Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
A great read! I'm anxiously expecting more.
Were you really rolling dices behind the scenes or just making it up as you go along, Steve?
If you can really roll something that makes you shoot yourself in the head, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

tripwood posted:

If you can really roll something that makes you shoot yourself in the head, it's amazing.

I'm no expert, but yeah, probably. Call of Cthulhu is famous for its sanity stat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I am really looking forward to more mansions sessions. My favorite part was when he tried to trick his crew into going to the spider dimension, but they were having none of it.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/mansions-madness-plantation.php

Even in Call of Cthulhu, Steve finds a way to play a barbarian. Brilliant!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought Steve was supposed to "replace his divots" but Zack gets to make new characters next time? Why did Steve need a deep bench of replacements, then?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

I figured more of the party was going to die earlier. I'm still going to use his creations, but I will make the replacement for Cecil that will be the main character next time.

This one was the toughest adventure in the book to turn into one of these. The others will be more fun.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I have to say I was not expecting this to turn into Call of Karnov.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wait, why were the snake people sharecroppers enemies of the snake woman?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

change my name posted:

Wait, why were the snake people sharecroppers enemies of the snake woman?

The snake woman was an ancient sorceress using the worship of yig and human sacrifices to sustain her immortality. She was like a parasite sucking up all the evil bayou prayerfulness of the share croppers. The obeah man was a direct servant of Yig planning to manipulate the investigators into killing her when she is in a daze eating all the magic. But that's actually a double cross too. It's a terribly over complicated plot for an RPG adventure and wasn't fun to play.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
So basically Steve's choice to beat the crap out of everyone was really the best choice.

Actually his desire to rip off the little boy's arms and end the adventure before it began probably would have been best, but would have made for a short update.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

elpintogrande posted:

I figured more of the party was going to die earlier. I'm still going to use his creations, but I will make the replacement for Cecil that will be the main character next time.

This'll be interesting to see. You are more or less the 'straight-man' of this comedy routine, and Steve is the more wacky guy. In Scenario One, Steve controlled the non-main characters that you created. In Scenario Three, he'll be controlling Sharon, Chang, and his own creations Samson and presumably two others originally made for Scenario Two.

The tradition of surprisingly good party members somehow continues. Samson, despite having been created by Steve and literally being Karnov, has a good backstory. Perhaps he was smitten with Rat Kelly, but did not dare pursue a relationship with her, for fear of discovering her origins (her rat body may also have been a factor). Or perhaps she was simply the first thing to make him truly curious (he is, after all, normally rather pragmatic). At any rate, after her disappearance, he began pursuing the supernatural, perhaps out of mere curiosity or out of anger at his own cowardice.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 17, 2012

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

This was a great update, my favorite part was when Samson failed his library use check. Looking forward to more thuggery and madness.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Chang the Celestial might be my favorite character. What a truly dark secret.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RandolphCarter posted:

Chang the Celestial might be my favorite character. What a truly dark secret.

Chang is the best. The only one in the group with a bit of sense.

Now that Cecil has died underground, do the survivors "inherit" his swell mansion? Nobody else knows he is dead. Chang could probably take over and manage the place just fine for years. Tell any visitors that he is just a servant taking care of the place while Cecil is out of town.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Angela Christine posted:

Chang is the best. The only one in the group with a bit of sense.

Now that Cecil has died underground, do the survivors "inherit" his swell mansion? Nobody else knows he is dead. Chang could probably take over and manage the place just fine for years. Tell any visitors that he is just a servant taking care of the place while Cecil is out of town.

As if any Celestrial could hold onto property without it turning into an opium den or laudromat.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hahaha, what a horribly weird 'voodoo powers' scenario. It's just not working at all. Good job at making it quite funny, guys!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I had an idea in the shower, and as a result, I shall now write a brief but no less real work of WTF DnD fanfiction about Session 3:

Steve: Okay, I know you're not looking for to me controlling two of my own creations in your party. I know you don't think I 'take things seriously' or 'display typical human intelligence'. But I've thought these guys through. Like this guy. A foreign painter who, unhappy with his performance ever since graduating from art school, and thinking that he has the potential something greater, seeks supernatural phenomena to serve as inspiration.

Zack: Not terrible, but... you do realize you're ripping off Pickman's Model, right? Is this as good as it gets from you?

Steve: His name is Adolf Hitler.

Zack: ...Remind me never to complain to you again.

Steve: I do. But it never works.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 18, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"You have saved my arms' lives."

Karnov has skull-crushed his way into my heart so well that Cecil's death via off-screen snake-munching barely left a dent on me. I can only pray that he survives long enough to climb a ladder he stored in his pocket and spits a fireball at Yog-Sothoth. Also what happened to Joe and his sister, or at least what usually happens to them in the scenario?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What would have been the immediate consequence of Samson trusting that snake? And did you really want him to (sounds like it would have killed everyone or been boring?)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

BiggerJ posted:

I had an idea in the shower, and as a result, I shall now write a brief but no less real work of WTF DnD fanfiction about Session 3:

Steve: Okay, I know you're not looking for to me controlling two of my own creations in your party. I know you don't think I 'take things seriously' or 'display typical human intelligence'. But I've thought these guys through. Like this guy. A foreign painter who, unhappy with his performance ever since graduating from art school, and thinking that he has the potential something greater, seeks supernatural phenomena to serve as inspiration.

Zack: Not terrible, but... you do realize you're ripping off Pickman's Model, right? Is this as good as it gets from you?

Yeah maybe leave the writing of funny things to steve and zack

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Samson is the best character in anything ever. Lovecraftian horror needs less brooding modern mystics and more brutish circus strongmen.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 20, 2012

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
It's best to read Cecil as though he's John Waters. I promise you. It's the best way.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I'm gonna miss Cecil.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

BiggerJ posted:

This is absolutely glorious. Well done, good sir.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Plantation scenario cracks me up. There's some horribly convoluted plot with all this dark magic and intrigue and NOPE, SORRY here comes a player fully committed to their role as a circus strongman.

I can't wait for the next installment, good job both of you!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the first installment was legitimately one of the funniest DnD updates they've done, so I was a bit disappointed by the second. At first I thought it might have been a problem with Steve being the player character, but looking back he had some really funny ideas. The scenario just sounds like it was dumb, and I'm kind of glad to hear Zack and Steve were having trouble adapting it and not that it was really good and they just did a poo poo job.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I just love that even in this setting, Steve managed to roll up basically a barbarian.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Is Episode 3 still coming?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah guys, I've been looking forward to it :(

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

This week.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Based on the response this is going to be the end of this series and we'll move onto something else.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

I really liked the new installment! :shobon:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I've been enjoying it a lot. The first one was sublime, the second was... odd, and this one was fun but felt very short, and having the characters killed in droves (as the game dictates) kind of makes it hard to keep connected to it all.

Basically my problem with this one (while still enjoying it!) was that we got some fun new characters and then they are immediately devoured by an omnipotent slug.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

R.I.P. Karnov, you lovable, bald-headed buffoon. Considering that any CoC module would now feel cold and empty without a Russian strongman to wrestle cosmic beings, I figure moving on is for the best.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

We were considering doing a Thin Man sort of deal with Chang and Sharon, but it would have been difficult to keep it going with a whole new roster of people.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Guys I love WTF D&D and you keep getting more awesome with each new update. Frigging have a contest where a couple lucky goons get to play too, I would be all over that

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Between the loss of Karnov, the previous installments death of that hilarious southern dandy, and the 8 year old rich kid being immediately driven insane, Chang getting off scott free and staying away from all this horror nonsense is probably the most likely outcome.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Guys I love WTF D&D and you keep getting more awesome with each new update. Frigging have a contest where a couple lucky goons get to play too, I would be all over that

Or have a goon run a game, even. I would love to see some hapless lucky goon GM run Zack and Steve through an old Marvel Super Heroes or Changeling module.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That was another great installment. The eight year old trying to convince everyone that they had been poisoned, then immediately abandoning the plan was hilarious and set the stage well.

RIP Karnov, glad he went out fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I really liked this installment. Extra love for the Mike Holmes bit. Bad contracting truly is a horror concept. And I'm glad that Chang made it since I've been rooting for him since the beginning.

• Locked thread