Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

Undead Tailfnz posted:

Question about these guys: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440272a&prodId=prod1600054a

Are the heads already on the models, or are the head spaces open for putting in whatever head/helmet you want? I'm not really a fan of the faces of those bottom two and would rather just put some helmeted heads on instead.

heads already on. But if they are finecast, should be able to remove easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

It's finecast, who knows? :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Of all the innumerable lovely Warhammer forums out there, I think Dakka has the worst search function. Warseer is a close second, but really, finding anything on Dakka is ballache.

Why aren't there any forums like this thread... but forum sized? Sadly that's a rhetorical question.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

And I hope that's how they play out. But because of how the Dakkajet's weapons are mounted, it can be hard to be able to shoot at some targets. You can't pivot before you shoot, and all the weapons are hull mounted. So when they arrive, they move on 18". The target still has to be far enough away from the jet so that all the weapons can shoot at it, which may be hard to do. It seems like there would be a lot of situations where firing twice would be really hard to do, and even some cases where firing once would be hard. Maybe it's nothing, but it seems like they should have some more flexible targeting rules.

I don't think you need to worry. Even though the firing arcs don't converge right in front of the jet, they don't need to because most targets will be big enough or spread out enough to fall under every arc. I don't know how far the guns are spread apart on the dakkajet, but my razorwing has wing mounted dark lances and their (not very) limited firing arcs have never been an issue.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
/\ /\ Awesome. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm probably stressing over nothing.

Phyresis posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I just measured all the "cones of fire" on my Dakkajet (which does have a twin-linked supa shoota mounted to the nose, btw) and the thing can shoot at any target that's more than like 4" away. It's a non-issue. 45° is a huge arc of sight.

This is good news. On your jet, how far away from each other are the two farthest guns?

And it's 45' with the center of the barrel down the middle, right? 22.5' on each side? If the guns are 6" apart, say... wouldn't that require the target to be at least 12" away to fire all of the guns?

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 16, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

WhiteWolf123 posted:

This is good news. On your jet, how far away from each other are the two farthest guns?

4.5"

WhiteWolf123 posted:

And it's 45' with the center of the barrel down the middle, right? 22.5' on each side? If the guns are 6" apart, say... wouldn't that require the target to be at least 12" away to fire all of the guns?

Yeah it's a 45° traverse, which is dumb as hell. How are you supposed to eyeball 22.5°? Anyway as best as I can measure 22.5° without a protractor, the cones of fire converge roughly 4" away from the nose of the Dakkajet.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Of all the innumerable lovely Warhammer forums out there, I think Dakka has the worst search function. Warseer is a close second, but really, finding anything on Dakka is ballache.

Why aren't there any forums like this thread... but forum sized? Sadly that's a rhetorical question.

Don't use a site's search function, just use google limited to the site instead. Try this in google:

Site:dakkadakka.com stuff

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Phyresis posted:

4.5"

Yeah it's a 45° traverse, which is dumb as hell. How are you supposed to eyeball 22.5°? Anyway as best as I can measure 22.5° without a protractor, the cones of fire converge roughly 4" away from the nose of the Dakkajet.

Kick rear end. Thanks for the info man. It seemed a lot further in my head when trying to visualize the 22.5' angles on each side.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Kick rear end. Thanks for the info man. It seemed a lot further in my head when trying to visualize the 22.5' angles on each side.

If you know the distance between the outer guns you can do the math:

Assuming a distance of 8" between them you can make a right triangle that ends where all the guns intersect.

Know angles are: 90 and 67.5, know length is 4" (half the total distance. Using a little geometry you come up with 10.4525" ahead of the model as the convergence point where all guns can hit the same target if it's dead in front.

If the distance between the two outer guns is less than 8" then it will be closer, if it's more than the distance will be further.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Supreme Court posted:

Don't use a site's search function, just use google limited to the site instead. Try this in google:

Site:dakkadakka.com stuff

Cheers.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

So here's a couple questions. I'm trying to get into 40k seeing as my closest game store is into it as opposed to Warmachine, and I've been jonesing to play a tabletop mini game. Based solely on coolness factor I decided that Grey Knights looked pretty bitchin, and one of the neater HQs is Castellan Crowe. After buying and painting him I've come to discover that on the internet people despise Grey Knights players, and in particular the purifier spam that Crowe is designed for. So I figured I would grab Draigo because he is also neat as hell and build an army around him using a 10 man paladin squad and a 10 man Grey Knight strike squad along with maybe a couple dreadnoughts or dreadknights, and then the appropriate transports to move em around, whether that's a rhino or a stormraven. When looking for army suggestions online though conversation on Draigo always seems to drift towards "Draigowing," which to me looks like nothing but pure paladin spam in the same vein as Crowe, just different units. That being said;

Are Grey Knights players really as reviled as people make it seem online? I saw poo poo where people would go so far as to claim they would walk away from the table once you fielded Crowe with purifiers or Draigowing. It's obviously loving retards spewing hyperbole, but even if it's just a fantasy in their heads I hate to think that people would be secretly hating my guts just for playing an army I think is neato. :ohdear:

Secondly, are Grey Knights really as overpowered/inherently spammy as it seems? I would love to run a complex and varied army, but from the lists being shown off online it seems like that's uncommon (not that I appreciate any nuances to making armies at this point.) If it's that bad I can almost understand why people don't like Grey Knights.

I would love any generalized input on Grey Knights and making an army as a whole really though, as someone who's both new to 40k and the faction itself.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The vast vast vast majority of gamers, of any type, on the internet are maladjusted and/or remedial cunts. Ignore them and paint what you want.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

Assuming a distance of 8" between them you can make a right triangle that ends where all the guns intersect.

Know angles are: 90 and 67.5, know length is 4" (half the total distance. Using a little geometry you come up with 10.4525" ahead of the model as the convergence point where all guns can hit the same target if it's dead in front.

If the distance between the two outer guns is less than 8" then it will be closer, if it's more than the distance will be further.

Thanks for the math on that. It helps out quite a bit.

The other factor to consider here is the width of the unit you're firing at. The wider it is, the point where the 22.5' arcs "intersect" will widen; therefore allowing all guns to fire at the target even closer.

I don't know the exact math for it, but I'd be interested in knowing how close I need to be to a front facing of an enemy Rhino (3" across) if my guns are spaced 6" apart. Can you apply the math to that if it's not too hard?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CyberLord XP posted:

It won't be 10.x" infront of the model will it, but 10.x" infront of the line on which the guns sit? The nose of the dakkajet looks to be several inches infront of the gun line.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Paladin spam and Purifier spam are bad lists that are good at beating bad players. Most of the vitriol you see online is because of that fact.

Grey Knights were slightly ahead of the curve in 5th, a problem exacerbated by the fact that they were relatively cheap and quick to paint. 6th edition brought them much more in line.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Lungboy posted:

It won't be 10.x" infront of the model will it, but 10.x" infront of the line on which the guns sit? The nose of the dakkajet looks to be several inches infront of the gun line.

This is correct. It would be from the point directly in between the two outside-most supa shootas.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Paladin spam and Purifier spam are bad lists that are good at beating bad players. Most of the vitriol you see online is because of that fact.

Grey Knights were slightly ahead of the curve in 5th, a problem exacerbated by the fact that they were relatively cheap and quick to paint. 6th edition brought them much more in line.

yeah, the drop to AP3 on most of their weapons and their inaccessibility to cheap flyers has brought them in line a little more.

Honestly if you build a list with cool models you won't get grief.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
There really are people who rage about GK, even some posters in this thread. Surprisingly there hasn't been much complaining about them since 6th edition hit, even though I feel like they are stronger than they used to be because they have access to a bunch of great allies. GK army lists tend to be really spammy because, well, there aren't actually a lot of great choices in the Codex. That and they all have similar weapons and stats (except for Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands.)

I have no idea why anyone ever complained about that Purifier list, it's not very good. Draigo lists always gravitate towards Draigowing because a regular Grey Knight Grand Master is much better for most other purposes. If you give him a Nemesis Warding Stave, empyrean brain mines, and psychotroke grenades he becomes one of the most beastly challengers in the game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Well, the single point of convergence for 6" apart is 7.24264". If you are aiming at something with a 3" total size you basically lop off the first half of the triangle, so about 3.7 inches. Again, this is only if they are directly in front of the middle of the model.

Lungboy posted:

Correct.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

Well, the single point of convergence for 6" apart is 7.24264". If you are aiming at something with a 3" total size you basically lop off the first half of the triangle, so about 3.7 inches.

This is awesome. Thanks.

CyberLord XP posted:

Again, this is only if they are directly in front of the middle of the model.

Oh, they will be. :black101:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Lychguard aren't worth taking anymore, what would you guys recommend to have my Lord hang out with so he doesn't die horribly? Immortals or Warriors?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

If Lychguard aren't worth taking anymore, what would you guys recommend to have my Lord hang out with so he doesn't die horribly? Immortals or Warriors?

I don't think they're any worse than they were before, and warscythes are pretty sweet now that they're one of the very few AP2 weapons that strike before I1. Whether they were worth taking in the first place is up to you though.

Overlords go well with pretty much anything really, sticking them with warriors/immortals is fine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ghetto wormhole posted:

I don't think they're any worse than they were before, and warscythes are pretty sweet now that they're one of the very few AP2 weapons that strike before I1. Whether they were worth taking in the first place is up to you though.

Overlords go well with pretty much anything really, sticking them with warriors/immortals is fine.

Ah I made mine with the sword and board not the war scythes.

I think I'll give 20 warriors with Zahndrek and Obyron a try.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

Ah I made mine with the sword and board not the war scythes.

So did I. It's not like you can't run a sub-optimal unit or three once in awhile (or all the time). In all likelihood most of your opponents will be too. There are LOTS of things that are a lot worse than sword/shield Lychguard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ghetto wormhole posted:

So did I. It's not like you can't run a sub-optimal unit or three once in awhile (or all the time). In all likelihood most of your opponents will be too. There are LOTS of things that are a lot worse than sword/shield Lychguard.

True, and I have a tendancy to choose stuff I like, which is often the suboptimal choices. I'm a little tired of losing horribly in most games because they chose only the super good stuff and I did not.

Dammit I have 20 points left and this is the list i just wrote up

Zahndrekh HQ 185

Obyron 160

Cryptek 50
Harbringer of the storm, lightning field, aeon crystal

20 Warriors 260

20 warriors 260

5 immortals 85

5 triach praetorians 200

5 lychguard 225

3 wraiths 130
1 trans beamer, 2 whip coils

4 destroyers 160

annhilation barge 90

doom scythe 175

Crap, I hate how copy pasting from excel formats.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Can I glue in Necron rods in before I spray varnish or does it need to be after? Anyone know if they fog?

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Enentol posted:

Can I glue in Necron rods in before I spray varnish or does it need to be after? Anyone know if they fog?

Test a piece of green sprue with the varnish first.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Some dude on Dakka posted:

BRB basically tells us who the Chaos Marines are...

Ok, so rumors say that the box is called Dark Vengeance, last I checked. Chech out the top right of pg. 176 in the big Book.

"Dark Vengeance: The Dark Angels 5th Company battles elements of the Crimson Slaughter for control of the Hellfire Stone. The Nephilim sector trembles as the hated foes clash..."

quote:

The Nephilim sector

:negative:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Heavy handed references? In Warhammer 40,000??!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I know I'm way late to this conversation, but it's really more about who you are than what you play. I mean, there are a handful of people who will get all up in arms about losing no matter what you do, and bitch about how your list is stupid and cheesy and you're a dick for playing it, while his army is the One True Warhammer, etc, but you'll identify them quickly enough, and avoid them.

Most people will be much more focused on that you're fun to play with. For example, during that game I wrote the AAR for, I got completely rolled by the Tyranids, and what could arguably be called 'flyer-cheesing', but the player was really helpful, didn't mind my questions, and we both had a blast, even though at no point was I anywhere near winning.

What I'm saying is, don't worry about whether the internet thinks your army is dumb. Just focus on having a good time and not being the sort of person who talks like he's on 4chan in real life.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

True, and I have a tendancy to choose stuff I like, which is often the suboptimal choices. I'm a little tired of losing horribly in most games because they chose only the super good stuff and I did not.

Dammit I have 20 points left and this is the list i just wrote up\

list

I think a lot of your problem is you're buying too many expensive units and you aren't taking some relatively cheap things that'd really help your list.

I like Zahndrekh a lot and Obyron seems decent too although I've never used him, but it's 345 points for both of them. You have no warscythes in with your warrior blobs so they can be easily tarpitted by a walker, unless you put Obyron in with one but then he's not in with an assault unit where he'd probably be better off. Zahndrekh will presumably be using his res orb with the warriors but if they get assaulted then Obyron will be teleported into the combat, which might prevent them from being tarpitted but it might be a big problem if he abandons the unit you wanted him with originally.

You've only got one res orb and they really help boost the survivability of any unit they're with, I wouldn't bring a 20 warrior blob without one.

5 immortals isn't really all that survivable, especially without a leader or a res orb, I'd either boost them up to 10 and maybe give them a res orb or drop them altogether.

Same with the 3 wraiths, either make it a unit of 5-6 or none at all, and drop the trans beamer, it doesn't help with wound allocation anymore and you can't fire and move it. They might be funny if you bring six of them with a Phaeron for a comedy MC killer crew but otherwise they're a waste.

Lychguard and Praetorians are both very expensive units that aren't super good, pick one and drop the other, and either give them someone to help them out or boost their unit size, maybe both.

What's your plan for the Destroyers? They seem sort of thrown in there and don't really synergize with the rest. You could change them to 3 Heavy Destroyers and deepstrike them behind enemy vehicles maybe?

Your lone, expensive, fragile flyer is going to get shot down real quick, you could deepstrike some other units in to draw some backline fire off it but that won't stop dedicated AA. I'd either bring more flyers or drop it. If you really want to bring it and can only field one then figure out some sort of strategy to get all up in your enemy's face quick so they have more to worry about in the area than the one flyer.

Basically you want to pick a strategy and focus on it, and above all you want to look at the units you're taking and do your best to play to their strengths as much as possible. Royal courts are great for giving units a boost and playing toward a specific strength for each of them.

Enentol posted:

Superglue can fog even regular plastic so you might watch out for that, not sure what the varnish would do. It's not like you're able to see through the rods anyway so it probably won't cause any problems but there's no purpose to varnishing them so you might as well just put them in afterward.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 16, 2012

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Is it bad my first thought was "A whole sector that's really well run, but nevertheless resented because the lords are always hyper-patronising?" :v:

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

7thBatallion posted:

Boxing? Awesome, I may have to stop by.

You should come. It's a good space and a fun workout and an AWESOME coach.

Also, hammiest boxing gym ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ghetto wormhole posted:

I think a lot of your problem is you're buying too many expensive units and you aren't taking some relatively cheap things that'd really help your list.

I like Zahndrekh a lot and Obyron seems decent too although I've never used him, but it's 345 points for both of them. You have no warscythes in with your warrior blobs so they can be easily tarpitted by a walker, unless you put Obyron in with one but then he's not in with an assault unit where he'd probably be better off. Zahndrekh will presumably be using his res orb with the warriors but if they get assaulted then Obyron will be teleported into the combat, which might prevent them from being tarpitted but it might be a big problem if he abandons the unit you wanted him with originally.

You've only got one res orb and they really help boost the survivability of any unit they're with, I wouldn't bring a 20 warrior blob without one.

5 immortals isn't really all that survivable, especially without a leader or a res orb, I'd either boost them up to 10 and maybe give them a res orb or drop them altogether.

Same with the 3 wraiths, either make it a unit of 5-6 or none at all, and drop the trans beamer, it doesn't help with wound allocation anymore and you can't fire and move it. They might be funny if you bring six of them with a Phaeron for a comedy MC killer crew but otherwise they're a waste.

Lychguard and Praetorians are both very expensive units that aren't super good, pick one and drop the other, and either give them someone to help them out or boost their unit size, maybe both.

What's your plan for the Destroyers? They seem sort of thrown in there and don't really synergize with the rest. You could change them to 3 Heavy Destroyers and deepstrike them behind enemy vehicles maybe?

Your lone, expensive, fragile flyer is going to get shot down real quick, you could deepstrike some other units in to draw some backline fire off it but that won't stop dedicated AA. I'd either bring more flyers or drop it. If you really want to bring it and can only field one then figure out some sort of strategy to get all up in your enemy's face quick so they have more to worry about in the area than the one flyer.

Basically you want to pick a strategy and focus on it, and above all you want to look at the units you're taking and do your best to play to their strengths as much as possible. Royal courts are great for giving units a boost and playing toward a specific strength for each of them.

I'm limited by what I own. I've only gotten necrons with the release of this book, and I only just got the Doom Scythe.

I plan on getting more wraiths and more Praetorians in the future, and obviously more Immortals. The only things I don't have in my list are my Doomsday Ark and Death Marks. Oh and Imohtek. But Yea, it needs a lot of fine tuning, but I need some more money to beef up the small units.

The suggestions you made I put in my "buy this" list, it's helpful to have advice to help focus what I buy, because i tend to buy what i like, not whats really effective.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

I'm limited by what I own. I've only gotten necrons with the release of this book, and I only just got the Doom Scythe.

I plan on getting more wraiths and more Praetorians in the future, and obviously more Immortals. The only things I don't have in my list are my Doomsday Ark and Death Marks. Oh and Imohtek. But Yea, it needs a lot of fine tuning, but I need some more money to beef up the small units.

The suggestions you made I put in my "buy this" list, it's helpful to have advice to help focus what I buy, because i tend to buy what i like, not whats really effective.

Honestly the best thing you can do is to add crypteks/lords to your units and I don't think most people would care if you just designated a random warrior or whatever for the job as long as you make it clear who's who. Doesn't cost you any money and can improve your effectiveness quite a bit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Put staff arms on Warriors to make Crypteks. It might be a bit of work to fit, but it's the most appropriate way to do it. If you're feeling gutsy, use the Praetorian back torso instead of the Warrior ones.

edit: or if you want to get really cheap/creative

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 16, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The vast vast vast majority of gamers, of any type, on the internet are maladjusted and/or remedial cunts. Ignore them and paint what you want.

In my Battletech days we had PKCOD.

You would take a King Crab, paint it pink with hearts, give it the shittiest weapons you can, with max armor and plop it down. sure you may have a mean as hell Battlemaster bearing down on the enemy, but they just want to kill that Kong Crab because it ruins their immersion.

Smegmalicious posted:

You should come. It's a good space and a fun workout and an AWESOME coach.

Also, hammiest boxing gym ever.

Would he be cool with me just checking the place out, throwing a few punches trying not to break my brittle hands, and just having fun?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

You should buy what you like. Do you want to collect an army of your own, paint miniatures you like the looks of and play games with the units that appeal to you? Or would you rather spend the signficiant time and money needed for this hobby solely to do better at tournaments?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Put staff arms on Warriors to make Crypteks. It might be a bit of work to fit, but it's the most appropriate way to do it. If you're feeling gutsy, use the Praetorian back torso instead of the Warrior ones.

I think putting staff arms on deathmarks is even better because then you have the signature cyclops heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AgentF posted:

You should buy what you like. Do you want to collect an army of your own, paint miniatures you like the looks of and play games with the units that appeal to you? Or would you rather spend the signficiant time and money needed for this hobby solely to do better at tournaments?

I've been collecting what I like for 20 years, I'd like to win a few games. But honestly, you can have units you jut like in an army, just as long as you are making an efficient list.

Like back in 3rd where everyone was doing 5 man lascannon/plasma gun marine squads, i never once did that, always 10 man missile launcher and flamer. Did pretty well honestly.

PeterWeller posted:

I think putting staff arms on deathmarks is even better because then you have the signature cyclops heads.

Oh nice, as i have a couple extra warriors that aren't part of my 2 squads, and I have extra parts from all the kits.

• Locked thread