Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Did some stuff to the Evo.

Cleaned it (although the poor photo doesn't really show it).

Cleaned the second-hand bilsteins that I bought but haven't installed yet.

Installed my new Defi boost gauge.

Lit up.

I've also started ordering new parts. Ordered 1050cc injectors today. Fuel pump and cams to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Swapped the lovely tires that came with these wheels for my Blizzaks

And FINALLY got these powdercoated and brand flipping new summer tires put on. Holy poo poo, it feels like a different car. It makes me smile every time I get in.

They look like bigger versions of the stock snowflakes, which is awesome. Just suspension and brakes left to be upgraded, then I really get to focus on finding a donor STI for a swap. Also, a job. Need to find a (real) job.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Plenty. <:smug:>

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Viggen posted:

Plenty. <:smug:>

Do those three items come bundled together? That would save time for me. Also, zipties.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

The Jabberwocky posted:

Do those three items come bundled together? That would save time for me. Also, zipties.

drat - I knew I was leaving something out! I was tempted to put a $4 HF socket set in the mix, but figured that would be overkill.

I actually just used a little silicone lube; the idler pulley (not on the 900, before you ask) was squeaky due to the over-100f-in-the-shade heat. That doesn't mean that I have to listen to it!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the final stage unit in my E39. Part was $40 and took about ten minutes to do, and only that long because it took me a few minutes to realize it was just pressed onto some plastic dowels and not actually screwed into anything.

One screw held on the center console trim, and it slid back; The panel under the glovebox just pulled back and off. The FSU pulls out. So literally a single screw to do this job. A lot easier than on my E36 (which wasn't terribly hard either).

Now my blower works again and thus I have functional A/C!

Picture of access requirement:

There is the culprit!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The high temp hose I ordered for the EGR came in. Swapped it for the scrap piece of fuel line I was using. It held up surprisingly well, but definitely wouldn't have held up to the heat long term.

Then looked at the heater hoses while I was under there.

Hose from the thermostat to the heater inlet has been rubbing on the clutch hard line for who knows how long. Long enough that the sleeve over it is completely chewed through and the hose itself has a nasty groove in it. It's zip tied out of the way for now, but it's one hot day away from popping. Just glad I caught that before it let go.

AutoZone doesn't even carry this hose, Rockauto has it for $10... dealer can order it for $11 + tax. AutoZone does have the outlet hose for $15, dealer and Rockauto both have it for $5. :laffo: Once you factor in shipping, the dealer is the cheapest option. And keeps turning out to be cheaper on a lot of stuff.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
My 356 running for the first time in 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2O8XZAMwQs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should make a project thread about all the stuff you've done to it to get it back into the land of the living.

That is, after you've had a chance to drive it. :)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You should make a project thread about all the stuff you've done to it to get it back into the land of the living.

That is, after you've had a chance to drive it. :)

Problem is its just a bunch of boring bodywork and cleaning. The engine had a 10k rebuild by the previous owner but never put back into the body. He also had tried to get the bodywork done at a cheap shop so it was 6 months of going over it with a magnet and unfucking it.

And it has no interior at the moment.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Once you factor in shipping, the dealer is the cheapest option. And keeps turning out to be cheaper on a lot of stuff.

The dealer's routinely my first stop anymore. Between vehicle lines having grown to ridiculous sizes and shared parts bins being largely a thing of decades past, I guess it's not surprising the aftermarket can't keep up or price competitively.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Bought a new-to-me 2007 TSX a week ago. Today, I changed the engine air filter; itdidn't look too bad, was probably changed in the last 12-18 months (so it was dirty, but not ridiculous).

Also changed the cabin air filter, and it looks like it hasn't been changed at all over the life of the car (5 years, 40,000 miles). Holy christ it was ugly looking.

Last weekend, I gave it a good initial detailing: washed, claybar, washed, Zaino, leather conditioning, and surface detailing inside.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Took out my blown radiator. BMW fan clutches can go gently caress themselves, I ruined a perfectly good screwdriver.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
The gauge cluster in my Prelude has been slowly making GBS threads itself for a while now. At first, the speedo started flaking out intermittently, but I lived with it. A few weeks ago, the temp gauge / tach both decided not to work when it's hot out. Of course this poo poo happens after I decide to sell it. So, time for a cluster swap!

Step one - find salvage yard selling a cluster cheapish. Best I could find was $25 plus $25 for shipping. ehh, not too bad I guess. So I placed an order, and it showed up yesterday. I did the swap today after work.

No pics of disassembly, but here's the old and new side by side. Odometers haven't been tampered with at all - I was going to make them match, either by switching out the roller units or just winding the new one until it matched the old. As it turns out, the new cluster was only showing 115 miles more than the one that was coming out. Nice, because most clusters on car-part are showing upwards of 200k.

I am going to kind of miss my :rice: white gauges, although I didn't like the light setup that much. I installed white overlays over the existing gauges a while back because the black finish on the fuel / temp gauge was flaking off and looked awful. Got the overlays on, then the white needles looked like poo poo against the white gauges, so I painted them red. Then, the stock light green backlighting looked terrible and had no contrast with the white gauges, so I put wide angle blue LEDs in instead. Which in turn caused the top lighting (the bulbs that light up the needles) to look like horse poo poo, so I took out the blue filter and put UV LEDs in there instead to make the needles glow. Things just looked kind of weird overall after that. In retrospect, I should have just replaced the cluster and been done with it back then, although I did like the look in the daytime.

Bare dash

It's alive! :jeb: Had to go through and make sure all the bulbs were working. Everything was good except the seat belt bulb, which got swapped with the one from my old unit.

All back together

That missing emblem in the wheel center is pissing me off. No yards around here because Long Island sucks, and the part is NLA from Honda. If anyone happens to be on a JY run and sees one, I'd be your best friend if you could grab it. :shobon: It just pops out.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 11, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
80s Honda interiors were the best - I still miss my old Integra in that regard.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finished installing the radiator, and put in two new pre-cat o2 sensors. Hopefully won't get annoying check engine lights anymore.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Black88GTA posted:

That missing emblem in the wheel center is pissing me off. No yards around here because Long Island sucks, and the part is NLA from Honda. If anyone happens to be on a JY run and sees one, I'd be your best friend if you could grab it. :shobon: It just pops out.

My last 88 Accord lost it too.

Any idea which ones will fit, or is it just 88-91 Preludes? I'm going to be making a trip to Pick and Pull sometime in the next week, I'll try and snag a few.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're junkyarding on Monday I think so if you guys find out what fits I can look as well.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Any idea which ones will fit, or is it just 88-91 Preludes? I'm going to be making a trip to Pick and Pull sometime in the next week, I'll try and snag a few.

Rhyno posted:

We're junkyarding on Monday I think so if you guys find out what fits I can look as well.

Awww, you guys :glomp:

According to hondapartsnow, it looks like they used this part in the 86-89 Accord and the 88-91 Prelude.

It's super brittle though, I think the best way to get it out would be to use a sticky thing on a stick rather than trying to pry it. No big deal if you can't find anything, but I would like to get it in there before I sell the car. It just looks lovely with it missing. Thanks to anyone who finds one!

Anyways, I did stuff to the truck today. My Escalade came with the standard Bose CD / cassette deck, which I didn't like so I promptly switched it out for a touch screen navigation unit out of a newer truck. However, (as expected) it was locked - I had to disable Theftlock before I could use it, and the only way to do that is with a Tech 2 programmer.

I guess I didn't get a picture of what it looked like. It looked exactly like this but with different color button lighting:

Now, it would kind of chap my rear end to pay $50-$100 for some guy to spend 3 minutes punching buttons on a programmer, so I came up with a plan to get it done much cheaper. I came up with something that I felt was solid, and today I put my plan into action.

11:25 - Place online carryout order with Domino's for two large 2 topping pizzas.
11:40 - Drive to Domino's, retrieve pizzas
11:45 - Drive straight to nearby Chevrolet dealership
11:50 - Pull into service bay, tell SM what I need done. Offer hot, fresh, delicious smelling pizza to them in exchange and hope they accept. (note the time I came in there, this was not accidental)
12:00 - drive out -1 pizza, +1 unlocked radio

This plan was a brilliant success :buddy: although I did have a bit of a tough time convincing them to do it at first. There were two guys in there swearing up and down that I had to contact Delphi, blah blah. I think this is the case for the newer versions, but not mine. The SM I talked to finally said "Well, if we do this there's gonna be a charge" which is when I put the pizza offer on the table, and mentioned that it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes start to finish. He kind of smiled, and I knew then that I had him.

He still kept saying that it wouldn't work, but I finally talked him into trying it anyway "Well can you just try it out? I'll give you the pizza either way, even if it doesn't work" :iamafag: I knew it would work without contacting anyone, since I've been doing a good amount of research on this and haven't read anything to that effect at all. I had actually printed out the step-by-step procedure on how to do it, and it was a good thing I did because the SM had absolutely no idea how to do it. He looked like one of those :wal: "computers are scary and I don't want anything to do with that poo poo I want to go back to points ignition and carburetors" type of guys. Anyway, I kind of walked him through it, and...

Never underestimate the negotiating powers of a hot pizza right before lunchtime. :smug:

So with that out of the way, I went back home and started playing with it. I then found that my right front speaker wasn't working, so I pulled apart the door to inspect. Turned out that the connector wasn't making good contact with the speaker terminals. So I cleaned all of the terminals the best I could and bent the pins a bit so they'd make better contact with the plug. Got that back together and it's working for now, although I may have to replace the connector soon.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Replaced the fuel pump. Sold it (officially on Monday). Goodbye, C900.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Popped the bumper off the RX-8 so I could replace the cracked passenger side headlight unit (god what a pain in the rear end), cleaned the MAF sensor to fix a weird idle, cleaned the throttle body, put in a k&n air filter to replace the old-rear end generic one that was in there, cleaned a buttload of leaves out of the airbox (wtf?), and did my first premix (idemitsu).

It was a big day.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 12, 2012

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sold the Bronco. Godspeed, little truck!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Black88GTA posted:

I guess I didn't get a picture of what it looked like. It looked exactly like this but with different color button lighting:

That "THEFTLOCK ACTIVATED" looks so loving cheap. Like something from a low budget 80s science fiction.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

That "THEFTLOCK ACTIVATED" looks so loving cheap. Like something from a low budget 80s science fiction.

Well, what do you expect in a Pontiac? :v:

The mid-00's were not a good time for GM interiors (if there's ever been one, har har).

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Yeah my 87 prelude had that thing fall out too. I epoxied it back in.

EDIT: the one in the grille also fell out, which I also epoxied back in.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zundfolge posted:

Well, what do you expect in a Pontiac? :v:

The mid-00's were not a good time for GM interiors (if there's ever been one, har har).

I really didn't mind my dad's old 2000 Bonneville SSEi. Maybe it was the vast array of buttons, but it was comfortable and futuristic.

My sister-in-law owns that car now. I still think it's awesome. The same thing isn't true on my brother's Grand-Am though... maybe it's the buttons I like more than anything.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Shai-Hulud posted:

The first time i looked at the pic i thought it said "THE FT LOCK ACTIVATED" and im like what the hell is an FT LOCK?

"ill take the rapists for 500"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

First wash and wax. Also 303 Aerospace'd the interior parts and headlights.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Not a lot of space for gauges unless you want to have the expensive HSV parts shipped from Oz. So I went with plan B. Mounting an Aeroforce Interceptor CAN bus gauge where I usually keep my change. The gauge is mounted in a custom $30 bracket. I hate idiot lights, and now I can monitor basically everything. Most important to me are oil pressure and trans temp. The car is a 2009 G8.

_firehawk fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ended up junkyarding today, the biggest yard in town has a lovely Honda selection and what they did have the interiors were beyond hosed.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
Decided to ditch the makeshift intake and buy an overpriced air filter.

Before:

After:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bought and installed an AWE intake. I'm not sure if it's my mind playing tricks on me because I spent the last 24 hours driving a Q5 2.0T loaner, but my butt dyno tells me it made a noticeable difference.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I cleaned up the exterior of the newly wrapped STi.

I buffed the poo poo out of my wing to bring the carbon back. It took forever and about 1/3 the container of compound, but I think it was worth it.

I then put the front end back together and buffed the headlights, waxed the new hood, refitted the grill, and of course washed it when I was done.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the lip I have work

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Had my new Bridgestone RE-11's mounted, removed my aftermarket intake and reinstalled my stock intake for a dealer service tomorrow, gave it a much needed wash and wax, vacuumed the interior, and cleaned/re-oiled my air filters so they will be nice and fresh when I put them back tomorrow evening.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Weeee I bought a new ride! My fiance already has a god awful 2000 New beetle, and I swore I would never own a VW.

Oops.

2009 Jetta sportwagen with the 2.0 turbo, 6 speed manual and all the goodies. Only a one owner car and 80,000 miles. Im in love with it! Only complaint is the lag in first gear, nothing, nothing, and then bam its pulls like hell, you guys know of anything to help with the turbo lag?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

BrownieVK posted:

Weeee I bought a new ride! My fiance already has a god awful 2000 New beetle, and I swore I would never own a VW.

Oops.

2009 Jetta sportwagen with the 2.0 turbo, 6 speed manual and all the goodies. Only a one owner car and 80,000 miles. Im in love with it! Only complaint is the lag in first gear, nothing, nothing, and then bam its pulls like hell, you guys know of anything to help with the turbo lag?

Get an APR tune as soon as possible. Instant 40hp bump and better gas mileage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

I cleaned up the exterior of the newly wrapped STi.

poo poo, that's vinyl wrap? Looks nice. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back, and how does it hold up over any imperfections in the paint below it?

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Oh my, You're looking like poo poo these days.

Never gonna buy a car with a beige interior again. Looks nice and cheerful but not practical for a person that works among things coated in fine black grit. Also, my belt bit a hole in the bolster over the years.

Oh well. Nothing a little elbow grease cant cure.

It's definitely a nicer place to be now.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Did you get new seat covers or just clean them up really well? It looks good.
I worked for a company that did dealership leather installs on new cars and sometimes used, it only costs $1000 or so to have all the seats re-done with pre-made kits, they are pretty high quality for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I considered getting new covers but the only bad damage is that hole from my belt. I just used a few boxes worth of Mr. Clean magic erasers and some Meguiers leather conditioner wipes. Took about an afternoon to do the front seat and door cards as well as some of the dash and console plastic that had gotten a little mankey.

The only trouble I found with using the erasers was that they leave dirty streaks if you aren't very thorough. Gotta make sure you get every square inch. Also, as the erasers wear out they start to crumble and those little bits of debris have to be vacuumed up. Overall it turned out very well and cost about $20.