Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Ewen Cluney posted:

What Potsticker said. As for translating it, there's more interest in an English version than I expected, but it's still a game a lot of people will find skeevy, plus there's no shortage of other interesting TRPGs to translate. So my answer to that would be, _maybe_ some day.
Well, the body parts mechanic seems rather interesting and adaptable.

I wonder if it wouldn't work just fine as a mecha game, just replace undead monsters with mechanical ones and the girls with emo pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Just started slogging through Arianrhod at lunch. I'm shocked (but not surprised) at how bad my kanji skills are after such a long layoff of study. Good news is that by the time I'm done with the book, I'll probably be better than I was during 4th year Japanese 10 years ago.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DiamondSutra posted:

Sorta! Not cyber, all crime action. Think of it as probably the closest RPG to "Black Lagoon" I can imagine. Rules focus on a few areas:
investigations
chases
loving
drugs
abnormal hobbies
gunfights
becoming more and more a criminal

it's tight an brilliant, and has a ton of that Hayami Rasenjin art (Meikyuu) that really, REALLY makes it truly stand out.
It's a lot of data/material, though.

That this is only your second priority sets a pretty high bar for Double Cross.

e: this Scenario Craft thing does indeed sound pretty great

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 8, 2012

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Looks like the Tenra Bansho kickstarter is just about upon us. http://www.tenra-rpg.com/blog/?p=241

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Looks like the Tenra Bansho kickstarter is just about upon us. http://www.tenra-rpg.com/blog/?p=241

My wallet was suffering enough from video-game Kickstarters, then comes Last Stand/Dungeon World/Tenra Bansho. :10bux: HURT ME MORE :10bux:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Potsticker posted:

I've been waiting years for this. Hell, in the amount of time I've been waiting I probably could have learned Japanese and imported my own copy.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
A while ago Ken Akamatsu's free manga site J-Comi announced they'd also be hosting free PDFs of older tabletop RPGs, and they just posted up Mononoke Koyake (the first Golden Sky Stories/Yuuyake Koyake supplement) and Ryuutama.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Yoink!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Potsticker posted:

Hell yes. Not only for the Tenra launch, but...

Ewen, is the GSS Kickstarter still going up after the TB release?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

Hell yes. Not only for the Tenra launch, but...

Ewen, is the GSS Kickstarter still going up after the TB release?
That's still the plan. I have a ton of things to get done though.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

A while ago Ken Akamatsu's free manga site J-Comi announced they'd also be hosting free PDFs of older tabletop RPGs, and they just posted up Mononoke Koyake (the first Golden Sky Stories/Yuuyake Koyake supplement) and Ryuutama.

Was there an unofficial English translation of Ryuutama floating around? I can't remember.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

jadarx posted:

Was there an unofficial English translation of Ryuutama floating around? I can't remember.
There was; Andy had gotten some copies of the Japanese rulebook and was giving the translation to people who bought it. But he's also working on an official English version of the new edition to come out later this year, theoretically at the same time as the Japanese and French versions.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ewen Cluney posted:

That's still the plan. I have a ton of things to get done though.

Can you get Luke to do the GSS layout too? The man is some kind of layout demigod, but more importantly his posts and tweets as he endured the anguish of laying out Tenra Bansho have been hilarious.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Kestral posted:

Can you get Luke to do the GSS layout too? The man is some kind of layout demigod, but more importantly his posts and tweets as he endured the anguish of laying out Tenra Bansho have been hilarious.
Clay Gardner (who created OVA: Open Versatile Anime and has also done a ton of design work for Minion Games) is nearly done with the GSS layout. He's not nearly as melodramatic as Luke, but he does tweet about it now and then at @wiseturtle.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ewen Cluney posted:

Clay Gardner (who created OVA: Open Versatile Anime and has also done a ton of design work for Minion Games) is nearly done with the GSS layout. He's not nearly as melodramatic as Luke, but he does tweet about it now and then at @wiseturtle.

I post in jest. Seriously though, it's great to hear that GSS is so far along. I'm looking forward to checking out Tenra Bansho, but there's really nothing comparable to Golden Sky Stories in English as far as I know.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Still-- not quite yet to the Tenra Bansho Kickstarter: http://www.tenra-rpg.com/blog/?p=246

It looks like it's likely starting around this coming monday, with the entry level donation for the two-book set at $55.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Potsticker posted:

Still-- not quite yet to the Tenra Bansho Kickstarter: http://www.tenra-rpg.com/blog/?p=246

It looks like it's likely starting around this coming monday, with the entry level donation for the two-book set at $55.

That's very reasonable for a two book set, especially if there's color printing involved. He'll be getting my money.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I am also way down to throw money at those books.

Also, does anyone know how the TL for Meikyuu Kingdom is going? I got the 2 main books myself, so if there's some way I can help with the effort I would be very glad to do so. Otherwise I will just have it be a personal project.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kwyndig posted:

That's very reasonable for a two book set, especially if there's color printing involved. He'll be getting my money.

Especially since it's like 700 pages worth of material. Definitely going to pledge.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm going to slap the Tenra Kickstarter in the OP as soon as it launches. Anyone know of anything that should accompany it?

mikeycp posted:

I am also way down to throw money at those books.

Also, does anyone know how the TL for Meikyuu Kingdom is going? I got the 2 main books myself, so if there's some way I can help with the effort I would be very glad to do so. Otherwise I will just have it be a personal project.

There were at least two projects working on it, one in this thread and someone slightly more official at least considering it. Whether anything's happened I dunno, 'cause it's been all quiet on the Meikyuu front ever since.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe a note that it uses' F.E.A.R.'s SRS (Standard RPG System) which makes it compatible with a bunch of untranslated stuff as well? I don't know how important that will be to people here, though. Or if that sort of thing will even be mentioned in the Kickstarter.

EDIT: Bad info.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 7, 2012

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

So what about them Shin Megami Tensei games, huh?

All I know is that a game where Hee-Ho is an alignment is something I need to read.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Potsticker posted:

Maybe a note that it uses' F.E.A.R.'s SRS (Standard RPG System) which makes it compatible with a bunch of untranslated stuff as well? I don't know how important that will be to people here, though. Or if that sort of thing will even be mentioned in the Kickstarter.
Tenra actually dates back before FEAR started using the proto-SRS, and IIRC uses a dice pool system. They later made an SRS-powered game called Tenra War that's a mashup of Tenra and Terra the Gunslinger, though according to Andy it's not that great.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ewen Cluney posted:

Tenra actually dates back before FEAR started using the proto-SRS, and IIRC uses a dice pool system. They later made an SRS-powered game called Tenra War that's a mashup of Tenra and Terra the Gunslinger, though according to Andy it's not that great.

Oh shoot! Sorry for the bad information, then. I must have heard some info on Tenra War and got them confused.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there a Japanese equivalent to organized play such as Pathfinder Society and RPGA? I also had a look at the GSS pdf, that thing is very pretty.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

aldantefax posted:

Is there a Japanese equivalent to organized play such as Pathfinder Society and RPGA?

2chan :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aldantefax posted:

Is there a Japanese equivalent to organized play such as Pathfinder Society and RPGA?

Does the EndBreakers online play site count?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Potsticker posted:

Does the EndBreakers online play site count?

I don't know, but that's one hell of a pompadour.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Traveller posted:

So what about them Shin Megami Tensei games, huh?

All I know is that a game where Hee-Ho is an alignment is something I need to read.

What the hell how does that even work :psyduck:, would you play a knight of the court of King Frost? Would you be leading the armies of Lucifrost against the other alignments? I'm afraid of thinking about this any further and being disappointed later on when it turns out to be a joke alignment choice.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Yeah I'd actually discovered it (the SMT RPG) as well recently but I discovered that A) it's out of print and B) on amazon.jp a single copy of the core costs an insane amount (¥ 23,246) while the supplements are more normal.
I kind of figure it'll just be a transcription of all the mechanics but seeing as its written by atlus I imagine the fluff will be boss since it has a pretty solid page count.
I..I may end up paying that much, it depends on how desperate I am and how much I want it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TK-31 posted:

What the hell how does that even work :psyduck:, would you play a knight of the court of King Frost? Would you be leading the armies of Lucifrost against the other alignments? I'm afraid of thinking about this any further and being disappointed later on when it turns out to be a joke alignment choice.

I dunno about you, but I would play the poo poo out of a Knight of the Black Frost, evil warrior for love and justice.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I asked once about the SMT RPG line in this thread once. Here's TK-31's response.

TK-31 posted:

From what I've heard it is the game mechanics transcribed to paper. Think of a GameFAQs document detailing with tables the process of Demon Negotiation and you have a good idea of how it goes in a general sense.

I cannot confirm or deny this, but it goes well with what Ewen caught wind of himself.

Though from now on, in any game that allows alignment, mine will always bee "Hee-ho". Mostly because... well, gently caress alignment systems.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

PixelScum posted:

Yeah I'd actually discovered it (the SMT RPG) as well recently but I discovered that A) it's out of print and B) on amazon.jp a single copy of the core costs an insane amount (¥ 23,246) while the supplements are more normal.
I kind of figure it'll just be a transcription of all the mechanics but seeing as its written by atlus I imagine the fluff will be boss since it has a pretty solid page count.
I..I may end up paying that much, it depends on how desperate I am and how much I want it.

Yahoo Auctions Japan has it for 22,000 yen, for what it's worth. Of course, they won't ship overseas :argh:

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Traveller posted:

Yahoo Auctions Japan has it for 22,000 yen, for what it's worth. Of course, they won't ship overseas :argh:

Yeah but still, that's a huge chunk of money. That being said for the possible extra setting info alone, it'd be worth it I think. That's probably just me though.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Tenra kickstarter is up, I'm in for $108/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/tenra-bansho-zero-an-art-and-culture-rich-rpg-from

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really wish I could justify donating at the $250 level. In any case, I hope this goes well!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I caved and went in for the $250 level. I'd go higher if I could afford it.
The $2800 reward is really cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikan posted:

I caved and went in for the $250 level. I'd go higher if I could afford it.
The $2800 reward is really cool.

Our Kickstarter dollars at work. :drac:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Kicking It Forward, kid.

Between this and Meikyuu Kingdom and GSS and Ryuutama I'm gonna have so many cool Japanese rpgs to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRAKES N CAKES
Aug 10, 2012

Mikan posted:

Kicking It Forward, kid.

Between this and Meikyuu Kingdom and GSS and Ryuutama I'm gonna have so many cool Japanese rpgs to play.

When are the kickstarters for those going to start? I don't have any patience, and I want to make friends in Ryuutama already.

• Locked thread