Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TVs always look big when you first put them in a room and one week later you are already planning the purchase of a larger TV.

Get the largest the physical space allows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

bull3964 posted:

For your requirements, there would be no reason to get the 50GT50 over the 50ST50.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...=panasonic+ST50

That shrinks your price differential to just $400.

You say you don't care about 3d and that's fair, but that particular LG TV isn't a smart TV. So, that's one of the reasons why it costs more.

To put it in no uncertain terms. The ST and above Panasonic plasmas are the best image quality direct view TVs you can buy new today outside of the absurdly expensive Sharp Elite LCDs. Even then, it's extremely close.

If you have an hhgreg nearby, they apparently have the LG model you linked on display in store so that could give you some ideas. I'm not sure that anyone on here can say how they stack up side by side and quantify the price difference. About the only thing I can offer is the ST50 is among the best that you could possibly purchase so it wouldn't necessarily be wasted money.

The ST50 gets a lot of well deserved love, but if you are sensitive to the flicker of low refresh rates, you should probably have a look at the TV in a store before you buy it. I've had mine for about a week, and I'm still not sure I'm going to keep it due to the flicker and the yellow phosphor trails. Everything else about the TV is very satisfactory however.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

upsciLLion posted:

The ST50 gets a lot of well deserved love, but if you are sensitive to the flicker of low refresh rates, you should probably have a look at the TV in a store before you buy it. I've had mine for about a week, and I'm still not sure I'm going to keep it due to the flicker and the yellow phosphor trails. Everything else about the TV is very satisfactory however.

Honestly, I had the same reservations and am pretty sensitive to flicker and the "rainbow" effect.

After about a month my brain had edited it out and it no longer bothers me.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, I had the same reservations and am pretty sensitive to flicker and the "rainbow" effect.

After about a month my brain had edited it out and it no longer bothers me.

That's encouraging to hear. I really don't want to go through the trouble of boxing it up and paying to have it shipped back and restocked.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

upsciLLion posted:

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about as far as flicker goes. I have a 5 year old Samsung plasma which I would assume has a low refresh rate relative to what's out now, and I like the picture just fine. Is this something that is more apparent in games vs TV or movie playback?

And is that a failing of the GT50 as well?

Would I be better off looking at a Samsung model that has 600 Hz refresh rate?

Also thanks a lot for the replies guys, it's been helpful.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 17, 2012

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

bull3964 posted:

TVs always look big when you first put them in a room and one week later you are already planning the purchase of a larger TV.

Get the largest the physical space allows.

Hah okay. I'll give it a try for a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Listerine posted:

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about as far as flicker goes. I have a 5 year old Samsung plasma which I would assume has a low refresh rate relative to what's out now, and I like the picture just fine. Is this something that is more apparent in games vs TV or movie playback?

If you are already used to plasma, it won't be an issue. Nothing about what he is talking about is unique to Panasonic, just the general look of plasma. He's talking about the different decay times for the various colors. So, if you have a white image that shifts a lot, one color (say yellow) decays as a slower rate than the rest of them so you may see some color flashes. This is endemic on all plasmas to a certain extent.

Either it got better on mine as it aged (which is possible) or my vision has compensated as I really don't see it anymore. The brain is lovely about inventing or deleting information as necessary.

Also, the Panasonics all have 600hz subfield drive as well.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Listerine posted:

I notice the flicker on my ST50 (which has a refresh rate of 600 Hz for what it's worth) the most when a lot of bright colors are being displayed. I haven't used my set for gaming, so I can't comment on that. I really think you should see one for yourself before you decide to buy it, but I would recommend that for any TV set.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have any reviews/thoughts on the Panasonic Viera TC-L47E50? Costco has the L47E54 which I believe is the same model just with a wifi dongle added.

I am interested in it because it has a decent number of HDMI inputs (4), has apps like Netflix, doesn't have 3D (not interested), thin-ish (bezel and overall), iphone app control and of course is available at costco.

Feel free to suggest alternatives too in the ~$1k range.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I've got a question regarding Samsung LED tv's --

-- I'm considering the UN60ES7100 series (60 inch, smart-tv features but lacking the stupid kinect garbage that the highest Samsung's have).

Now, I would normally consider a plasma display, but I'd like to have something more energy and heat efficient and lighter. I can do okay without super-deep black levels.

Question 1: Is this a stupid buy? I hear Sharp has a led-tv that looks slightly better, but apparently has a crap processor that stutters on 24fps 1080p video - that's absolutely unacceptable. I'd also like to play games (PS3/XBox), and I've heard there may be some lag.

Question 2: Newegg seems to have bundled stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102898 vs non-bundled http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102711

Is there a difference between the tv's? Like does the bundled one give you some OEM version of the TV?

Question 3 - would wall mounting this thing be a good/bad idea? I'm thinking that if it clocks in at 50 pounds then a wall mount could work fine?

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Since I have a Roku box , is there any particular reason I should spend the $300+ markup for a "smart" TV? I just don't see the value; what am I missing?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

So here's a question:

I'm looking to pick up a second TV in a month or so and I'm either going to be picking up a 42" or something for the bedroom or upgrading my current TV in the living room and moving the current one in there to the bedroom. (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G25-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UCK)

My current complaint about the G25 is mostly to do with darkness and glare. The darks look pretty good, it's a very deep black...but the contrast on the low end is terrible. Some video games are literally just puddles of dark with a character running around, and messing with the brightness on the TV just makes it a puddle of grey with the character running around. Additionally, any glare on the TV makes this entire business worse, so there were some games that really were only playable at night with all the lights off. Dark Souls is a good example. I mostly just play video games and watch movies from my media center on it, for what it's worth. No TV or cable.

So given that and my budget of approximately $1500 and size of 50"-55", I have a couple of questions.

1. Am I retarded and this is about the best I can expect and I should learn to live with it? (This is probably a good starting point, because at that point, this turns into 'recommend me a cheaper, smaller TV as we won't be using the one in the bedroom as often'.)
2. If not, what sort of display technology would be best to look for, or what specific models should I be hunting down?

Quoting myself like a jerk since I never got a response, but now with a more targeted question.

Would a Panasonic ST50-55 fix the issue I'm having with low contrast in the blacks, or would I likely need to get something crazy expensive? Better question: should I just go to a store and check it out myself? (Only VideoOnly near here is not really close to my apt, or I'd just pop on down.)

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

basx posted:

Since I have a Roku box , is there any particular reason I should spend the $300+ markup for a "smart" TV? I just don't see the value; what am I missing?

I've been wondering this too. I have been looking at buying one of those Panasonic ST50s, but since I already own an ATV it kind of pains me to spend that much on smart tv functionality. Unfortunately, it seems like nicer TVs always have it built in already. Any reason to want both a streamer box and a smart tv? Only reason I can think of is AirPlay.

funroll loops fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 19, 2012

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

When in Jerusalem, I highly suggest you visit the sexeteria.
I'm finally in the market for a big television and I am really confused. I was thinking of getting either 65 or 70 inches but have no idea what to look for. I don't mind spending money but I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck as I will not likely have the opportunity to buy another TV for another 10 years.

Anyone have any suggestions for someone who mainly watches sports and dramas with the occasional PS3 Madden playing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just wondering if anyone owns Samsung's new Plasma PN51E550 model, and what their opinion of it is.
I'm trying to decide between this, and Panasonic's ST50, though the ST is going to be about $400 more, where I am. :pwn:
I've been using Televisioninfo.com, and HDTVTest.co.uk for reviews, but HDTVTest doesn't have a review for the E550 yet.

It'll be used for gaming, Blu-Ray, and Netflix.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 20, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My younger brother is looking to buy a TV to replace his that died. The best 2 options for his budget appear to be these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-32C120U-32-Inch-720p-Black/dp/B0073K645A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345515451&sr=8-1&keywords=32C120U

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L32C5-32-Inch-720p/dp/B00752RAA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345515432&sr=8-1&keywords=TCL32C5

They look pretty much identical stat-wise, and in Canada they're the same price. The Toshiba has tons of reviews and a 4/5, so I'm sure it would be a safe bet. I'm curious if anyone has experience with that Panasonic model (Or Panasonic in general) though.

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
I'm trying to get a new TV for my apartment, but my budget is only about $550. Is it possible to get something decent at 42" in that price range?

The only thing I've found is the Vizio E3D420VX: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Class-Theater-Internet-E3D420VX/dp/B004U5T2OG/ref=sr_1_9?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345653298&sr=1-9

But I'm hoping there are other, better options. I don't care too much about refresh rate, though I'd prefer 120hz, and I don't care about 3D. Picture quality is obviously the number 1 priority here. Any other choices? Or is the Vizio worth it?

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Is there a consensus on the viability of DLP TV's for larger sizes, such as 73"? They're significantly less money than other technologies, so my first thought is that either there's no way it can look as good, or they'll crap out quickly. Anyone have an opinion?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They just aren't marketable because slim is in. As a side effect to that, most companies have stopped putting out models so there's less choice.

They can put out very good image quality, they're just less versatile. The fact that they have decent amounts of depth and aren't as good on viewing angles as other TV technologies limits their usefulness for a lot of people.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Inertiatic posted:

I'm trying to get a new TV for my apartment, but my budget is only about $550. Is it possible to get something decent at 42" in that price range?

The only thing I've found is the Vizio E3D420VX: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Class-Theater-Internet-E3D420VX/dp/B004U5T2OG/ref=sr_1_9?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345653298&sr=1-9

But I'm hoping there are other, better options. I don't care too much about refresh rate, though I'd prefer 120hz, and I don't care about 3D. Picture quality is obviously the number 1 priority here. Any other choices? Or is the Vizio worth it?

Many people consider Vizio in the upper tier alongside Sony, Samsung, etc. Seems like a good deal to me.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Is there a consensus on the viability of DLP TV's for larger sizes, such as 73"? They're significantly less money than other technologies, so my first thought is that either there's no way it can look as good, or they'll crap out quickly. Anyone have an opinion?

99% of the Internet doesn't like them. It's true they have a limited viewing angle, but I've never had a room where I'm not in front of a TV, four cushion wide couch with a L, about 15'-20' away with no issue with seeing a bad picture. They aren't flat so you can't hang them, I think they're like a foot deep at the deepest. Weigh a bit more than a plasma. But not that much.

That being said, I love my 65" dlp and everyone who has ever seen it has remarked how good the picture is. 6 years of heavy TV use and I replaced the lamp once. It was $50 for a new one and took 10 seconds.

Also, I like the dlp picture more than LCD or plasma. I'd highly recommend them if you want a huge tv. Every post after this will probably hate them. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it possible to get a ~42" LED TV without all this extra poo poo like 3D and an onboard computer and GPS and waffle iron?

I'm literally hooking up a Roku and Mac Mini, and will pretty much just watch encoded streaming stuff on it anyway. I just want something larger than my computer monitor.

All I seem to find are off-brands (or at least less-known).

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 23, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

They just aren't marketable because slim is in. As a side effect to that, most companies have stopped putting out models so there's less choice.

They can put out very good image quality, they're just less versatile. The fact that they have decent amounts of depth and aren't as good on viewing angles as other TV technologies limits their usefulness for a lot of people.

What about Mitsubishi's Laser TV's? Aren't they pretty much better DLP's? I know the main model is 75 inches, like he wanted, and Amazon has it for $4600.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I've had my LG 60PA6500 for several months now and have noticed a sync issue with the audio for the whole time and I'm finally ready to tackle it. Speech is about 1/2 second delayed from the mouth movement regardless of what input (digital cable over coax, Uverse over HDMI, HTPC over HDMI) nor does it matter the audio output. I had the optical going into a Yamaha receiver and now my new Sony Soundbar, both have the issue as well as just using the built-in speakers. My uneducated guess is that some video filtering is going on and delaying it without accommodating for the audio. Do you guys have any ideas on where to start? I'd start with components, but all of them have the issue!

Appreciate any assistance. Love this set, it's a huge value and looks fantastic.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
So is Amazon the best way to go if you don't have a CostCo membership? I'm looking at TVs under $500 and I have my eye on a Vizio 42" model.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm really torn. I'm currently on a 32" LCD and its just too small for the living room. It works fine as a Bedroom TV, but now i'm on my own with a bigger space, I think a bigger TV is called for.

I'm torn between the 42/47 LCD size or jumping up to 50" and Plasma via Panasonic. I'd really like to stay below the $700 limit unless there is a huge case to be made.

I can get the Panasonic U50 for about $700 through amazon, which really seems to be the sweet sport of Size/Price/Technology. Is it really worth having to save the money even longer, and double the price just for the 3D and Black Panel Louvers of the ST50 and up?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm planning this year to replace my old 20" Sony WEGA and move to digital cable with basic HD service. My living room is a bit small so my viewing distance is about 5-6 feet. I've been looking at sets that are 32"-40" and it's hard to differentiate between them. I have a Tivo that does Netflix streaming so the TV being internet capable feels like a low priority. Decent sound would be nice, at least as good as the old Sony. I'll primarily be watching Tivo, Netflix DVDs and Netflix streaming. I have a decent Pioneer DVD player with HDMI on it and the Tivo Premiere is also modern, with HDMI.

Is there anything I need to be looking for, or avoid? I'm not interested in 3D but I can see the appeal of LED backlighting, just not sure if it's worth the premium. I watch very little sports and won't have a video game system hooked up to the TV so refresh rate might not be important either.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Argali posted:

So is Amazon the best way to go if you don't have a CostCo membership? I'm looking at TVs under $500 and I have my eye on a Vizio 42" model.

It's what I'm doing, although you could also look at newegg.com for price comparison; they also do home delivery but I've never used them for TV.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I need some advice in what to be looking for in a TV. Ideally, my perfect set-up would be my gaming computer in one room, and somehow hooking that up to the tv in another room. I'd play games and watch movies/Tv. Cable-wise, it'd be about 40', but physically, it's only about 15-20'.

Will an HDMI cable carry sound from a video card (AMD 6950) to a TV? What options do I have to connect a computer to a TV? Is there some kind of wireless option (Be it a set-top box or smart tv) or am I going to have to get a shielded 40' HDMI cable plus maybe a sound cable and card as well? Does my video card have enough juice to do it? My budget for this setup is about $800-900 and a 43"-47", so maybe this whole idea is impossible anyway? Help :ohdear:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Takkaryx posted:

I need some advice in what to be looking for in a TV. Ideally, my perfect set-up would be my gaming computer in one room, and somehow hooking that up to the tv in another room. I'd play games and watch movies/Tv. Cable-wise, it'd be about 40', but physically, it's only about 15-20'.

Will an HDMI cable carry sound from a video card (AMD 6950) to a TV? What options do I have to connect a computer to a TV? Is there some kind of wireless option (Be it a set-top box or smart tv) or am I going to have to get a shielded 40' HDMI cable plus maybe a sound cable and card as well? Does my video card have enough juice to do it? My budget for this setup is about $800-900 and a 43"-47", so maybe this whole idea is impossible anyway? Help :ohdear:

Your video card can carry audio through HDMI, and that card should be just fine for whatever you're doing.

I guess if you wanted to go wireless you could get something like an AppleTV and beam content over WiFi.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
Is ordering a used TV from Amazon a terrible idea? Does anyone have experience with this?

How about the different quality ratings (Good, Very Good, Like New, ect)?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I'm trying to connect an LCD monitor (DVI/VGA) to a dorm room free cable connection. Any ideas for the cheapest solution to do that? Looks like some of the channels are HD.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You'll want an external TV tuner with VGA/DVI output.

Here's one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4272279&CatId=4641

Newegg has a few more.
I'm surprised Roku/Boxee don't have coax tuners included, though it probably keeps the price down.
Perhaps it could be done with an Coax-to-USB tuner.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 27, 2012

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

I'm looking to get a new tv in the 47" range, and I was looking for some suggestions.

I don't particularly care about 3D, I'd prefer LED, and my budget is $1,000.

Would either of these two tvs, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752RABI, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TEE92K, be good choices or is there something significantly better in my price range?

Burger McAngus fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 27, 2012

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey, guys, probably a stupid question but here goes:

I have a 4 year old LCD tv that only has 1 HDMI slot. Now, I've recently gotten my HD decoder for cable, and that took up the HDMI slot. And I'm now getting a media player for those pesky mp4s and mkvs and whatnot. Is there some kind of HDMI splitter cable that would work, or another kind of workaround, so I don't have to unplug the player when I wanna watch TV or the other way around? Thanks, hope my post wasn't too convoluted.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey, guys, probably a stupid question but here goes:

I have a 4 year old LCD tv that only has 1 HDMI slot. Now, I've recently gotten my HD decoder for cable, and that took up the HDMI slot. And I'm now getting a media player for those pesky mp4s and mkvs and whatnot. Is there some kind of HDMI splitter cable that would work, or another kind of workaround, so I don't have to unplug the player when I wanna watch TV or the other way around? Thanks, hope my post wasn't too convoluted.

You're in luck!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+switch

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

tophet posted:

Is ordering a used TV from Amazon a terrible idea? Does anyone have experience with this?

How about the different quality ratings (Good, Very Good, Like New, ect)?

I bought a like new 32" from the warehouse a few years ago. I ended up returning it as it wasn't working well with my desktop but it wasn't banged up at all.

Return was painless.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I've had my LG 60PA6500 for several months now and have noticed a sync issue with the audio for the whole time and I'm finally ready to tackle it. Speech is about 1/2 second delayed from the mouth movement regardless of what input (digital cable over coax, Uverse over HDMI, HTPC over HDMI) nor does it matter the audio output. I had the optical going into a Yamaha receiver and now my new Sony Soundbar, both have the issue as well as just using the built-in speakers. My uneducated guess is that some video filtering is going on and delaying it without accommodating for the audio. Do you guys have any ideas on where to start? I'd start with components, but all of them have the issue!

Appreciate any assistance. Love this set, it's a huge value and looks fantastic.

Just wanted to bump this again to see if there is any insight people may have.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I can get the Panasonic U50 for about $700 through amazon, which really seems to be the sweet sport of Size/Price/Technology. Is it really worth having to save the money even longer, and double the price just for the 3D and Black Panel Louvers of the ST50 and up?

bump for the new home of the thread.

ST50 owners, comments? I know I've seen several of you buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

toplitzin posted:

bump for the new home of the thread.

ST50 owners, comments? I know I've seen several of you buy them.

If you can wait a week, I'm getting either the 60" or 65" ST50 and will report back about whether or not I like the set.

• Locked thread