Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone experience sound cutting out when trying to play two YouTube videos simultaneously in Chrome? Not that this is typically practical, but it is annoying because I have to restart Chrome to fix it. I tried two videos in Firefox and the sound doesn't cut out. I'm guessing it's a Flash problem. It makes the same sound like if you plug/unplug a speaker cord while the speaker is powered.

I don't think this happened to me while using Chrome a month ago. It started sometime last week I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

OneEightHundred posted:

Ayn Rand is basically the quintessential hyper-libertarian whose prime thesis is essentially that society is driven by great heroic businessmen and the prime evil is the unwashed masses who want to use the government to take what they didn't earn.

It pretty much requires you to go from drinking the just world fallacy and "owner = inventor" Kool-Aid to mainlining it, and it's generally used as an argument to cut absolutely every function of government so that people don't get anything unless they "earn it."

I'm not familiar with the "owner = inventor" thing, what is that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

I'm not familiar with the "owner = inventor" thing, what is that?

Basically that if you're like the CEO of a company and you pay someone to invent it for you, the invention is really yours, not the guy who actually did the work.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: nvm

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

OneEightHundred posted:

Her philosophy isn't very rigorous so she's generally dismissed in those circles. It really doesn't take much to poke holes in it, especially since it disguises itself in the language of meritocracy while promoting unmeritocratic institutions like wealth cycles, and constantly commits fallacies in aggregating things (i.e. even if you're solely self-interested, it does not follow that policies encouraging self-interest over cooperation are in your self-interest).

So, to a laymen like me, this means her philosophy sometimes is in favor of meritocracy, which I interpret as "earning" your position in life or in a job or whatever, and yet she's also "promoting" being born into wealth? Seems like those stand in stark contrast.

I won't keep flooding this topic with Ayn Rand stuff after this point, but I thank everyone for their input.

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
I didn't think this warranted it's own thread but can someone identify these weird, alien creatures that have been clawing my trees 12+ feet off the ground (I'm suspecting raccoons?), the tree is infected with Emerald Ashbore by the way and were suspecting that's what they're trying to get to. Picture here:
http://i.imgur.com/mowzl.jpg

The next creature is laying some kind of gooey larva or fungus at the base of another tree that has small black millipede like bugs stewing beneath it. Picture here:
http://i.imgur.com/fiTlN.jpg

What are these things? (NOTE: Pictures linked instead of embedded because they are HUGE)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Install Gentoo posted:

Basically that if you're like the CEO of a company and you pay someone to invent it for you, the invention is really yours, not the guy who actually did the work.
That's not quite what I meant, basically she fetishizes business owners as geniuses and heroes that built their empires and while that phenomenon does exist in practice, the real cash is raked in by people who aren't rich because of what they do, but because of what they own. The Google founders for instance might fit the archetype Rand loves to promote, but then you have people like Carlos Slim and the Koch Brothers who didn't really DO anything.

Redkist posted:

So, to a laymen like me, this means her philosophy sometimes is in favor of meritocracy, which I interpret as "earning" your position in life or in a job or whatever, and yet she's also "promoting" being born into wealth? Seems like those stand in stark contrast.
No, I mean that her message has popularity because it sounds meritocratic. The heart of both its popularity and its stupidity is that it assumes that consentful transactions are inherently fair, if not fair by definition. Assuming that gives people a lot of lazy intellectual refuges like "if you don't like it, don't buy it!", and lets them handwave away the birth lottery because inheritances are consentful and giving that money to someone below the poverty line wouldn't be.

Honestly, if you want some good answers and a lot better discussion on it than I can muster, ask the same questions here.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 15, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

I didn't think this warranted it's own thread but can someone identify these weird, alien creatures that have been clawing my trees 12+ feet off the ground (I'm suspecting raccoons?), the tree is infected with Emerald Ashbore by the way and were suspecting that's what they're trying to get to. Picture here:
http://i.imgur.com/mowzl.jpg

The next creature is laying some kind of gooey larva or fungus at the base of another tree that has small black millipede like bugs stewing beneath it. Picture here:
http://i.imgur.com/fiTlN.jpg

What are these things? (NOTE: Pictures linked instead of embedded because they are HUGE)

Not sure about the second picture, but the damage in the first (depending on your location) could very well be caused by a porcupine.

Edit: Though it might just as well be a raccoon like you suspect.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 15, 2012

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
What's the process like for disputing a paypal transaction? I'm possibly going to engage in a $430 transaction for a technology purchase on another message board with a recent registrant. I'm a bit wary, considering the circumstances--what sort of proof does Paypal require from the other guy that he (1) sent me the item and (2) sent me a working item? Is my money going to be tied up for a long time if I end up getting scammed (or am I even going to get my money back)?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My lease expires in September, it doesn't have a date on the expiration just September. I live in louisiana, new orleans specifically. When do I have to move out? I can't seem to get in touch with my landlord he's mia, also he took over the lease when he bought the building. So I have no idea what that means. my lease was from Febuary to September, but it doesn't list a date.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MaakHatt posted:

What's the process like for disputing a paypal transaction? I'm possibly going to engage in a $430 transaction for a technology purchase on another message board with a recent registrant. I'm a bit wary, considering the circumstances--what sort of proof does Paypal require from the other guy that he (1) sent me the item and (2) sent me a working item? Is my money going to be tied up for a long time if I end up getting scammed (or am I even going to get my money back)?

Don't worry, paypal is notoriously buyer-biased. Many legitimate online sellers refuse to use Paypal because of how quick they are to reverse payments and freeze accounts.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Hollis posted:

My lease expires in September, it doesn't have a date on the expiration just September. I live in louisiana, new orleans specifically. When do I have to move out? I can't seem to get in touch with my landlord he's mia, also he took over the lease when he bought the building. So I have no idea what that means. my lease was from Febuary to September, but it doesn't list a date.

IANAL or whatever but a lot of anecdotes tells me you need to be out (like cleaned and gone) by 12:00AM Oct. 1. That would make it an 8 month lease which is odd, do you not know how many months you signed for? It's odd they're not in contact with you, generally they like to know when you are going to be out so they can get someone in as soon as possible.

E: It is best to talk to the landlord though. Do you have a copy of the lease agreement in hand?

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2012

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

IANAL or whatever but a lot of anecdotes tells me you need to be out (like cleaned and gone) by 12:00AM Oct. 1. That would make it an 8 month lease which is odd, do you not know how many months you signed for? It's odd they're not in contact with you, generally they like to know when you are going to be out so they can get someone in as soon as possible.

E: It is best to talk to the landlord though. Do you have a copy of the lease agreement in hand?

Yeah it just says September, I am trying to find anywhere in the lease where it says otherwise but I can't find it at all. I made the lease initially with the previous owner who did not tell me they were selling the building. Then they sold the building and the new guy was like "Oh, yeah I need you to move out"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MaakHatt posted:

If you're really worried, use something like Escrow.com. The fee would be a bit more, about $25 for the transaction, but you could split that between each of you.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Hollis posted:

Yeah it just says September, I am trying to find anywhere in the lease where it says otherwise but I can't find it at all. I made the lease initially with the previous owner who did not tell me they were selling the building. Then they sold the building and the new guy was like "Oh, yeah I need you to move out"

Leases have basic terms they have to adhere to, depending on where you live. This looks like it may be helpful to you. If that doesn't help, I would recommend talking to somebody from your local renter's association or rental board, and try to find out exactly what your rights are.

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

Not sure about the second picture, but the damage in the first (depending on your location) could very well be caused by a porcupine.

Edit: Though it might just as well be a raccoon like you suspect.

Wow, those little guys can get up that high? I wish it was porcupines, I'm in central ohio though...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What type of energy is water pressure?

I was initially thinking in terms of Fundamental Forces... but in my own search, started thinking about the forms of energy, as described here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Apparently I was suppose to get the lease recorded at some point because I have a new building owner the property sold while I was there, but he was like naw you guys are fine. Now I don't have any idea.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Redkist posted:

Thank you too. I just followed up on some of what you've written and found that one of the principal tenets of Objectivism is: "that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness (or rational self-interest)".

I kinda prefer a Horace Mann "Be Ashamed to Die Until You Have Won Some Victory for Humanity" mentality. I don't think I'll feel "moral" or accomplished in the end of my life if all I have to think back on are all the times I pursued excessive hedonism. You have to give sometimes to get, right?

I suppose I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this could be such a popular mentality.

Be aware that there are some more rigorous philosophical approaches that make something like Ayn Rand's philosophy make some sense, whether or not you agree with them. Some of what Bertrand Russell wrote in his Communist baiting phase, and NIetszche's Uberman works (and more importantly what some people read into them) are actual intelligent thought provoking approaches to those ideas.

Also recognize that Ayn Rand was writing Cold War propaganda, whether she knew it or not. Of course conservatives eat it up.

aeroflot
May 11, 2008

A series of small (possibly stupid) questions:

Does such a thing as nicotine-free tobacco exist? I tried very basic googling but it's mostly turning up stuff about herbal cigarettes and those electronic cigarettes.

What I'm taking about is just normal tobacco that has had the nicotine removed, or at least substantially reduced, similar to decaffeinated coffee. If it doesn't exist, can anyone tell me why not? Is it just not possible? Why not? Does it alter the flavour? How would it be any different to removing the caffeine from coffee beans?

If it is possible, and it doesn't alter the flavour, why are nicotine-free tobacco products not widely available? Obviously I get that the big tobacco companies like the idea of having their consumers addicted to their products, but surely nicotine-free alternatives would be highly desirable to people who enjoy the flavour and ritual of smoking tobacco but don't like the idea of being physically addicted to nicotine. There must be a big market of social smokers to exploit, and given that younger generations are growing up in the knowledge that smoking is addictive and bad for you, tobacco companies are going to need to find a way to stay relevant. Am I onto something here or am I just an idiot?

Fake Edit: Further googling (ie, looking beyond the first page of results) has brought up hits that suggest nicotine-free tobacco does in fact exist: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/30/16/5525.abstract

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Going back to the original question that started the Rand discussion, is there somewhere I can find a sort of overview of Paul Ryan? I hadn't heard of him until I saw a headline that he's Romney's running mate, and I'd like to know more about him as a politician.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Hollis posted:

Sounds pretty sketchy. Loose "contracts" usually end up hurting the "little guy", without legal representation.

Be careful. Head over to the legal thread. That wishy-washy rental thing bites people in the rear end all the time.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/y1s1f/official_paul_ryan_thread/

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/y6bgb/paul_ryans_budget_plan/

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Hollis posted:

In Louisiana, if your lease does not have a specific renewal clause in it, it automatically switches over to month-to-month after the specified period is up.

A Guide to Louisiana Landlord/Tennant Laws posted:

Without A Renewal Clause: If the tenant remains in the apartment for one week after the lease expires* and there is no renewal clause, then the lease will automatically renew on a month-to-month basis*. In this situation, any change to the terms of the lease must be made with ten (10) days written notice prior to the end of the monthly period.

Anecdotally, I'm in Washington State, and my lease expired a little over a year ago, and I've just been month-to-month since then. My landlord raised rent once in the time period, by giving me the prescribed (in Washington) 30-day notice. Your landlord might be assuming that this is what you want to do as well.

Met posted:

What type of energy is water pressure?

I was initially thinking in terms of Fundamental Forces... but in my own search, started thinking about the forms of energy, as described here.

As described there, it's Mechanical Energy. Water under pressure potentially has Kinetic energy: if the pressure is released in relatively low pressure, the water will come jetting out, which is a moving mass, which is Kinetic energy. However, it's one of those funky ones like potential gravitational kinetic energy: it's all relative. If you took the same container with a given water pressure, and put released it in an environment with comparatively higher pressure (like at the bottom of the ocean, or in a pressure vessel), water/air would come jetting in instead of out.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

Wow, those little guys can get up that high? I wish it was porcupines, I'm in central ohio though...

Yeah, raccoons are great climbers, I've seen them going up my trees a number of times. They can leave claw marks like that too, though I have not noticed huge chunks of bark torn off like that. Are there any grizzly bears in your area, or maybe tigers?

As for the second picture, there's all kinds of bizarre looking lichens and slime molds and stuff like that, so it could be something as boring as that. Please tell me that's not an extension cord running through it, though.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
How can a sperm swim when it's only one cell and has no muscles?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It has a flagellum. There are parts of the cell that act like a rotary motor for the flagellum, so it spins around like a propeller or whip.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

marshmallard posted:

Single celled movement is remarkably interesting and complex like you wouldn't believe. They basically have tiny engines in them powering their flagellum.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 17, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Has anyone taken a DiSC profile test?

How did it work and did you feel you could control the outcome?

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Are there any grizzly bears in your area, or maybe tigers?

As for the second picture, there's all kinds of bizarre looking lichens and slime molds and stuff like that, so it could be something as boring as that. Please tell me that's not an extension cord running through it, though.

No tigers, but my neighbor does own a large snow leopard.

and Yes, that is an extension cord that seems to have been unearthed from erosion, how else would I power my trees?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Single celled movement is remarkable interesting and complexe like you wouldn't believe. They basically have tiny engines in them powering their flagellum.

It's super crazy how things work at such a small scale. There's a neat essay called Life at Low Reynolds Number that goes into it (technical article, also PDF.)

Without getting too far into it, Reynolds number is ratio that gives us a "quick and dirty" number that tells us how easily something can move in a fluid. It's related to the size and velocity of the object, and the density of viscosity of the fluid. High Reynolds numbers mean that the effects from viscosity are minimal, and an object's inertia is important to consider. Most things at our scale in air have high Reynolds numbers. In water, human-sized things have lower Reynolds numbers, but it's still not crazy low. If you're swimming, there's clearly more resistance to move your arm than in the air, and you can't "coast" as far as in air, but if you stop paddling, you'll still go a few more feet.

But shrink yourself down to a microscopic scale and suddenly that number goes down with you. What effect does this have? Well, from the above link:

quote:

The Reynolds number for a man swimming in a liquid might be 10^4, if we put in reasonable dimensions, for a goldfish or a tiny guppy it might get down to 10^2. For the animals that we're going to be talking about, as we'll see in a moment it's about 10^-4 or 10^-5. For these animals inertia is totally irrelevant. We know that F=ma, but they could scarcely care less...If I have to push that animal to move it, and suddenly I stop pushing, how far will it coast before it slows down? The answer is, about 0.1 angstrom. And it takes it about 0.6 microsec to slow down. I think this makes it clear what low Reynolds number means. Inertia plays no role whatsoever. If you are at very low Reynolds number, what you are doing at the moment is entirely determined by the forces that are exerted on you at that moment, and by nothing in the past.

It helps to imagine under what conditions a man would be swimming at, say, the same Reynolds number as his own sperm. Well you put him in a swimming pool that is full of molasses, and the you forbid him to move any pare of his body faster than 1 cm/min. Now imagine yourself in that condition; you're under the swimming pool in molasses, and now you can only move like the hands of a clock. If under those ground rules you are able to move a few meters in a couple of weeks, you may qualify as a low Reynolds number swimmer.

So let's give those little guys a hand...they swim through what is, to them, the equivalent of miles and miles of molasses just for a chance to say "howdy, ma'am" to a sweet, young, impressionable egg.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

marshmallard posted:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm 23 and my hair is starting to thin out already on the top of my head.

Is there anything I can look into like Rogaine that could help? Is there an appropriate sub-forum or topic here that deals with early onset male hair-loss (I checked Goon Doctor and You Look Like poo poo)?

I'm okay with going full hair shave (did this in India a year ago), but I'd prefer not to at this age.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OrangeGuy posted:

Is there anything I can look into like Rogaine that could help? Is there an appropriate sub-forum or topic here that deals with early onset male hair-loss (I checked Goon Doctor and You Look Like poo poo)?

I'm okay with going full hair shave (did this in India a year ago), but I'd prefer not to at this age.
Do rogaine it's safe and cheap now and works on bald spots (but not receding hairlines). You just have to do it every day or that poo poo will fall out again.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've also heard castor oil is good for thickening hair back up to an extent. However: possibly not true.

A question: I'm entering a small local short film contest that projects the finalists onto a big screen in one of the town's theaters.

The films are home made and so aren't done with big budget cameras and are frequently standard definition, and are submitted via the internet so they're .avi/.mov/.wmv/whatever files.

Projecting these onto a big screen darkens them like crazy. Some of the films (those set in darker environments) are unwatchable because of this.

Can anyone tell me/link me to a tutorial for any filters/setting adjustments I can use to prevent this darkening beyond just upping the brightness and washing everything out? I've done a search but my google-foo is weak. Any help is appreciated. If it helps, I'm using adobe premiere.

Thanks!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

randyest posted:

Do rogaine it's safe and cheap now and works on bald spots (but not receding hairlines). You just have to do it every day or that poo poo will fall out again.

Wait, so you're saying I'd have to do this every single day indefinitely otherwise it will just go back to zero?

That kind of sucks. :(

Also, would anxiety or recessive genes have anything to do with early hair loss? I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of stress from four years of college plus additional anxiety and depression (being treated now) dealt a blow to my scalp.

Cabalxx
Feb 27, 2009
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with non audio/audible Alarm Clocks?

My Girlfriend is such a heavy sleeper that she has actually slept through an alarm beeping 54 times. I was sleeping in another room about 50 feet away and was awoken. I love her and don't want to murder her as she sets her alarm for a few hours before I wake up (Earlier work schedule) but I'm tired of my sleep pattern being messed with because she doesn't hear/register the sound.

The little bit of research I've done show's either bed shakers or light machines for an entire room. I had thought there was some sort of mask or something.

Anyhow, does anyone have a good source or any experience with this?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

Also, would anxiety or recessive genes have anything to do with early hair loss? I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of stress from four years of college plus additional anxiety and depression (being treated now) dealt a blow to my scalp.

"Recessive genes" do not work like that, despite what Metal Gear Solid says. That said, if you're asking "is there a genetic component to hair loss", then yes, there is. And yes, stress can also be a contributing factor (although as far as I can tell stress can be a contributing factor to basically everything).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Cabalxx posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with non audio/audible Alarm Clocks?

My Girlfriend is such a heavy sleeper that she has actually slept through an alarm beeping 54 times. I was sleeping in another room about 50 feet away and was awoken. I love her and don't want to murder her as she sets her alarm for a few hours before I wake up (Earlier work schedule) but I'm tired of my sleep pattern being messed with because she doesn't hear/register the sound.

The little bit of research I've done show's either bed shakers or light machines for an entire room. I had thought there was some sort of mask or something.

Anyhow, does anyone have a good source or any experience with this?

How about a vibrating watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OrangeGuy posted:

You have only three scientifically validated choices for beating it back.

A. Rogaine. You put something in your hair every day. You may get some regrowth but usually it just stalls you where you are. If you ever stop using it, your hair loss resumes.

B. Propecia. It is a pill you take every day but otherwise as per rogaine: If you stop, your hair loss resumes. May have sexual side effects.

C. Hair transplants. Incredibly expensive but probably permanent. It generally looks good. Some people opt to have a series of minor procedures over their life vs waiting for it to get bad and obvious.

I said gently caress all that and went for the shiny smooth head. It has its benefits.