Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

nyerf posted:

Ring update! I posted about a month ago asking for suggestions for custom ring jewelers as I was in the market for an engagement ring for my boyfriend. Thank you to all the goons who offered help, it did help direct my thinking a little bit on the matter.

In the end I've decided to shelve the matter of the custom family crest signet ring idea for the moment, saving that one as a wedding ring purchase for some time early next year hopefully. My boyfriend's sister has been roped into designing our potential newly created family crest - she's taking it really seriously and is attempting to learn heraldric principles just for the project. This was entirely unexpected and very sweet of her, I thought she'd just Photoshop me a quick 'sketch' that I could then pass on to the guys at Dexter (or whoever, I've recently gotten wind of a gentlegoon offering custom jewelry made here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500588 who seems to be able to do exactly the sort of signet rings Dexter makes) but there you go.

I did however enlist the services of Bruce T. Boone, titanium rings guy extraordinaire. I can't recommend Boone Rings enough (http://www.boonerings.com/) for the time he's spent answering all my questions and offering suggestions in a really, really timely manner. The man literally replied to every email within the day, usually within the space of hours, was unendingly polite, and of course - produced a ring for me to the letter of what I asked for, of extremely fine quality and workmanship. Don't let his apparently plain website put you off, you can pretty much ask for just about any ring on there to be customized in whatever way you can think of based on the dizzying array of options he can offer. On top of which he has a manufacturing turnaround time of less than a week. It took just over a week for the ring I ordered to be completed, and that was because he had to wait on Chatham Labs to send him the stone I wanted set. He kindly organised the stone from Chatham labs for me at a jeweler's discount, which was a great help. He then Fedex'd it on this week on Monday, and it was in my hands by lunchtime Friday here in Australia, all the way from Roswell, GA, USA. Fantastic service, and hopefully my boyfriend takes the hint to go to him for my ring too.

So, some pictures. Here is Bruce's own picture of the completed ring, pre-engraving:

This thing is huge. Ring size 12.5, and the ring metal is a mirror-polished cobalt chrome with beveled edging. It feels solid and heavy. The cobalt chrome is supposed to be a whiter look and heavier feel than a titanium equivalent, but obviously nothing like platinum in cost. The inlay across the top is a slice of Gibeon meteorite, which is light grey in colour and scrazzled with crazy looking Widmanstätten lines. Apparently these lines are caused by the space-borne metal from a far-off galactic explosion event cooling very slowly over millions of years. The whole from-space factor sold me very quickly on it. This is paired with a tension set Chatham Labs created ruby. They grow rubies identical to those found in the ground minus the inclusions using a hell of a lot of electricity. Something incredibly old and new at the same time, using SCIENCE! :science:

More pictures. These were taken with a phone camera, so apologies if the colour balance is subpar. Also the ballpoint pen writing on my hand hasn't washed off properly so it does look grubby.

Now to organise when to ask him to marry me. I was thinking post abseiling down a local hydroelectric dam which is set in very beautiful surrounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Dam). It stands 34 stories high, so I figure it'd be a good metaphor for taking the plunge into this whole marriage/family thing. He does have an intense, visceral fear of heights however so this may not be such a good idea. I have hinted that this would be A Fun Thing To Do On A Weekend and he just about dry-retched just thinking of the height he would be suspended over.

My current vague back-up idea is to book a weekend cabin in the mountains and do the proposing behind a waterfall (can be seen here http://youtu.be/kmpnrP2ePpo), but the weather here at the moment is freezing. Thoughts?

Man, I'm so nervous. My hands shook when I took the ring out of its box for the first time! Also, this has been an amazing experience so far - I'm incredibly excited and glad I've decided to go the non-traditional, not-waiting-for-a-proposal route. When we've talked about it previously we'd always thought it would only be fair if both of us got to be proposed to and ring-shopped for, so far so good.

e: To give an idea of scale - It's an emerald-cut 5x7 mm ruby, the ring band width is only just slightly over the long length of the stone. My fingers are in the size 6 range by comparison.

Cool ring! How much a ring like this cost approximatly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009
Has anyone had to hide the fact that you found the ring before your significant other proposed?

I ask because I just found a package in the mail (the mail I was told I shouldn't check for a while, but I wanted the electric bill) from the jewelry store I chose a ring from.

I left all the mail in the box so he doesn't know I found it, but I don't know if I can keep a straight face when he gets home from work tonight. Not to mention I haven't been able to focus on my work all day.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

BrightestCrayon posted:

Has anyone had to hide the fact that you found the ring before your significant other proposed?

You're a bad person for checking the mail and he's a bad person for sending the ring to your house instead of some other location like a friend or his office. :v:

Seriously though, If my fiance had found out, I probably would have preferred she didn't say anything until AFTER I had proposed. That way your partner can go ahead with whatever they had planned. Afterwards, you can let it slip that you think you found the package beforehand but didn't want to say anything so as to not ruin the plans. If you go and say "hey I found the ring!", at least if I was in that situation, I would have felt like it would have deflated the whole proposal.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Getting married in 10 days and we still haven't agreed on any readings for our officiant to read during the ceremony. The bride to be is super-stressed with the rest of the wedding planning so the task of finding something good has fallen to me. Any recommendations for places to look or ways to go about finding something? As long as it's not religious in any way, I'm open to considering just about anything. I've googled it up and there seem to be quite a few sites with lists of readings out there, but haven't had a lot of things pop out at me yet so I figured I'd ask here.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Shakespeare is a pretty popular reading choice for civil ceremonies, and I had to read the lyrics to the Beatles song In My Life at a wedding last year which worked really well once I got over the urge to sing them. Try and find a poem or song that means something to both of you I guess?

Nerd answer: I've heard of Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech being used for a reading. :v:

Good luck in finding something and I'm sure you'll have an amazing day!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

smashthedean posted:

Getting married in 10 days and we still haven't agreed on any readings for our officiant to read during the ceremony. The bride to be is super-stressed with the rest of the wedding planning so the task of finding something good has fallen to me. Any recommendations for places to look or ways to go about finding something? As long as it's not religious in any way, I'm open to considering just about anything. I've googled it up and there seem to be quite a few sites with lists of readings out there, but haven't had a lot of things pop out at me yet so I figured I'd ask here.

Shakespeare is always popular, as Party Boat said;

Sonnet 116 posted:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

uraninjs
Sep 26, 2010

smashthedean posted:

We chose an excerpt from "I Like You", by Sandol Stoddard Warburg and "To Love is Not to Possess" by James Kavanaugh. It was hard to find things not overly religious or cheesy.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

uraninjs posted:

It was hard to find things not overly religious or cheesy.

Right? That's what I'm running into a lot. So far the best two things we've found to agree on are a selection from the I Ching (which she really likes) that goes:

I Ching posted:

When two people are at one
in their inmost hearts,
they shatter even the strength of iron or bronze.
And when two people understand each other
in their inmost hearts,
their words are sweet and strong,
like the fragrance of orchids.

And then I'm actually leaning towards the Beatles song recommendation from Party Boat (thanks!), but she's being slow about reading my email to see if she likes it too.

FAKE EDIT: Actually she just emailed me back and said the Beatles lyrics made her cry and she liked them a lot so I think that's in!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That Beatles song is our last dance, it's a pretty popular choice it seems!

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
I'm keeping our ceremony as non-religious as possible (his family is Catholic, though, so we are having a very short moment of silence for everyone to say a blessing for us in their own way).

I'm having an excerpt from Sense & Sensibility read by two of my bridesmaids:

"When he was present she had no eyes for anyone else. Everything he did was right. Everything he said was clever. If their evenings at the Park were concluded with cards, he cheated himself and all the rest of the party to get her a good hand. If dancing formed the amusement of the night, they were partners for half the time; and when obliged to separate for a couple of dances, were careful to stand together, and scarcely spoke a word to anybody else. Such conduct made them, of course, most exceedingly laughed at; but ridicule could not shame, and seemed hardly to provoke them."

I adore Jane Austen, and he admits that he likes her books as well, so it works out perfectly. Not only that, it describes us pretty accurately.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Niagalack posted:

Cool ring! How much a ring like this cost approximatly?

It was a custom job from Boone Rings, which was really a sort of conglomerate of several different styles that you can find on his website. I was quoted $840 for the ring itself, from memory, which includes workmanship, engraving, meteorite inlay and would have been done in titanium except I wanted to have it done in cobalt chrome which was another $100. Apparently cobalt chrome is much harder to work with. He's apparently getting some new fangled laser cutting machines in later this year that can allow for more adventurous custom designing of tension setting rings, but I was already impressed with the changes he could make to the existing templates anyway.

The ruby I had Bruce Boone himself source from Chatham Labs direct since he gets a jeweler's discount. When I emailed Chatham about buying a stone myself initially they pointed me in the direction of an online shop called Jewelry Impressions (http://www.jewelryimpressions.com/loose-chatham-created-ruby-stones.html) but they were easily a hundred dollars more expensive for the same thing. You can have just about any hard stone set in this type of setting though, email Bruce for details. I've seen people on PriceScope send him their very precious and fancy diamonds to be tension set, and it comes out looking hella awesome.

Shipping I think was $50, but he did Fedex it internationally (and I got it within the same week it shipped), so not sure how much that would end up being for you.

BrightestCrayon posted:

He wants to believe that you'll be surprised, I'm sure. And even if not I'm sure you'll react with such unbridled joy when the moment comes it won't matter if its not quite such a surprise!

I suspect my other half has already spotted the detritus of packaging that the ring I ordered for him came in, including the certificate Bruce sent with the ring about the meteorite inlay. I've been carrying the box around in my work bag, awkwardly jammed into a purple sock to keep it hidden. But then again, he already knows I would be getting him a ring and I got quite a lot of input from him as to what styles he liked! I do wonder if he has any suspicions about our adventure weekend away that I'm planning to spring the ring on him on. Given that he also reads the forums, maybe I should worry about him finding these posts but knowing him he would never set foot in this thread. He's more an A/T Ancient Roman History and the Rise of Loincloths sort of guy.

He's tentatively agreed to do a baby abseil down this dam of about 30m. According to the people who run these things there's usually enough time on the day to do more than one abseil, and of different heights, so he can try a short one and see how he'd go. I'm gunning for the full 140m for myself, but that's partly because I am clearly insane. I have already let the trip organizers in on my 'secret plan', so I'm hoping to get them to hold the camera at the moment of truth. If they'll take a booking for the 15th/16th of September I could maybe be engaged in a month's time! :aaaaa:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Speaking of The Beatles, this is what I'm walking down the aisle too :blush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mMUplpts8

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

For some reason I am more nervous about calling her dad than proposing, even though he is the most easy going, friendly guy. I guess its because he's on the quiet side and we never really talked at great length. I think what to say is pretty straight forward, so I should probably just, uh, do it.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
There are two different readings we like:

quote:

“Union” by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.
These symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

And more along my fiance's taste:

quote:

"To Diego and Frida" (Tina Modotti's toast) from the movie Frida
I don't believe in marriage. No, I really don't. Let me be clear about that. I think at worst it's a hostile political act, a way for small-minded men to keep women in the house and out of the way, wrapped up in the guise of tradition and conservative religious nonsense. At best, it's a happy delusion - these two people who truly love each other and have no idea how truly miserable they're about to make each other. But, but, when two people know that, and they decide with eyes wide open to face each other and get married anyway, then I don't think it's conservative or delusional. I think it's radical and courageous and very romantic.

Having a hard time deciding what song will play when I go down the aisle, but I'm leaning towards this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ak0-VFSfEk

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
We did a combination of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward's vows, whereever they originally came from, The Art of Marriage, I think, and the Robert Fulgham thang together, as well as a teeny bit of Do you take _____ at the end:

"
You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.
These symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created. In the Art of Marriage: The little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say 'I love you' at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry. It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is finding room for the things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.
Do you, Joe, take Teresa to be your lawfully wedded wife? Do you, Teresa, take JOe to be your lawfully wedded husband" etc, etc" and then BAM SEALED WITH A KISS, BITCHES

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Toriori posted:

Speaking of The Beatles, this is what I'm walking down the aisle too :blush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mMUplpts8

Ohhhhh this made me cry such happy tears. Congrats and what a great choice!

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Fiance moving back across state after being here only two weeks :(

No more wedding. :sigh:

Think I'm going to give the ring back.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

anaaki posted:

Fiance moving back across state after being here only two weeks :(

No more wedding. :sigh:

Think I'm going to give the ring back.

That sucks :( I'm so sorry. Living together was too stressful? It is a big adjustment to make...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Vortex Street posted:

Ohhhhh this made me cry such happy tears. Congrats and what a great choice!
Thanks! I love love love The Beatles and think that version is so sweet and perfect. I cry really easily so I'm pretty concerned I'll be a sobbing mess when the music starts, when I see him and when my dad takes my arm. Maybe I shouldn't bother with makeup, haha.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Picked up our wedding bands today. Holy crap my jeweler is the best. He found me the setting I wanted, with the stones I wanted, in platinum, for less than $1k.

Less than three months left.

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOOOWN

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I can chime in about readings.

My dad read this poem by Richard Wilbur. He is Catholic and my husband and I are not, so I felt it was a way to acknowledge my dad specifically as a religious man and it made him more comfortable to have that element of faith incorporated into a secular ceremony.

quote:

"Wedding Toast" by Richard Wilbur

St. John tells how, at Cana's wedding feast,
The water-pots poured wine in such amount
That by his sober count
There were a hundred gallons at the least.

It made no earthly sense, unless to show
How whatsoever love elects to bless
Brims to a sweet excess
That can without depletion overflow.

Which is to say that what love sees is true;
That this world's fullness is not made but found.
Life hungers to abound
And pour its plenty out for such as you.

Now, if your loves will lend an ear to mine,
I toast you both, dear new son and good daughter.
May you not lack for water,
And may that water smack of Cana's wine.

And the minister read the popular Paul Newman letter to his wife Joan Woodward.

quote:

"Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created. In the art of marriage, the little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say 'I love you' at least once a day. It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon; it should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have the wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding, and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual, and obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner."

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I feel really dumb for asking this question, but here it goes. How do you go about booking a block of rooms for your guests? Do you have to ask each guest whether or not they will be staying in a hotel? Our wedding is about two hours from where we live, so while many of our friends will probably drive down for the wedding and drive back immediately afterward, a lot of them will probably stay the night. Do you just give the hotel a ballpark number and if so, are we responsible for putting down a deposit for each and every room that might potentially be booked? (We aren't planning on paying for anyone's rooms.) How far in advance is it typically done?

e: On the subject of readings, I am probably going to goony hell for admitting this, but I really like this quote from Deep Space Nine about Klingon marriage. :kiddo:

General Martok posted:

"We are not accorded the luxury of choosing the women we fall in love with. Do you think Sirella is anything like the woman I thought I'd marry? She is a mercurial, arrogant, prideful woman who shares my bed far too infrequently for my taste. And yet... I love her deeply. We Klingons often tout our prowess in battle and our desire for honor and glory above all else... but how hollow is the sound of victory without someone to share it with. And Honor gives little comfort to a man alone in his home... and in his heart."

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 19, 2012

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

pastor of muppets posted:

I feel really dumb for asking this question, but here it goes. How do you go about booking a block of rooms for your guests? Do you have to ask each guest whether or not they will be staying in a hotel? Our wedding is about two hours from where we live, so while many of our friends will probably drive down for the wedding and drive back immediately afterward, a lot of them will probably stay the night. Do you just give the hotel a ballpark number and if so, are we responsible for putting down a deposit for each and every room that might potentially be booked? (We aren't planning on paying for anyone's rooms.) How far in advance is it typically done?

I set up my block about two months in advance (but planned the whole wedding in three months so YMMV). The hotel said that we were responsible for filling a certain number of rooms. I think we reserved 20 and had to fill 10. You don't need to check with each guest, but you might want to check with your families. Our families alone filled ten rooms, and we got extras for people coming in from out of state in case they wanted to use them. You just put the info on your wedding website and people will find it. They call the hotel themselves and make a reservation in the _____ Wedding block.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

We booked rooms at two hotels. All they wanted was a number of rooms we expected to be booked. They held the rooms for a certain amount of time at the discount rate (think it was until 1 month before the wedding), then just released them if no reservation was made. Didn't have to put anything down, or book a specific number of rooms.

We booked the rooms before we sent out our invitations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

e: On the subject of readings, I am probably going to goony hell for admitting this, but I really like this quote from Deep Space Nine about Klingon marriage. :kiddo:

You contact the hotel and set up a block of rooms for your wedding. You generally give a ballpark but if they ask you to be responsible the hotel is trying to take advantage of you. Unless maybe it was Atlantis or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

My fiancee knows someone whose best man recited the 'fear is the mind killer' thing from Dune for a speech.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

signalnoise posted:

My fiancee knows someone whose best man recited the 'fear is the mind killer' thing from Dune for a speech.

Ahahah! My boyfriend and I have matching bene gesserit tattoos with the first couple lines from the litany against fear but that is so not wedding appropriate! Ha!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I can finally join this thread for real :woop:

So so so so happy with the ring. We mutually agreed on the setting and I researched the hell out of diamonds to pick the center stone (all done online). He's hung onto it since May, while I was having a hell of a time trying to "forget about it" (silly boy) so he could surprise me. It is definitely a surprise to plan a Caribbean vacation together, where I expected it to happen during, and then pop the question two weeks before we leave for it! (and he was able to involve our doggie :3:)

I can't get my iphone camera to do it justice - it is seriously blindingly white and has so much fire, plus medium blue fluorescence. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Specs:
.75c
D
SI1 (eyeclean)
Ideal 0/0/0 cut, hearts and arrows, beautiful ASET/Idealscope images, the whole 9 yards in cut.

And these feelings for the ring don't even come close to how over-the-moon I am for starting this life with my love! We've lived together for almost 2 years, but now it's different.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I'm having troubles figuring out gifts for the groomsmen/ring bearer. I want something not cliche, but am really stumped as to what to do. I was thinking off engraved flasks for the groomsmen, but not quite sure. What have you guys done?

And for the ringbearer, I really want to get something nice since the ringbearer is my son.

My second issue lies in with my future Father in Law. He always wears hats, and is bald, and my fiancee wants to allow him to wear his hat at the reception, and I just find it to be a little tacky, and don't want other people seeing him wearing his hat and go out and get their hats to wear as well. We're trying really hard to keep this wedding as classy as possible, with out being horrible people about it. He had a medical condition that caused him to lose all his hair on his body, and I can understand his self consciousness about it, but he doesn't seem to be willing to look at any different style hats that might better fit the attire. So, I might just need to accept defeat on this.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I'm having troubles figuring out gifts for the groomsmen/ring bearer. I want something not cliche, but am really stumped as to what to do. I was thinking off engraved flasks for the groomsmen, but not quite sure. What have you guys done?

And for the ringbearer, I really want to get something nice since the ringbearer is my son.

My second issue lies in with my future Father in Law. He always wears hats, and is bald, and my fiancee wants to allow him to wear his hat at the reception, and I just find it to be a little tacky, and don't want other people seeing him wearing his hat and go out and get their hats to wear as well. We're trying really hard to keep this wedding as classy as possible, with out being horrible people about it. He had a medical condition that caused him to lose all his hair on his body, and I can understand his self consciousness about it, but he doesn't seem to be willing to look at any different style hats that might better fit the attire. So, I might just need to accept defeat on this.

Get something that makes sense for you. Flasks are a good, traditional gift but if you (or your groomsmen) don't drink it's kind of weird.

Hat is a very vague term. If it's a baseball cap then, yes, that is tacky. If it's a fedora or even a nice canvas hat then that sounds fine. I think saying "no hat" is a great way to piss your future father in law off, and cause trouble for your fiancee, for a pretty low reward. It is probably fair to ask "Instead of his Yankees hat could he wear something nicer?" If he says no you have to ask yourself if it's really worth pissing him. As far as people seeing him wear his hat, think about this for a second. Also, how big a concern is it that someone will see his hat on, leave, and get their hat from the back seat of their car?

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

JackRabbitStorm posted:

One of my friends just pinned this, I thought it was pretty cool: http://pinterest.com/pin/257831147388002537/?timeline=1

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

That is very cool indeed! :)

I became engaged in December. My engagement ring is currently a diamond inside a safety deposit box. I've been reading this thread with interest in regard to designing one's own ring. Thanks for the ideas, folks.

My mother in law is baking our cake. She has made wedding cakes in the past for family members. She wants to make fondant flowers. It's so labor intensive. My fiance is the first of her children to be married and she wants it to be perfect. I wonder if I can convince her to have (non-toxic/edible) fresh flowers on the cake.
She is also making the bridesmaid dress for my sister-in-law and is altering my wedding dress. I appreciate all of her help and don't want her to be overwhelmed, but she keeps insisting. At least my mother-in-law doesn't hate me, right?

-edit-
How can I gently tell my mother-in-law that she is helping more than enough?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

FengShuiNinja posted:

That is very cool indeed! :)

I became engaged in December. My engagement ring is currently a diamond inside a safety deposit box. I've been reading this thread with interest in regard to designing one's own ring. Thanks for the ideas, folks.

My mother in law is baking our cake. She has made wedding cakes in the past for family members. She wants to make fondant flowers. It's so labor intensive. My fiance is the first of her children to be married and she wants it to be perfect. I wonder if I can convince her to have (non-toxic/edible) fresh flowers on the cake.
She is also making the bridesmaid dress for my sister-in-law and is altering my wedding dress. I appreciate all of her help and don't want her to be overwhelmed, but she keeps insisting. At least my mother-in-law doesn't hate me, right?

-edit-
How can I gently tell my mother-in-law that she is helping more than enough?

Your MIL sounds cool. :) I would just tell her that you appreciate the help and love that she is pitching in. Honestly, as things get closer, you are really going to wish you had more help, not less! My step-mom sourced out many details of my wedding and it took a lot of pressure off me that she was able to find good deals and organize things. Just be grateful, essentially. If it really bugs you, give her specific tasks to obsess over that you don't care too much about.

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus

JackRabbitStorm posted:

My husband bought knives for his groomsmen and had them engraved with their names. They were a bit expensive, they were super cool survival knives with a flint and all sorts of other cool accesories. Not sure if your son is old enough for a knife though. Maybe an engraved watch?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
The wedding is this Saturday and I can't wait for it to be over. There are so many small details that have to be worked out and remembered and I'm afraid the whole reception is going to just fall apart when no one knows when the toasts are, or that the timing will be all wrong for the dances because the audio system where we are supposed to plug in the ipod is in another room downstairs, and a million other things like that. The whole bridal party and both our parents are from out of town, so other than the rehearsal, there won't be much chance to discuss things with everybody and all the task delegation will be done last minute. This is the exact thing that makes me a nervous wreck and unable to enjoy my own parties and I really can't envision a scenario where I'm able to relax and have a good time.

Hobson
Oct 19, 2009

This is not the way I wish to be remembered.
My boyfriend was asked to be a groomsman at his sisters wedding earlier this year. Now, I've constantly asked him what the suit situation was like and he kept telling me his sister and the groom haven't said anything to him about it. Well, the wedding is in 27 days and the last thing he heard this weekend was maybe they'll go sometime after Tuesday. Still no definite plans and still no idea what he needs to wear.

I know it's not my problem but I can't help but worry. Are they cutting it too close? And just out of curiosity, when are the suits typically reserved?

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

Betazoid posted:

Your MIL sounds cool. :) I would just tell her that you appreciate the help and love that she is pitching in. Honestly, as things get closer, you are really going to wish you had more help, not less! My step-mom sourced out many details of my wedding and it took a lot of pressure off me that she was able to find good deals and organize things. Just be grateful, essentially. If it really bugs you, give her specific tasks to obsess over that you don't care too much about.

She's been fantastic. I've known her for years. Her health isn't the best and she works full time. My only concern is she is going to run herself into the ground if she keeps assigning herself more tasks. I didn't mention that I have a very large family and any other things that need to be assigned can be given to cousins, aunts, my sister or brothers, or my mother. If most of my fiance's family wasn't in Venezuela, we'd have quadruple the amount of help.

I remember when my brother got married. He and his wife were legally married in the courthouse, but the cultural ceremony lasted all day. It started early in the morning at our house, moved to the bride's family home where we had a very large lunch buffet with a roast pig and traditional foods, then we celebrated again with both family and friends at a large restaurant.

My wedding won't be that elaborate. My wedding is probably be more western than eastern style. I'm hoping for a short ceremony and then hang out with folks at the reception. The word of the day is SIMPLE. So far my mother is providing the location, the money for, and much of the delegation of the wedding. My fiance and I had originally planned on a courthouse wedding with a large reception to follow but our families struck that idea down immediately. I'm the youngest of five children by at least 12 years and my fiance is the first to get married so a wedding is a big deal for our families. I'm fine with whatever since my parents are paying for it and refuse to allow my fiance or myself to help financially. The wedding is for our mothers and I don't mind they are running the show.

I asked my mother if I could wear her wedding dress, but she got rid of it years ago. It was this amazing long-sleeved peach lace dress. The thing I am least excited about is dress shopping. My brother's wife said she rented her dresses (she changed clothes 3 times at her wedding) and I'd like to see if I could go that route.

I think the only thing I care about is the engagement photos. I'm pretty easy going. My only worries are my relatives working themselves to death on the wedding and not wanting the wedding to be a financial burden on my parents. I'm 28...I really wish they would let me pitch in financially. :(

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
The groomsmen received a multitool as their gift. Not very romantic but very practical. My brother-in-law wears his on a daily basis.

Knockknees posted:

The wedding is this Saturday and I can't wait for it to be over. There are so many small details that have to be worked out and remembered and I'm afraid the whole reception is going to just fall apart when no one knows when the toasts are, or that the timing will be all wrong for the dances because the audio system where we are supposed to plug in the ipod is in another room downstairs, and a million other things like that. The whole bridal party and both our parents are from out of town, so other than the rehearsal, there won't be much chance to discuss things with everybody and all the task delegation will be done last minute. This is the exact thing that makes me a nervous wreck and unable to enjoy my own parties and I really can't envision a scenario where I'm able to relax and have a good time.

First - breathe! Second - I know this takes time but can you write out any instructions or agendas ahead of time? That way when it is go time, you can hand out what you need and not have to be there in person to do everything. Third - do you have a VIP that is not in the wedding party be a delegate? Someone that knows what you want and can coordinate things while you are busy? An aunt or niece or close friend? That way you can enjoy your time and not be hounded every few minutes with questions and texts.

As a micromanager, I feel your pain.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knockknees posted:

Well, I understand that this is something that really tortures people with certain personalities. But if it makes you feel any better, this is exactly what happens at every major event ever. I'm a musician and I have played only a very few professional gigs, but every single last one of them was a flat-out mess until the event actually happened. And every single last one of them LOOKED amazing to everyone who attended/watched/whatever.

So I guess this is just a reassurance that impressive-looking things that require good timing and good planning look exactly like how your wedding looks in the late planning stages. Those events all go off without a hitch despite everyone running around with their head cut off, and yours will too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ooooooh gently caress. So I'm eating breakfast when my dad says "I'm starting to have a moral dilemma about the wedding." gently caress, I know what's coming. "I'm having a dilemma about nonno (his father) coming by himself and just...well, just thinking about my sisters." gently caress, gently caress, gently caress. I am NOT inviting those assholes, there is no way his bitchy sisters and bitchy nieces are coming 100 feet within my wedding. They're awful. For example, his one sister works at the health unit, and once a year I have to go there to refill my birth control. Want to know how I feel every time I think about having to go to the health unit? Total and absolute dread that I'll have to see her. I pray he doesn't bring up this moral dilemma to my mom because she will actually flip. I told him I don't think it's a good idea because when I see them in public they pretend to not notice me, like I don't even exist. I told him I can understand why he would feel that way but just...ugh. His only family is his father and sisters (and their respective families), but he doesn't talk to his sisters because of all the dumb poo poo they've pulled. I think I need to just remind him that all of his friends will be there and it's going to be great, we can put my nonno with my fiance's family because he gets along very well with my father in law.

E: They're so awful, my very first post in this thread was asking how to tell my dad his sisters aren't invited.