Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

nate fisher posted:

Only thing is it will put it back on your phone when you sync your iTunes library (if the song is in there).

I do wish the music app had a recently added list. I put so much new music on my iPhone weekly I forget it a lot of times.

Just curious how do you rate a song of your phone? I am dumb.

double tap the now playing screen, it'll switch to track list view. At the top are the five dots, it rates the currently playing track.

Also if you're syncing through iTunes you could just setup a smart playlist. It's been so long since I started using Match I haven't thought about it in a while, though, I just check the recently added desktop playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

El Duke Silver posted:

double tap the now playing screen, it'll switch to track list view. At the top are the five dots, it rates the currently playing track.

Also if you're syncing through iTunes you could just setup a smart playlist. It's been so long since I started using Match I haven't thought about it in a while, though, I just check the recently added desktop playlist.

Thanks. I feel like an idiot now. I will check out smart playlist.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are there any free apps that'll let me use my phone's 3G has a hotspot? I'm stuck without internet and I need the internet on my laptop to finish and submit a project I'm working on for a class.

I feel like the universe has suddenly aligned itself against me. :(

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there any free apps that'll let me use my phone's 3G has a hotspot? I'm stuck without internet and I need the internet on my laptop to finish and submit a project I'm working on for a class.

I feel like the universe has suddenly aligned itself against me. :(

PDAnet has a free 14 day trial. Make sure to enable hide usage so you don't get a mean letter from ATT saying they are going to charge you for tethering.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does that actually work? I'm too scared to risk losing unlimited data :(

Shame I paid for mywi too.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Christoff posted:

Does that actually work? I'm too scared to risk losing unlimited data :(

Shame I paid for mywi too.

I've been using it off and on and I haven't got a letter yet. I'm not willing to say definitively though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started using mywi again to tether to my iPad and only that. I used it to browse mostly, native a radon video link and I got an email/txt warning last week. It's the 2nd "1st warning" I've gotten (got one sometime last year) so I think I'm done for now.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I use TetherMe with my iPad only and never get warnings so, if you ever wanna try again try that.

I'm just gonna switch to a data share plan when they come out and use the included tethering.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've been using MyWi off and on since mid-2010 (sometimes using over 1GB in a single day), and I've never received a peep from AT&T. I'm still on my 2009 "Unlimited" data plan.

Just tethering doesn't get you in trouble. They either catch you because of patterns in usage, extended usage over a period of days, etc.

And honestly, if I do get caught, so what?

$30 for 3GB of "Not Unlimited"
or
$30 for 3GB of "Unlimited"

Either way, you're paying $30 for 3GB.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you want to tether it's $50 regardless of how little bandwidth you want

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Xenomorph posted:

I've been using MyWi off and on since mid-2010 (sometimes using over 1GB in a single day), and I've never received a peep from AT&T. I'm still on my 2009 "Unlimited" data plan.

Just tethering doesn't get you in trouble. They either catch you because of patterns in usage, extended usage over a period of days, etc.

And honestly, if I do get caught, so what?

$30 for 3GB of "Not Unlimited"
or
$30 for 3GB of "Unlimited"

Either way, you're paying $30 for 3GB.

I'm pretty sure It's more sophisticated than just monitoring data usage. You can find lots of examples all over the internet of people getting busted for using under a GB. From what I understand in 2010 both PDAnet and Mywi used two different APNs. one for data on the phone and one for tethering data. It wasn't until this past year or so that PDAnet started sending tething data over the same APN the phone istelf uses. Also browser agent switching and some TTL hackery. It could be you have just been getting lucky.

Edit: I know MyWi added some hiding features I imagine it's pretty close to what PDAnet uses.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, Lifehacker had me excited for a minute, then I realized that they apparently were just making poo poo up.

I just read this on their site:

quote:

AT&T has already very quietly changed their plans to include tethering in the base price for new customers.

Any other sources for this? Nope.

AT&T has not changed any existing plans and they are not offering some special plan to new customers only. AT&T does have new plans coming soon (that are for everyone, not just new customers), but the Lifehacker article doesn't seem to be talking about that at all. It's like Lifehacker was just making random poo poo up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For Google Voice users,

As I just found out via this handy site you can enable regular SMS messaging on an iPad with a simple .plist edit and from there you can install the SMS GV Extension and have free texting through the Messages app on an iPad/iPod. It obviously can't sync whatever you send to another device but being able to carry all my texting through my iPad is going to be real nice when I have my phone charging elsewhere in the apartment.

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

unironic pokémon obsession
While on the subject of Google Voice (sup fellow pokemon avatar buddy), I would like to know if there's a way to ensure that SMS tones that you've downloaded through Cydia and enabled through Winterboard actually play when people text you in Google Voice, and that you don't just hear Tri-tone every time.

I do know that the given text sounds are "replaced" the stock name options like Chime and Glass within Settings > Sounds > Text Tone, and that you typically have select one of these in order to hear your new text sound when you receive a text. But short of changing each individual contact's sound (within GV, which I haven't tried since last my latest JB last month), is there something easy/obvious thing I'm missing about why the SMS Tones I download don't play when people text me?

By easy/obivous, I do also kind of mean "free", since as awesome as those GV Extensions you posted seem to be, I don't think it's unreasonable/chea of me to want to change something as simple as text sounds (this is the main reason I started JBing in the first place last summer). Also please feel free to point me to the right resource for this, as I have searched quite a bit for this both itt and through google but come up short. Thanks.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I've been using UnlimTones. It's a cydia app that has a pretty expansive library and doesn't replace stock sounds, they go in as individual items. It's a complementary app to Audiko.net which I used for years to make ringtones and now I barely need the site anymore.

Edit: in hindsight I answered a question that is not quite what you asked.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 12, 2012

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So yesterday I uninstalled SiriPort which threw my 4 into an endless boot forcing me to restore.

Luckily I had just plugged it in to charge so I had a 5 minute old iCloud backup, but I still thought that since jailbroken that the restore would be a pain in the rear end.

I restored the firmware and restored from my iCloud backup, but before I could finish downloading all my apps, or jailbreaking, I had to leave for the Giants game. But while at the game, all of my apps just started to download courtesy of AT&T Park's wifi. This was awesome but my icons were all over the place (I use FolderEnhancer), but once I got home I jailbroke and installed FolderEnhancer and bam, all my icons were back where they belong.

What I am getting at is cloud restores are so easy and convenient, even if jailbroken.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

dutchbstrd posted:

So yesterday I uninstalled SiriPort which threw my 4 into an endless boot forcing me to restore.

Luckily I had just plugged it in to charge so I had a 5 minute old iCloud backup, but I still thought that since jailbroken that the restore would be a pain in the rear end.

I restored the firmware and restored from my iCloud backup, but before I could finish downloading all my apps, or jailbreaking, I had to leave for the Giants game. But while at the game, all of my apps just started to download courtesy of AT&T Park's wifi. This was awesome but my icons were all over the place (I use FolderEnhancer), but once I got home I jailbroke and installed FolderEnhancer and bam, all my icons were back where they belong.

What I am getting at is cloud restores are so easy and convenient, even if jailbroken.

Haha, eat my shorts Rockies fans!

On topic - I asked this earlier but I figured I'd ask again. Does anyone know if there's any way to customize byteSMS further than the settings listed in the app ie other cydia packages? Specifically, I really want to shrink the quick-reply text-entry field to a single line tall, instead of the 2 or 3-line tall height it is now.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Are there any downsides to using a Gevey unlock SIM? (And is http://www.gevey.com/ the official site?)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are the gv extensions worth the money? I'm pretty happy with the official google voice app but it would be nice to have the integration.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

JayKay posted:

Are the gv extensions worth the money? I'm pretty happy with the official google voice app but it would be nice to have the integration.

Absolutely. I would hate to have to use the official GV app by itself. You do still need the GV app to get notifications, but you won't touch it at all once you install the GV extensions.

The integration is seamless. Also the dev was actually responsive when I had an issue with the SMS extension. Watch out for punctuation characters in your contact names, it used to cause issues. Text messages would show up on your phone from 000000 instead of the correct phone number. This was a couple of years ago though, so it may be fixed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JayKay posted:

I happily payed for them twice when I had to switch devices because I didn't want to bother waiting for the dude to transfer the license (which he'll gladly do) and because I wanted to throw a little more his way. The integration is 100% seamless and I love the hell out of them. The only thing I'd like is for the SMS extension to have a similar rules app as the Phone extension does. (I do some regular calling/texting to PR area code numbers which GV stills considers as foreign even thought they're AT&T numbers but whatever).

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Anyone have a good recomendation for getting a shuffle button on the lockscreen/quick launch/shader?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Anyone have a good recomendation for getting a shuffle button on the lockscreen/quick launch/shader?

Do you need a button or would a gesture work, I think Activator can trigger a shuffle.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Blimpkin posted:

Do you need a button or would a gesture work, I think Activator can trigger a shuffle.

I don't see an option for it in activator settings. I'll report back if there's a download from cydia to add it.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

MickRaider posted:

I don't see an option for it in activator settings. I'll report back if there's a download from cydia to add it.

Yeah I see that you can only have it do basic controls. I was thinking that since iPod Nanos can be shaken to shuffle, the same functionality existed with Activator. Not the case.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Any way to convince Hulu that I am watching their poo poo from a desktop?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Any way to convince Hulu that I am watching their poo poo from a desktop?

There used to be a 'Browser Changer' in Cydia.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Has anything new and shiny come out? I've been jail broken for forever and it seems like I haven't had anything new or interesting to install in months. I think the last thing I installed was barrel. I have a siri proxy setup too but I feel like nothing cool has come out for a while. I mean intelliscreen and all that lock screen stuff was all the rage a year ago but I haven't seen anything recently quite so dramatic.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm more excited for the little nuanced tweaks here and there. A few I recommend are:

AppStore Update Size
AutoProtect
FakeClockUp (a must have)
NCTabClock
NoStoreButton
Safari Download Manager
iFile
ShowCase
SmallBanners
WiCarrier

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

adm posted:

I'm more excited for the little nuanced tweaks here and there. A few I recommend are:

AppStore Update Size
AutoProtect
FakeClockUp (a must have)
NCTabClock
NoStoreButton
Safari Download Manager
iFile
ShowCase
SmallBanners
WiCarrier

What do the bolded ones do?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

What do the bolded ones do?

NoStoreButton removes the Store button on the top left of Music.app. I often accidentally pressed it.

ShowCase displays lowercase letters on the keyboard when the Caps Lock is off.

SmallBanners restricts the banner notification to one line of text instead of the default two which can often be intrusive. Forces it to only cover up the status bar momentarily when a notification comes in.

WiCarrier displays your current wifi SSID where the carrier would normally be displayed.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
I've been using AnyLock to place launchable (two taps) often used apps on my lockscreen along with my weather widget and an invisible slide anywhere bar. Really useful tweak. When charging my battery goes in the gap.

Fozaldo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 15, 2012

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

adm posted:

WiCarrier displays your current wifi SSID where the carrier would normally be displayed.

You can also tap the carrier name and it will display your WiFi IP address. This can be really handy at times.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Fozaldo posted:

I've been using AnyLock to place launchable (two taps) often used apps on my lockscreen along with my weather widget and an invisible slide anywhere bar. Really useful tweak. When charging my battery goes in the gap.

Oh god warning to anyone who downloads this jailbreak.

It's awesome, but it's insanely easy to just lock yourself completely out of your phone. The "swipe anywhere to unlock" option works ok...most of the time...but somehow after I turned off the default lock bar, the swipe anywhere option totally stopped working. I couldn't double tap on any icons and sliding didn't do anything. I was totally stuck on the lock screen.

I finally got the notification bar to come down which let me get into an application, and then to the home screen.

Feel free to download this jailbreak but for god's sake do NOT use the option to turn off the default lock bar unless you're a gambling man.

edit: For some reason I also can't get anylock to work unless I turn off the default date & time bar. iPhone 4 if it makes any difference.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 15, 2012

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Refresh my memory, if the last version of iOS on my computer is say, 5.1.1, and I do a factory restore after iOS 6 is out, will iTunes let me do that or does it force me to download and use 6?

Just trying to plan ahead for when I want to sell my 4 once the new phone comes out, and I'd like to keep it on 5.1.1 so that buyers can jailbreak immediately if they want.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 15, 2012

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

aherdofpenguins posted:

Oh god warning to anyone who downloads this jailbreak.

It's awesome, but it's insanely easy to just lock yourself completely out of your phone. The "swipe anywhere to unlock" option works ok...most of the time...but somehow after I turned off the default lock bar, the swipe anywhere option totally stopped working. I couldn't double tap on any icons and sliding didn't do anything. I was totally stuck on the lock screen.

I finally got the notification bar to come down which let me get into an application, and then to the home screen.

Feel free to download this jailbreak but for god's sake do NOT use the option to turn off the default lock bar unless you're a gambling man.

edit: For some reason I also can't get anylock to work unless I turn off the default date & time bar. iPhone 4 if it makes any difference.

Ha ha this man is correct because I did this myself, however any jailbreaker worth his salt should have sbsettings installed so a quick swipe of the status bar gets you into safe mode.

edit: your problems seem odd as I am using an iphone4 too but my AnyLock works perfectly. Ah the joys of JB :)

Fozaldo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Refresh my memory, if the last version of iOS on my computer is say, 5.1.1, and I do a factory restore after iOS 6 is out, will iTunes let me do that or does it force me to download and use 6?

Just trying to plan ahead for when I want to sell my 4 once the new phone comes out, and I'd like to keep it on 5.1.1 so that buyers can jailbreak immediately if they want.

If I recall correctly, Apple keeps the signing window open for a limited time after an update. So : it might work for maybe like a week, but after that you're screwed.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
So, I just got an iPad after months of debating whether the purchase would be worthwhile. Has anyone compiled a list of Jailbreak apps that I absolutely need to get? I have no idea what to do with this thing.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Try using it without jailbreaking it for a week or two. Then see if there's anything you want to change that jailbreaking can fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Biodome posted:

Try using it without jailbreaking it for a week or two. Then see if there's anything you want to change that jailbreaking can fix.

Yeah the iPad's potential is mostly realized with the stock OS. There's like 3 tweaks I use with the iPad and it's all minor stuff.

Swipebright - Swipe the status bar for brightness control
Quasar(sometimes) - Window manager, run Safari and Air Video side by side in windows
SBSettings - Duh
f.lux - Color temperature control based on time of day
AlwaysClose - Always show the close button on icons in the switcher, without having to make 'em wiggle
FakeClockUp - Speed up animations

Maybe a few more but I can't remember off hand.

• Locked thread