Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Slim Pickens posted:

I tried with what I had and yeah, I'm not getting these bearings out without better tools unless I mangle the poo poo out of the spacers. These are probably the same bearings they pressed in 37 years ago.

Got a harbor freight nearby?
http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I do, I was just hoping to be a cheap bastard about it. Oh well, it costs about as much as the shop fee anyways.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have a slide hammer & various size pullers you can use.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

Does anyone find bike insurance to be way cheaper than car insurance? I'm paying $174 for both the SM450R and the WR250X with comprehensive, yet $900 a year for liability only on a beater truck I bought for $2k. It spiked a few years back because I didn't have a car, thus "there's a gap in your coverage". What I wouldn't give to live in a no insurance state.

Renewal for me will be like 125 pounds comprehensive on a Tuono but 600 pounds for an ancient, non-turbo Imprezel with a book value of at most 1/3 the Aprilia.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Renewal for me will be like 125 pounds comprehensive on a Tuono but 600 pounds for an ancient, non-turbo Imprezel with a book value of at most 1/3 the Aprilia.

Look at the sort of people who ride a Tuono (people who appreciate a finely-engineered motorcycle) and the sort of people who buy a non-turbo Impreza (people who promptly coat it in superglue and drive it through Halfords and buy whatever sticks so it looks like a proper race car innit then promptly wipe out a bus queue trying out their MAD DRIFTING SKILLLZZZ).

Am I to assume from your post that you own both? Because that's the kind of duality of self that can cause brain ruptures.

It's even the same situation with different bikes - my Mille R cost me 500 quid to insure (TPF&T, still not bad for the 26-year-old I was, parking it in on the street in an area where they burn everything they can't steal) whereas the cheapest quote I got for an R6 of the same age and price was well over a grand - and there was over a 500 quid price differential between a Hayabusa and a ZX-12 even though the Hayabusa was the newer, faster bike.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I guess someone really hates me as I discovered my bike knocked over this afternoon. I'm told that it was over since at least 8 AM. It's just a Blast so it took it fairly well. The throttle is all sorts of hosed up and won't return. Brake lever is bent at like 45 degrees too. The oil and gas in the airbox was just from being on its side right? There's a giant footprint on the right side of the tank from what looks like a skating shoe. I don't really get that since it was on the side that was down. I filed a comprehensive claim cuz gently caress it. Progressive won't be out here until next week which sucks a bit because I was hoping to unload it this weekend for Volvo money.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look at the sort of people who ride a Tuono (people who appreciate a finely-engineered motorcycle) and the sort of people who buy a non-turbo Impreza (people who promptly coat it in superglue and drive it through Halfords and buy whatever sticks so it looks like a proper race car innit then promptly wipe out a bus queue trying out their MAD DRIFTING SKILLLZZZ).

Am I to assume from your post that you own both? Because that's the kind of duality of self that can cause brain ruptures.

It's even the same situation with different bikes - my Mille R cost me 500 quid to insure (TPF&T, still not bad for the 26-year-old I was, parking it in on the street in an area where they burn everything they can't steal) whereas the cheapest quote I got for an R6 of the same age and price was well over a grand - and there was over a 500 quid price differential between a Hayabusa and a ZX-12 even though the Hayabusa was the newer, faster bike.

You can't drift a na impreza on tarmac, they don't have enough power. Unless you hit a curb and flip it over, it will grip again very shortly after you get on the throttle. You do have to unhook them on the brakes or they'll just understeer - most of the weight is in the nose. The Classic is basically a 306 xsi on stilts. Just less electrical faults and less nvh.

Surprisingly when looking for my sport I didn't see anything particularly heinous. If you want to see a gallery of horrors, put "vw caddy " into ebay.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Saga posted:

You can't drift a na impreza on tarmac, they don't have enough power.

Are you sure? Because I have a co-worker who says they can drift a Scooby around the round-a-bout and can beat a Ninja off the line.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the rider was pushing the Ninja, maybe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

If the rider was pushing the Ninja, maybe.

Maybe it was a 250. :v: Either way, most riders can't properly launch a bike anyway. Half related - at my CCS mock race I almost looped my bike trying to launch it the first time. Launch at 8k, okay, front end is floating, time to let the clutch all the way out instead of feathering, oh hey - that was balance point and here we go....., smash rear brake and nut myself hard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Frankston posted:

Are you sure? Because I have a co-worker who says they can drift a Scooby around the round-a-bout and can beat a Ninja off the line.

You can drift an Impreza pretty good on 4 donuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMYDbH_e4ac

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Frankston posted:

On wet tarmac and bald tyres if it's a turbo, sure. Getting it to oversteer into a roundabout is easy, but there's too much grip and gently caress all power to keep it there on a normal surface. You simply run out of energy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just a heads up for those running Rotella T6 oil, my local Tractor Supply has gallon jugs for $19.99. Not sure if that is at all locations or not but it might be worth taking a look.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

I used to work with someone who insisted his Corsa, with air filter, ECU, and fartcannon could do a 9.5 second quarter mile because someone in Max Power had a Corsa that with 25k of mods could do a 9 second quarter mile (which is pretty loving doubtful in itself) and so obviously his car was almost as fast.

Unfortunately he chose not to bring it to North Weald for a Run What You Brung because he didn't want to risk breaking his gearbox by drag racing. He was still convinced it could easily do 9.5 seconds when he put it up for sale.

(As I'm sure you're curious, I got 11.9s on my Mille R, my mate on his modded ZX-12R did 10 seconds dead and blew a hole in his collector which made for an interesting ride home)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Looks like there won't be any closure for me on my stolen bike. I was supposed to go see the guy selling what I assumed to be my bike this evening but he's messaged me to say sorry, it's just been sold. Time to move on. I should be getting my insurance settled this week.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've been halfassedly looking around for a DRZ400SM as a first bike, and the selection is perpetually awful around here and they're always $4800+ sorts of asking prices.

On a whim I just searched "supermoto" and there's a wealth of converted 525's, WR450's and even a sumo XT225 :3:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3207938658.html
Is there anything particularly wrong with the 525sx? I like the DR because it's reliable, acceptable power but nothing that's going to get me in big trouble and fun around town. There are a whole bunch of 525's, some have 17" tires but they all seem really well priced.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 525 wont be a great street bike, and really wont be a great first bike. They are powerful, and the torque starts down low.

For a first bike and a street bike, stay with something that was designed from the factory to be on the street.

There are tons of options in that range: DR650, XL650, DRZ-400, WR250X, and a whole back catalog of things like XT's, XR's, older DR's and such.

If you really want a supermoto, get a DRZ, WRX, or a DR650 to convert it, as IIRC its easier to convert than a XL650

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Got told to get off my bike today at the petrol station. Rolled up, stuck my card in and started to enter my pin code when I hear "Step off the bike pump 5" over the loud speaker. I've been using the same place for over a year and I've never been told to get off my bike when I'm filling up.

Edit: It did make me feel like James Dean. :black101:

Frankston fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 21, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Frankston posted:

Got told to get off my bike today at the petrol station. Rolled up, stuck my card in and started to enter my pin code when I hear "Step off the bike pump 5" over the loud speaker. I've been using the same place for over a year and I've never been told to get off my bike when I'm filling up.

Edit: It did make me feel like James Dean. :black101:

Why do riders have to get off their bikes?

I'd like to see these assholes balance the bike upright while fumbling with the petrol thingy.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Odette posted:

Why do riders have to get off their bikes?

I'd like to see these assholes balance the bike upright while fumbling with the petrol thingy.

Why don't you put your side stand down?

Also, I've never even thought to fill up while on the bike.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

I never thought about it till I saw a video of someone doing it. Saves time and you can get more fuel in because the tank is upright and not at an angle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Or join the center-stand-having master race :smugdog:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Frankston posted:

I never thought about it till I saw a video of someone doing it. Saves time and you can get more fuel in because the tank is upright and not at an angle.

It does seem to be some what of a hazard though. And I've had bikes that even tilted, if I filled them up to the top in hot weather they'd leak from the overflow valve anyway. I can understand the time saving thing though for people that are in a rush.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

It does seem to be some what of a hazard though. And I've had bikes that even tilted, if I filled them up to the top in hot weather they'd leak from the overflow valve anyway. I can understand the time saving thing though for people that are in a rush.

A hazard? lol? Surely after riding the bike to the station, sitting on it isn't the dangerous part? This is just funny cause I don't think I've ever got off my bike to fill it.

Sagebrush posted:

Or join the center-stand-having master race :smugdog:

If I saw someone putting their bike on a center stand to fill it I'd point and laugh.

Your bike best bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

nsaP posted:

If I saw someone putting their bike on a center stand to fill it I'd point and laugh.

Your bike best bike

Why?

My bike is best bike. :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I find that sitting on the bike allows me to look down into the tank and see fuel level better so I don't overflow. For what that data point is worth.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I already had an answer in my mind, but the two other posts I'm quoting basically covered that.

Frankston posted:

The one time I tried filling the bike up when it was on an angle, it was nowhere near full. I put it in an upright position and got an extra litre of fuel in. :v:

Snowdens Secret posted:

I find that sitting on the bike allows me to look down into the tank and see fuel level better so I don't overflow. For what that data point is worth.

And I've always done it that way, with the side stand down in the very unlikely scenario that I somehow fall off the bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
And if you slip with the nozzle you get a crotch full of petrol, some of which could also have spilled onto the hot exhaust. I'd consider that a safety hazard.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What can I say? I live life on the edge.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
What the hell. Filling up a bike should take 3 minutes max. Pull up, gloves and cap off, card in and fill while on the bike with your stand up. Ride away while the limp dicked H3 driver that came in after you is still hanging out the window looking for an attendant.

Part of the reason I go so fast is because I'm not supposed to activate the pump myself in my state, so by the time the attendant gets over to tell me to stop I'm already pumping or done. And even when I started riding years ago I never once spilled gas all over my crotch and exhaust, I want to see a youtube of this lol.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And if you slip with the nozzle you get a crotch full of petrol, some of which could also have spilled onto the hot exhaust. I'd consider that a safety hazard.

You might also want to watch out with forks -- you could pass out while using one and be holding it just right such that you take an eye out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

You might also want to watch out with forks -- you could pass out while using one and be holding it just right such that you take an eye out.

So you've never spilled petrol when filling up? Never ever ever ever? And such a thing is so far beyond the realms of possibility that taking the simplest precaution, one that adds at most 5 seconds to the process of filling up, is to you ridiculous?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've spilled petrol on to my hot engine which caused it to boil and bubble. Didn't catch fire, so no problem there!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The only time I've gotten gas on my crotch is doing wheelies on an old 70's XL250, and the gas leaked out of the cap.

The lesson here? You DO NOT want gas on your balls, it is incredibly painful.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So you've never spilled petrol when filling up? Never ever ever ever? And such a thing is so far beyond the realms of possibility that taking the simplest precaution, one that adds at most 5 seconds to the process of filling up, is to you ridiculous?

The only I've ever spilled petrol was when I was standing up, not touching the bike. :v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've never spilled petrol when filling up the 690 and it's about the most awkward petrol tank I've had to fill. The tank is also the subframe and there's only about an inch of space between the filler opening and the tank wall which means the pump cut off activates instantly if you don't get the angle right.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Helmet off, gloves off, on the centre stand, check the oil, fill up, write down the mileage, suit up and head off. I got into the habit of checking the oil on the CB whenever I filled up, so the centre stand was really the only way to go.

Plus most of the time I have a tank bag on, so I have to take it off before filling up anyway.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I always fill up sat on the bike too, I thought everyone did to be honest. Though I did have a fuel station attendant tell me to take my helmet off after I'd already put my card in the pump.

I took it off because I'm a giant wuss but I can't understand his reasoning, at the point he told me to take it off I'd already pre-paid for the fuel I was about to pump.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I like to stand and stretch any chance I get on a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001