Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

DropShadow posted:

Get an APR tune as soon as possible. Instant 40hp bump and better gas mileage.

drat, 40hp!? Im seeing that I have to drive to a authorized shop to have that done, should be worth it, I will get that done as soon as my truck is sold. Should I be worried about the carbon buildup problem since these are direct injection? Any other basic need to do mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Great work cleaning up that tan leather interior. I'm a black interior guy mself. My fiancee had a tan leather interior on her 09 Jetta, and ever since that car I've been doing my best to indoctrinate her against tan leather. The fact that it turns the color of your jeans no matter what you do is just obnoxious.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

BrownieVK posted:

Any other basic need to do mods?

How much do you want to spend? :)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I just changed my cabin filter. It took all of two minutes and that was with snapping a photo. Pretty sure the one I just swapped out shipped with the car in 2007. There's fur, feathers, and it's black as hell, ugh.

When was the last time you changed yours?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My car doesn't even have one. :smug:

:chokes on clouds of diesel smoke when rear end in a top hat rednecks with smoke tunes get offended at me passing them:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

IOwnCalculus posted:

poo poo, that's vinyl wrap? Looks nice. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back, and how does it hold up over any imperfections in the paint below it?

Labor was $500 and I would guess less than $400 for materials, I already had the vinyl. I got it done up in PHX so if you want more info let me know, but I won't advertise on here for free. As far as paint imperfections the chips and dents will still show but it covers pretty well if you ask me.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

Labor was $500 and I would guess less than $400 for materials, I already had the vinyl. I got it done up in PHX so if you want more info let me know, but I won't advertise on here for free. As far as paint imperfections the chips and dents will still show but it covers pretty well if you ask me.

I'm around Phoenix and this sounds like a pretty good price. I'm interested. Also, if you happen to know a good window tint place too.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 18, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Paul Boz_ posted:

I just changed my cabin filter. It took all of two minutes and that was with snapping a photo. Pretty sure the one I just swapped out shipped with the car in 2007. There's fur, feathers, and it's black as hell, ugh.

When was the last time you changed yours?

Did this about a month ago myself.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Did a thing.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
This has been more of a week long project, but replacing the rusted out drivers side fender on my Dodge Dakota.

The original fender:

Yeah, it's way past Bondo time. But where am I going to find a fender for a 20 year old pick up truck at a cheap price? Off to the junk yard!

Luckily older Dakota's are still very common in Detroit. Even though parts galore has a small section for pick ups, there were several early 90's Dakotas. Fender rot plagues these trucks, and it's almost always the drivers side fender that goes first. However I did find one with only minor rust near the bottom front, so I grabbed the fender and wheel well.

Here's the replacement fender after a (crappy) Bondo job, just before painting:

Here's the truck with the old fender removed and old wheel well just about ready to fall off:

Several of the bolts didn't loosen, the heads just broke off. I had to Dremel the last two out. But I had enough extra bolts from the donor parts to start piecing it all back together.

The replacement wheel well with fresh paint and undercoating:

The replacement fender after three coats of primer and two coats of Rustoleum:

The bondo job at the bottom looks ugly, but that's gonna be hidden by the plastic trim, so I don't care.

I got the fender on now, and all that's left is to replace the trim which I'll do tomorrow.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Took a few things off. Halfway though a weekend long project to repaint the bumpers and trim.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the lower splash panel in my E39. New on the left, old on the right. Same orientation. Looks like a shark attacked the PO. :stare:

Also replaced the external temp sensor that mounts to it:

The sensor still doesn't work, so I think I didn't get a good enough connection on one of the wires. The remains of the old ones were up in there good and it was difficult to get my tools in there for a good clamp. I'll have another go at it later, it isn't a huge deal.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Got the fender and trim on. No missing parts and I didn't forget to connect anything.

It's not perfect, but it looks a hell of a lot better. Eventually I plan to get the whole truck painted white anyway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah the two-tone grey with red pinstripe is a little two eighties, something a bit more neutral would go a lot better with the lines of the truck.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cleaned a bunch of tar spots off the paint, the PO must have driven through a bunch of roadworks at some point. This uncovered a bunch of tiny surface rust spots on the paint,, a couple of scratches on the bumpers, a small parking lot dent and some slight paint transfer. The bottom of the edge of the driver's door also looks a bit abraded for some reason, the others are fine. Must have scraped on something, I guess.

Going through your new (used) car specifically looking for blemishes and dents feels kinda bad, but I need a comprehensive list I can give to my dent+paint guy so he can fix all of them before the car gets a new undercoating treatment and a proper wash and wax job.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I debated posting this, but I will now. I bemoan the passing of the era when manufacturers wouldn't care about an extra seam for the sake of making sensibly modular interiors. The cost of perceived luxury is insane hours unbuttoning really convoluted packaging.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

I debated posting this, but I will now. I bemoan the passing of the era when manufacturers wouldn't care about an extra seam for the sake of making sensibly modular interiors. The cost of perceived luxury is insane hours unbuttoning really convoluted packaging.

I agree.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Downshifted to pass someone and let the clutch out a bit too quick, heard a loud bang and the car jerked. :ohdear:

loving Autozone motor mount ripped :suicide: At least it's the easiest mount to replace, 7-8 bolts and 30-40 minutes, including pulling the alternator bracket. drat thing is only a year and a half old, at least it has a lifetime warranty.

edit: lifetime warranty doesn't mean poo poo when they no longer carry it. :fuckoff:
e2: they only list it as for a 2001 now despite it being the same chassis and engine.. and $100 now when I paid $45. :iiam: Guess I'll pull it and borrow a car to exchange it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 20, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Did the oil, plugs, et al in the new-to-me 1996 NG900SE. I had to use my 1/2" breaker bar to get the oil plug out. I gave up and hammered a 12mm onto it (carefully), and got it out that way. I have one spare left. :ohdear:

Getting 30mpg from it with a semi-wonky T5.5 system that is relearning. With the windows down. Stuck 10 minutes at a time at a 'single lane only' bridge due to repair. Sure, it's down two door inserts at the moment and it's a little lighter than original - not due to rust.. Why the hell can't my newer cars do that?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

some texas redneck posted:

Downshifted to pass someone and let the clutch out a bit too quick, heard a loud bang and the car jerked. :ohdear:

loving Autozone motor mount ripped :suicide: At least it's the easiest mount to replace, 7-8 bolts and 30-40 minutes, including pulling the alternator bracket. drat thing is only a year and a half old, at least it has a lifetime warranty.

edit: lifetime warranty doesn't mean poo poo when they no longer carry it. :fuckoff:
e2: they only list it as for a 2001 now despite it being the same chassis and engine.. and $100 now when I paid $45. :iiam: Guess I'll pull it and borrow a car to exchange it.

It seems like you're always having the worst automotive luck.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

Lightbulb Out posted:

A previous owner with the mechanical sympathy of Buford T Justice doesn't help.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not my ride, but Billy Tully and I just pulled an EJ251 out of an 02 impreza at a local junkyard, took something like an hour with basic hand tools and the price was right.

Hopefully it has less knocks in it than the previous motor he got.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Then we stuck it in the rear.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Billy Tully posted:

Then we stuck it in the rear.

Pikes peak ahoy!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

At least you can get to the headgaskets when it's sitting like that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea thats what I did last time too. I just ordered another gasket kit and I'll reuse the timing belt, rollers, water pump and the new clutch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only Forester with a 5.0L flat-8.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightbulb Out posted:

Well it wouldn't be as fun if I only posted about the good poo poo. :v:

But seriously, this is only the third or fourth issue that can't be chalked up to previous owner. :smith: I replaced this mount in late 2010/early 2011. The other mounts were done in April, with OEM mounts.

The only other issues I can't easily chalk up to previous owner is the 2nd transmission making GBS threads itself (it was bad when I got it and lasted 200 miles), the battery, and the alternator.

Even with this year's excessive repairs, it's still cheaper than a car payment on a brand new Kia.. and probably more reliable. v:haw:v

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Well it wouldn't be as fun if I only posted about the good poo poo. :v:

But seriously, this is only the third or fourth issue that can't be chalked up to previous owner. :smith: I replaced this mount in late 2010/early 2011. The other mounts were done in April, with OEM mounts.

The only other issues I can't easily chalk up to previous owner is the 2nd transmission making GBS threads itself (it was bad when I got it and lasted 200 miles), the battery, and the alternator.

Even with this year's excessive repairs, it's still cheaper than a car payment on a brand new Kia.. and probably more reliable. v:haw:v

I own 2 E30s and they have less issues than you have had, and I drive a shitload. Let's hope I don't curse myself.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I've bought 20 year old SAABs for (under) a grand which have had less problems than you've had.

Tagging the 1996 today. Got pissed at my insurance agent for not doing her job (It took 4 days to get her to call me back so I could get insurance on it), so I transferred to a new agent. Right next door. :q:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Decided to replace the boring black boot pull in the 500 with something slightly more interesting...

I'll get a proper Abarth one at some point, but £15 is a lot for a little bit of material.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
No pics, but the first thing I did was de-badge the tailgate and completely horse-gently caress my clear coat by removing the pinstriping down the side. Then a couple of days ago I finally pulled down the headliner and tore off the sagging grey fabric. Stuck in this cool little navajo fleece blanket I've had sitting around. Ended up being an inch or so short in the back, but no bigs.

Yesterday I began the repaint. Got three can's of ACE Rust Stop in Hunter Green Satin. Washed the truck down with dawn, sanded with 220, washed that down, wiped with microfiber, they taped it all off. Prepping took pretty much from 3-9 then I layed down about 4 coats before 11PM. Didn't even bother filling in the rust and poo poo. It's honestly way too deep, and I would find a new bed if I really wanted clean fenders. So I sprayed right over it all. There's some overspray here and there but it is so much better than it was before. You can see in the other pictures, it had all sorts of black rust converter crap sprayed all over, and dried, cracking bondo and whatnot all over the place. It's far from perfect, but honestly it's kind of a beater and I think it's a lot more fun to experiment with it. I'm happy with the way it turned out. My brother got a couple cans of black plasti-dip so I'm gonna hit the trim pieces and wiper blade arms with it today if the paint dries enough. It's still kind of tacky.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:frogout:

:getin:

Also found quite the collection of broken glass (complete with defroster traces) when I removed the paneling, looks like the previous owner caught a brick with the rear window at some point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Put in new accelerator pedal bushings. Was much easier wedging myself under the dash with the seat out this time.

I also replaced the muffler hanger rubber. It was much easier once I just removed the mounting straps and twisted them into the mounts, rather than trying to pry the rubber over the mounts on the strap with the muffler still attached.

Tomorrow I tackle timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, and timing belt tensioner.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
New DI, some minor under-hood cleaning, windows, doors, and floors detailing. Still haven't tackled the broken door hinge and unresponsive window. The other 3 work, after all. Found $1.26 in change as well as a few petrified french fries. :frogsiren:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Swapped the heater hoses. loving pain in the rear end to get them off of the heater core..

I don't think coolant is supposed to be brown either, especially with only 20k miles. Yay for Walmart-brand coolant I guess.

I discovered it was a different motor mount that ripped - the front one. It was replaced in May at a friend's shop, so I should still have the parts/labor warranty. I'll have to call Jason tomorrow and see if he can help me out on that. Or hell, if he'll just let me swap the mount up there I'll be happy, it's a pretty easy one to do.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I really miss how you could just swap out the stereo in older cars. With the lovely Bose system in my Skyline even changing the speakers is apparently non-trivial and you can just forget about changing the head unit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

I really miss how you could just swap out the stereo in older cars. With the lovely Bose system in my Skyline even changing the speakers is apparently non-trivial and you can just forget about changing the head unit.

Swapping the head unit is about a 15-20 minute affair on my car, assuming you have an adapter harness already wired up to the replacement head unit. It has a normal double DIN opening, though I have a single DIN Pioneer head unit with a pocket under it.

Before I bought the car I made drat sure it didn't have a Bose system. The only car I've ever owned that retained the stock stereo was my 01 Accord, and only because it actually had a decent stereo. The stock one got ripped out of this car on the way home from the dealer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got some 17% Viper tint installed. Keeping it legal, back half only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Changed the intercooler pump in my car. Way easier than I thought it'd be.