Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Speed Buggy was in the Mystery Solvers Club episode along with Funky Phantom, Captain Caveman and Jabberjaw although that episode was a fever dream (which doesn't really STOP them from actually existing granted). This episode was actually canon, I guess, because there was no "just a dream/just a piece of fanfiction/whatever" ending.

Also that episode was awesome. Blue Falcon as a parody of Dark Knight Returns/grimdark style superheroes while Dynomutt is straight up old school Hanna-Barbera goofiness was really good. This show is so great.

Also tomorrow's episode is the last new one for a while then it goes into reruns for the next three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I thought you were joking about the Jonny Quest / Dynomutt crossover. I guess I should know better at this point. They're just going to tie the whole lovely 1960s Hanna-Barbera canon together in this series, aren't they? I'm expecting Speed Buggy and the Harlem Globetrotters at this point.

Hoping for Space Ghost, will settle for Birdman.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

I thought you were joking about the Jonny Quest / Dynomutt crossover. I guess I should know better at this point. They're just going to tie the whole lovely 1960s Hanna-Barbera canon together in this series, aren't they? I'm expecting Speed Buggy and the Harlem Globetrotters at this point.

Not so much the Globetrotters, but Speed Buggy did appear in that dream episode Argue was referring to.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Suben posted:

Also that episode was awesome. Blue Falcon as a parody of Dark Knight Returns/grimdark style superheroes while Dynomutt is straight up old school Hanna-Barbera goofiness was really good. This show is so great.

So the opposite of that one Dexter's Lab episode?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I know I shouldn't be so impressed when Mystery Inc. drops a reference like "You're living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER," but that was masterfully delivered by Grey DeLisle: totally captures the sad nature of Fred's situation regardless of if it flies over your head or not, while Fred's lunk-headed optimism in this low-point carries the laughs if you don't get it.

I'd say it's a shame the Tumblr crowd isn't all over this, but when you think about it, it's really more like a miracle.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Suben posted:

Hold on, what's this? I don't know what this is you're referring to.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Argue posted:

Hold on, what's this? I don't know what this is you're referring to.

Today's episode of Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So the newest episode of Mystery Inc....

So every previous group, or a good number of them anyway, found a piece of the Planespheric Disk which always corrupted the animal of the group into betraying everyone with the disk's evil. The ghost of Friar Sera says that Scooby is going to betray the group but, well, Nova's part of the group now too...

God I love this show.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I knew that Quest and Dynomutt eps were coming but I wasn't prepared to see them in the same ep. I really enjoy how they're retconning all the Hanna Barbara properties together.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Power Rangers chat:

The next series coming to America is Goseiger. Whatever. Who cares.

However, it's doing a 2+ season run where in it's second season they're going to blend in Gokaiger. As in, we're not getting a full adaptation of Gokaiger. That's some bullshit. Power Rangers: Megaforce. gently caress you. I want Captain Marvelous in all of his glory, dammit!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

raditts posted:

Speed Buggy's already shown up. The Globetrotters, as always, are inevitable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I remember watching an episode from the first season were Shaggy and Scooby watched a movie with Vincent Van Ghoul from the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo were he fought monsters with a chainsaw.

I wonder if they'll ever bring in Scrappy Doo for a cameo. They might be able to make him bearable.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if they'll ever bring in Scrappy Doo for a cameo. They might be able to make him bearable.

Scrappy and Flim-Flam (from "13 Ghosts") showed up in a first season episode as statues in the museum Velma's parents run.

Mystery Incorporated is the best version of Scooby-Doo! Warner Bros. has done in a long time. I'm really grateful it was never picked up on by bronies or similar groups. Even if that means we only get these two seasons. :sigh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

is Mystery Inc. watchable online or on netflix or anything? I'd love to watch these crazy crossover episodes.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Sockser posted:

is Mystery Inc. watchable online or on netflix or anything? I'd love to watch these crazy crossover episodes.

Depends on how much you trust websites like watchcartoononline.com

I really wish it was on netflix. That'd be swell.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhonne posted:

I remember watching an episode from the first season were Shaggy and Scooby watched a movie with Vincent Van Ghoul from the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo were he fought monsters with a chainsaw.

It makes me sad that Vincent Price is dead (though to be fair by 2012 he would ancient) but Maurice does a good job.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Rhonne posted:

No. They must never speak of him.

Not ever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SilentChaz posted:

Mystery Incorporated is the best version of Scooby-Doo! Warner Bros. has done in a long time. I'm really grateful it was never picked up on by bronies or similar groups. Even if that means we only get these two seasons. :sigh:

Looking back there probably actually was a good chance that it would have gotten brony-like fans if CN hadn't put the show on hiatus halfway through the first season. Back then Scooby threads were daily on /co/, just like MLP stuff (shows premiered at about the same time,) but they didn't really care too much by the time the second half came out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's always great when a franchise that has been passed around the curb more times than you can count gets put in the hands of someone talented who really wants to do the best that they can with it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's always great when a franchise that has been passed around the curb more times than you can count gets put in the hands of someone talented who really wants to do the best that they can with it.

It's even better when that someone can finish out his run on at least some of his own terms. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence on Wikipedia to suggest that this storyline was always planned as a 52 episode run.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

DivisionPost posted:

It's even better when that someone can finish out his run on at least some of his own terms. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence on Wikipedia to suggest that this storyline was always planned as a 52 episode run.

Really? That would be awesome if that were the case. I'd be a little disappointed because Scooby-Doo Mystery, Inc. is a great show, but if it's ending on the creators' terms, then I can't argue with that.

I also learned to avoid the entry for the series on Wikipedia during the first season as I ended up spoiling myself for upcoming episodes when I was looking something up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd forgotten just how cool Hey Arnold is. It's way subdued compared to... pretty much any animated show on TV right now, and the supporting cast is so well rounded out, like an almost Springfieldian level of world building. The score is really good too. Cool and jazzy.

Also, in the first few episodes, the kids eat both felafel and souvlaki, a true sign of a big city.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The 1st episode of Ninth grade ninja is free to download on iTunes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'd forgotten just how cool Hey Arnold is. It's way subdued compared to... pretty much any animated show on TV right now, and the supporting cast is so well rounded out, like an almost Springfieldian level of world building. The score is really good too. Cool and jazzy.

Also, in the first few episodes, the kids eat both felafel and souvlaki, a true sign of a big city.

I liked the movie a lot too, though I can understand why it didn't do well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yoshifan823 posted:

Did they ever release a soundtrack for Hey Arnold? iTunes is coming up with nothing and I'm not seeing much on youtube.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Guess you didn't look very hard

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL153D4017FFB621AA

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Mystery Inc. isn't getting a 3rd Season?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hatter106 posted:

Mystery Inc. isn't getting a 3rd Season?

They're running a episode every weekday afternoon (though it's on hiatus now) and the crew has dispersed, with EP Mitch Watson last seen lending a hand on Gravity Falls (I think). (EDIT: Whoops! Got him confused with Mitch LARSON.) No, it's not getting a third season.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 23, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So far Mysteries Inc. was worth it just for their characterization of Harlan Ellison: "In conclusion, nothing good has been written since the 70s. Questions?"

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said it before earlier in the thread, but I see Hey Arnold as the apex of the slice-of-life cartoons like Doug and Pepper Ann that got big in the 90s. Setting it in the actual inner city with such a diverse cast of characters helped it escape the suburban boredom of Doug and it had just the right touch of surrealism to shake things up without resorting to throw-away fantasy sequences.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
How do we feel about Wakfu? So far, I've absolutely loved this show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

zanmatto posted:

How do we feel about Wakfu? So far, I've absolutely loved this show.

I've watched it. It gets VERY silly at times, and season 2 kind of dragged though I've heard some of it was mandated by the MMORPG company, but the specials and finales are very, very strong.

and I have to say that I liked it better than Korra season 1.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I've watched it. It gets VERY silly at times, and season 2 kind of dragged though I've heard some of it was mandated by the MMORPG company, but the specials and finales are very, very strong.

and I have to say that I liked it better than Korra season 1.

I still feel that Nox is one of the most sympathetic villains I've seen in a show. And what's great is if he succeeds nothing he have done matters.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So I was blitzing through Wikipedia and apparently American Dragon is getting a new season sometime in 2013(?) I have to raise an eyebrow over that because the show's been canceled for 5 years. Neat, if it's true though, I guess.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

So I was blitzing through Wikipedia and apparently American Dragon is getting a new season sometime in 2013(?) I have to raise an eyebrow over that because the show's been canceled for 5 years. Neat, if it's true though, I guess.

I hope they get new writers, because I really enjoyed the premise and overarching plot, but hated much of the dialogue.

I do love me some dragons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that seems really out of nowhere. I didn't even think it was that popular when it was on.

But whatever, these:

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I hope they get new writers, because I really enjoyed the premise and overarching plot, but hated much of the dialogue.

I do love me some dragons.

...are pretty much my exact feelings on the subject. Oh, and the art style shifted at some point to being drastically uglier, and that was a shame, so I hope they change that up again.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
American Dragon and Juniper Lee were both unintentionally amusing in that two separate networks decided at the exact same time to make shows with Asian protagonists but both were too :effort: to think of anything other than kung-fu and dragons. All we needed was Nickelodeon making a cartoon about an Asian hacker and we'd have the complete lazy stereotype trifecta.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

TwoPair posted:

...are pretty much my exact feelings on the subject. Oh, and the art style shifted at some point to being drastically uglier, and that was a shame, so I hope they change that up again.
Yeah, I totally stopped watching after they changed the art style. Why would you DO THAT to a show, why change the art style completely when it's halfway through?! Pissed me off so much and I just totally turned off from it.

Shame too because I was really enjoying the whole "New York's Magical Immigrants" schtick I actually loved seeing in shows like Gargoyles before.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

TwoPair posted:

In theory, changing up the art style was a very creative idea.

In practice, the change was largely for the worse, especially when it came to the dragons, who all looked like they'd been re-designed by the art team from motherfucking SharkTale.

And Jake Long-as-dragon always looked crummy to me. He went from having an ugly canine face to an ugly Jay Leno face.

They do, however, deserve points for making the Australian Dragon look like a weedy sea dragon. That was inspired. More of that kind of thing would've been mucho welcome.

Oh, and Juniper Lee's writing was better by a nautical mile.

Jake Long's writing was too cutesy by half, and suffered as a result of all that yo-yo-homies-fo-shizzle bullshit that Disney apparently thinks all city kids do.

Dragons are Serious Business.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012
I dunno if anyone else knows about this or I'm ridiculously late, but Rocky and Bullwinkle is on Netflix and I can't stop watching it. I love this show, it really holds up despite being made in the late 50s and early 60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle on VHS back in the 90s. Last I checked it was also on Hulu for free.

I feel that there are a bunch of references lying here and there that don't make any sense these days and I never got.