmet first thing just as a show of good faith.

When I got pulled over I just took it off, the question I was asking is "Do I stand up and dismount or just sit on this thing."

I aksed the officer if I could get off it and he said "Sure, no problem. Nice seat by the way."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

The first time I got pulled over I shut the bike off, calmly dismounted, and put it on the centerstand. When the officer approached I asked if I should take my helmet off, since I had no loving idea, and he said yes.

The second time I got pulled over I believe I also dismounted and put the bike on the centerstand and then began removing my gloves and helmet.

It does make sense that they would need you to remove your helmet in order to compare your face to your ID.

Yeah that's right I've gotten pulled over for speeding on scooters :smugdog:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Glad I live in a place where they don't pull over bikes. Except for speeding/whoolies of course, but thats easy to do away from the police

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The first time I got pulled over I shut the bike off, calmly dismounted, and put it on the centerstand. When the officer approached I asked if I should take my helmet off, since I had no loving idea, and he said yes.

I had a city cop tell me to remain on my motorcycle. Then he asked me why I didn't have my registration out with my license.

It's under my seat, smartypants.

I don't think I ever removed my helmet for that stop. What Everett PD lacks in mental fitness, they must make up for in being armed.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's actually an interesting bit and I confess when I was stopped I wasn't sure what to do either. I pulled over, stopped the bike, kickstand, removed the helmet, and then kind of craned my neck around to watch him approach. In my opinion the more movement the more worries they'll have about pulling a weapon. Just leave hands on the handlebars or otherwise plainly visible (not in pockets, not rummaging through storage for registration) and wait until they come up.

In drivers ed they stressed you keep your hands on the steering wheel until the officer is at the window and has full visibility of your hands and other people in the vehicle. I guess it's just not as big of a deal on a motorcycle since they can see what you're up to for the most part.

Here's a top 10 list that's the best thing I can find... it doesn't seem to amount to much other than the author's opinion though.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-tips-if-you-get-pulled-over/13402.html

The next time I have an opportunity I swear I'm going to ask a cop about this.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
In a car, I've always turned off the engine, rolled down the window, and turned on the interior lights. If I had my gun on me, I put my license and reg on the dash and keep my hands on the wheel until the cop approaches. That's not the law, it's just a courtesy thing that can help put the cop at east and get you out of there faster/not get a gun pulled on you.

On a motorcycle it seems kind of courtesy to shut it off, remove your helmet and gloves, and keep your hands on the bars.

I don't know about staying on the bike though. Probably stay on. The less movement the better, since they're less liable to get spooked. Cops are like deer in that way.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Halo_4am posted:

Here's a top 10 list that's the best thing I can find... it doesn't seem to amount to much other than the author's opinion though.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-tips-if-you-get-pulled-over/13402.html

In that link, #2 says,
"...but no insurance and a fag-packet number plate won't help..."

I'm confused. I assume fag-packet means cigarette pack but how does that have anything to do with the license plate?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's a smaller plate than normal for them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Hopefully this doesn't happen to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH3wWVQZaq0

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Armyman25 posted:

Jesus Christ. Perhaps if you're pulled over at night and your buddy randomly lost control of their bike you should just stop and put your hands behind your head and hope it's enough.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Halo_4am posted:

Jesus Christ. Perhaps if you're pulled over at night and your buddy randomly lost control of their bike you should just stop and put your hands behind your head and hope it's enough.

"hidden hair gun!!!!" BLAM BLAM BLAM!!

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

The (ex)officer is actually going to prison, 10 years.
http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2010/06/22/Ex-Ottawa-Hills-officer-sentenced-to-10-years-released-on-bail.html

nsaP posted:

It's a smaller plate than normal for them.

Interesting. Next time I pull up beside a squid on a gixxer with a stretched swingarm should I tell him the police wont like his fag-packet shoved up under his fender?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Strife posted:

The less movement the better, since they're less liable to get spooked. Cops are like deer in that way.

For what it's worth, when I was a cop I preferred people to sit on the bike, engine off. I usually asked people to remove their helmet. Part of that is to compare the license to the face, but also because when I was a rookie a guy headbutted me with his helmet on prior to running away from the unreported stolen bike he was on.

He got away, so if nothing else you can remember that opening a fight with a helmeted headbutt isn't your worst play.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The (ex)officer is actually going to prison, 10 years.

He's been free on bail for two years after a major conviction awaiting an appeal. Very odd, more cop hookups.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Halo_4am posted:

I'm not really sure what they were pulled over for?

follow that camel!! posted:

He got away, so if nothing else you can remember that opening a fight with a helmeted headbutt isn't your worst play.

I don't condone crime or the fact that you got hurt or anything but thats a pretty badass way to escape

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ADINSX posted:

I'm not really sure what they were pulled over for?

Racing / display of speed / reckless driving probably.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

follow that camel!! posted:

For what it's worth, when I was a cop I preferred people to sit on the bike, engine off. I usually asked people to remove their helmet. Part of that is to compare the license to the face, but also because when I was a rookie a guy headbutted me with his helmet on prior to running away from the unreported stolen bike he was on.

Wouldn't hitting somebody with a helmet you hold in your hands be even more effective than a headbutt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Wouldn't hitting somebody with a helmet you hold in your hands be even more effective than a headbutt?

If you want them to get a good look at your face, sure.

• Locked thread