Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You can batch rename your songs' filenames with Rapid Evolution 3 which is a finicky piece of software but does Key detection for free too.

Is there a way to completely disable iTunes integration in Traktor on OSX btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Koesj posted:

Uh...just don't click on the iTunes icon? It only tries to load your library when you double click on it.

I suppose you could go into preferences and point it to a bogus library file/directory, but I don't see much point in that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Man, not really news or anything, but I finally got to goof around on an S4 setup for a while this weekend and it was really fun. I am impressed at the build quality and am thinking of picking up an S2 (the S4 has more toys and cost than I want and need) this summer.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Man, not really news or anything, but I finally got to goof around on an S4 setup for a while this weekend and it was really fun. I am impressed at the build quality and am thinking of picking up an S2 (the S4 has more toys and cost than I want and need) this summer.

If that sort of DJ style is what you like then save the trouble and buy an S2/S4 to begin with. If I had bought it to begin with I'd have saved myself a thousand bucks and a year of time.

I initially opted for a DNMC6000 because I thought it did the things I wanted to do, but that turned out to not be the case once I got a bit more experience. With the S4 I now have timecode support and the convenience of integration. And when I eventually get a kontrol f2 it won't be no thang.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Koesj posted:

You can batch rename your songs' filenames with Rapid Evolution 3 which is a finicky piece of software but does Key detection for free too.

Rapid Evolution ruins all the ID3 tags for serato. Do not use it if you use serato.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
There was a special on the BBC, "The Story of Richie Hawtin"

http://soundcloud.com/bbcradio1/the-story-of-richie-hawtin

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Here is a hawtin documentary from a few years back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6474KUBV8

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

"vanilla slimfast" posted:

Traktor Pro-Tip: If you moved a bunch of files and they are now not able to be located, there's a quick way for Traktor to relocate them automagically. I don't know if this works for renamed files, however. Select all the files you care about (or your whole collection, if you like), right-click and select "Check Consistency" This is helpful for not only finding missing files, but also files that haven't been analyzed. From that dialog you can then specify whether to analyze the un-analyzed files and search for the missing files (just point it at your root music folder).

You can also enable a setting to do the consistency check on startup, if that's your thing

Thank you Sooo much, I was really tired of that red bar flashing at me for 5 minutes.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I asked about this a while ago because I thought I was going to buy headphones when summer started but I waited until now so yeah. Can anybody recommend some good headphones for 60-100$? I won't be doing anything more than house parties if that means anything for headphone choice.

Nevermind just bought some Technics RP-DH1200s for 104$

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 16, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
What every DJ hopes to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XFrex-QpA

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I kept watching that going :wtc: and then the end hit and I burst out laughing

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Does anyone have experience running Traktor Pro 2 on one of the new Mac Air's that could give me a trip report? I'm looking at picking up a new laptop for teaching work and casual DJing, and if the Airs run Traktor fine I'd like to save some money, but if they don't, I'll definitely shell out for a Pro.

By Casual I mean I will be DJing at parties for friends, not at clubs or bars.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Quidnose posted:

Does anyone have experience running Traktor Pro 2 on one of the new Mac Air's that could give me a trip report? I'm looking at picking up a new laptop for teaching work and casual DJing, and if the Airs run Traktor fine I'd like to save some money, but if they don't, I'll definitely shell out for a Pro.

By Casual I mean I will be DJing at parties for friends, not at clubs or bars.

I run Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP, not an Air, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 2011 or 2012 model just fine, they are more powerful CPU-wise than my older c2d model

The main thing you'll run up against is storage space, given that it's SSD only. So you could either shell out for the bigger SSD when you buy, or just be frugal about what media you keep locally versus external on a portable HDD or flash drive

Obviously if you are playing WAV/AIFF/FLAC/ALAC files it will add up a lot quicker than MP3/AACs

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So I'm making my ~first ever setlist~

I'm still not entirely sure what I can do with Either Traktor or Virtual DJ other than firing off a track, applying random effects and playing around with buttons and then crossfading into the next track when the cue I put there rolls around.

What else can I actually do while I'm playing music?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Solus posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what I can do with Either Traktor or Virtual DJ other than firing off a track, applying random effects and playing around with buttons and then crossfading into the next track when the cue I put there rolls around.

Depends on what sort of music you're playing really.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Solus posted:

The most important thing to do is to be intelligently thinking about where you want to take the mix, i.e. to be thinking a few songs ahead, and to be watching the crowd to see how they are reacting.

There's no reason to press a bunch of random nobs, if you find yourself with a lot of extra time between songs, you should challenge yourself to mix faster.

I agree with the poster above. Anything more specific, you need to tell us the genre.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

I run Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP, not an Air, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 2011 or 2012 model just fine, they are more powerful CPU-wise than my older c2d model

The main thing you'll run up against is storage space, given that it's SSD only. So you could either shell out for the bigger SSD when you buy, or just be frugal about what media you keep locally versus external on a portable HDD or flash drive

Obviously if you are playing WAV/AIFF/FLAC/ALAC files it will add up a lot quicker than MP3/AACs

Do you use MP3s? I decided to go with 320 mp3 when I made the digital switch, but I've been hearing a lot of DJs use Flac. I think I feel more comfortable with mp3, partially because I can bring backups on a thumbdrive and stream off that without fear of stuttering buffer.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

reichsten posted:

Do you use MP3s? I decided to go with 320 mp3 when I made the digital switch, but I've been hearing a lot of DJs use Flac. I think I feel more comfortable with mp3, partially because I can bring backups on a thumbdrive and stream off that without fear of stuttering buffer.

What DJ programs support FLAC?

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

What DJ programs support FLAC?

I know Traktor does, someone else will have to confirm Serato though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

320 MP3s work fine and are universally supported

I dont think FLAC is that widespread in use. If anything it will be wavs or aiffs

E: traktor supports all of the above

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

You dont just make a playlist. The point of djing is to play the song that the crowds wants to hear the most at that moment. You have no idea if the crowd will dig your berlin minimal techno so you might have to play dubstep or maybe a sorority party rolls in and you have to play top40.

The point is, djing isnt about making a playlist and just using that, but rather closely watching the crowd and playing the best song for them.

Trust me, it works A LOT better.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

oredun posted:

You dont just make a playlist. The point of djing is to play the song that the crowds wants to hear the most at that moment. You have no idea if the crowd will dig your berlin minimal techno so you might have to play dubstep or maybe a sorority party rolls in and you have to play top40.

The point is, djing isnt about making a playlist and just using that, but rather closely watching the crowd and playing the best song for them.

Trust me, it works A LOT better.

I really should have made it clear I'm still in the learning stages. I know I'm not ready to step out of my goon-cave until I get the basics down, so I'm trying to find as my how-tos and stuff as possible while I'm still loving around at my desk.

:shobon:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Another question for the Serato Scratch users, what is your latency at? Coming from vinyl to Serato, I can definitely feel the latency. I seem to be able to pull it all the way down, but I'm uncomfortable leaving it there since I feel like I might get stutters or buffer problems. Should I leave it as low as possible, or should I push it up and just get used to the delay?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Any normal laptop should be able to handle 5ms or less, without buffering problems. Even my old 2006 macbook pro handled that just fine

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I ran my SL3 at 2ms on my old laptop. It was a 2.4ghz C2D 13" Macbook Pro.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Great, thanks. The default latency is pretty big, so I was nervous to go under 5ms. I'm at 2ms and it feels fine.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Now that I've actually found my local DJ shops (Of which there are three)

The best two controllers in my price range are the Vestax Typhoon or the Mixtrack Pro. Both have soundcards so I won't need to buy one of those (Yet) and I like the feel of both of them.

Which is more future proof?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

Now that I've actually found my local DJ shops (Of which there are three)

The best two controllers in my price range are the Vestax Typhoon or the Mixtrack Pro. Both have soundcards so I won't need to buy one of those (Yet) and I like the feel of both of them.

Which is more future proof?

Neither, they will both be outdated and worthless(money wise) in a year or two.

That said, id choose the typhoon because its all metal.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'd go with the Mixtrack Pro. I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend the Typhoon. It's always the Mixtrack Pro.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

keevo posted:

I'd go with the Mixtrack Pro. I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend the Typhoon. It's always the Mixtrack Pro.

Good, because I brought that today :rms:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oredun posted:

Neither, they will both be outdated and worthless(money wise) in a year or two.

That said, id choose the typhoon because its all metal.
Every DJ controller [except maybe the VCI-400] will be outdated and worthless in 2 years.

I had a Vestax Spin which was the same hardware as the Typhoon and it was a far cry from all metal but it was decent quality. The main thing I didn't like about it was that there was no way to not use the mouse and keyboard, buttons instead of a knob for track browsing meant it was always faster to go back to the computer.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Could someone give me a rundown on how not to blow out speakers? (I'm terrified I will.)

I have a kontrol s2 and I keep the levels at a point where the red bar on them never hits (or if it does I lower things). But I don't get how the whole thing really works.

I have my computer speakers on max, then I put the master gain knob on the s2 to a point where I want it (I change it while I'm mixing if I want it louder though), then I just mix and keep it under the red. If I clip red then turn down some eqs or a fader then turn up the master gain to compensate for the volume drop does that harm the speakers?

I don't really even know what the right questions to ask about this are, I just want to know how to not gently caress up mine or my friends speakers if I'm ever mixing.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Blowdryer posted:

Could someone give me a rundown on how not to blow out speakers? (I'm terrified I will.)

Give them enough power. 99% of the time a speaker blows because its getting a distorted signal. A good speaker will not blow because of too much power. I have plugged a good speaker into a wall outlet and it didnt blow, just hit its xmax till the voice coil got red hot.

(I used to work at an audio shop, dont try this at home)

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Old Man Pants posted:

Give them enough power. 99% of the time a speaker blows because its getting a distorted signal. A good speaker will not blow because of too much power. I have plugged a good speaker into a wall outlet and it didnt blow, just hit its xmax till the voice coil got red hot.

(I used to work at an audio shop, dont try this at home)

So does this mean as long as I'm not hitting reds on the level bars on the S2 I'm good to go?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Blowdryer posted:

Dont run them beyond the loudspeaker RMS power rating. If you are not using a quality loudspeaker, I'd go further and say dont run it beyond the RMS power rating at a single frequency

It's good that you aren't running in the red. Congrats, you are smarter than 90% of all DJs :)

How are your speakers powered? Do you have an amp connected to some passive speakers, or powered speakers?

Blowdryer posted:

So does this mean as long as I'm not hitting reds on the level bars on the S2 I'm good to go?

If your amplifier is set up correctly, yes

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 30, 2012

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So it looks like the next wave of Entry level controllers are being released.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/denon-launches-mc2000-dj-controller/

This thing looks solid and While it looks functionally identical to a mixtrack pro I'm kind of annoyed I didn't wait a while longer before buying my first controller.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
A friend of mine's store in NYC is having a trunk show in a couple weeks and she asked if I'd be interested in playing a 3 hour set (or shorter, but the show's that long). Figure cocktails, people trying on expensive clothing, mingling, that sort of thing. I know I'll definitely be more of a background thing and doubt folks will be dancing, but I figure it's a good opportunity to get into a genre I don't know much about -

I mostly play older hip hop and a little bit of dubstep, but have really dug the few Kaskade and Avicii tunes I've discovered in the few minutes of looking for what I think would work.

Any other artists that might cater to this crowd? According to my friend the majority of her customers are between 25-40, wealthy, and live either in tribeca/soho or the upper east side. In my mind it's whatever flies on the fashion runways so big tunes, vocals, lots of synths?

n00b
Jul 13, 2006
If it's a mingling-schmoozing type of venue I'd steer clear of the big tunes and concentrate on trip-hop and slower electronica. Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, with the odd 80's pop tune to change things up.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

n00b posted:

If it's a mingling-schmoozing type of venue I'd steer clear of the big tunes and concentrate on trip-hop and slower electronica. Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, with the odd 80's pop tune to change things up.

Second this, but in addition ask people what else they want to hear. Dont concentrate on a genre, concentrate on the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

n00b posted:

If you're basically an upscale CD player replacement, I'd be looking at chill lounge house given the audience described. If you're part of the draw for the night, going with more active engaging music would be appropriate, but you're still not supposed to be the central focus and pop/top-40 mixed in may be the call.