Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every time there's a new GTA on the horizon, there's always some intern or 'fired employee' trying to cash in on it and say they have leaked info. Rockstar is going to know who has seen what when they let people go. They aren't going to give some one year intern all kinds of insider info about a game that won't be out for years after the person is gone. And no right minded person is going to risk ever getting a job in the industry by loving over Rockstar of all companies. This is most likely some guy who thought it would be awesome to get a degree in video games, realized he can't get a job anywhere and decided to try to get his name out there by "leaking" information about GTAV.

It's not that hard to say "Yeah, it's going to have all these features that people are suspecting anyway, and it's definitely the setting that they already confirmed in the trailer. Of course, I saw all this stuff years ago, so it could all be changed by now. But I totally am leaking real info."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not to mention that any NDA he's signed will be still fully enforced after he's left the company. If NDAs were invalidated as soon as you left the commpany they'd be kinda pointless :v:

And that horse video owns.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
As the thread's OP, can I have only one rule in this thread? Can we have less SR vs GTA debates every other page? For the sake of readability?

I wish I had a psychic horse. :allears:

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

No, it's Niko and Roman in a horse suit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angry Boat posted:

No, it's Niko and Roman in a horse suit.

Niko demanded that he get to be the rear end, Roman didn't see any point in changing the habit of a lifetime :haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

This is most likely some guy who thought it would be awesome to get a degree in video games, realized he can't get a job anywhere and decided to try to get his name out there by "leaking" information about GTAV.
That seems pretty shortsighted considering it gets your name out as "the guy who will leak your info." What company would look at that and say "you know who we need, this guy right there"?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I think it's more likely that this "leak" is probably just some bored kid out for attention and forum cred.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 15, 2012

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Oh my god

I'm seeing dead kings

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
GTAIII RAGE classic demo out.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=512296&st=729

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Of course will be more than likely all a big lie... But here is some "leaked" info that is at least interesting to read.

http://www.dualshocknexus.com/2012/04/massive-rumor-ex-rockstar-intern-leaks.html#!/2012/04/massive-rumor-ex-rockstar-intern-leaks.html

I don't know... this seems pretty legit to me. Something about the way it's written, it is a lot better penmanship than I'm used to when it comes to these "leaks".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does look somewhat plausible, I like to play a game with these called "how far before I can't hold back the laughter" and with this one I got as far as "all cars from GTA IV in their renditions from all past GTA eras."

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
The fact he is so specific about some details means he does have info or he will it'll blown up in his face.

The main guys name is Adrian for example.... That hasn't been mentioned anywhere has it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stuff like "the protagonist's name is Adrian" is exactly the sort of thing where if it isn't you can say "ah, they changed it after I left the company, it was still in development after all."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm weary of it only because you're telling me Rockstar would just e-mail them an acceptance and not call? And if all their interns didn't have NDAs they would be leaking information all the time. Just doesn't add up to me.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 16, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't matter if he's right. He got his attention and then once more info about the game comes out, no one will care about his information anymore. It's just something to get attention.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Red Dead Redemption is not related to Red Dead Revolver anyway!! :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes it is. Red Dead Revolver was made by Rockstar San Diego. Red Dead Redemption was made by Rockstar San Diego.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cool this is the part of the thread where we argue "sequel" vs. "spiritual successor."

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

GUI posted:

Well, you found them boring. What am I even supposed to tell you? Subjectivity is A Thing, I guess.

As for LA Noire, it's pretty much what I'm saying about Rockstar: These days they make games where style and story take precedence over gameplay, probably stemming from the belief that video games can't be adult unless they imitate films or any other respected medium.

I played Max Payne 1 and 2 obsessively between 2002 and 2004 and replay them every year. Both those games told their storyline through the gameplay, there were plenty of objects you could interact with to hear Max's thoughts. The transition between story and combat during the levels in the first two was seamless. The cutscenes during levels themselves were far between, pretty brief and even skippable in the case of 2.
In 3 even the most mundane poo poo is relegated to 2 minute cutscenes you can't skip between each room. This video sums up Max Payne 3 pretty well.

This post is a bit old and this is a bit of a nitpick, but how was the story told via gameplay in Max Payne 1 or 2? I feel like the seamless transition idea didn't really exist until it was so overdone with Max Payne 3 that it made us reflect on the storytelling mechanics of Max Payne 1 and 2. Both those games' stories are effectively told through graphic novels. It was extensive enough that they included a pause and page-turning feature in the "cutscenes" which I loved. It was a genius idea that I think was founded more on the technical limitations of the time (Max Payne came out in 2001, after all) than wanting Max Payne to feel like a comic book. We occasionally uncover story elements or interact with characters (in ways other than killing them), but I would say the vast majority of dialog in those games takes place in the graphic novel cutscenes.

With Max Payne 3 Rockstar didn't really see the same tech limitations and went for full-bore cinematic experience. There's still a bit of the good old graphic novel-y storytelling in there but they just got way overzealous with hiding loading sequences behind cutscenes. It isn't bad at all on the first playthrough, but mostly destroys any replay value. I realize that Rockstar was only the franchise's publisher until 3, but there's still a hint of the old Max Payne universe in there. Namely on the yacht level you can play the game's theme on the grand piano which is sort of a trademark for the game. I did enjoy the meta-story stuff in the older games more, what with Dangerous Liasons and Lords and Ladies and all this stuff that existed on the periphery to reinforce the main story. Oddly enough I felt way more immersed watching those silly little TV clips before a major gunbattle than all the melodramatic "ugh I'm such a miserable pill-popping alcoholic" stuff in Max Payne 3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yes it is. Red Dead Revolver was made by Rockstar San Diego. Red Dead Redemption was made by Rockstar San Diego.

No, Red Dead Revolver was made by Capcom, bought by Rockstar, and underwent a final polish at Rockstar San Diego.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

No, Red Dead Revolver was made by Capcom, bought by Rockstar, and underwent a final polish at Rockstar San Diego.

Yeah and other than both being westerns Revolver and Redemption probably have have as much to do with each as Doom and Centipede.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
In TBoGT, does Bulgarin loving shoot his sister for being annoying? The first time he shoots in her direction through the ceiling she keeps on complaining, but the next time he does it she's wailing hysterically. Just curious what happened there.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am an "abid" gamer as well

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

New screenshots have been posted on Rockstar's newswire site!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/37991/transport.html

More to come this week!

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 20, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Holy poo poo!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The return of bikes is a good thing.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
The Cheetah is back and looking as sweet as ever. That one of my favorite cars in the San Andreas.

Not to mention the jet and the bicycle :toot:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Looks like the middle aged guy from the trailer is the one flying the jet. Guess that really does mean he's our protagonist.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BrandonGK posted:

New screenshots have been posted on Rockstar's newswire site!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/37991/transport.html

More to come this week!

Three screenshots and I'm loving hyped.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Wearing a suit. No helmet or anything. Just no fucks at all

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
God you better be able to do a ten foot vertical bunnyhop again. And you better be able to do it as you drive into oncoming traffic and fly fifty feet in the air.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is the october mark on the numberplate likely to mean anything? Would be awesome if it comes out in 2 months :D

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS ROCKSTAR. That poo poo looks goooood as hell. Hopefully the next lot of screenies should show some more of the map. I want farms n poo poo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Where is there an october mark on the numberplate?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

The Dave posted:

On the top left corner, though I'm sceptical that it means anything.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

The Dave posted:

Look close at the top left of the plate, you can make out 'OCT'.

efb

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drat my eyes are shot, nice pick up.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Also, look down the bottom where the screens are:

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/

Three blank spots so expect 3 more fairly soon I reckon.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I don't know if this keeping us in the dark is good, I still think San Andreas has the best hype [and delivery!], I really hope they blow our socks off with 5, but I am forever sceptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
This game is going to own.

• Locked thread