Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Just brought my old pc out of the closet and got it up and running. Its a bit old; 2.0 ghz processer, radeon 9550 256mb card, 1 gig ram. I'm looking to play some flight simulators. Been having fun with original IL-2 Stouromvik, played a bit of X3 and loved the concept but hated the learning curve/utter boredom (as well as the heavy chugging in busy zones). I tried to download DCS world and get it going but it just boots up to a black screen.

So, my request boils down to a flight sim that:
1)can run on lovely hardware
2)downloadable
3)is interactive and realistically OCD as possible

Dark Star One maybe? If you can get it for cheap on Steam, it's not terrible. Freespace 2 should be free to download as well. I've been playing Wings of Prey, but I dunno if your machine could handle it. Check the reqspecs perhaps?

Bonus Wings of Prey pic, strictly for enticement purposes.

Ulio posted:

Been playing the original Crysis, I played it when it came out never finished it though. Loving the open island. Are there any games where your on a tropical island or just an island? I was thinking of the original Farcry, heard good things about that one, worth trying?

If you can run Cyrsis well, then try FarCry2. Absolutely beautiful jungle setting, open world with a wide variety of ways to complete objectives, and some of the best gun play, like, ever. Plus you can burn everything. Seriously, someone chasing you in a jeep? Hop out and hose it down with the flamethrower. People chasing you into a field? Set the field on fire and burn everyone up.

Far Cry is still a pretty sweet game, but halfway through it gets a bit tedious. Don't let that stop you from playing though, it's still a great FPS.

Otherwise, 2 million times over, Just Cause 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

upperthorax posted:

If you can run Cyrsis well, then try FarCry2. Absolutely beautiful jungle setting, open world with a wide variety of ways to complete objectives, and some of the best gun play, like, ever. Plus you can burn everything. Seriously, someone chasing you in a jeep? Hop out and hose it down with the flamethrower. People chasing you into a field? Set the field on fire and burn everyone up.

Far Cry is still a pretty sweet game, but halfway through it gets a bit tedious. Don't let that stop you from playing though, it's still a great FPS.

Otherwise, 2 million times over, Just Cause 2.

To offer a counter opinion, Far Cry 2 is pretty terrible, filled with bullet sponge enemies and a world that is so obviously closed sets of paths that the sense of freedom doesn't really match what was felt in the original Far Cry or Crysis, despite it actually being more free.

Just go for Just Cause 2.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Just Cause 2, no question about it. This is how amazing its islandiness is.
It's really almost tragic how overly ambitious Trespasser was, for its time.

The point has already been hammered in, but the video you linked needs more grappling.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ulio posted:

Been playing the original Crysis, I played it when it came out never finished it though. Loving the open island. Are there any games where your on a tropical island or just an island? I was thinking of the original Farcry, heard good things about that one, worth trying?

Far Cry 2 is severely underrated as a first person shooter. I have yet to play anything as thrilling and immersive. The key is to play it on Insane difficulty.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I did play Far Cry 2 a lot, never got to finish it since I spent most of the time running around. I hated that the command posts would always respawn with enemies, it made traveling so tedious. Also the missions were always in the furthest corners of the map and if you died during travel you'd have to drive all the way again. I know traveling is half the fun of it but sometimes redoing the entire voyage was too frustrating, I do remember Bus stops being used as fast travel but they were very few of those. I might give it another chance.

Farcry and Just Cause 2 are good recommendations, gonna have to check them out.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This has been said before but I found it helpful to remember that I was playing a first person shooter. If the goal is blowing through the storyline as fast as you can, then yes, Far Cry 2's respawning checkpoints are incredibly annoying and tedious. But if your only goal is to make it to the end, you're not necessarily "playing" the game. I loved Far Cry 2 for the spontaneous, exciting, and very memorable firefights it provided. If I had 20 or so minutes to kill, sometimes the only thing I would do is travel from one safe house to another, a distance of maybe one map screen, and then quit the game.

Edit: Eurogamer had a great retrospective on the game.

quote:

The fact that guns can jam, that fires can start, that grenades can roll innocuously down slopes and staircases before shredding the surrounding area created a game world where these battlefield stories can occur. And at the same time, it establishes a set of rules that ensures there’s drama – eventually. The player will die, at some point, and so you’ll have that last minute rescue. You’re going to get into a critical state and have to perform some battlefield surgery, pulling bullets out of your arm or some rebar out of your leg. Things go wrong, and stories emerge.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 11, 2012

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Bought a Crysis pak from Steam (Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2), and it was a big mistake.

Turns out the Crytek engine for those games has an issue with HDMI signals (google it). And from what I read Crytek's developers didn't care about the issue.

On my PC the game disabled the HDMI sound output to my projector.

No, there are no problems with my ATI drivers, since the latest STALKER games and Space Marine run fine via HDMI to my projector and have no sound problems.

If you do PC gaming on an HDMI device, avoid Cry-Tek games for now.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Puma-rang posted:

One of my most favorite games was Castelvania: Curse of Darkness for the original Xbox. It was a 3D metroidvania with a ton of weapons to find/craft as well as some Pokemon-lite monster raising, I loved the brawler aspects of the combat and exploration the most. I don't have a Playstation, but I think Dark Cloud 2 would be perfect for me. Does anyone know of similar games for the 360 or DS?

Here's a gameplay video if it helps anyone come up with something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Se0tX2nxxA

The DS Castlevania games are all really quite good if you haven't looked into them yet, but as far as 3D style games go, I don't know of any.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Sears Poncho posted:

I don't usually go for sports games, but I had a lot of fun playing Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii a few years back. Is there anything else like that, preferably for the PC (doesn't have to be soccer) where you get a more strategic control over you whole team rather than the traditional sports game where you control a single guy at a time?

why not go whole hog and get into Football Manager?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Puma-rang posted:

One of my most favorite games was Castelvania: Curse of Darkness for the original Xbox. It was a 3D metroidvania with a ton of weapons to find/craft as well as some Pokemon-lite monster raising, I loved the brawler aspects of the combat and exploration the most. I don't have a Playstation, but I think Dark Cloud 2 would be perfect for me. Does anyone know of similar games for the 360 or DS?

Here's a gameplay video if it helps anyone come up with something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Se0tX2nxxA

I know I just brought it up last page, but you would probably love Dark Souls. It lacks the monster raising aspect, but the game is structured like a 3D Metroidvania, the exploration and combat are incredibly satisfying, and there's a ton of equipment to find and craft.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I got The Sims Medieval for free and it's just okay... not really what I was looking for.

What I want is a medieval RPG without any magic, (not Mount & Blade)... I want something that covers just about every aspect of medieval life.

I think that The Guild is exactly what I'm looking for but I also heard that it's insanely buggy and crash happy so I don't know if the sequels or expansions fix anything or if there's user patches.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I LOVED Pharoah that was released back around 2000 or so by Sierra, so I'm looking for a modern game that's similar. There were things I liked about the game, specifically having to appease the gods or else they'd wreck your poo poo and being required to beautify your city to make buildings develop. Also in order to advance further into Egyptian history different criteria had to be completed so I actually got to restart my city on different maps, which became a fun challenge. Here's the wiki on the game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_%28video_game%29

I was looking at Anno 2070 or Tropico, but not sure if they'd be what I'm after. I like SimCity, but the aspect of going through time and having to change strategies every map is what is most appealing to me.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I LOVED Pharoah that was released back around 2000 or so by Sierra, so I'm looking for a modern game that's similar. There were things I liked about the game, specifically having to appease the gods or else they'd wreck your poo poo and being required to beautify your city to make buildings develop. Also in order to advance further into Egyptian history different criteria had to be completed so I actually got to restart my city on different maps, which became a fun challenge. Here's the wiki on the game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_%28video_game%29

I was looking at Anno 2070 or Tropico, but not sure if they'd be what I'm after. I like SimCity, but the aspect of going through time and having to change strategies every map is what is most appealing to me.

Either would fit your preferences. However, Pharoah along with all the other Impressions city building are really more puzzles than strategy, largely because of how the walkers in the game worked. If you enjoyed playing Tetris with your buildings, you'll LOVE the Anno series. I'd recommend you start with Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404), it's one of the best polished game out there for any system, and dangerously addicting.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

cheese eats mouse posted:

It's somewhat old by this point, but CivCity: Rome has some of the elements you mentioned. Other than that, one of the older Settlers games might be good. There's not really a lot of modern games in the genre though, which is disappointing.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Going to second 1404 (Dawn of Discovery). Play it first, then get 2070 during the Steam Xmas sale.

1404 is one of the best city builder/RTS games out there. It's absolutely gorgeous, and addictive. Too bad Steam hasn't had keys for an age though. They do, however, carry 2070.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I'm having a bit of a dull week and am searching for a game to kill the time with, but nothing seems to really click. I generally like games that let you work towards / collect something, be it exp, weapons, pokemon or whatever. Pretty much any genre goes from shooters that let you collect better weapons (á la Borderlands) to RPGs that let you customize and improve your character(s) (although I've played most of the obvious ones like Baldur's Gate and such).

Looking for ones for either the PC or Wii, specifically - I haven't gotten into the latter much besides Xenoblade, so there might be some gems to be found there. Any tips?

EDIT: Besides Animal Crossing. I'd like to collect / work towards stuff that does something or can be used in some way, not just decorations.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2012

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Have you tried Terraria? It's sort of randomly generated sidescroller with collectable materials you use to craft and upgrade better equipment, which you use to tackle harder areas and bosses, and you can build in the world as well. It's dirt cheap on steam. It's been called 2d minecraft, but that's not really accurate, it's got a much stronger goal and progression to it.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Dropbear posted:

I'm having a bit of a dull week and am searching for a game to kill the time with, but nothing seems to really click. I generally like games that let you work towards / collect something, be it exp, weapons, pokemon or whatever. Pretty much any genre goes from shooters that let you collect better weapons (á la Borderlands) to RPGs that let you customize and improve your character(s) (although I've played most of the obvious ones like Baldur's Gate and such).

Looking for ones for either the PC or Wii, specifically - I haven't gotten into the latter much besides Xenoblade, so there might be some gems to be found there. Any tips?

EYE Divine Cybermancy is pretty awesome. It'll take some getting used to, and some grinding, but the game's a load of fun, and there're tons of different ways to handle different situations. It's often compared to Deus Ex, and I'd definitely be willing to call it weirdo-foreign Deus Ex.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Mzbundifund posted:

Have you tried Terraria? It's sort of randomly generated sidescroller with collectable materials you use to craft and upgrade better equipment, which you use to tackle harder areas and bosses, and you can build in the world as well.

Oh, Terraria definitely would fit the bill, but I've played it so much that it's gotten a bit dull.

Scambl posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy is pretty awesome. It'll take some getting used to, and some grinding, but the game's a load of fun, and there're tons of different ways to handle different situations. It's often compared to Deus Ex, and I'd definitely be willing to call it weirdo-foreign Deus Ex.

I actually bought EVE from a Steam sale some time back, but it was just too.. clunky and weird for me, basically. The endlessly respawning enemies weren't really my thing, either.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
After coming from Diablo 3, my 2 friends and I are looking for an MMO or otherwise similarly persistent co-op online experience to jump into.

Guild Wars 2 would have been super-perfect, except one of us is a die-hard Mac purist and there's no Mac version of it, nor for the other MMOs I checked out (EQ1/2, Vanguard, Rift). Any recommendations? (not WoW, we already came from that years ago)

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

gradenko_2000 posted:

After coming from Diablo 3, my 2 friends and I are looking for an MMO or otherwise similarly persistent co-op online experience to jump into.

Guild Wars 2 would have been super-perfect, except one of us is a die-hard Mac purist and there's no Mac version of it, nor for the other MMOs I checked out (EQ1/2, Vanguard, Rift). Any recommendations? (not WoW, we already came from that years ago)

You can definitely play EQ2 on a Mac. I don't have one so I don't know how well, but I know a few people who do. I recommend EQ2 heavily. Something about the world just feels "richer", and you can seriously do ALL content with just 3 people except some raids and other super high level things.

If you want something similar to Diablo 3, try out Titan Quest. I've had a lot of fun at LANs with that. It's probably the best Diablo-style game that game between Diablo 2 and 3.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dropbear posted:

EDIT: Besides Animal Crossing. I'd like to collect / work towards stuff that does something or can be used in some way, not just decorations.
Have you tried Sacred 2?
It's basically a Diablo-like hack-slash-looter, with an absolutely loving gigantic open world. You can follow the main questline, or just mess around killing poo poo and doing any of the myriad available sidequests. They're not interesting at all, just good excuses to head whichever way to kill more stuff.

The itemization in general isn't awfully exciting and the loot tends to feel a bit samey, but there's a loving ton of it and the combat is quite fun. Also, the characters are a bit different from your standard fare, and there's loads of room for different builds to dick around with.

The game's also incredibly cheesy and silly, to the point of being borderline parody. It's certainly no Borderlands in terms of funniness, but I still like the tongue-in-cheek atmosphere. A lot of enemies spout moronic one-liners and the written dialogue is rife with gags.
Also, you get to help out the fantasy version of the German metal band Blind Guardian in a short series of quests, and as a reward you'll get to see their gig/music video, plus their instruments you can use as weapons. The guitars (axes, obviously) actually make electric guitar sounds when you whack enemies with them. :haw:

So in summary, the game isn't a masterpiece or anything, but very solid light entertainment if you like ARPGs. Just be sure to skip the first difficulty level, Bronze, because it offers no goddamn challenge whatsoever. Silver isn't exactly hard either, but at least the enemies will do some damage.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
This might sound faintly absurd or spergy, but I'm kind of interested in games in which you can construct and use a nuclear reactor. Not so much in the SimCity sense where it's just another building you plop down as some kind of Grand Overseer, but more where you're directly involved in the construction (which would normally imply a game where you control a single person) and running of it.

Previous games I've played that have invoked this to one extent or another have been the industrialcraft mod of Minecraft, where you can very laboriously build a nuclear reactor (but then honestly not do that much of interest with the power that results), and Cataclysm, where you can find and install a minireactor as a power source for electric vehicles.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strudel Man posted:

This might sound faintly absurd or spergy, but I'm kind of interested in games in which you can construct and use a nuclear reactor. Not so much in the SimCity sense where it's just another building you plop down as some kind of Grand Overseer, but more where you're directly involved in the construction (which would normally imply a game where you control a single person) and running of it.

Previous games I've played that have invoked this to one extent or another have been the industrialcraft mod of Minecraft, where you can very laboriously build a nuclear reactor (but then honestly not do that much of interest with the power that results), and Cataclysm, where you can find and install a minireactor as a power source for electric vehicles.
I don't know if it's actually what you're after since it's quite old but Scram for the Atari 800 is a nuclear reactor sim. It was designed by the once-famous Chris Crawford.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hah. That is old. But no, I probably should have specified better - I don't care that much about realistic or in-depth reactor simulation, though a little bit of that can be nice. The thing I have in mind is more building one to use it in the rest of the game, rather than building/running one for its own sake.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm looking for an open-world, do-what-you-will singleplayer RPG or similar game; ideally I should be able to buy houses/carts/aircraft/whatever, craft things, do crazy poo poo like barding and riddles, chop trees, cook, acquire lots and lots of different loot, and have the feeling of an actually living, interesting world even if I don't do the Main Quest (pretty much the contrary of any Elder Scrolls game).

I am not opposed to old games, but they should at the very least have a decent UI and some kind of graphics, I don't really dig ASCII games.

Games like this I already played:

Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima 7
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim
Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV
UnReal World

I don't really remember any other game fitting the bill. Please provide me with an Ultima 7 / Darklands / BaK hybrid and I will love you forever! Pleeeease

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 17, 2012

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I'm looking for an open-world, do-what-you-will singleplayer RPG or similar game; ideally I should be able to buy houses/carts/aircraft/whatever, craft things, do crazy poo poo like barding and riddles, chop trees, cook, acquire lots and lots of different loot, and have the feeling of an actually living, interesting world even if I don't do the Main Quest (pretty much the contrary of any Elder Scrolls game).

I am not opposed to old games, but they should at the very least have a decent UI and some kind of graphics, I don't really dig ASCII games.

Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima 7
Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV
UnReal World

I don't really remember any other game fitting the bill. Please provide me with an Ultima 7 / Darklands / BaK hybrid and I will love you forever! Pleeeease

Planescape Torment is an amazing game, and I think you could enjoy that if you enjoyed Fallout 2. The story's really amazing, and the side quests are awesome. It's almost difficult to figure out what the main quest even is sometimes because the quests mold together so well. Also, you can straight up talk the final boss out of fighting you.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima 7
Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV
UnReal World

I would suggest Guild Wars 2. Although it is an MMO, you can still play it like a single player game if you wish and there is no sub fee.

If you really want a pure singleplayer game open-world RPG then try Kingdom of Amular. Dragon Age is also fantastic but a bit less open.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, definitely check of Kingdoms of Amalur.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the suggestion! Will check Kingdom of Amalur out as soon as possible.

I already played Planescape: Torment and Dragon Age, they're great games but there wasn't much freedom of doing silly things / buying property / living your own life, and that's what I'm looking for now; I remember pretty much having to follow the quests, which were very interesting, but with just combat and dialogue.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 17, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gothic 2 is an open ended rpg with a focus on exploration and professions like blacksmithing, alchemy and skinning. The Gold Edition comes with the (awesome) expansion Night of the Raven and is 10$ on GoG. I have to warn you that mouse support was added as an afterthought and the controls are... not great. It's definitely worth it so long as you have a little patience and enjoy stuff like Morrowind and Betrayal at Krondor.

I haven't gotten around to them yet, but Gothic 3 and Risen are supposed to be pretty good too.

TorakFade posted:

Oh poo poo, you just summed up Terraria in one epic run-on sentence. Try Terraria!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 17, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Quote!=Edit

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Will check Kingdom of Amalur out as soon as possible.

I already played Planescape: Torment and Dragon Age, they're great games but there wasn't much freedom of doing silly things / buying property / living your own life, and that's what I'm looking for now; I remember pretty much having to follow the quests, which were very interesting, but with just combat and dialogue.

There isn't really much freedom in Kingdoms of Amalur, either. There isn't anything to do or see other than quests, which are basically all combat, and the whole world feels extremely artificial. If you don't think Skyrim has any of the stuff you want, Amalur has even less of it. It's entirely a grind. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's almost the antithesis of what you're asking for here.

You should probably check out Guild Wars 2. It's the first thing that comes to mind, though it is also very combat oriented.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hakkesshu posted:

There isn't really much freedom in Kingdoms of Amalur, either. There isn't anything to do or see other than quests, which are basically all combat, and the whole world feels extremely artificial. If you don't think Skyrim has any of the stuff you want, Amalur has even less of it. It's entirely a grind. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's almost the antithesis of what you're asking for here.

You should probably check out Guild Wars 2. It's the first thing that comes to mind, though it is also very combat oriented.

Skyrim has pretty much all I'm looking for (except the "living, interesting world" bit), but after 130+ hours on it, and with the extremely long load times everytime you dare to open a door, I feel pretty bored and want something new!

I will look into GW2 but my internet connection is spotty, an offline game would suit me better I think...

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Skyrim has pretty much all I'm looking for (except the "living, interesting world" bit), but after 130+ hours on it, and with the extremely long load times everytime you dare to open a door, I feel pretty bored and want something new!

I will look into GW2 but my internet connection is spotty, an offline game would suit me better I think...

How "open" do you want the world to be? You can try out Witcher 2. The game starts off a bit linear (basically the tutorial section) until you get to the forest. Then each act has a large open area that you can explore as you like. I like their system quite a bit because it makes the quests feel far more interesting and you don't really lose track of your goals and aren't over-run with information.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to go a bit off the beaten path here and suggest Elona. Technically it is a rogue-like, but IMO it doesn't really feel like one and has decent graphics too ...though they're cutesy and anime-ish, hope that's not a dealbreaker.

I guess there's a plot and dungeons and stuff but I spend most of my time taking jobs off the notice-board and breeding monsters and decorating my house. v:shobon:v

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zoe posted:

I'm going to go a bit off the beaten path here and suggest Elona. Technically it is a rogue-like, but IMO it doesn't really feel like one and has decent graphics too ...though they're cutesy and anime-ish, hope that's not a dealbreaker.

I guess there's a plot and dungeons and stuff but I spend most of my time taking jobs off the notice-board and breeding monsters and decorating my house. v:shobon:v

All you gotta know about Elona is that Shena's rear end is the best :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a space based RPG/strategy game. A game that really makes you feel like you're a captain of a ship rather than just a pilot.

I want to tinker with ship systems and create/recruit a crew. I want firefights that can end up with me losing a few named men.

I guess I'm basically looking for Silent Hunter in space or something like it.

EDIT: \/ I actually have played STO. I've just become bored of it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2012

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm looking for a space based RPG/strategy game. A game that really makes you feel like you're a captain of a ship rather than just a pilot.

I want to tinker with ship systems and create/recruit a crew. I want firefights that can end up with me losing a few named men.

I guess I'm basically looking for Silent Hunter in space or something like it.

You pretty much described Star Trek Online. It's F2P, and not pay to win. The reason I suggest it is that there is a huge ship/crew factor. Ground missions and ground combat are OK, but they really did the ship combat right.

Your crew consists of bridge officers, and duty officers. They factor into your ship, and ground capabilities and there is a lot to play with in that regard. You outfit your bridge officers, and you send your duty officers on time based missions. The PVE events are really fun, and again, the space combat is pretty great.

I played it to level cap (50) and haven't picked it up again. I'm glad I played it, especially for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
Recently employed, and always wanted to get into PC gaming, but definitely not in the financial position to get a new computer. Instead sitting on a laptop from 2006, that... was on sale then. Basically shits itself if I try to play the original Halo with too-high settings. Lately I've been playing the hell out of ME3 multiplayer on the PS3, and am having trouble getting interested in single player games again.

So what I'm looking for is some kinda multiplayer PC game that is extremely undemanding, or at least has really good graphics sliders. In terms of gameplay, I want something almost action-RPGish. I can't stand pure MMO gameplay (and don't want to go into the subscription thing), where you're basically just comparing your numbers to someone else's numbers, but I also won't stand a chance in a real action game like Counter Strike or something. Competitive or Co-Op isn't important, and I'm not too bent on any one genre as long as it's somewhat actiony. Active community is a big plus. About to go on a downloading spree of all the Steam Free to Play games, which seem within my tastes, but I'm willing to drop a solid $60 into something if there's a demo so I can make sure it at least runs.