Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

I guess I kind of felt more like Nami this episode. Franky's tanks transformations were awesome and all, and I can understand how funny Chopper, Ussop, and Luffy were in their reaction, but it just wasn't doin' it for me I guess. They may have massively strayed from any sense of being an anime about pirates, haha. Also, I stand by my conviction that Human-Human fruit doesn't grant you burrowing powers. :colbert:

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but Franky was already a cyborg who runs on cola, and after the time-skip he's basically a mecha in himself. If those things didn't turn you off to begin with I'm not sure why this would send you over the edge. One Piece has a pretty ambiguous relationship with technology, in that some places it's like it's the 1500's and yet there's motorcycles and the Sunny has an insane jet engine boost and stuff like cyborgs and battle robots exist.

You're right that Chopper's powers don't make any goddamn sense though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chopper's powers aren't "normal" because he's not playing by the normal fruit rules. He's used chemistry and biology to basically mutate his fruit.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I look at it more like Chopper abusing the weird properties of Zoan types, along with the power of SCIENCE, and not necessarily the "human" part of it.

It does make me wonder what would have happened if a human had eaten the human-human fruit, though...

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

According to Oda, a human that ate the human-human fruit would attain enlightenment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Luffy/Usopp/Chopper wonder over the Franky stuff works as a quick gag. When it is dragged out over 5 episodes it gets tiresome.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anony Mouse posted:

It does make me wonder what would have happened if a human had eaten the human-human fruit, though...

Astro Ambulance posted:

According to Oda, a human that ate the human-human fruit would attain enlightenment.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Hito_Hito_no_Mi,_Model:_Daibutsu

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

KoB posted:

Iron Pirate! Here comes General Franky! :allears:
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

I never thought I'd see a gargantuan octopus cry manly tears. Thanks One Piece!

Also, at the end of the episode, Noah's Ark? What the gently caress?

socialsecurity posted:

The Luffy/Usopp/Chopper wonder over the Franky stuff works as a quick gag. When it is dragged out over 5 episodes it gets tiresome.

I enjoy it but I guess I can see where you're coming from. The last few episodes were obviously a recap saying "hey remember how the whole crew got really really strong over the last two years?" So now that everyone has played most of their new cards things should move on soon.

Or they could drag this poo poo out for 30 more episodes, it's anime.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

That's what I mean. The tech is fine, I have no problem with them having a tank or anything, but I guess it just feels especially childish and sometimes rather drawn out. Part of why - sorry everyone - I don't like Chopper. It's okay - or even funny - once in a while (especially nipple lights), but when it's every time Franky does anything, it just feels like the creators are praising themselves a bit much.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Strong World for the first time and the fan service is loving ridiculous. Nami might as well not even be wearing clothes. What the hell, Oda?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Isn't movie 6 or 7 the fanservice movie? Where boobs ignore gravity?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Movie 7. And it was excusable there because it was the director poking fun at Oda's female character design and how silly it had gotten. Course that was several years ago, so it's lost some of its bite.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm watching Strong World for the first time and the fan service is loving ridiculous. Nami might as well not even be wearing clothes. What the hell, Oda?

I don't even know if it's fanservice as much as it's just Oda being perverted. Until recently I would have said One Piece is my favorite series far and beyond anything else, but Hunter x Hunter has been really refreshing if only for the fact that every single character doesn't have watermelons strapped to her chest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the part where the camera is lovingly zoomed in on Nami's butt as she wrenches up a skimpy pair of daisy dukes into a semi-thong was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I miss when Nami and Robin were just members of the crew and not obviously Oda's wank material

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
I don't know why but I keep hoping that at some point she throws on a sweater and it turns into an epic joke at sanji's expense.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dukeofdummies posted:

I don't know why but I keep hoping that at some point she throws on a sweater and it turns into an epic joke at sanji's expense.
There's actually a moment in early Skypiea where Nami throws on a shirt and Sanji is all sad. This arc might turn out the same way; it's the most decent I've seen either of them. At least he'll still have Tashigi. :smith:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Ep 558 - The Noah Closing in!

I... I found it first?

Quick gotta think of something cool to say.

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmTlNqlMeRk

Johnny and Yosaku :allears:

bondster
May 6, 2007

So remember that One Piece in 6 minutes video that I put in the OP? Well the same guy did another video, this time adding 4 more minutes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, fuckin' nakama.

edit: after finishing it, if it had been the old one somehow stretched out 4 more minutes and adding a little bit more meat to each segment/adding to parts that barely got covered, it would've been great.

But this really sucks.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 6, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I understand why this show is padded out the way it is, but it's crushing to watch every new episode with basically 12 minutes roughly, of new content that's moving forward and not filler (Or the post-intro and recap)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Flameingblack posted:

I understand why this show is padded out the way it is, but it's crushing to watch every new episode with basically 12 minutes roughly, of new content that's moving forward and not filler (Or the post-intro and recap)

It makes you really hope for a fan cut at some point, like they did with Marineford Abridged.

I've been pretty disappointed with how they're treating the New Fishman Pirate fights in the anime, the animation quality is so inconsistent. Like 15 minutes of guys just bobbing up and down while running sounds play and then suddenly they bust out like 30 seconds of movie-quality animation for one little sequence and it's really jarring.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

bondster posted:

So remember that One Piece in 6 minutes video that I put in the OP? Well the same guy did another video, this time adding 4 more minutes

It's not bad but it can't hold a candle to the old one which was non-stop 6 minutes of awesome.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lordfrikk posted:

It's not bad but it can't hold a candle to the old one which was non-stop 6 minutes of awesome.

I'm pretty sure this is in large part thanks to the music. The 6 minute one uses a single, really big, bombastic song, while the new one uses a variety of songs, all of which are only...okay. The fact the music keeps changing kind of wrecks it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bondster posted:

Since I'm at work, does this one go back and add in the joining the crew scenes for the members that were skipped over in the last one, or is it just 4 minutes of post Marineford?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

Since I'm at work, does this one go back and add in the joining the crew scenes for the members that were skipped over in the last one, or is it just 4 minutes of post Marineford?

Its a completely different video that stays pre-timeskip. It does include the other crew though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has an absolutely hilarious sequence where the roughly 20 seconds of coverage Skypiea gets is largely set to Circle of Life from The Lion King. Talk about jarring.

It's a bad AMV, don't bother. The first one was good but had a few flaws, this one is just bad.

Also, nakama. Nakama, nakama, nakama. Nakama? Nakama.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
It seems Yibis are falling apart and I need my latest One Piece fix. I'm in the UK so Funimation is not availabe, can anyone here suggest a different sub group that are as good as (or close to) Yibis?

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
New episode is out. Pretty drat good episode this week. I wonder what the hell is so important about that ship.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zetsubou posted:

New episode is out. Pretty drat good episode this week. I wonder what the hell is so important about that ship.

It's Noah's ark. Hence the name Noah.

bondster
May 6, 2007

New episode came out yesterday. Animation is pretty terrible, hope they are just saving money for better things.

Anyway the 2-hour Nami special airs next weekend. Funimation hasn't come out to say they are subbing this (at least that I could find), so until they do linking subs should be ok.

Also here is the new version of We Are thats coming along with the special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHU2wGY1VuQ

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm really not sure what's worse, Anime going into filler seasons or Anime padding out the canon so much it feels worse than filler. :smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flameingblack posted:

I'm really not sure what's worse, Anime going into filler seasons or Anime padding out the canon so much it feels worse than filler. :smith:

Padding canon, no question about it.

With filler seasons at least it's all self contained, so if you hate it you can just sit it out until they get back on course. But when the filler is mixed in with the canon like they've been doing for the past couple of years now (:negative:) there's no way to avoid it, and the vast majority isn't even strictly filler, it's just padding. Terrible, pacing killing padding...

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I'd rather have Zoro fight a random filler guy in every single episode then suffer through AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU for ten minutes an episode. Marineford would have been a million times better if they filled the dead space with random cool pirates fighting marines.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They don't budget it for that, though. So you get reaction faces instead.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'd much rather have filler episodes and stories, as the desperate drawing out of each episode is really starting to grate.

When you account for the Theme, intro and recap, and other padding it feels like there is less than ten minutes of new content in each episode.

That being said, I enjoyed seeing zoro warming up this episode.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I went through the entire series watching the anime, and only picked up the manga when the timeskip happened. I never felt like I was getting an inferior product until Marineford, which was kind of unbearable to watch. I might go back and read that separately just to get a less plodding version of it. The animation quality has also suffered since Impel Down.

I didn't like Fishman Island all that much while reading it so I stopped watching until a few weeks ago when I heard the fights were about to start. For the anime-only viewers, trust me, the next arc is far better.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I watched the Marineford arc recently with my little brother because he was so excited to see the fights animated and :smith:

Are we confirmed for filler following Fishman Island or is it just padding of the next arc?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Autumncomet posted:

I watched the Marineford arc recently with my little brother because he was so excited to see the fights animated and :smith:

Are we confirmed for filler following Fishman Island or is it just padding of the next arc?

I doubt it, the way they transition into the next arc would make it pretty much impossible throw in a filler arc unless it was a flashback or something.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure the anime people came out and said that ratings fall when there's filler and padding it out doesn't effect it. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I doubt it, the way they transition into the next arc would make it pretty much impossible throw in a filler arc unless it was a flashback or something.
Well, Film Z is also between Fishman Island and the next arc and the anime managed to stick a filler arc between Loguetown and entering Reverse Mountain. v:shobon:v

I just watched the dub of most of the Davy Back Fight. It goes up until afro Luffy. And my god, they loving nailed the arc's dialogue, Foxy, and Usopp's "does the champion make the afro" speech. It's a pity the arc is so stretched out, because condensed it'd be near perfect.