Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

opengl128 posted:

They really need to drop SIARPC. The episodes they've had without it have been much better.

I suspect it's there for mass market appeal. Wife & kids won't watch it but for the SIARPC segment, etc. It is a shame they have to waste that time, though. I always just fast forward through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Maybe if they only used race car drivers it would be way more interesting. I always watch when they have the F1 stars on.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ColdPie posted:

I suspect it's there for mass market appeal. Wife & kids won't watch it but for the SIARPC segment, etc. It is a shame they have to waste that time, though. I always just fast forward through it.

They really don't have enough time to make it worthwhile in forty-some minutes. If anything, they should alternate each week and just produce the show as if it's an hour and a half or something.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Top Gear USA is really quite good otherwise. How did Australia gently caress it up so badly? :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

psychoticmeow posted:

Top Gear USA is really quite good otherwise. How did Australia gently caress it up so badly? :(

Well, you see, when the producers are upside down all the time...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Fucknag posted:

Well, you see, when the producers are upside down all the time...

lol - the three guys seemed like loving whingers every time I heard from them. They even wrote an article in the Top Gear magazine in Australia talking about how they were going to promise to be better. I can't say I was ever much of a fan - they needed better hosts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ColdPie posted:

IIRC it means the show counts as a certain kind of light entertainment programme for the BBC budget.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dr JonboyG posted:

IIRC it means the show counts as a certain kind of light entertainment programme for the BBC budget.

It was the same reason why The Young Ones used to have a musical act during the show, it meant that it got recategorised as a light entertainment show, rather than comedy, and got more funding that way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

It was the same reason why The Young Ones used to have a musical act during the show, it meant that it got recategorised as a light entertainment show, rather than comedy, and got more funding that way.

The Young Ones had funding??

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Linedance posted:

7 well spent!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

"Dear fascist bully boy..."

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 30, 2012

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shimrod posted:

lol - the three guys seemed like loving whingers every time I heard from them. They even wrote an article in the Top Gear magazine in Australia talking about how they were going to promise to be better. I can't say I was ever much of a fan - they needed better hosts.

I kinda liked the last series lineup though, it is a shame that they got only like 5 episodes, with 3 full length segments.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
My DVR Reminded me that Top Gear USA has started back. Interesting episode so far.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

_firehawk posted:

My DVR Reminded me that Top Gear USA has started back. Interesting episode so far.

Do you think Faust really opened Rutledge's door, or just said so Chevy wouldn't be mad and drop advertising?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The cop car stuff was kind of meh, though I did laugh at the donut eating. The Z06 vs the Speed Triple was awesome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They finally realized "Hey, we have Tanner Foust on this show, maybe we can I don't know USE him to distinguish ourselves with some actual high-speed driving segments".

Maybe that's part of why Tanner seemed like he's finally starting to enjoy himself on the show, too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was disappointed that there wasn't more Stig drifting an Odyssey outside of the intro.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

opengl128 posted:

The cop car stuff was kind of meh, though I did laugh at the donut eating. The Z06 vs the Speed Triple was awesome.

That was the part I liked least. It was all like "WOOO! were racing sideways, this is so fast!!!" but it was all sideways and slow.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought the biggest issue with that part was the editing, particularly the cuts to Tanner inside (or some other poor camera angles) in the middle of nice looking outside/longer shots of the car and bike.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

japtor posted:

I was disappointed that there wasn't more Stig drifting an Odyssey outside of the intro.

Tanner was too busy in the cop car to change outfits again.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was a decent episode. My dad just bought an SHO so it was nice to see one of those driven properly, and it was good to see the Caprice (hopefully in several years the car-buying public can pick them up at auction?).

The race at the end was kind of lame, since we all know the bike would win, but the location/setting was nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't watched the episode yet but I thought it was interesting that when a UK episode comes out I keep accidentally clicking the thread and realizing it and mashing the back button. A US episode comes out and I'm all "eh, whatever, that might be interesting when I watch."

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
"This car has so much grip!!"
*drifts every corner*

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Looking back at the first seasons of UK New Top Gear, they were forced and awkward a lot of the time. And although the cars were really cool, it was still not organized properly. I think the same thing is happening in the US Top Gear. The presenters have had a good opportunity to learn to work with one another enough that the show is getting a certain momentum and personality. I thought episode was great but agree that perhaps over edited.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Preoptopus posted:

Looking back at the first seasons of UK New Top Gear, they were forced and awkward a lot of the time. And although the cars were really cool, it was still not organized properly. I think the same thing is happening in the US Top Gear. The presenters have had a good opportunity to learn to work with one another enough that the show is getting a certain momentum and personality. I thought episode was great but agree that perhaps over edited.

I agree. The issue is they started the show during the peak of TGUK and the audience is largely made up of fans of the original who are expecting the same level of entertainment from the get-go. TGUK was awful for the first few series.

The extra restrictions of being an American TV show beholden to advertisers certainly isn't helping though.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jezrael posted:

"This car has so much grip!!"
*drifts every corner*

Classic clarkson move.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I definitely like the USA Top Gear more when it's not in season the same time as normal Top Gear. Having to compare Season 2 to Series 17 is no competition at all, but comparing Season 3 to... nothing, well it's pretty darn good and I'm glad it's on. Only question I had was didn't Tanner introduce the Corvette as a Z06 but then say it was a $100k car? The ZR-1 is the 110k 'vette. The Z06 is like $76k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

davebo posted:

I definitely like the USA Top Gear more when it's not in season the same time as normal Top Gear. Having to compare Season 2 to Series 17 is no competition at all, but comparing Season 3 to... nothing, well it's pretty darn good and I'm glad it's on. Only question I had was didn't Tanner introduce the Corvette as a Z06 but then say it was a $100k car? The ZR-1 is the 110k 'vette. The Z06 is like $76k.

Base price sure, but a 2LZ or 3LZ with the Z07 performance package is right in the $100k area.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

wolrah posted:

Base price sure, but a 2LZ or 3LZ with the Z07 performance package is right in the $100k area.

yup and that car was def a z06 "carbon", you could tell by the brakes.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

davebo posted:

I definitely like the USA Top Gear more when it's not in season the same time as normal Top Gear. Having to compare Season 2 to Series 17 is no competition at all, but comparing Season 3 to... nothing, well it's pretty darn good and I'm glad it's on...

This is really what's helping me get into this show, I remember watching an episode of the first season, and didn't really care for it, surprised it got a second season, watched the Alaska adventure and kind of enjoyed it more than I expected. I usually hate shows that feature AK as a gimmick because most of the time they make Alaska/Alaskans look completely rear end backwards, but that was entertaining.

I'm watching my first episode of the season right now, and so far kind of liking it, can't really tell whats really made me change my mind, but after a long stretch without TGUK, it's fun to see car adventures again. The cast also kind of seems more in sync now too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
TG USA has gotten increasingly better in each successive season. The hosts really seem to have developed some chemistry and the antics are a lot less forced than the first season. A lot of the gags seem to be blatantly ripped off from TG UK, but the challenges have definitely been original.

Most importantly, I've been laughing my rear end off watching it :D

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So.... is USA worth watching then?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Two Finger posted:

As if we have an alternative. Ohh that's right we do. And its called Motorweek.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Two Finger posted:

Absolutely! The best episodes have been the recent ones (2012), so start there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I didn't really like the latest episode very much. I'm kind of sick of their mentality that small cars = useless. OH NO I CAN'T OFFROAD MY FIAT 500, IT'S A poo poo CAR!

It would have been one thing just to jokingly take them offroad, but to have everybody laughing at the car's small sizes, exaggerating getting blown off of the highway by semis, and mocking their slowness on the highway ("I finally hit 65! yeah!) isn't really going to go very far in getting people to put away their gigantic SUVs and such. Those cars (with the exception of the smart car, I suppose) are all perfectly fine on the highway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'm surprised Tanner didn't boast that the Smart was the only one with rear wheel drive.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I really liked this episode. It got quite a few laughs out of me. To be honest, I wish UK Top Gear would dispense with SIRPC and maybe tone down the reviews of super cars and just do fun challenges like these more often.

CornHolio posted:

isn't really going to go very far in getting people to put away their gigantic SUVs and such.

I'd like to think that the folks watching Top Gear are able to make informed decisions about their vehicles without needing to base their decisions on an automotive themed comedy show.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ZippySLC posted:

I'd like to think that the folks watching Top Gear are able to make informed decisions about their vehicles without needing to base their decisions on an automotive themed comedy show.

Much like denizens of an automotive themed comedy subforum?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Viggen posted:

Much like denizens of an automotive themed comedy subforum?

Point taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This just in, the smart car, fiat 500, and scion IQ make terrible pick-up trucks. If you're in the market for a pick-up truck you can scratch those off the list right now. Also, small cars don't adequately make up for a small penis, if you have a small penis you definitely need a bigger vehicle.

Useful consumer advice, there.