Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Ineffiable posted:

and maybe if I get injured and get laid off for a month I can work through The Stand and the tv series.
Ugh, don't bother. I guess it's not terrible, but there's no disguising the fact that it's a mid-90's made-for-TV movie.

If you want the ultimate book-to-movie setup, read and then rent The Lawnmower Man, then try to count the similarities between the two. There are four, including the title. It's so bad that King sued to have his name taken completely out of the movie in every way.

Some more good book/movie combos:
Firestarter (goddamn that's a good book)
The Dead Zone (another really great book)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Most King movies are so incredibly bad that they become entertaining in a bad way. If you have some friends, buy some booze and watch the worst ones. The Running Man has almost nothing in common with the book, but it's a goddamn stupidly fun movie. Same with Maximum Overdrive.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Febreeze posted:

Most King movies are so incredibly bad that they become entertaining in a bad way. If you have some friends, buy some booze and watch the worst ones. The Running Man has almost nothing in common with the book, but it's a goddamn stupidly fun movie. Same with Maximum Overdrive.

This was kind of the idea in a way. It's not so much I was trying to look for movies that do a good job of putting the book in a new medium, it's to see what people decided to adapt/reject or even just outright ignore entire plot points and establish new ones.

On a unrelated topic, does anyone think it'd be interesting to see an 'avengers' be pulled off and have some of King's famous books redone as movies (again, ignoring the previously made ones) then a Dark Towers series be made once it's said and done? Avengers has shown us that kind of massive marketing can work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dr. Faustus posted:

I read The Road once, and when I tried to explain why it affected me the way it did, the words "bleak," and "grim" came to mind.

Then I decided I just don't know an English word that truly conveys how utterly <whatever> that novel was. I bet the Russians have a word for it, or maybe the Germans.

It is not for the faint of heart.

Another along these lines is one by James Morrow called This Is The Way The World Ends.

Utterly, absolutely brutal. It hit me even harder than The Road.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

It's not so much I was trying to look for movies that do a good job of putting the book in a new medium, it's to see what people decided to adapt/reject or even just outright ignore entire plot points and establish new ones.

In that case, I cannot recommend "The Mangler" enough. The story (fifth one in Night Shift) is nineteen pages long and a bit silly; the 1995 movie is 106 minutes long and utterly ridiculous.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jackpot posted:

Ugh, don't bother. I guess it's not terrible, but there's no disguising the fact that it's a mid-90's made-for-TV movie.

If you want the ultimate book-to-movie setup, read and then rent The Lawnmower Man, then try to count the similarities between the two. There are four, including the title. It's so bad that King sued to have his name taken completely out of the movie in every way.

Some more good book/movie combos:
Firestarter (goddamn that's a good book)
The Dead Zone (another really great book)

For a long time I was convinced that The Lawnmower Man thing was just a weird coincidence.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

syscall girl posted:

For a long time I was convinced that The Lawnmower Man thing was just a weird coincidence.

I just read The Lawnmower Man like two weeks ago, and I thought it was a coincidence until today.

What the hell do they have in common? Wasn't the movie some kind of cyberpunk thriller or something?

Also holy crap, they made a movie of The Mangler? That sounds hilarious.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I thought The Langoliers was pretty good for a made-for-TV movie.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ornamented Death posted:

I thought The Langoliers was pretty good for a made-for-TV movie.

Yeah, I think the worst thing you can say about it is that it's a little dull. I mean I guess there isn't much you can do to spice up 'sitting around an airport'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, I think the worst thing you can say about it is that it's a little dull. I mean I guess there isn't much you can do to spice up 'sitting around an airport'

You can try to revenge-murder Balki with a toaster in a pillow case.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They just put the movie adaptation of Thinner up on Netflix. It's not so great.

Lord Sandwich
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Febreeze posted:

Maximum Overdrive loving rocks. With Emilio Estevez and a soundtrack by AC/DC, how can you go wrong?

Also, "The Mangler" was one of my favorite stories out of Night Shift. The thought of a demon-powered laundry machine careening through a small town had me in stitches.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

No mention of The Mist and Stand By Me in SK movie-chat?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Junkenstein posted:

No mention of The Mist and Stand By Me in SK movie-chat?

Oh god how did I forget The Mist.

I found the movie to be fantastic! I know some people hated on the differences between the movie and the novella, especially the ending, but I found both to be equally valid and engaging.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

syscall girl posted:

From the movie's wiki:

quote:

The references to the short story include the scene where Jobe kills Peter's father with the lawnmower "Big Red," and the aftermath where the police state that they found part of his remains in the birdbath, as well as the company Terry McKeen works for, Pastoral Greenery.
That's it, :lol:. Murder by lawnmower, remains in the birdbath, and the name of the landscaping company. If I remember right, that scene takes up about five minutes of the movie. For that, they had the balls to name it "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," and he sued the poo poo out of them for it.

quote:

After two court rulings in King's favor, New Line still did not comply and initially released the home video version as Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man. A third ruling granted the author $10,000 per day in compensation and all profits derived from sales until his name was removed.
That last part cracks me up. "So you shitheels want to call it 'Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man'? Fine - he now owns 100% of the movie until you get your act together."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished The Long Walk. I liked it, but it just sorta...ended.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just finished The Long Walk. I liked it, but it just sorta...ended.

It ended when the Walk ended.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ConfusedUs posted:

It ended when the Walk ended.

I'm guessing that Garraty snapped right at the end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm guessing that Garraty snapped right at the end.

I asked questions about the ending just a page or two ago. Your guess is as good as several others.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ConfusedUs posted:

I asked questions about the ending just a page or two ago. Your guess is as good as several others.

I had to quickly scroll past all that talk since I was in the middle of reading the book.

I did like the subtle hints about the world the walk took place in.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I remember reading somewhere that what happened at the end was that Garraty met up with the Walkin' Dude aka everyone's friend Randall Flagg. I always thought that it felt right, what with Flagg being a constant in King's books and usually having a hand in horrible situations. But, as was stated before, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I remember reading somewhere that what happened at the end was that Garraty met up with the Walkin' Dude aka everyone's friend Randall Flagg. I always thought that it felt right, what with Flagg being a constant in King's books and usually having a hand in horrible situations. But, as was stated before, anyone's guess is as good as mine.
This has always been my interpretation as well, but I am an unabashed Randall Flagg fan.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Does it make me a bad King fan that I find that interpretation of the ending kind of...hokey? Considering he wrote that as a college student, I doubt he had that in mind.

Also, yeah...the references to the alternate history are kind of neat; but, in a similar sentiment as above, part of the appeal is that it doesn't become a main point in the plot. So it's fairly tasteful, as opposed to just another piece of dystopian literature.

Pet Sematary is still great, but I feel like it's running out of gas in the last 150 pages. I'm sure once Gage comes back it will get better, but I can only take so much of the dragging progression of Louis digging Gage up from his grave, traveling back to the Pet Sematary, then reburying him. I get that he's made the decision to do it. I just feel like this is a complete change in style from Gage's death, in that the flashback storytelling really did that part of plot well. I keep expecting it to cut to the next day after Louis has done the deed, but it just keeps going. I wasn't really expecting King to go into gruesome detail with Louis digging the body out of the coffin and carrying it with him, so that aspect is kind of neat.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

Pet Sematary is still great, but I feel like it's running out of gas in the last 150 pages. I'm sure once Gage comes back it will get better, but I can only take so much of the dragging progression of Louis digging Gage up from his grave, traveling back to the Pet Sematary, then reburying him. I get that he's made the decision to do it. I just feel like this is a complete change in style from Gage's death, in that the flashback storytelling really did that part of plot well. I keep expecting it to cut to the next day after Louis has done the deed, but it just keeps going. I wasn't really expecting King to go into gruesome detail with Louis digging the body out of the coffin and carrying it with him, so that aspect is kind of neat.
Its about to pick up again. The part when Louis gets into the woods surrounding the Pet Semetary with Gage's body is pretty drat creepy, and its all up(down?)hill from there.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rauri posted:

Its about to pick up again. The part when Louis gets into the woods surrounding the Pet Semetary with Gage's body is pretty drat creepy, and its all up(down?)hill from there.

I finished Pet Sematary yesterday. And I agree with you about that part. I felt Gage's return was a bit rushed and turned into AHHH MURDERER BABY POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL, as opposed to what could have been a great piece of psychological horror. I was really looking forward to what would happen with Gage's return, and I felt really dissatisfied.. The last 15 pages were great though. I'd say this is one of the few King books that could have gone another 100 pages, though, just to explore Gage's return from the dead and how it affected the parents, but maybe that was too much for even King to write.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Awwww...I liked The Regulators.
Wasn't that the one where the demon Tak hosed off because he didnt like making GBS threads? That was the dumbest loving plot device, even by King's standards.

Desperation was way better.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mr.48 posted:

Wasn't that the one where the demon Tak hosed off because he didnt like making GBS threads? That was the dumbest loving plot device, even by King's standards.

Desperation was way better.

Agreed that part was pretty weak, but I liked pretty much the rest of the book. "I feel like the president of South Africa." had me laughing for a good 10 minutes first time I read i t.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Have any of you been watching Hulu's "The Booth at the End"?

It has a serious King short-story vibe to it. The new season just started, and a storyline involving a character from the previous season has be convinced the writers of the show are a big fan of King's and have written in the Low Men.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Lord Sandwich posted:

Maximum Overdrive loving rocks. With Emilio Estevez and a soundtrack by AC/DC, how can you go wrong?

I second this. How can you go wrong with Emilio Estevez having a showdown with The Green Goblin in truck form while AC/DC blares in the background.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I second this. How can you go wrong with Emilio Estevez having a showdown with The Green Goblin in truck form while AC/DC blares in the background.

Well, it certainly wasn't easy. But they managed somehow.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maximum Overdrive's worst sin was that it was boring. The most enjoyment I got from it was King's cameo in the very beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Farbtoner posted:

Maximum Overdrive's worst sin was that it was boring. The most enjoyment I got from it was King's cameo in the very beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

As good as that one is, I gotta go with the Tobe Hooper/Clive Barker/Stephen King trifecta in Sleepwalkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz9AHZw_Ng

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jealous Cow posted:

Have any of you been watching Hulu's "The Booth at the End"?

It has a serious King short-story vibe to it. The new season just started, and a storyline involving a character from the previous season has be convinced the writers of the show are a big fan of King's and have written in the Low Men.

Is that actually any good? I was completely turned off by the fact it looked like it took the genius diner scene from Mulholland Drive and turned it into a short series.

https://vimeo.com/19215499

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
So is King ever going to go back and edit the books where he equates being gay with being a child molester? Or is that just going to stick around as a reminder of how hosed up the 70's/80's/90's were?

(I'm listening to Needful Things on audiobook again)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Locus posted:

So is King ever going to go back and edit the books where he equates being gay with being a child molester? Or is that just going to stick around as a reminder of how hosed up the 70's/80's/90's were?

He absolutely should not. One of the reasons he's successful at writing horror is because his horror is a kind of American Naturalism. The monsters in his books are terrifying, sure, but they're never the most hideous thing. That particular accolade goes to the characters like Beverly's father in It, Chris' father in The Body, Jack Torrance, and Big Jim Rennie. They're all people of their times who act evilly but don't even know they're doing it because the things they do (or did) are acceptable both to themselves and the culture of which they're a part (eg, being abused as a child and passing that tendency toward violence to their children).

He's been so goddamned prolific and written over so long of a period that it's easy to see (as much as I hate to use this overused term) the zeitgeist of the decades he's been writing through. Compare Under the Dome to some of his earlier works like Firestarter or The Stand and it's almost like you're looking at two different Americas. His books are very often a kind of exposé on the culture of the times (if not a cross-section of late 20th and early 21st century American society) and it's important to keep them as they are.

edit: he can do whatever the gently caress he wants with the Dark Tower

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2012

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As good as that one is, I gotta go with the Tobe Hooper/Clive Barker/Stephen King trifecta in Sleepwalkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz9AHZw_Ng

Wait...the annotations said there was a movie adaptation Tobe Hooper is directing of From A buick 8.

Fake edit: I looked it up, apparently it's in development hell. drat, I always had a weird affection for that book. Beef up the ending and it could make an interesting movie.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Febreeze posted:

Beef up the ending and it could make an interesting movie.

Beef up the ending and it would also miss the point entirely.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Locus posted:

No he is not going to re-edit his books to fit your tyrannical ideas about political correctness, and I don't think you can really make a case for him making some sort of sweeping statement on homosexuality and child molestation. He has ton's of characters that molest children who aren't gay. Needful things aside.

God your post makes me sick.

King has sympathetic homosexual characters in his works. You can't expect every gay character to be a shining beacon of social justice. Somewhere, sometime, in history, a gay man who has been warped enough by the events of his life has molested children. That's what King's villains are about. They are about people who are broken inside in some fundamental way.

His novel's represent the times they originate from. To expect him to go back and edit them to be a "judgement free zone" is ridiculous.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I just finished "Thinner" it was weird, and really only had one creepy bit in it. What really creeped me out was the main character talking about his daughter. He kept talking about his daughters legs, and how you could see just a little bit of underwear because she had outgrown her jean shorts or something. He brings it up multiple times, and the end of the book has the main character fantasize about killing his wife and running away to live with his daughter in Arizona for some reason. It got to the point where I thought King was gonna go somewhere with it, but he doesn't. It just hangs there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Mr.Drf posted:

No he is not going to re-edit his books to fit your tyrannical ideas about political correctness, and I don't think you can really make a case for him making some sort of sweeping statement on homosexuality and child molestation. He has ton's of characters that molest children who aren't gay. Needful things aside.

God your post makes me sick.

King has sympathetic homosexual characters in his works. You can't expect every gay character to be a shining beacon of social justice. Somewhere, sometime, in history, a gay man who has been warped enough by the events of his life has molested children. That's what King's villains are about. They are about people who are broken inside in some fundamental way.

His novel's represent the times they originate from. To expect him to go back and edit them to be a "judgement free zone" is ridiculous.

I'm not talking about gay villains dude, I'm talking about parts of Stephen King books (The Talisman being one of the big ones, a line in Needfull Things was more ambiguous, but reminded me of it) which implies that gay people in general want to molest children. It's a symptom of a time period where pop culture didn't really understand that there was really a difference between say, gay people, pedophiles, transvestites, transsexuals, etc, and had lumped them all into a "sketchy deviant" category.

I wasn't being 100% serious about wanting them edited, and it was more a jab at King's old writing and all, but honestly once in a while something like that pops up that's about as face-palm-inducing as some of Lovecraft's racism.