Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's a bit more expensive, though, as you're not going to really be able to use the rest of the kit for anything else. Better to take spare Deathmark heads after making Immortals. Or, if those aren't available, fill in the eyes of a Praetorian head and use the forehead globe as the eye. Helps make the face nice and long too. Here's the "best" photo of that I did for mine:

Using Deathmark/Lychguard bodies also implies a 3+ save, which is averted by using Warrior bodies. I'm a dirty cheater by using Lord bodies (but basically everyone else is too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It could be the cheapest route if you just want five crypteks, but just using spare deathmark heads and lychguard/praetorian staffs on warrior bodies is definitely the most economical route. I never really considered the bodies a problem.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm a forgetful dude and I used to keep forgetting that Crypteks get a worse than the Immortals when shot at by Bolters or whatever, smaller bodies might help that? Or I'm just need to get better at memory.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:siren:ATTN: Ghost Hand:siren:

In your most recent episode, you were talking about someone posting rules for Inquisitor in 28mm scale. Do you happen to know where we can get our hands on that?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

He probably uses the really cheap prices on the models in an attempt to bring you in to buy overpriced paints and other hobby supplies. The $24 dollar drop pods are a no-profit hook to grab you in.

Which works if you have a few cheap loss leaders and then everything else is normal, but apparently the whole range is priced like that including the paints which are also sold at zero margin. In any case that's a stupid loving idea because 'overpriced' paints (i.e. ones at a normal margin because no-one is going to buy for more than GW prices at their local) make gently caress all money compared to just selling the actual boxes at a standard 10-20% off. It might be some stupid game to get 40k players into his RPG store or whatever but all those big box stores collapsing in grand fashion lately ought to have told someone that selling at zero-or-razor-thin margin on the stuff a customer actually wants and hoping to make it up with overpriced addons and impulse buys doesn't work, particularly if you forget to overprice them.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It's because he's not trying to make a profit, if he's like the guy here in Dallas running Texas Toy Soldier, he is probably a retiree who is running the shop because he likes miniature gaming and wants people to play/talk with. He's not in it for the money.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's what I'd do if I won the Euromillions. Buy a place on the high street, hang a sign saying "No kids, no hobos, no neckbeards." Then just sit in my empty shop all day painting tiny little men and making "pew pew" noises as they fight over the counter.

You know, in-between seeing the world and paying to have celebrities who irk me assassinated.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, people have hobbies, y'know?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
A couple threads ago I think SRM wrote up a really good guide for painting Orks. Does anyone still have that sitting around?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Just wondered if some people who actually play warhammer could help me out. I've got loads of sisters of battle stuff but I've never played - I only paint stuff. Would I be better off selling my different units in a certain way, like a set of 9 normal sisters then a sister superior? Or should I just bung them up in groups of five and ten and sell special units separately. I have no idea how grouping and crap works.

Any goony help appreciated.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Asphyxious posted:

Is it bad my first thought was "A whole sector that's really well run, but nevertheless resented because the lords are always hyper-patronising?" :v:

Nah that's pretty normal.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Fix posted:

In your most recent episode, you were talking about someone posting rules for Inquisitor in 28mm scale. Do you happen to know where we can get our hands on that?

As far as I know, inquisitor rules can apply straight to 28mm, you just gotta swap the units of measurement. There's a bunch of sites out there if you search for Inq28 on Google.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
e: wrong thread, meant to ask in the painting thread

\/ \/ \/ very cool! I have a compressor and an Aztek brush I want to break out, I'll be giving them a shot after my oath stuff is finished. It'll be nice to not to have to wait for clear weather to prime models outside...

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 16, 2012

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I spent some of the money I got for my birthday on an compressor, and I am extremely happy I did. There's nothing quite like basecoating most of an army in 5 minutes. I might actually get some painting done now!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

PeterWeller posted:

I think putting staff arms on deathmarks is even better because then you have the signature cyclops heads.

I make mine mostly from Lychguard/Praetorian bits, with a Deathmark head.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

Yeah this was actually Zach that brought this up - I don't know specifically what site/ruleset he was talking about, but I will ask him to elaborate. He of course, didnt provide me a link for the show notes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cheers, thanks.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Random 1000 point Ork list:

1000 pts

HQ
Warboss, Mega Armor, Cybork body, Bosspole 115

TROOPS
20 Boyz Nob,Power Klaw, 2 Big Shootas, heavy armor, bosspole 175

4 Meganobz 160
Battlewagon Red paint job, Grabbin Klaw, Reinforced ram 105

ELITES
6 Lootas 90
5 Lootas 75

HEAVY
Battlewagon Red paint job, Grabbin Klaw, Reinforced ram 105

1 Zzap gun 2 extra crew 36
1 Zzap gun 3 extra crew 39

FORT
Aegis DL Quad gun 100

I figure the Boss + MANz in one battlewagon and the boyz in the other move forward. The Lootas Find cover where they can and the Zzap gunz set up behind the defense line and have a grot man the Quad gun. The quad, Zzap guns, and Lootas can core anything that's not AV 14 like an apple, anything heavier I'll have to use the Klaws to deal with (but how much AV14 would I run into in a 1K game?)

My main worry is that I am taking too many toys and not enough Boyz.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

CyberLord XP posted:

Random 1000 point Ork list

Nix the quad gun, it's too easy to kill. Add a unit of grots for objective grabbing, and you might want to switch out the zzzap gunz for kannons.

Battlewagons are a bit expensive for 1000 point list. You might want to consider footslogging it and spending the points on more boyz. Just a thought.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Lethemonster posted:

Just wondered if some people who actually play warhammer could help me out. I've got loads of sisters of battle stuff but I've never played - I only paint stuff. Would I be better off selling my different units in a certain way, like a set of 9 normal sisters then a sister superior? Or should I just bung them up in groups of five and ten and sell special units separately. I have no idea how grouping and crap works.

Any goony help appreciated.

My personal feeling on the matter is if you are selling them, group the ones with plain bolt guns in units of 9 and then add a sister superior for 10, to make it a squad of Battle sisters, if they have special weapons, group them into groups of 4, and then add a sister superior to make it a special weapons squad, as for the composition, you might try to group 4 of the same weapon together, or maybe mix it up a little, I am not sure what would sell better, but if you have extra sister superiors, and special weapons sisters, let me know, I am in the market.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CyberLord XP posted:

My main worry is that I am taking too many toys and not enough Boyz.
If you want Boys with Toys, maybe consider some Lootaz? They'd also help deal with fliers (apparently). Loose all the Dakka until they fail a grounding test (or blow up), and then leap on them with your boyz.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Blompkin posted:

Nix the quad gun, it's too easy to kill.

Random question. I keep hearing this, but I can't find in my rulebook where it talks about attacking the gun emplacement. Where does it talk about this / what are teh actual rules on destroying it?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CyberLord XP posted:

A couple threads ago I think SRM wrote up a really good guide for painting Orks. Does anyone still have that sitting around?

I bet you're thinking of richyp's method. It's the one I use too.

http://www.richyp.com/post/Ork-Tutorial.aspx

CyberLord XP posted:

Random question. I keep hearing this, but I can't find in my rulebook where it talks about attacking the gun emplacement. Where does it talk about this / what are teh actual rules on destroying it?

If you look up "gun emplacement" in the index, it says its on p105. Basically its T7, 2 wounds, 3+ save. Close combat hits automatically.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 16, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

plester1 posted:

I bet you're thinking of richyp's method. It's the one I use too.

http://www.richyp.com/post/Ork-Tutorial.aspx

This looks better than the one I used for my Orks; I swapped out the colors for more browns because I have desert Orks:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/237797.page

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Thanks to both of you. It was the Richyp guide, but I'll have to check out the one on dakka now as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That Dakka one is great! Really lays out the batch painting principles, even to the point of leaving some parts primer-white until you put a wash on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's what I'd do if I won the Euromillions. Buy a place on the high street, hang a sign saying "No kids, no hobos, no neckbeards." Then just sit in my empty shop all day painting tiny little men and making "pew pew" noises as they fight over the counter.

You know, in-between seeing the world and paying to have celebrities who irk me assassinated.

I would just have a sign saying "did you shower today? If not, go home, take one and then come back".

Also banned MLP shirts and furry tails.

Retailers get about 50% off their product from GW, so its easy for them to knock 20% of the price and still make a good profit.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I thought I read somewhere that Bolster Defenses could be used on any piece of area terrain now, but I can't find it. The Codex and the FAQ seem to specifically apply to Ruins only... is this the case or was it changed somewhere?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Bolster Defenses could be used on any piece of area terrain now, but I can't find it. The Codex and the FAQ seem to specifically apply to Ruins only... is this the case or was it changed somewhere?

The BA and GK FAQs have the correct, updated version. GW really shat these FAQs out ASAP. You can bolster any piece of terrain, not just area terrain. (Except for fortifications)

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 16, 2012

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Phyresis posted:

The BA and GK FAQs have the correct, updated version. GW really shat these FAQs out ASAP. You can bolster any piece of terrain, not just area terrain. (Except for fortifications)

Cool. That's what I thought, thanks.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I'm pretty sure that Space Wolves Rune Priests' Runic Weapons functioning like oldschool psychic hoods is an oversight on GW's part, much like everything else they forgot to FAQ. Oh well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got another dumb Ork list that needs reviewing, this one 1500 pt.
code:
HQ (180)
Warboss w/ Big Choppa, Attack Squig, Cybork Body, 'Eavy Armor (95)  
Weirdboy, Warphead (85)

Troops (780)
10 Nobz w/ Pain Boy, 9 Big Choppaz, 9 'Eavy Armor, 1 Waaagh Banner, Painboy, Grot Orderly, Cybork Bodies (375)
DT: Trukk (35)

12 Ork 'Ard Boyz w/ 'Ard Boy Nob, Big Choppa (125)
DT: Trukk (35)

30 Ork Boyz w/ Stikkbombz (210)

Elite (210)
(2x) 7 Lootaz w/ Mek, Big Shoota (105)

Fast Attack (150)
(3x) Deff Kopta w/ Bigbomm (50)

Heavy (180)
(2x) Deff Dread w/ Skorcha, Big Shoota, Grog Riggers (90)

Total: 1500

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Hastings on the Warseer forum has come out and said that that huge leaked list of future GW releases is fake. He also said that Daemons will be the Codex after Dark Angels. This is one of the dudes who is almost never wrong.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Colon V posted:

Got another dumb Ork list that needs reviewing, this one 1500 pt.
[code]HQ (180)
Warboss w/ Big Choppa, Attack Squig, Cybork Body, 'Eavy Armor (95)

No, just no, seriously no. Please do not take a Warboss without a Powerklaw. Really, don't do it. - You may as well take 15 Boyz, they will kill a lot more in shooting, assault, can score and absorb more wounds etc.

Why does he have Cybork? Why bother with the attack squig? He will not be good in assault.

Warbosses have less attacks than the equivalent number of Boyz. They need to make those attacks count.

The attack squig and Big choppa are 20 points, better to drop them both and take a Klaw.

Without a Klaw, he has neither quality or quantity.

Just give him Mega Armour.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Phyresis posted:

Hastings on the Warseer forum has come out and said that that huge leaked list of future GW releases is fake. He also said that Daemons will be the Codex after Dark Angels. This is one of the dudes who is almost never wrong.

Tasty of BoK said the same thing but I was a little leery after some of those bizarre fluff rumors w/r/t 6th Edition.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Phyresis posted:

What? That seems off - I trust Hastings, but someone is throwing out some wonky information for all of the rumors not to match. I hope this is not the case.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I'm weirded out as well. I'm mostly worried that they are going to nerf the Epidemius + Death Guard list a few months after I buy into it :ohdear:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Conversely, Harry said the list was probably kosher, plus Hastings is basing his opinion on the Tau being wrong, but it's likely that some Tau might be released before that list kicks in next June/July.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
It could just be an old list, as in things have since been moved around to fit newer schedules/adjusted for Fantasy releases (which the list is noticeably missing). Makes sense to me that someone tossed this older list in the bin, it was picked up and then put on the internet.

At least that's my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phyresis posted:

I hope he's right, there is too much awesome sounding ork stuff on that list. My inner cheapskate was getting faint at the notion of buying that much stuff that wasn't second hand.

• Locked thread