Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tendai posted:

Oh god oh god oh god cat comes home today I think I might be hyperventilating.

I spent all weekend worrying that she'll get under the bed and never come out.

The one you were posting about in the YOSPOS thread? She's lovely, did you come up with a name for her yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

The one you were posting about in the YOSPOS thread? She's lovely, did you come up with a name for her yet?
One and the same. So far her tentative name is Kiska.

Time to shower and then drive 40 minutes down a mountain for Operation: Get A Cat.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Get That Catte, Tendai!

I'm so happy for you, congrats on getting a catte! My old cat Jimmy was a random alley cat we rescued from a shelter, and he was amazing. Your cat will be amazing. Remember to post pictures! :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ires killed a toy today. I hadn't swept for a while, so that's fine. I swept. Then she killed another toy while I was sweeping.

She did that within an hour. Aren't puppies supposed to go crazy with chewing long before now? :doh: And congrats Tendai, I look forward to hearing about your cat.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ires killed a toy today. I hadn't swept for a while, so that's fine. I swept. Then she killed another toy while I was sweeping.

She did that within an hour. Aren't puppies supposed to go crazy with chewing long before now? :doh: And congrats Tendai, I look forward to hearing about your cat.

Haha, that totally sucks(but is funny as heck). I've forgotten, what breed is Ires? A mix of something?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Haha, that totally sucks(but is funny as heck). I've forgotten, what breed is Ires? A mix of something?

She's a "your guess is as good as mine". :v: I'm gonna ask AVID and the vet to update her to a Greyhound/Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix though. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure she's a moochhound/vacuum mix. If anything hits the floor while I'm cooking, she's all over it. We're working on that.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Our local no-kill calls dogs of questionable lineage Heinz57. It cracks me up whenever I come across it in their breed listings.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Cat is home and I am panicking as per post in the cat thread. It's been SO long since I brought a cat into the house that I didn't know and aiiiigh.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cohen turns 3 in a couple of weeks, so I wanted to take a few photos to compare her over the years.

Here are a few photos from today, and years past.

3 yrs old

2 yrs old

1 yr old

Have I mentioned how much I suck at stacking dogs?

And just for funzies, here's a photo of her as a 2 month old floordog.

My little puppy is all growed up! I don't think she'll be doing much more filling out at this point.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I was really excited to see this happen in a town near us:

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/08/pit-bulls-deemed-not-vicious-in-a-missouri-city/

quote:

Now that the city has removed it’s ordinance, Town and Country will be governed by St. Louis County’s “vicious dog ordinance”, which bases the vicious dog classification solely on a dog’s behaviour. This ordinance does not target any specific breeds.

Maybe if one snooty, self-aggrandizing, stupid suburb does it, others will follow!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

a life less posted:

My little puppy is all growed up! I don't think she'll be doing much more filling out at this point.

She is the prettiest dog. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
For all of you in the south, don't let your dogs eat Sago palms. They're extremely toxic and my coworker almost just lost her dog because he ate one. He's been at the e-vet since Sunday night and he's just now being released. By some miracle the vet managed to save his liver, but it usually results in liver failure and death if ingested.

Any time anyone in my office brings up some pet-related problem (aforementioned sago palm, my recent adventure with ticks, etc), one of my coworkers always has the helpful suggestion of getting rid of the offending pet. I'm sorry you hate animals so much, lady.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They aren't just in the south. They will thrive pretty much everywhere without a "real" winter, Walmart was selling them in droves locally, and they were every-loving-where in Okinawa. The seeds can travel an impressively long way too. Balen killed the one in our yard in Okinawa by pissing on it constantly, since housing wouldn't remove the stupid thing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They aren't just in the south. They will thrive pretty much everywhere without a "real" winter, Walmart was selling them in droves locally, and they were every-loving-where in Okinawa. The seeds can travel an impressively long way too. Balen killed the one in our yard in Okinawa by pissing on it constantly, since housing wouldn't remove the stupid thing.

Good to know. I was telling some friends from up north and they were like "wtf is that" so I assumed it was a southern-only thing.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
This is our fluffy catte Chompy.

She loves to knock things off tables and is an expert in dingleberries.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Any time anyone in my office brings up some pet-related problem (aforementioned sago palm, my recent adventure with ticks, etc), one of my coworkers always has the helpful suggestion of getting rid of the offending pet. I'm sorry you hate animals so much, lady.

When she says this poo poo, let her know that next time she makes a mistake she's just going to be fired for being a hassle. "Oh, you formatted the cells wrong in this spreadsheet. We're going to have to let you go, that was mildly annoying."

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Serella posted:

When she says this poo poo, let her know that next time she makes a mistake she's just going to be fired for being a hassle. "Oh, you formatted the cells wrong in this spreadsheet. We're going to have to let you go, that was mildly annoying."

I don't understand how people can act that way, especially when its probably pretty obvious that the person who is worried about their pet cares. If someone had the gall to say something like that to me, I'm not really sure how I'd respond. Probably pretty poorly.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I guess I can maybe sort of understand a tiny bit her going "you should take him back" when my newly adopted dog ended up with bazillions of ticks and dental issues to be addressed. HOWEVER, saying "I don't know why you would want to have a pet, they're too much trouble" when someone is in tears because their dog might die at any minute is just cold and heartless.

Next time she mentions something about one of the kids she takes care of making a mess or getting lice I should tell her she should take them to an orphanage because they're too much trouble. If only that wouldn't end with her throwing a shitfit and getting me fired :allears:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

For all of you in the south, don't let your dogs eat Sago palms. They're extremely toxic and my coworker almost just lost her dog because he ate one. He's been at the e-vet since Sunday night and he's just now being released. By some miracle the vet managed to save his liver, but it usually results in liver failure and death if ingested.

Wow...thanks for posting this. I didn't know they were toxic, and we have one as a house plant. One reason I liked it is I thought the cats wouldn't try and chew on the needle-like leaves. I was wrong, they did, but it has since been living in our guest room which is closed off to the pets.

Good to know though, because they did try and eat it previously.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Bluh. I had to rehome my snake because one of my cats was super determined to kill him. (She took a diving leap off the refrigerator at him when I had him around my neck resulting in a great big gash down my arm.) After she figured out how to pop the locks off his enclosure it was just time to find him a safer home. I'm still upset about it though. Feel like I somehow hosed up as a pet owner. :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Citizen Rat posted:

Bluh. I had to rehome my snake because one of my cats was super determined to kill him. (She took a diving leap off the refrigerator at him when I had him around my neck resulting in a great big gash down my arm.) After she figured out how to pop the locks off his enclosure it was just time to find him a safer home. I'm still upset about it though. Feel like I somehow hosed up as a pet owner. :(

You would be a hosed-up pet owner if you didn't do anything and the cat ended up eating the snake and/or getting bitten by the snake. You are a caring responsible pet owner who put the welfare of your animals above your own feelings. :colbert:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

a life less posted:

Have I mentioned how much I suck at stacking dogs?
Nice pics. And you have improved quite a bit or at least Cohen's stacks have improved :D The front could still be under (?) her a bit better, but other than that I see what I want to see from a stacked dog.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

You would be a hosed-up pet owner if you didn't do anything and the cat ended up eating the snake and/or getting bitten by the snake. You are a caring responsible pet owner who put the welfare of your animals above your own feelings. :colbert:

Thanks. I'm feeling emo about it because I really liked my snake. But I couldn't take him out of his enclosure without having to lock the cat somewhere and she's a god damned ninja about getting out of places. So I've kinda been sulking every time I see the empty spot where his enclosure used to be. Bluh.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
One of my cats tried to murder me via heart attack this morning. I was cleaning the house and had left one of the drawers in my nightstand partially open. Now, we just moved in here and I'm still a little jittery being here alone. The house is dead silent. I go to put something back in the drawer and as I'm doing so, something catches my eye and I lean down to see what it is. Whereupon the loving cat comes tearing rear end out of the drawer like she's being chased by the god drat devil directly at my face.

It was like a loving jump scare out of Pet Semetery and I nearly died on the spot.

loving cats.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Citizen Rat posted:

Thanks. I'm feeling emo about it because I really liked my snake. But I couldn't take him out of his enclosure without having to lock the cat somewhere and she's a god damned ninja about getting out of places. So I've kinda been sulking every time I see the empty spot where his enclosure used to be. Bluh.

They're domesticated (barely) so some may have better luck, but you can't really train a cat not to kill things. They're predators by instinct and that's not something you can just train away. The best you can hope for is to redirect it onto toys only but not every cat is receptive to it. Plus a lot of people don't know it but snakes are cats' natural prey. You did the best thing you could possibly do in that situation, and it's not like the snake is capable of forming attachments.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Riiseli posted:

Nice pics. And you have improved quite a bit or at least Cohen's stacks have improved :D The front could still be under (?) her a bit better, but other than that I see what I want to see from a stacked dog.

I sent the video you posted of moose hunting with Finnish spitzes to my dad and he loved it!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
We heard through the grapevine that Nori's mother is pregnant again. And heartworm positive.

Her owner isn't spending money on treatment because she's 'just a dog' and is planning on letting nature take its course. Apparently, he has the very country attitude of loving the dog like your own but not seeing any need to give it medical treatment or preventative care.

So here, have a puppy. :smith:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
SUPER I NEED YOUR HELPPPPPPPP

Can you confirm weather or not these dogs were manbiters?
Bolio, Honeybunch, Chinaman
I know about Bullyson, but I can't think of the names of other famous manbiters off of the top of my head. I never heard about Honeybunch being a manbiter, but I haven't really done much research into the subject. Need this for arguing with dumb people on the internet. Kthx.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Azrael Alexander posted:

SUPER I NEED YOUR HELPPPPPPPP

Can you confirm weather or not these dogs were manbiters?
Bolio, Honeybunch, Chinaman
I know about Bullyson, but I can't think of the names of other famous manbiters off of the top of my head. I never heard about Honeybunch being a manbiter, but I haven't really done much research into the subject. Need this for arguing with dumb people on the internet. Kthx.

You gotta aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways keep in mind when it comes to "Manbiter Chat" that "SO AND SO WAS A MABITER!!!" is the favorite rumor/smear for dogmen and fans/opponents of certains dogmen or individual dogs and due to this, you should aaaaaaaalways take accusations and stories of a dog being a manbiter with a grain of salt. I will say that it was not uncommon for dogmen to keep HA dogs around that should absolutely have been euthed because they were either very talented pit dogs or good producers. You really never know and it's all just he-said-she-said.

THAT SAID, here are the conclusions I've drawn from watching peopple argue about individual dogs constantly:

Chinaman: Probably was not at all HA and just had poor self control/bite inhibition before matches. He had been mistreated and starved by someone early on in his life and that kinda of messed him up and may have contributed to some instability, but I think he was just one of those unreasonably hot dogs that's so DA they're unpractical and unmanageable. He would tear up his handler pre-release because he wanted to Git the Dawg. I don't think Chinaman was a manbiter and he was not known to throw pups who were manbiters, he just was so DA and good at what he did and ready to go that he would mouth the poo poo out of anything in reach until he was released, in order to GET the handler to release. Probably could have been taught to watch himself but dogmen don't really train their dogs at all.

Bolio: Was probably just another intense dog that was too high-drive to be reasonably managed, but regardless of the reason, was definitely a manbiter. He mauled his owner's two year old son, and based on what I've heard he was very prey driven and was just a huge ball of DA and prey-drive- which made him a great pit dog, but so difficult to manage that he was pretty dangerous. Like Chinaman, he would bite to be released, but with Bolio it was less blind excitement and more calculated "gently caress you, I hate you, let me go so I can get the other dog and I will wreck your poo poo if you don't." I have no personal experience with bolio dogs but based on everything I've heard, Bolio himself produced a lot of HA dogs and the line seems to have issues with manbiting.

Honeybunch: Have always heard that she was a manbiter but have never heard the details. Moses is related to Honeybunch, so I hope she wasn't! It is a mystery.

Honestly, the deeper I go, the more I realize that manbiters were not always culled if they were winners and made :10bux:. If they were crap on top of being bitey, they were prob put down for being bitey. If they ate a few arms or legs or faces but were great in the pit or as producers, people tended to turn a blind eye. I don't agree with it, but I'm beginning to find that it's true.

Edit: Today, while taking these pictures, some people walking by stopped to pet Moses and asked if he had been a bait dog. I did not have the heart to tell them that the scars accumulating on his neck are from constantly hassling a Boston Terrier. :downs:

It will never cease to be hilarious to me that if he were in rescue, some fat woman would be telling everyone that he was fought and/or was a bait dog. The local rescues here are particularly big on billing every pit bull with a scratch on its nose a an ~ex fighter~ or ~former bait dog left to die.~ For some reason it deeply offends them when you try to explain that most pit bulls have scars from just being assholes and getting told off by other dogs. They really want to believe their dogs were bait dogs and/or ~forced to fight.~. :psyduck:

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 16, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Superconsndar posted:

You gotta aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways keep in mind when it comes to "Manbiter Chat" that "SO AND SO WAS A MABITER!!!" is the favorite rumor/smear for dogmen and fans/opponents of certains dogmen or individual dogs and due to this, you should aaaaaaaalways take accusations and stories of a dog being a manbiter with a grain of salt. I will say that it was not uncommon for dogmen to keep HA dogs around that should absolutely have been euthed because they were either very talented pit dogs or good producers. You really never know and it's all just he-said-she-said.

THAT SAID, here are the conclusions I've drawn from watching peopple argue about individual dogs constantly:

Chinaman: Probably was not at all HA and just had poor self control/bite inhibition before matches. He had been mistreated and starved by someone early on in his life and that kinda of messed him up and may have contributed to some instability, but I think he was just one of those unreasonably hot dogs that's so DA they're unpractical and unmanageable. He would tear up his handler pre-release because he wanted to Git the Dawg. I don't think Chinaman was a manbiter and he was not known to throw pups who were manbiters, he just was so DA and good at what he did and ready to go that he would mouth the poo poo out of anything in reach until he was released, in order to GET the handler to release. Probably could have been taught to watch himself but dogmen don't really train their dogs at all.

Bolio: Was probably just another intense dog that was too high-drive to be reasonably managed, but regardless of the reason, was definitely a manbiter. He mauled his owner's two year old son, and based on what I've heard he was very prey driven and was just a huge ball of DA and prey-drive- which made him a great pit dog, but so difficult to manage that he was pretty dangerous. Like Chinaman, he would bite to be released, but with Bolio it was less blind excitement and more calculated "gently caress you, I hate you, let me go so I can get the other dog and I will wreck your poo poo if you don't." I have no personal experience with bolio dogs but based on everything I've heard, Bolio himself produced a lot of HA dogs and the line seems to have issues with manbiting.

Honeybunch: Have always heard that she was a manbiter but have never heard the details. Moses is related to Honeybunch, so I hope she wasn't! It is a mystery.

Honestly, the deeper I go, the more I realize that manbiters were not always culled if they were winners and made :tenbux:. If they were crap on top of being bitey, they were prob put down for being bitey. If they ate a few arms or legs or faces but were great in the pit or as producers, people tended to turn a blind eye. I don't agree with it, but I'm beginning to find that it's true.

Edit: Today, while taking these pictures, some people walking by stopped to pet Moses and asked if he had been a bait dog. I did not have the heart to tell them that the scars accumulating on his neck are from constantly hassling a Boston Terrier. :downs:

It will never cease to be hilarious to me that if he were in rescue, some fat woman would be telling everyone that he was fought and/or was a bait dog. The local rescues here are particularly big on billing every pit bull with a scratch on its nose a an ~ex fighter~ or ~former bait dog left to die.~ For some reason it deeply offends them when you try to explain that most pit bulls have scars from just being assholes and getting told off by other dogs. They really want to believe their dogs were bait dogs and/or ~forced to fight.~. :psyduck:

Thank you sooooo much for replying, seriously I am losing my mind. I have been arguing with anti-Pibble people ALL loving DAY about the Miami-Dade Pit Bull ban and holy poo poo, these people oh my god my brain. I have no idea how the conversation ended up on manbiting fighting dogs but somehow their existence proves that all Pit Bulls are baby eating monsters that need to die and "BITE INHIBITION IS A MYTH :byodame:" and oh my god I think I might die. I was going for a more sappy "It's the owner not the dog" approach at first and trying to be as sickly sweet as possible but towards the end I started getting angry when every link I gave to a study that disproved some of the common Pit Bull myths (locking jaws for instance) was shot down as bullshit "BECAUSE IT WAS A CONSPIRACY BY THE ~PRO PIT BULL PEOPLE~" that I started getting pissy and left because gently caress it. Any talk about fighting dogs immediately turned into a huge trainwreck and there is really no point in talking to these people. Half of them were probably trolls and I just do not caaaaaaare anymore. Also American Bulldogs are "Pit Mixes" just thought I'd let you know
:negative:
Also lol Moses is a bait dog. :iamafag: Tell them that you tie him up to a tree and let Frankie practice his fighting chops on him.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Azrael Alexander posted:

"BECAUSE IT WAS A CONSPIRACY BY THE ~PRO PIT BULL PEOPLE~"

This, and when people go putting science in quotes, as in "yeah, pft, right, 'science'" is when I know to just give up and walk away, because there is absolutely nothing more I can do. Clicker training is apparently based in bullshit "science," btw.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Frankie is clearly the alpha, you should knock him down a few pegs with a well-placed bitey-hand-grab and hope he doesn't go OHGODOHGODWHAT.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Huskcorgi

I love Moses :3:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

This, and when people go putting science in quotes, as in "yeah, pft, right, 'science'" is when I know to just give up and walk away, because there is absolutely nothing more I can do. Clicker training is apparently based in bullshit "science," btw.

"Well its because scientists don't actually have to do things in the REAL WORLD and they don't know and they have no experience. And my dog's vet's nurse told me that alpha rolling is tried and true and so does my breeder.."

And that's when you wish for the cleansing fires to rain down upon them from the heavens.

EDIT: Now imagine your work is more abstract but just as relevant. Then you get people going "MY TAX DOLLARS PAY FOR THIS?" They don't pay for a whole loving lot of it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Max has the creepiest way of asking to go out. Instead of going to the door like a normal dog, he'll hop up next to me wherever I'm sitting and will get his face about an inch from mine and just stare :staredog: then slowly lean forward and slowly and deliberately lick my face once, then resume staring. It doesn't help that when he's standing next to me on the couch while I'm sitting he's exactly at eye level. He'll do the same in bed. Hop up, stare, lick, stare. Repeat lick if necessary.

It took us a couple weeks to realize that this correlated with when he needed to to out, we just thought he was being weird.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max has the creepiest way of asking to go out. Instead of going to the door like a normal dog, he'll hop up next to me wherever I'm sitting and will get his face about an inch from mine and just stare :staredog: then slowly lean forward and slowly and deliberately lick my face once, then resume staring. if necessary.

Major does this but without the licking. He'll just stare as close to my face as possible as if he's trying to psychically communicate that he needs to go piss. If I don't pay attention he starts making bizarre yeti noises and claws at me until I give in.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max has the creepiest way of asking to go out. Instead of going to the door like a normal dog, he'll hop up next to me wherever I'm sitting and will get his face about an inch from mine and just stare :staredog: then slowly lean forward and slowly and deliberately lick my face once, then resume staring. It doesn't help that when he's standing next to me on the couch while I'm sitting he's exactly at eye level. He'll do the same in bed. Hop up, stare, lick, stare. Repeat lick if necessary.
Please get a video of this. I can't stop laughing. :staredog:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Oh my god you guys

quote:

Petey was a canine actor. He was not what you saw in the movies, movies are edited. Advertising mascots and logos are not real dogs. Stubby was a mascot and did not save anybody's life. Go back to the historical photos of Stubby. Doesn't he look like a Boston Terrier to you???

I...what...? What does that even mean. THAT DOG WAS JUST ACTING OMG YOU GUYS

No way someone actually just said this in real life

Totally replied with "Bostons were bred from Pit Bulls" but I'm sure they will disprove this too with their amazing powers of logic and reasoning.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 16, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

ladyweapon posted:

Please get a video of this. I can't stop laughing. :staredog:

He's got these triangle ears that stick out to the side when he wants things, so he actually looks more like :catstare:

Like this. Bonus cone for extra derp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Friend just posted this quote from an article on facebook:

friend posted:

‎"There's an interesting Japanese news-and-discussion program on Saturdays called Yasuhiro Tase's Weekly News Report, where the important news stories of the day are discussed by some very smart commentators. Because the topics covered in the show are quite heavy and intellectual, they "soften" things in a uniquely Japanese way: by keeping a cat on the set and allowing the camera to follow what the cat is doing while various subjects are being debated."

• Locked thread