Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't even know how to cope with this and I'm not really sure where else to post this.

After leaving my house for about 40 minutes I returned to a scene of complete horror. My housemates 5 year old son and his 7 year old friend climbed a stool so they could reach a very high shelf where I keep all my painted and assembled close to 2000pt Necron army. They picked up everyone one of my models off the shelf, brought them downstairs and proceeded to play with them. I use the word play loosely because it looked like they beat the ever loving poo poo out of them.

Gauss flayers and cannons broken. Destroyers destroyed. Staves and War Scythes snapped off. Arms and legs busted. Flying bases and heads missing. AWOL scarabs.

If it wasn't for the sheer irony that these were Necrons that got so demolished I might be way more angry than I am but trust me I'm furious, but since it was about 2 hours ago I'm less so.

It's odd, after spending all this time and money on these dumb army men a part of me is just annoyed at how fragile these things are and how quickly they can be reduced to total garbage by children who really can't be blamed for wanting to mess around with such cool looking things.

Who am I kidding. I'm devastated.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Grab a rifle, tell the kids you have candy behind the shed.

You know what to do next.
Give them the candy and teach them to shoot. If they want to destroy something, at least let it be tin cans or something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Pricey but effective, especially with an astropath to reroll which side you come in on during outflank and the fact you can twin link the meltas in his own squad. Heavy flaming objective campers and rear/side armor multilaser hits and having a poo poo ton of scoring dudes in the backfield for objectives and Linebreaker make it a pretty good bet.

Bonus nachos that the whole platoon rolls as one unit for determining when you are coming in. Personally I'd do 3 chimeras, Al'Raheim's squad with meltas and a flamer in the other two.

I feel like running the troops with just flamers would be kinda dinky, wouldn't it? If only Al'Raheim's squad has meltas, then there's just one very, very vulnerable and expensive unit that can threaten tanks or whatever while the other squads are just a buncha Guardsmen with a couple flamers. Would all melta plus the missile launchers be a good idea? Would plasma/missile launchers be a good idea? I mean, I understand it's not the world's most efficient use of my points, but I like the idea a lot and I want to make sure they do something when they show up.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Ballard, but will be in south shoreline soon. Smegmalicious is also in ballard. He is my boxing trainer.

You should go to his Gym. It is Ballard Barbell and Boxing gym.

Boxing? Awesome, I may have to stop by.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SRM posted:

I feel like running the troops with just flamers would be kinda dinky, wouldn't it? If only Al'Raheim's squad has meltas, then there's just one very, very vulnerable and expensive unit that can threaten tanks or whatever while the other squads are just a buncha Guardsmen with a couple flamers. Would all melta plus the missile launchers be a good idea? Would plasma/missile launchers be a good idea? I mean, I understand it's not the world's most efficient use of my points, but I like the idea a lot and I want to make sure they do something when they show up.

Demo charges!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

While work was busy today, I managed to get the real work done:

All ten Plaguebearers.

A closer look at a couple choice models.

The Herald of Nurgle (on an intestine-y Palanquin). The intestine colors got bleached at bit in color correction, they look much more red in person.

Looking good. I notice you didn't use any Nurglings except for the one with the Herald. Do you have plans for them or you just don't like the look? Also I'm interested in seeing how tall the Herald is compared to the other Plaguebearers.

In other 40k business, I see in the BRB that template weapons are now placed with the narrow end touching the model's base. I could've sworn that in 5th it touched the barrel of the weapon; has this been changed or was I just mis-reading the rules before?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Naramyth posted:

Pricey but effective, especially with an astropath to reroll which side you come in on during outflank and the fact you can twin link the meltas in his own squad. Heavy flaming objective campers and rear/side armor multilaser hits and having a poo poo ton of scoring dudes in the backfield for objectives and Linebreaker make it a pretty good bet.

Bonus nachos that the whole platoon rolls as one unit for determining when you are coming in. Personally I'd do 3 chimeras, Al'Raheim's squad with meltas and a flamer in the other two.

The problem with that is while you can give orders from a Chimera, you can't receive them, so to the best of my knowledge that can't actually work. I still think that the most efficient use of your points would be to give the regular Guard Squads Meltas and a Vox, in order to maximize their killing power when they hit the field. For this reason I'd also include the Missile Launchers, though you may want to put them in their own dedicated HWS.

Edit:

This is also a valid option, especially against armies fielding Terminators. Demo Packs? 20 points on top of a 35 point squad. The face your opponent makes when he realizes Demo Packs are AP2? Priceless. :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 15, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

AndyElusive posted:

I don't even know how to cope with this and I'm not really sure where else to post this.

After leaving my house for about 40 minutes I returned to a scene of complete horror. My housemates 5 year old son and his 7 year old friend climbed a stool so they could reach a very high shelf where I keep all my painted and assembled close to 2000pt Necron army. They picked up everyone one of my models off the shelf, brought them downstairs and proceeded to play with them. I use the word play loosely because it looked like they beat the ever loving poo poo out of them.

Gauss flayers and cannons broken. Destroyers destroyed. Staves and War Scythes snapped off. Arms and legs busted. Flying bases and heads missing. AWOL scarabs.

If it wasn't for the sheer irony that these were Necrons that got so demolished I might be way more angry than I am but trust me I'm furious, but since it was about 2 hours ago I'm less so.

It's odd, after spending all this time and money on these dumb army men a part of me is just annoyed at how fragile these things are and how quickly they can be reduced to total garbage by children who really can't be blamed for wanting to mess around with such cool looking things.

Who am I kidding. I'm devastated.

:negative:

Thought for the day: keep that poo poo under lock and key, son.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Make the parents of those little shits loving pay for a new army.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was going to say, maybe not a whole new army but they should be seriously materially kissing your rear end at this point.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

They're not really little shits though, they're normal kids. And if the parents were outside the hobby they probably don't know any better either. I remember a friend of mine and his kid visiting a mates house, and he had all these original 80's transformers up on a high shelf. My friend was just fishing them down for the kid to play with. Outside of geeks, people just see toys as toys.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Yea, but they live together. They probably know at least a bit about the hobby, or at least his investment in it. I would expect something from them, maybe not a brand new army, but something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
With what happened to my FW Great Unclean One I can really sympathise. And this is so much worse.

I'd be desperate to make amends.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

They're not really little shits though, they're normal kids.

And normal kids (And by extension the parents) get punished for digging around in other peoples stuff without permission. Its one thing if he let them play with them and they got demolished, but they had to go out of their way to find something they knew wasn't theirs.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Carcer posted:

And normal kids (And by extension the parents) get punished for digging around in other peoples stuff without permission. Its one thing if he let them play with them and they got demolished, but they had to go out of their way to find something they knew wasn't theirs.

For real. Whether the little plastic men cost $500 or $20 if they took stuff that wasn't theirs and broke it they should be punished, and if the parent is any friend of yours they'd pay you back in some way.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Could someone give me a formula for figuring the amount of hits likely with 10 shardcarbines (3 shots per, need a roll of 3) vs 10 splinter rifles and a splinter rack (rapid fire, need a roll of 3, re-roll misses)?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's pretty simple. Chance to hit with BS4 is a 3+, or 4/6. A reroll will happen on a 1 or a 2, or a 2/6 chance. When you reroll, you again have a 4/6 chance to hit. So, chance to hit BS4 with a reroll is 4/6 + 2/6*4/6, or 8/9.

Expected hits are just multiplying the number of trials with the probability.

Shardcarbine: 3*2/3 = 2 hits on average
Splinter Rifle: 2*8/9 = 1.78 hits on average

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Children: the real Monsterous Creatures

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Models are models. There should be just as much recompensation as if they had taken a model ship down from a top shelf they had to move furniture to reach and broke it into wooden shards.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Nice to wake up to this; my AoBR Dread is done.

I think I see a couple of my Command Squad in the background there.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Enough lovely parenting discussion already.

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2012/08/14/nsfw-necrons-vs-space-wolves-2000pts/

If my poorly played, crap 5th ed wolf list can't beat 6th ed flyer spam then clearly the game is broken. :ohdear: At least that's what the rest of the internets tells me.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

cat with hands posted:

If my poorly played, crap 5th ed wolf list can't beat 6th ed flyer spam then clearly the game is broken. :ohdear: At least that's what the rest of the internets tells me.

I feel sorry for the guy who's going to have a bunch of Night Scythes collecting dust in a few months.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I love the "This is probably the best army to take on the Necron flier list".

WRONG. WRONG.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Shardcarbine: 3*2/3 = 2 hits on average
Splinter Rifle: 2*8/9 = 1.78 hits on average

Thank you very much.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009
Yesterday was an interesting experience, because I think I found the promised land of GW products in this little north metro-Atlanta FLGS. My coworker buddy that got me into the hobby raves on and on about how cheap 40k items are at this one specific store, but he exaggerates from time to time so I had my skepticism. Finally made it over there today and promptly dropped $120 on TWO black reach starter boxes. He had 6th edition rulebooks for $45, battle forces ranging from $55 to $71, and tons of terrain for crazy cheap - the imperial sector box was, I think, $80. All the fliers were a flat $30, drop pods were $24, it was just insane. Apparently he just straight up can't advertise that he even carries games workshop stuff when he sells it that low. He's not allowed to buy any forgeworld stuff either and he constantly gets stiffed on limited edition merchandise, and he was explaining how the other FLGS's in the area are not a fan of him at all. But, essentially, he's a miracle worker. Why don't more stores go this route? Or do they actually do that yet nobody hears about them due to advertising problems from games workshop?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Wildey posted:

Yesterday was an interesting experience, because I think I found the promised land of GW products in this little north metro-Atlanta FLGS.

:stare: I... uh.... I think I need to drive up to Atlanta. How much stock does he keep of each item? I cannot imagine there's much profit at prices like that unless he's scrounging from Craiglist or something. Or they fell off a truck.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Wildey posted:

Yesterday was an interesting experience, because I think I found the promised land of GW products in this little north metro-Atlanta FLGS. My coworker buddy that got me into the hobby raves on and on about how cheap 40k items are at this one specific store, but he exaggerates from time to time so I had my skepticism. Finally made it over there today and promptly dropped $120 on TWO black reach starter boxes. He had 6th edition rulebooks for $45, battle forces ranging from $55 to $71, and tons of terrain for crazy cheap - the imperial sector box was, I think, $80. All the fliers were a flat $30, drop pods were $24, it was just insane. Apparently he just straight up can't advertise that he even carries games workshop stuff when he sells it that low. He's not allowed to buy any forgeworld stuff either and he constantly gets stiffed on limited edition merchandise, and he was explaining how the other FLGS's in the area are not a fan of him at all. But, essentially, he's a miracle worker. Why don't more stores go this route? Or do they actually do that yet nobody hears about them due to advertising problems from games workshop?

Yo where is that store, PM me or email me at gmail please :)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They don't do it because he's getting no margin at all on that stuff. He's either a loving idiot or his gear is stolen.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.

cat with hands posted:

I thought you could only take a BRB psychic power once. This gut took it the twin-linked one three or four times.

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 15, 2012

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Just post where it is in the thread and save yourself 50 emails.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kwosge posted:

I thought you could only take a BRB psychic power once per. This gut took it the twin-linked one three or four times.

The army can field the power as many times are there are psykers, but any one model cannot have any power more than once (and have to reroll on the table if they get a result). That's one of the big ways that it's different from Fantasy magic, where the entire army can only have each spell once. Another difference is that in Fantasy if you roll more than one of the same result you get to select the "double" power yourself, in 40k you have to reroll until you get a result you don't already have.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

Corrode posted:

They don't do it because he's getting no margin at all on that stuff. He's either a loving idiot or his gear is stolen.

He orders stuff every wednesday at 4pm and gets it in by Friday, so I think he's going the usual route.

PierreTheMime posted:

:stare: I... uh.... I think I need to drive up to Atlanta. How much stock does he keep of each item? I cannot imagine there's much profit at prices like that unless he's scrounging from Craiglist or something. Or they fell off a truck.

He keeps a regular stock of items and gets the normal shipments in. He had all the new chaos demon release stuff too. Just your average store but with heavenly prices. Even paint pots were $3.50.

The store is Raven's Nest Games - http://www.rngames.com/

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
^^^
Why don't they have the store address on their website?

PierreTheMime posted:

The army can field the power as many times are there are psykers, but any one model cannot have any power more than once (and have to reroll on the table if they get a result). That's one of the big ways that it's different from Fantasy magic, where the entire army can only have each spell once. Another difference is that in Fantasy if you roll more than one of the same result you get to select the "double" power yourself, in 40k you have to reroll until you get a result you don't already have.

That is interesting.

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 15, 2012

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

Kwosge posted:

^^^
Why don't they have the store address on their website?

No idea, but this is it - https://plus.google.com/109550428504800331921/about?hl=en

edit: he's got an odd system for debit and credit cards. He'll run them fine, but for every $50 increment of the total, he adds $3. Its right next to a kroger though so he just tells people to run over there, buy gum or something, and get cash back.

Wildey fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 15, 2012

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wildey posted:

He orders stuff every wednesday at 4pm and gets it in by Friday, so I think he's going the usual route.

Then he's an idiot getting no or worthless margin on his products, which is why other store owners (who like to do things like pay their bills and eat) don't do it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Corrode posted:

Then he's an idiot getting no or worthless margin on his products, which is why other store owners (who like to do things like pay their bills and eat) don't do it.

An idiot running a game store and making terrible business decisions? Sounds about par for the course! Everyone should get on this before he burns the place down being true to his vision or whatever.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SRM posted:

It is a outflanking twin linked melta threat in a chimera with mobile anti infantry blocking vehicles, that is enough of a wrecking ball to ruin most back lines, especially since you get so many S6 rear armor shots and the rest of your army should be enough of a threat to make this pretty small potatoes. And single shot BS3 melta is pretty terrible and snap shot missiles are worse. Plasma wouldn't be to bad but again, 1 gun and no orders because they are stuck in their boxes.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem with that is while you can give orders from a Chimera, you can't receive them, so to the best of my knowledge that can't actually work. I still think that the most efficient use of your points would be to give the regular Guard Squads Meltas and a Vox, in order to maximize their killing power when they hit the field. For this reason I'd also include the Missile Launchers, though you may want to put them in their own dedicated HWS.

Edit:

This is also a valid option, especially against armies fielding Terminators. Demo Packs? 20 points on top of a 35 point squad. The face your opponent makes when he realizes Demo Packs are AP2? Priceless. :v:

You can order your own unit in it's own chimera. You can't order units in other transports because units in other transports are not valid targets. [ASK] me about twin linked plasma command squads.

And remember Al'Raheim's whole squad needs to come in outflanking. That means your HWTs would not be on the board turn one to shoot, then come on at best turn two to do some snap fire(and hopefully they are in cover at that board edge) then they get to shoot? That is pretty terrible.

Also Demo charges can only come from Special Weapon Squads which would not be in chimeras, which means termies only need to be 12.1" away from a board edge to not worry about them on the turn they come in, and then shoot/assault before they can be thrown.

cat with hands posted:

That is a lot of fliers. :stare:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
And doublepost for a trip report:

After my awesome game last Tuesday I feel bad when I beat up on the baby seals of the store. The guy I played was the guy I played in the last game of the last tournament we had in which I tabled him on an objective game. Yesterday was no better. We played Dawn of War, normal objectives(which we had four of) and I went first. I was able to put what LOS blocking terrain there was in the corners of the map so I could maximize my shooting. He threw in the towel in the middle of my turn 3 shooting when all he had left was a Land Raider, 2 berserkers and 3 raptors and all he had killed was 3 ablative chimeras, the dudes inside were mostly intact. I hope I don't pull him in the first game of the tournament on Saturday because it will be just sad.

The lists(1850)!

Him: Chaos Space Marines
Terminator Lord with claws
5 terminators with various gear
Landraider(termies were in here)
2 rhinos full of zerkers
2 obliterators
Defiler
Winged Demon Prince

Me: Guard
CCS with plasma+astropath in a box
2 melta vet boxes
2 infantry squads with flamer in boxes
PCS with flamers in a box
Psyker Battle Squad in a box
Russ
Manticore
3 vendettas with infantry squads in them

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ashcans posted:

An idiot running a game store and making terrible business decisions? Sounds about par for the course! Everyone should get on this before he burns the place down being true to his vision or whatever.

Pretty much every shop in the UK is like this - 30-40% retail (I'm told) but you have to wait 2+ weeks to get most stuff. Both of my co-workers who've ordered from a couple different shops have waited 2-3 weeks for their models. So your choice is to get a discount and wait close to a month, or pay full retail and get it from GW direct. Pretty crap choices, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

CyberLord XP posted:

I love the "This is probably the best army to take on the Necron flier list".

WRONG. WRONG.

As much as I like the 11th Company, it's crap like that list that annoys the Hell out of me about tournament players. You can always count on Neil to bring this kind of poo poo. Or Space Wolf armies with 35 missile launchers. I recognize it is just a different way to play the game, but it isn't my way.

At least it will be painted to a decent standard. Unlike the 4 color, 6 hour paint job on the IG army here:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/478429_10150636950392207_551770324_o.jpg

Again, this is the perpetuation of the story that tournament players only care about the win. Not all of them approach 40k this way, but when people do it turns me off to tournament play completely.

As far as Reece's comment that you mentioned above... he is a regular GT winner, and has placed at the top 16 tables for Adepticon 2 years running. While I don't know how accurate the statement is (especially since the army was tabled by round 3), I understand what he means (a lot of missile fire to help deal with the flyers).

I don't always agree with Reece, but the guy can beat the pants off of most people.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 15, 2012

• Locked thread