Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Derek79 posted:

That is my set up exactly. You'll be just fine.

Thanks for all the help! Finally got all my stuff setup and am doing the training. Wish I hadn't waited until the bubble for that, it is more annoying that I thought it would be.

Oh well this will keep me out of trouble on weeknights and weekends a bit so I'm semi-looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So I just finished doing the DT test and before proofreading it before sending it off I have a few questions.

1. I use the timecode in the little gray box in the video correct? Not whatever time the video player says it right?

2. Are any inaudibles acceptable in the test file? I only used it once when I couldn't make out what Ace, king of mumbling, was saying something while what sounded like a Cessna was buzzing the film site.

3. Is doing well on the test more important than having a decent resume? I don't really have too much on mine being a student and all.

4. I've read Kaz's posts saying that 4-600 a week isn't really do-able when you start off, what seems to be the average weekly wage for someone starting out? I'm picturing like 2-300.

5. How does the getting transcriptions job once you're hired work? Do they just email you jobs they want you to do or is there some kind of system where one claims jobs?

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 1, 2012

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Yeah, use the timecode in the box or whatever. They are cool with inaudibles, that test file was hell. I'm not really sure about the resume. I would assume that your accuracy on the test file is more important to them. When you sign up, you get access to a scheduling website. You can schedule up to two weeks into the future or so. You pick days and input the number of minutes you want to transcribe each day. And yeah, good luck making even 100 bucks a week. I am signed up every day and this week has been dry so far. Other times you always have something to do. It's pretty random.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Obviously, they want you to get as much as you humanly can out of the file, but yeah, I don't think anyone turned in that file without an [INAUDIBLE] in it (that passed anyway, because obviously otherwise they were making poo poo up). The test file is intentionally hard because they want to gauge your ability to parse difficult audio and pick up the odd borderline-unintelligible word using context clues.

As for resume vs. skill. As a freelancer, resume can definitely help to get your foot in the door -- most of the clients I work for won't even look at you unless you've got a year or two under your belt -- but when it comes right down to it, it's all about skill. This isn't a job most people go to school for, and it's a skillset that you don't have a lot of opportunities to develop in the normal workday world, so they're perfectly understanding of the fact that your transcription experience is going to be pretty much nonexistent when you start out. Just put in your time, cultivate a good relationship with clients and good working habits, and you'll be branching out in no time.

Weekly wage varies tremendously. First of all, there's the workload to consider -- sometimes clients just aren't shooting. In April and May I was getting work pretty much every day I asked for it, whereas now I get about two or three jobs a week from DT. Then, it also depends on what kind of work you can do; their standard-rate stuff is more common than the $1.25+ a minute rush/special work. When things are flush, if you've got a good rep for quality work, and you're putting yourself on the schedule pretty heavily, yeah, I think 200-300 is doable. But don't count on that as an average. If you want to try to make a full time paycheck doing this you're definitely going to have to pick up extra gigs.

Camper Down
Nov 19, 2002
I like to cuddle
So, I am in day 3 of the qualification process for Appen Butler Hill for the Web Search Evaluation (tm) position.

Is anyone here in production with them? If so, I have 2 questions:

How difficult is the final test? I've failed miserably on some of the practice tests because I'm still getting used to what exactly they are asking for (it sometimes seems a bit arbitrary), but I know with more repetition it'll become a lot easier.

Can you work MORE than the 20-22 hours a week required? I like the fact that its a guaranteed "shift" with more than decent pay, but I haven't seen anything about extra hours.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Camper Down posted:

So, I am in day 3 of the qualification process for Appen Butler Hill for the Web Search Evaluation (tm) position.

Is anyone here in production with them? If so, I have 2 questions:

How difficult is the final test? I've failed miserably on some of the practice tests because I'm still getting used to what exactly they are asking for (it sometimes seems a bit arbitrary), but I know with more repetition it'll become a lot easier.

Can you work MORE than the 20-22 hours a week required? I like the fact that its a guaranteed "shift" with more than decent pay, but I haven't seen anything about extra hours.

Take this with a grain of salt because I took the test about a year and a half ago and the test's likely changed, but it was tough, but not significantly more than the practice tests. A lot of the stuff does seem arbitrary, but they're usually at least consistent in the way they arbitrarily choose things. Also you can't just work more than the 20-22 hrs/week if you feel like it, but back when I was a judge they'd regularly send out emails during the week saying things like 'we need volunteers for an extra hour per day' etc. So it'll still always be structured, no just work as much as you want, but the possibility of more than 22 is (or at least was) definitely there.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Has anyone writing for Textbroker had an article accepted and then had it later revoked for any reason? Other than plagiarism, I mean.

I wrote an article, and it was accepted after the 72 hours or whatever. Now the client sends me a message, asking if it's too late for revisions (in a slightly insulting tone, no helpful criticism and no offer to compensate for further work.) I'm slightly worried that they may be able to escalate it and somehow force me to work more on it or get it rejected, though I think the whole auto-accept thing is in place to protect writers from exactly this kind of thing.

I just want to know if there's any precedent I should worry about, or if I'm pretty much safe. I wouldn't even care if it was some $5 thing, but it's $72, which is relatively significant for me.

EDIT: Their Refund Policy makes me feel much safer.

quote:

Textbroker.com has a 3-day auto-acceptance policy. You have three days (72 hours) to take action on an article once it has been submitted to you. The 72 hours includes weekends, so an article delivered on Thursday will be auto-accepted on Sunday. If you do not take action on an article after 72 hours, the article will automatically be accepted. There are no refunds available for accepted articles.

So yeah. Leaving the question and answer for posterity.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 9, 2012

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have officially started my LiveOps tenure. Finished the certification calls and they currently owe me $24.32!

I will say that the going through three up sells/down sells followed by three affinity program offers is ridiculous. With my first real call I basically ended up skipping them because every time I started on the next one the guy was like, "No no no" so I'm a little worried I'll get a compliance event for that one.

Does reading through the scripts become less cringe worthy as you do this? Do people actually purchase the affinity offers?

I have decided to earn, at a minimum, $62.5 to get my background check paid off before I make any decisions about continuing this.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Lyon posted:

I have officially started my LiveOps tenure. Finished the certification calls and they currently owe me $24.32!

I will say that the going through three up sells/down sells followed by three affinity program offers is ridiculous. With my first real call I basically ended up skipping them because every time I started on the next one the guy was like, "No no no" so I'm a little worried I'll get a compliance event for that one.

Does reading through the scripts become less cringe worthy as you do this? Do people actually purchase the affinity offers?

I have decided to earn, at a minimum, $62.5 to get my background check paid off before I make any decisions about continuing this.

People definitely accept them. I'm sitting at about 43% on them. I have a few tricks that I use. Sometimes, I will be like "oh, wow! The screen says you have been randomly selected for blah blah blah. If they say no, I just ask them if they are sure because they do get to claim that gift card even if they cancel. Then I say "How about I just send the packet out to you, you take a look at it as soon as you get it and if it isn't something you will use, just call right then to cancel. You'll get that $50 gift card for just allowing me to send it out to you" That seems to work really well

ETA: If you stick with it and are decent at sales, you can get invited to the sales pro line. The line has commissions on all products and the commissions for the affinities is tripled ($3 per club, .75 per magazine and .50 per transfer)

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Looks like LB is making everyone install a toolbar now. You can not have any other browser open when rating now, which is pretty annoying. So even if you arent rating and refresh to see if there are tasks, it will turn on and instantly close every browser you have open.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
:stonk:

Ugh why?? Lionbridge is boring as hell as it is. Welp, at least I have my Nook Color...

Edit: Is there any problem with browsing in a separate Firefox tab while I work?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 16, 2012

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I haven't got any notification about a tool bar yet. And god drat them. I was looking for tasks and a SxS local task popped up and I read the 30 page PDF because there just aren't enough PDFs to read and goddammit I get one little two minute task and that's it for tasks on that subject.

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009
I'm not suggesting anything, but it seems that the toolbar simply checks for known process names and shuts them down if any of them are running.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm on a Mac and the LF toolbar doesn't seem to be able to tell when I have Chrome open. Which is good, because I use it to view PDFs for rating. I am too paranoid to gently caress around in Chrome when I'm logged into the toolbar though (that's what my other computer is for...)

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
LF's toolbar has been closing other browsers for months now. It's probably because they don't want you doing work in other browsers since they want everyone to see the same thing and there are sometimes differences between browsers. The LF toolbar is also used for tracking time though.

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009
I understand the reasoning behind it, but force closing other browsers and blocking other search engines besides Google in Firefox seems a bit invasive. LB apparently has no faith in my ability to follow their rules, but whatever.

Umlaut fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 16, 2012

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
It is invasive, especially considering you're an independent contractor and they shouldn't have any control over the equipment you use to complete the work. Gotta play by their rules though.

Taco Pirate
Jun 3, 2011
If I browse in other windows/tabs while I'm working it won't track that will it? :ohdear: Some of the task lengths are a bit generous so I sometimes watch Youtube clips or just dick around on internet forums if I have an extra few minutes.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I am fairly certain that the toolbar does track everything you are looking at in Firefox. Whether anyone will notice or care is another question entirely.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Is Butler Hill as bad as LF/LB about getting back to people's applications? I applied the other day and got the NDA about 8 hours after, haven't heard from them since I signed it though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Maybe with this toolbar there will be more tasks. There's been a massive lack of tasks available to do lately any time I can do them, it's pretty annoying.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, I haven't had much in the way of tasks with Leapforce for about a month and a half.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I wonder if there are any browsers it doesnt check for

Appears it only picks up the major browser, tried about 3-4 less popular browsers and they all worked.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2012

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Hey, newbie question here so apologies if it's been asked. I just finished my LF practical test (part II), and I haven't heard back yet. Is it graded automatically or does it take a while? Basically since I didn't hear back right away I'm worried I didn't pass, which I doubt since I double checked things.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Guy Montag posted:

Hey, newbie question here so apologies if it's been asked. I just finished my LF practical test (part II), and I haven't heard back yet. Is it graded automatically or does it take a while? Basically since I didn't hear back right away I'm worried I didn't pass, which I doubt since I double checked things.

If I remember right, it is the same process as LB, I think it is within 24 hours of the due date.

Taco Pirate
Jun 3, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Maybe with this toolbar there will be more tasks. There's been a massive lack of tasks available to do lately any time I can do them, it's pretty annoying.

I haven't had a whole lot of time for tasks the last few days but I got in 90 minutes on Thursday and about 70 minutes so far today, and didn't get the "no tasks" message at all. It was bad throughout June and July but maybe with people going back to school, the work will pick up for everyone else?

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Need to hire someone for a one month contract working on a site. PHP familiarity required, preferably with some background in Smarty. Pay rates negotiable and contract may turn into a long term position. Work from home/remote work.

Contact me at automatica1947@gmail.com

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Removed my own post, apologies for not reading the rules correctly.

Edit: Hiring @ http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502777

Masako fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 21, 2012

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug
After the issues with Monarchy's venture collapsing, you should probably start a thread in SA Mart for writers instead of here, just to avoid any problems.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

For future reference please immediately report anyone soliciting stuff on here. Anything involving goon to goon money should be in SA mart.

If you do, I'd definitely be interested in working with you Masako.

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go do that now.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yes, feel free to post your opportunities here, but make sure you have a linked SA-Mart thread for the actual transactions to take place in. Consider this thread advertising, not deal-making. That way the mods in SA-Mart can keep everything where it needs to be with all the accountability that entails, and this thread doesn't turn into classifieds.

On a Textbroker note, I received a bonus from a client for the first time today. I didn't even know they could do that. I just got an e-mail saying someone paid me a free $7 for the fast turnaround of an article that was only $8 to begin with.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So the DT test asks you to paraphrase the questions, but doesn't really explain what they mean by paraphrasing. How should I go about that?

Edit: Also, do I include the stuff that is said before the interview starts, or do I begin with the first question?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 23, 2012

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Paraphrase. Sum up the question. As long as you get the basic gist of it, and it makes sense when read with the answer, you're good. If you want to be safe, you can just include the entire question (cutting out ums and uhs, false starts and stutters), but as long as you get the main thrust you're fine.

For instance:

Q: All right, well, considering that this is your first time on stage, and you've been through all these weeks of training -- but now you're going in front of an audience live for the first time, how are you feeling? Are you nervous?

Could easily be:

Q: Now that you're done with training, are you nervous going on stage in front of an audience for the first time?

or

Q: How are you feeling about going in front of an audience for the first time?

or

Q: Are you feeling nervous about going on stage?

or even sometimes

Q: Tell me how you're feeling.

as long as it makes sense with the answer. (For example, if the interviewee responded to the above question starting with "yes, I'm feeling kind of nervous", you want to make sure the question is asked; that response would seem a little off if you used the last question.)

And you don't have to include pre-interview stuff. I'll occasionally use [NON-INTERVIEW] at the beginning if there's just a ridiculous amount of dead tape at the start, but typically you just record the first question and go from there.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 24, 2012

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

Paraphrase. Sum up the question. As long as you get the basic gist of it, and it makes sense when read with the answer, you're good. If you want to be safe, you can just include the entire answer (cutting out ums and uhs, false starts and stutters), but as long as you get the main thrust you're fine.

For instance:

Q: All right, well, considering that this is your first time on stage, and you've been through all these weeks of training -- but now you're going in front of an audience live for the first time, how are you feeling? Are you nervous?

Could easily be:

Q: Now that you're done with training, are you nervous going on stage in front of an audience for the first time?

or

Q: How are you feeling about going in front of an audience for the first time?

or

Q: Are you feeling nervous about going on stage?

or even sometimes

Q: Tell me how you're feeling.

as long as it makes sense with the question. (For example, if the interviewee responded to the above question starting with "yes, I'm feeling kind of nervous", you want to make sure the question is asked; that response would seem a little off if you used the last question.)

And you don't have to include pre-interview stuff. I'll occasionally use [NON-INTERVIEW] at the beginning if there's just a ridiculous amount of dead tape at the start, but typically you just record the first question and go from there.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure what level of paraphrasing was acceptable since they wanted everything else verbatim.

And is this representative of what I would be getting if I were hired? Because this test file has taken me an hour just to get through 5 minutes. I know I'm new and will get faster with more experience (and a pedal and better headphones), but if this were a real job my hourly pay would work out to be like half of minimum wage.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

You're just starting out; you'll get faster with experience, a pedal will speed you up, and I can't remember the last time I saw a file even close to that poor quality in live work.

Most of the stuff you'll run into is more like this, quality-wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBf1-3zVsA

although they do have the occasional Skype business call recording where the quality's not amazing.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

After I had totally forgot about them and written them off weeks ago, Focus Forward e-mailed me and said I failed their transcription test. Oh well. Not sure what I missed. Daily Transcription still thinks I'm a pretty cool guy at least.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Focus Forward is notoriously tetchy. I actually applied to them when I first started out, got turned down for including "okay"s in the transcript, applied much later when I was looking to fill some time and got in. Unfortunately, I also got picked up at a much more lucrative gig nearly simultaneously, so I've never actually done any work for Focus Forward and I couldn't give much of an inside view of the place.

In any case, DT is the kind of experience you want. Media transcription is the road that leads to the lucrative gigs; focus groups and business transcription always pay poorly.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Textmaster update: They sent me an email saying 'there's a job available for your skillset! Log in now!'. I logged in about 30 seconds after that and there was... nothing. Does anyone know if they even have work? I'm not jonesing for the dollars because I have way too much on my plate as it is, I just wanted to see what it was like, but there's been bupkis for projects there.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

You're just starting out; you'll get faster with experience, a pedal will speed you up, and I can't remember the last time I saw a file even close to that poor quality in live work.

Most of the stuff you'll run into is more like this, quality-wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBf1-3zVsA

although they do have the occasional Skype business call recording where the quality's not amazing.

Oh wow, that's good to hear. Yeah this one was frustrating but I guess it makes sense for them to use it as a test.

One last question, and then I'm done. After the last question there's like a minute or so of the interviewer instructing the guys to do a sort of handshake thing and then walk-off. He has them do this twice. Should this stuff be included in the transcript, or should I just end it after they answer his last question? Or maybe put [NON-INTERVIEW] when that part begins? The DT website mentions that instructions by camera guys, etc. is non-interview but I really don't want to screw this up.

Thanks again for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I can't remember the actual context (this is actually the same tape I tested back when I first started; that's why it's so crappy, and back then they really did use .RMs for everything <shudder>) but if the guys don't say anything, then I think you're fine with [NON-INTERVIEW]. Technically speaking it would be [B-ROLL] but I can't remember if they include that in the test and guidelines or not. If they say something, you do want to include it, like this:

Q: All right, guys, shake hands.

1: Okay, man, good talking to you.

2: Take it easy.

(or whatever)

As you do media transcription for a while, you'll get a very fine sense of what's "on camera" and what's not, and that's one of the things clients love. Every time I pick up a new gig I always get compliments on my ability to pick out stuff that should be recorded and ignore the chaff. :)