Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

fookolt posted:

This is how I feel as well about the Bas-Lag books. Although if you really want to talk about a PSS-style ending, Iain M Banks's Consider Phelbas is pretty much the best/worst example of it.

I just finished Perdido Street Station, mostly as a result of this thread putting Mieville into my awareness.
I'd say that PSS's ending is about 4 punches in the junk out of 5, as a generalized scale of "wow, this ending really sucked for the characters involved".

Consider Phlebas is only 3/5 in my view, because at least there they saved the Mind, and really, a Mind is worth a whole sack of meat puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ceebees posted:

I just finished Perdido Street Station, mostly as a result of this thread putting Mieville into my awareness.
I'd say that PSS's ending is about 4 punches in the junk out of 5, as a generalized scale of "wow, this ending really sucked for the characters involved".

Consider Phlebas is only 3/5 in my view, because at least there they saved the Mind, and really, a Mind is worth a whole sack of meat puppets.

That's a good point! I just wish my junk didn't have to take so many punches :smith:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Railsea question:

"That Apt Ohm" feels like it must be a reference to something I'm missing. Given the eventual reveal about the godsquabble and the creditors waiting at the end of the world, I feel like there must be some reference that I'm supposed to get but I can't work it out. What does everyone else think?

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
Based on the reverent mentions of the Stonefaces (which sounds like Mount Rushmore) and the way the chieftan was dressed at the end I had assumed the original That Apt Ohm was some old salesman dressed up like Abraham Lincoln, promoting his trains in the same kitschy manner as modern car dealerships, who'd attained legendary status just through the natural distortions of inaccurately-recorded history.
That's only an impression from a first quick readthrough, though, and it does sound like a bit of a stretch after actually typing it out. The name itself doesn't really connect with my idea.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just finished The Scar. I think it might be my favorite Bas-Lag book.

A few thoughts:
-Uther Doul would be a great name for a Krautrock band.
-I like that we never really get much detail on what the Avanc looks like. Just that it's mindbogglingly huge. A gigantic, inter-dimensional sea creature that is only described very loosely is more then a bit Lovecraftian. Most of the fan-art I've seen seems to go for some sort of whale but while reading I always pictured some sort of overgrown plankton.
-Miéville does cities really well. It's both fantastical enough to be interesting and realistic enough to be believable.
-Blood seems to be a bit of a motif what with the mosquito-women,the vampir and their goretax and the scabmettlers. Also the part of the book literally called "Blood".
-Cactacæ having noses, which kept getting smashed by Doul, sort of threw me of since I had always pictured them as being pretty much exactly like this fan-art:
http://njoo.deviantart.com/art/World-of-China-Mieville-48266205
-I liked how although the Grindylow were both alien and quite sinister their motive for traveling thousands of loving miles was not some sort of totem but the notes that would lead to them being invaded and subjugated by New-Crobuzon. Just because they're sinister magical fish-people doesn't mean they aren't rational. Also the magus-fin, an artifact of awesome power, being little more then a toy to them made them a lot scarier.
-I was more expecting Bellis to come to terms with Armada at the end. Her going back to New-Crobuzon was a unexpected happy ending. I think the former would have been a bit more satisfying.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 1, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Cactacæ having noses, which kept getting smashed by Doul, sort of threw me of since I had always pictured them as being pretty much exactly like this fan-art:

I was always very fond of this person's fanart of not only the Cactae, but Khepri as well: Cactae & Khepri, More Cactae

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 1, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What's that? A new China Miéville book is coming out September this year??

Oh. It's just that essay he wrote about London expanded to about a hundred pages. :geno:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm starting to suspect that he might like London.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FreudianSlippers posted:

-I liked how although the
Grindylow were both alien and quite sinister their motive for traveling thousands of loving miles was not some sort of totem but the notes that would lead to them being invaded and subjugated by New-Crobuzon. Just because they're sinister magical fish-people doesn't mean they aren't rational. Also the magus-fin, an artifact of awesome power, being little more then a toy to them made them a lot scarier.

There is a joke there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Holy poo poo, never noticed that. Thank you, enjoyment++.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Mother. Fucker. I bet I missed all kinds of clever things throughout all his books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
magus-fin

macguffin

:aaaaa:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Captain_Indigo posted:

Mother. Fucker. I bet I missed all kinds of clever things throughout all his books.

While it isn't quite on the same level, the Garwater flagship Grand Easterly.

Well, that pretty much existed. The Great Eastern Largest ship ever built to that point. With sails, screws and paddle wheels. On the first Atlantic crossing it was so fuel inefficient that they were chopping up the furniture to throw into the boilers to get it to port.

Would not be the least surprised if this exact image, with all the ships rafted together inspired Armada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Great_Eastern

Was a major boondoggle at the time. Though in an interesting bit of redemption, it was also the only ship in the world large enough to haul the first successful transatlantic telegram cable across the ocean in a single piece. It had been attempted several times before by two ships each dragging half the cable and trying to link up in the middle without success.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 2, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Slo-Tek posted:

While it isn't quite on the same level, the Garwater flagship Grand Easterly.

Well, that pretty much existed. The Great Eastern Largest ship ever built to that point. With sails, screws and paddle wheels. On the first Atlantic crossing it was so fuel inefficient that they were chopping up the furniture to throw into the boilers to get it to port.

Would not be the least surprised if this exact image, with all the ships rafted together inspired Armada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Great_Eastern

Was a major boondoggle at the time. Though in an interesting bit of redemption, it was also the only ship in the world large enough to haul the first successful transatlantic telegram cable across the ocean in a single piece. It had been attempted several times before by two ships each dragging half the cable and trying to link up in the middle without success.

God drat. I thought I loved the Bas Lag series, but just the last few posts have shown how much further that love goes.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just finished The Scar. I think it might be my favorite Bas-Lag book.

A few thoughts:

[/spoiler]

Okay I'm just not a fan of this picture - aren't the Wyrmen (at least Teafortwo) meant to be really pudgy, and aren't handlingers meant to be lanky-looking corpses? (i always imagined them as the corpse-aliens from Dark City) The Khepri looks good, but everybody else looks like something straight out of Warcraft, some with strange dwarf proportions (what the hell is up with that scabmettler). And it's Rivebow, not Riverbow.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hard Clumping posted:

and aren't handlingers meant to be lanky-looking corpses? (i always imagined them as the corpse-aliens from Dark City)

The Handlingers are just the hands so the hosts are bound to look different

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really like this Khepri drawing : http://fav.me/d1kjmyp

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I actually really liked not knowing what the gently caress the Khepri looked like when reading the book, Mieville's descriptions of Lin had me with all this contradicting imagery in my head for the longest time, I could not figure out what the gently caress she looked like save that Isaac found her attractive, and that some part of her was a bug with little useless wings.

I just don't like the idea of Bas Lag looking cartoony or stylized in any way. I want it dirty, quirky and unforgiving, which is why I don't think it could ever be turned into a movie or anything - among other things there's no way to portray the Cactacae as seriously with visuals as they are described in the novels.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hard Clumping posted:

some with strange dwarf proportions (what the hell is up with that scabmettler). And it's Rivebow, not Riverbow.

Yeah. The Scabmettler looks strange as gently caress. If I remember correctly their skin is supposed to be gray and that dudes carvings make them look more like his tattooing himself with a knife rather then making blood armour.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The image I had of Scabmettlers making their armour was of the Scabmettler's blood spewing forth like molten lava and solidifying into very hard, chunky plates or something. But I don't mind granting the artists artistic licence to draw up whatever visions they see, whether accurate to the books or not.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Notahippie posted:

Railsea question:

"That Apt Ohm" feels like it must be a reference to something I'm missing. Given the eventual reveal about the godsquabble and the creditors waiting at the end of the world, I feel like there must be some reference that I'm supposed to get but I can't work it out. What does everyone else think?

Holy poo poo, somebody figured out that "That Apt Ohm" is an anagram of Topham Hatt, the controller from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Notahippie posted:

Holy poo poo, somebody figured out that "That Apt Ohm" is an anagram of Topham Hatt, the controller from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Oh my god :aaaaa:

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I really want to read another 800-pager from Miéville. Something to rival Perdido Street Station. Reading hundreds of pages of build-up only adds to the power of the inevitable downfall, at least in my eyes it does. With Perdido Street Station and The Scar we're given so much time in the cities that when the poo poo hits the fan it actually means something more than 'a city is reeling'; it means this city in which we have inhabited for the last 400 pages is reeling.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Beige posted:

I really want to read another 800-pager from Miv0069lle. Something to rival Perdido Street Station. Reading hundreds of pages of build-up only adds to the power of the inevitable downfall, at least in my eyes it does. With Perdido Street Station and The Scar we're given so much time in the cities that when the poo poo hits the fan it actually means something more than 'a city is reeling'; it means this city in which we have inhabited for the last 400 pages is reeling.

Totally loving agree. Although it'd probably be a case of choosing between either his one-book-per-year streak he's had since 2009, or bigger books with several years between each one. I can't choose :smith:

Anyway, look at this loving amazing cover art for the Czech edition of Embassytown:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Actually, I just want to take this moment to share my appreciation of Mieville's Czech publisher, who unlike the UK publisher (until recently), have kept a unified look for all of China's books. They even kept the same cover artist, the incomparable Edward Miller, instead of ditching him after The Scar like Macmillan did.

The covers look loving excellent and I'd like to own them all as hardcovers (only, in English, as I can't read a word of Czech... :sigh:)

I can't wait to see what Miller paints for Railsea's cover.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 15, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, those PSS and Scar covers are perfect, and I'm holding onto those paperbacks just because of them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In other news, let's talk about potential upcoming news!

October 27, 2008: I create this thread with the first news about The City & The City

September 5, 2009: First news about Kraken

May 20, 2010: First news about Embassytown (ung so early in the year :fap:)

August 19, 2011: First news about Railsea

GOSH I AM EXCITED and since the start of this month I have been checking Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Randomhouse.com and Panmacmillan.com daily for new titles :negative:

(what's known for sure is that China is contracted to release a book a year until at least 2014*, and based on the massive publishing deals some big SF/F authors have been getting lately**, this may continue further into the future)

* This doesn't include the upcoming paperback release of his London Overthrow essay, or next year's Dial H graphic novel, as neither are being published by his usual publishers.
** Best example: Alastair Reynolds received £1 million in advance from his UK publisher to publish a book per year with them until 2020.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 15, 2012

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Jesus Christ, leave some for the rest of us, publishers! You'll burn out your talent, plus leave little for newcomers.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
That artwork posted earlier is wonderful. They say not to judge a book by its cover but I found myself looking at the the covers of PSS and TS all the time while reading them and they just so happen to be the only two books I have with those gorgeous covers. Although the newer black covers with colourful spines look lovely too, the scenic ones give a graphical platform from which to begin imagining the environments in which the stories are set.

On the subject of the so-many-books-per-year publishing contracts, well, I think it's a matter of where the reader stands on the 'quantity over quality' viewpoint. I think all of us agree that more books is better from our favourite authors as long as the quality doesn't suffer. Now, I haven't yet read Kraken or Railsea so I cannot comment on the quality of these compared to earlier books. Can anybody else give a comment for me?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

wow, I don't know much about publishing contracts but assuming he doesn't get much in the way of royalties getting paid a million pounds in a lump sum for 8 years of work sounds terrible.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I have no idea how it works, but that Alastair Reynolds deal is always pointed to as A Big Thing, so it can't be that bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Paragon8 posted:

wow, I don't know much about publishing contracts but assuming he doesn't get much in the way of royalties getting paid a million pounds in a lump sum for 8 years of work sounds terrible.

Are you kidding? gently caress, give me a million pounds and I'll gladly sit around working on science fiction stories for 8 years. That's £125,000 pounds or AUD$186,000 per year, not to mention whatever interest it accrues. Compare this to my actual prospects of a science job once I finish my PhD, where I might get lucky and earn $50,000 a year and have to work my rear end off and not have much time to do creative stuff on the side.

Reynolds has it made.

And I'm sure he gets royalties too.

Beige posted:

On the subject of the so-many-books-per-year publishing contracts, well, I think it's a matter of where the reader stands on the 'quantity over quality' viewpoint. I think all of us agree that more books is better from our favourite authors as long as the quality doesn't suffer. Now, I haven't yet read Kraken or Railsea so I cannot comment on the quality of these compared to earlier books. Can anybody else give a comment for me?

Kraken is a lot of fun but a bit bloated to be honest. If you like Neil-Gaiman-style romps through magic underworlds of modern cities, then you'll enjoy it.

Railsea is pure, utter joy.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Income tax is 50% for that level of earnings so it's 500K which works out to be 62,500 a year which isn't bad, but for a top level in a field it seems a bit low. Of course he's doing something he in theory absolutely loves doing.

For a blockbuster book deal it doesn't seem too good though. Again I'm not sure how much royalties he'd be getting and if he has any alternative income sources.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Kraken is a lot of fun but a bit bloated to be honest. If you like Neil-Gaiman-style romps through magic underworlds of modern cities, then you'll enjoy it.

Railsea is pure, utter joy.

Swish! I've had to refrain from reading the Railsea and Kraken posts here to avoid any spoilers but it looks like I'll be going for those two next. I will though be up-to-date with China's books so I'll be craving more news. Fingers crossed for an epic.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If authors can do one book a year without the quality going down then that is good, and i am delighted to hear of science fiction and fantasy authors getting such good deals, since i always seem to hear that there is almost no money to be made in writing books.
But another exactly is someone like Steph Swainston (who also writes in the weird fiction category) who decided to take a break from writing a year ago because she felt that the pressure to do one book a year was making the books worse.

But Embassytown and Railsea are some of China's best work, so i would be more than happy if the quality stays the same.

While i like the Czech covers, i actually like the new covers more that have the same look

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh no doubt China's still on the good end of the quality scale, but Reynolds is criticized for being quite same-y with the RS books.

It's worth noting that Erickson got a million for his series as well, which turned out to be nothing but bloat and wank, so it still depends on the author.

Paragon8 posted:

For a blockbuster book deal it doesn't seem too good though. Again I'm not sure how much royalties he'd be getting and if he has any alternative income sources.

You can bet your rear end it is. 8 years guaranteed payment if you meet the deadlines? Yeah. Most genre books make maybe ~20-25k for the author after all is said and done, being 2-3 years of work.

If he's got a decent royalty rate (15%), and does the same sales for a popular SFFH work for each book a year, he's doing just fine. Not a millionaire, but fine. That's in addition to the contract, and I doubt he has to earn out against that (maybe). With combined sales too, digital and everything, that might add another 50k gross per year.

*Not in the business, just read a lot about publishing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cool, thanks for the info. Had no idea!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SaviourX posted:

Oh no doubt China's still on the good end of the quality scale, but Reynolds is criticized for being quite same-y with the RS books.

It's worth noting that Erickson got a million for his series as well, which turned out to be nothing but bloat and wank, so it still depends on the author.

You can bet your rear end it is. 8 years guaranteed payment if you meet the deadlines? Yeah. Most genre books make maybe ~20-25k for the author after all is said and done, being 2-3 years of work.

If he's got a decent royalty rate (15%), and does the same sales for a popular SFFH work for each book a year, he's doing just fine. Not a millionaire, but fine. That's in addition to the contract, and I doubt he has to earn out against that (maybe). With combined sales too, digital and everything, that might add another 50k gross per year.

*Not in the business, just read a lot about publishing.

Thanks for that. Never knew much about the money situation for genre writers.
It's still disappointing that top writers in the field like Mieville and Reynolds only make a middle class living.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Found a prerelease uncorrected review-only copy of Embassytown at a used bookstore for $6 :hellyeah: I am totally getting this signed on his next tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Thanks for that. Never knew much about the money situation for genre writers.
It's still disappointing that top writers in the field like Mieville and Reynolds only make a middle class living.

I'm pretty sure that once you get that famous you have a lot of other potential income streams - speaking fees and teaching classes and that kind of thing. So they're probably doing better than the raw contract for their books would suggest. It's not a great field to go into if you want to be rich, though.