Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TildeATH posted:

I think all of Gooncompany should be ashamed of themselves, though not for their gameplay, but rather for their horrid dice-rolling. Learn to roll dice well, you schmucks.

Hey, I rolled great! Even managed to get a head hit on the Warhammer on the same turn it got a slightly better head hit on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

TildeATH posted:

I think all of Gooncompany should be ashamed of themselves, though not for their gameplay, but rather for their horrid dice-rolling. Learn to roll dice well, you schmucks.

Hey, we're not the ones rolling the dice! :rolldice:

Persuade check:
Needs 3, rolls 2
Well, poo poo...

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Hey, I rolled great! Even managed to get a head hit on the Warhammer on the same turn it got a slightly better head hit on me.

Clearly you guys need to invent the Armored Cowl. Not the StratOps one, the original MechForce UK one, which was 1 ton, 1 crit, +9 armor points to the head or something.

Headcap THIS motherfuckers.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I just feel bad he got blasted in the back like I thought he might. I feel like I ended up jinxing him. :(
Eh, could've been worse. To be honest, given that how in most game I tend to be aggressive, I'm surprised that I lasted that long. Also due to die rolling, but mainly due to how I was playing.
At least it wasn't sudden like it was with AJ_Impy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

landcollector posted:

Hey, we're not the ones rolling the dice! :rolldice:

Persuade check:
Needs 3, rolls 2
Well, poo poo...

You see? That's just horrible. I hope your parents aren't reading this thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the original rules for the Solaris round are the best example. Before PTN added objectives for different things all we had was a six-way "last man standing" and the smart way to do that is to stay it of the fighting and show up when everyone else is weak. When the rules changed Solaris got 1000x better.
That's just one of the pitfalls of scenario design. You have to motivate players to achieve their objectives proactively, and it can be hard to spot how they'll turtle until you try run it.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Hmm my experience on megamek and in live games has been that empty ammo slots still eat up a crit it just cannot explode due to the explosion being a 0...

I wonder if that is just an expanded rule then. (I was also taught each crit slot has to go before it can transfer so for an ac-20 the torso would need 10 entire crits to start transferring.)

Or... my copy of the core rules is old, since it says both upon me looking it up.

I might be wrong, but I also don't think crits transfer unless there wasn't anything there to start with. I know I've seen "No more crittable slots." before.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Felime posted:

I might be wrong, but I also don't think crits transfer unless there wasn't anything there to start with. I know I've seen "No more crittable slots." before.

Crits transfer except for a specific situation which is slightly technical and is what megamek is referring to.

Typically if you're at the point of transferring crits a mech is not long for this world (with low tonnage lvl1 as a possible exception) so you might have missed it when it did happen.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 17, 2012

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I think the original rules for the Solaris round are the best example. Before PTN added objectives for different things all we had was a six-way "last man standing" and the smart way to do that is to stay it of the fighting and show up when everyone else is weak. When the rules changed Solaris got 1000x better.

Yeah, especially to the extent that it wasn't simply about winning the round but about not being the first to get a mech blasted out from under you.

Once PTN added objectives which included achievements for doing amazing, entertaining but dangerous and downright foolish things, the match was far more fun.

I'm not saying everyone should run out and DFA at the first opportunity, but I'd like to see a few more heroic or memorable deaths celebrated in the thread. Even an unlucky head-shot could immortalize you.

(Anyone up for doing a cartoon of the headshot Flashman with technicians looking up at it and saying something like "This never happened with the incandescent models...")

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We're nearly through this scenario so I feel like I can speak to some of this.

I don't like being told "do this". I especially don't like highly explicit instructions for the entire company's actions: if you do what that person said to do, it feels like you're not actually playing the game at all - anyone can copy and paste. On the other hand, if you don't do what some experienced person told you to do, you feel like maybe you're doing something suboptimal, letting everyone down, maybe loving over the next group, and you're going to catch hell in the thread for your idiotic play.

On the other hand, advice is super-useful. We are all using our google doc to run our orders past each other, and we've all had someone highlight a bit of order and comment on how it might or might not be a good idea (or work at all). And when any of us post in the thread we're often explicitly looking for advice or comments on what we're planning to do.

So there's a delicate balance in the middle somewhere, between just shutting up and letting us make a bunch of mistakes, and just telling each of us exactly what to do.

I'll also say that having a scenario finish in probably just six turns is a little anticlimactic. After waiting like a year or more for my turn, I really wish I got to do more than run a little Po around and mostly miss things. I think by the end I'll have gotten maybe five hits? And no kills. Mind you, it's a hell of a lot better than not getting to participate at all! But still, I'm used to having more of an impact (like in Bronzestabbed, or in a PbP over in Trad Games).

...and that's why I'm ignoring Krab and going after the Mars up north this turn. I have better shots on him, and it's a more dangerous target, and I will feel a lot more like I'm contributing something of value, as opposed to chasing down a crippled light vehicle with one functioning small laser as its armament. I'll also be ignoring Krab and doing so for reasons I figured out by myself, which is far more satisfactory than just doing what he told me to do. Maybe I'll get my Po blowed up, but that's OK too, I mean it's only a drat game and I'd rather do what's fun and entertaining than what someone instructed me to do (even if it was totally obvious as my other option and I didn't need to be told).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
i think you've summed up the situation perfectly, Leperflesh, though perhaps not in the way you intended - it can be a little anticlimactic to be a spectator, too, which is why you're seeing so many people throwing in their two bits and giving advice from the peanut gallery. After all, who knows when or even if some people are going to be able to pilot (again, in some cases), so it's really only natural that they should talk about the scenario as though they were a player - it's a way to keep their interest up.

Now, I'm not on the pilot roster (and probably won't ask to be placed on it; even when I played Battletech I was always pretty lousy at it, and that was ages ago... I think I stopped playing somewhere around the Clans' first few appearances), so I have no real dog in this fight, but for my money the best approach for those of us in the peanut gallery is 'advise, not control; critique, not criticize.' That is to say, by all means suggest a plan of action but leave it non-specific enough that the individual pilots still have things to do (and opportunities to surprise us, which is half the fun of watching them!), and give feedback on what the pilots may have done wrong or might wish to consider doing in the future without telling them they hosed up and/or are stupid. It's a fine line but one worth walking, IMHO.

The real knock-down, drag-out fights should be reserved for theater and political votes, because whether 'your' position wins or loses the end result is still going to be more awesome PTN Worldbuilding and that's something we can all cheer for. :D

(edit to add: Besides, some of the thread's best moments have come from people ignoring the advice of the thread as a whole and just doing something wonderfully suboptimal and surprising and occasionally really effective. If everyone played optimally we would never have gotten a DFA on a natural gas depot - and that was suboptimal but far from subAWESOME.)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Honestly, I think it may be time to start doing fights in Megamek, as PTN mentioned eventually doing in the OP; not only would this allow for quicker play, but with that it would also shorten the amount of criticism being given to the players. While it would also mean that there'd be less critique and advice, people being able to watch the match, or having matches take place over 3-4 sessions of megamek (after all, 2-4 players can take a couple of hours; a dozen+PTN will likely take far longer, so it could very well be necessary to split up games into several sessions) with people's advice becoming more broad strokes. Rather than suggesting exact movements for each turn, it may turn to more general advice, like "Try heading up the center to get behind while your teammates distract", that sort of thing.

Not to mention, this kind of thing would make matches go faster, or so I'd hope, allowing people to not have to wait as long for their turns. As Leperflesh said, waiting half a year or more only to play for 6 or so turns in a medium mech, and not feeling like you're able to do much during that time, can be a real bummer. This would hopefully keep people from having to wait as much. The only real downside I can see is that PTNs custom rear firing arc and other special homerules and some other things, like forces entering play later in the fight, would be more difficult if not impossible to do in Megamek. Still though, it may be a worthwhile sacrifice.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Honestly, that's one of the reasons I've backed off from the thread a lot. I don't feel comfortable trying to tell everyone what to do anymore (and for that matter I burned out on Maddening a while ago), and I know a lot of people aren't comfortable being told what to do anyway. And even with all the BT I've played and the track record I have, I'm still not always right, and a lot of the advice I do give sometimes is predicated on a style of play that a lot of people aren't usually comfortable with anyway, and that also doesn't exactly make for good spectating. And that's part of the fun of this thread - the spectacle, the utter awesome insanity of what's going on. So it's moot. Plus, when you have 15 different people giving different advice, how exactly do you even choose who to listen to?

When my turn comes up I'll try to do my best to help keep everyone on the same page, of course. And I'll definitely play things my way, which is sometimes less than exciting (except when it's not). But I can completely understand why some people don't like being told what to do by everyone. Also?

Leperflesh posted:

...and that's why I'm ignoring Krab

This is usually a good idea anyway. :colbert:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I've backed off from the thread a lot. I don't feel comfortable trying to tell everyone what to do anymore (and for that matter I burned out on Maddening a while ago), and I know a lot of people aren't comfortable being told what to do anyway. And even with all the BT I've played and the track record I have, I'm still not always right, and a lot of the advice I do give sometimes is predicated on a style of play that a lot of people aren't usually comfortable with anyway, and that also doesn't exactly make for good spectating. And that's part of the fun of this thread - the spectacle, the utter awesome insanity of what's going on. So it's moot. Plus, when you have 15 different people giving different advice, how exactly do you even choose who to listen to?

When my turn comes up I'll try to do my best to help keep everyone on the same page, of course. And I'll definitely play things my way, which is sometimes less than exciting (except when it's not). But I can completely understand why some people don't like being told what to do by everyone. Also?

This is usually a good idea anyway. :colbert:

:smug: My plan involves people doing not what I tell them to do just because I tell them to do it.*

Lies :v: I do try to give the best advice from my point of view but I also expect to be ignored... I just give it anyway... things would be better if I wasn't such a horrible speaker/writer maybe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I don't mean to give offense, Krab. I know you're just excited about battletech, you have a good grasp of the game, and you like to analyze what's going on and share your findings.

But in the current environment it's very difficult for the players to ever surprise the thread with a novel idea, because all the novel ideas are thoroughly hashed out by the thread within hours of the latest update. I don't know if it's possible (or wise) to try to suppress that entirely, but it is a bit of a shame.

The short number of turns you get does give you a strong incentive to not make a mistake. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons we take a long time to get our orders in, is because we post tentative orders, hash them out, etc. and that takes time. We all know the scenarios are pretty difficult and easy to lose if we make even a small number of big mistakes - nobody wants to be the one guy who blew it for everyone.

And even if the scenario calls for near-suicidal behavior, few players really want to risk ending their participation on Turn 3 by getting blown up. That discourages risk-taking and encourages cautious play, which the peanut gallery doesn't care much for.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Playing as a light/medium mech in a heavy/assault match can feel kinda underwhelming, especially with all the pilots being elite. A shame too, as medium mechs are the best all-rounders in the game and deserve to shine. Fat mechs can stay home :colbert:

And I probably have been a bit snarky this game, for which I apologize. After nineteen months and a thousand plus games in #megamek, I sometimes forget that not everybody is an ultra-competitive veteran. I do try to at least give some advice without actually telling players what to do, but sometimes I got upset when silly moves happened. Overall you guys have done a pretty solid job.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are definitely situations where a medium/light mech can shine. In particular, those with a large enough map, and slow enough opponents, than you can attempt to encircle, and/or use LOS-blocking terrain to get close.

But we were deployed on the right, where the ditches and trees screw up our move mods: there's not enough cover (especially given VTOLs): and the clanners had fast mechs controlling the woods on turn one. So we found ourselves trying to keep move mods up and not get chewed to pieces by running around the south edge for a turn or two (with the exception of the phoenix hawk, whose jump jets let him actually use the woods).

If I were to change one thing about how PTN does this, it'd be to let the players do (double-blind) deployment at the start. I'd have stuck Lance 3 on the left, so they could use the buildings as cover while rapidly advancing: Lance 1 in the center, so they could get immediate use of the open firing lanes and have an easier time advancing on the clan forces: and Lance 2 probably slightly on the right (but not as far right as L3 was deployed this game) to guard the flank and present significant firepower against the fast light clan forces that came down that side of the map so quickly.

Course it's easier to say that in hindsight. And it'd add to the amount of work PTN has to do up front, so I can definitely understand why he doesn't do that.

e. Oh and I'm very much falling out of love with MRMs. Even with iLK to counteract the -1 to hit penalty, the range bracket is too short, they do 1 point per damage in 5-point clusters like LRMs, and in 10-missile packs that means you're usually doing around 5 or 6 points of damage per hit.

I'd rather have LRMs for the range or SRMs for the extra damage.

Also not loving the flamers. I'd rather have machine guns. Same range, same damage, still good against infantry, but no heat instead of 3 heat (at the cost of having to carry ammo). Or even better would be small lasers: same range, better heat, more damage, no ammo, at the cost of not being as good against infantry.

e. Um yes also what he said. \/\/\/ I don't want to sound ungrateful. This is fun as hell! I just want to do it mooooore.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 17, 2012

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know about you guys but I'm having a loving great time playing robot stompy fights! I'm enjoying asking for advice in the thread (and the occasional push to do awesome/fun things instead of cautious things)

I'm just a chill dude who is about to get blowed up, shooting pew pew lasers and kicking arms off!

Edit: I don't mind being in light lance. It's heavy and medium lances jobs to be the hammer and anvil, it's light lances job to be the fly in the ointment for the clans. We harrass and annoy, and get stragglers.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 17, 2012

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also not loving the flamers. I'd rather have machine guns. Same range, same damage, still good against infantry, but no heat instead of 3 heat (at the cost of having to carry ammo). Or even better would be small lasers: same range, better heat, more damage, no ammo, at the cost of not being as good against infantry.

Sure, Machine guns and small lasers might be better at shooting guys. But can they start forest fires? :colbert: I see lots of trees on this battlefield and no horrible out of control fires - next mission I hope the Death Commandos can do better.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shoeless posted:

Honestly, I think it may be time to start doing fights in Megamek, as PTN mentioned eventually doing in the OP; not only would this allow for quicker play, but with that it would also shorten the amount of criticism being given to the players. While it would also mean that there'd be less critique and advice, people being able to watch the match, or having matches take place over 3-4 sessions of megamek (after all, 2-4 players can take a couple of hours; a dozen+PTN will likely take far longer, so it could very well be necessary to split up games into several sessions) with people's advice becoming more broad strokes. Rather than suggesting exact movements for each turn, it may turn to more general advice, like "Try heading up the center to get behind while your teammates distract", that sort of thing.

Not to mention, this kind of thing would make matches go faster, or so I'd hope, allowing people to not have to wait as long for their turns. As Leperflesh said, waiting half a year or more only to play for 6 or so turns in a medium mech, and not feeling like you're able to do much during that time, can be a real bummer. This would hopefully keep people from having to wait as much. The only real downside I can see is that PTNs custom rear firing arc and other special homerules and some other things, like forces entering play later in the fight, would be more difficult if not impossible to do in Megamek. Still though, it may be a worthwhile sacrifice.

This would make battletech less accessible, rather than more, to all the battletech newbies in the roster unfortunately.

Leperflesh posted:

There are definitely situations where a medium/light mech can shine. In particular, those with a large enough map, and slow enough opponents, than you can attempt to encircle, and/or use LOS-blocking terrain to get close.

But we were deployed on the right, where the ditches and trees screw up our move mods: there's not enough cover (especially given VTOLs): and the clanners had fast mechs controlling the woods on turn one. So we found ourselves trying to keep move mods up and not get chewed to pieces by running around the south edge for a turn or two (with the exception of the phoenix hawk, whose jump jets let him actually use the woods).

If I were to change one thing about how PTN does this, it'd be to let the players do (double-blind) deployment at the start. I'd have stuck Lance 3 on the left, so they could use the buildings as cover while rapidly advancing: Lance 1 in the center, so they could get immediate use of the open firing lanes and have an easier time advancing on the clan forces: and Lance 2 probably slightly on the right (but not as far right as L3 was deployed this game) to guard the flank and present significant firepower against the fast light clan forces that came down that side of the map so quickly.

Course it's easier to say that in hindsight. And it'd add to the amount of work PTN has to do up front, so I can definitely understand why he doesn't do that.

I think you're getting stuck on how you think your units work rather than how they can work. As an example, it seemed to me that the grouping into 3 lances actually hurt the strategic planning of the group because while each lance was getting their moves done faster, the lances weren't supporting each other like how the different weight classes could be doing. With so many heavy/assault mechs on your side the lighter mechs only need to make themselves harder to hit than their company-mates (not too hard when you guys can easily get +3 movemod vs. everyone elses +1/+2) to advance up the field with them.

To expand on this a little in an edit, when playing with the normal board game movement rules you're constantly thinking about how your movement is going to affect your opponents following movement. A rough analogy to bloodblowl might be deciding where you put your defenders so that their block zones force your opponent to do certain moves. It's a little harder/more awkward with simulatenous movement but still possible as PTN has demonstrated (and mentioned in the thread) by separating you guys into two clumps of units.

A suggestion for the backseat mechwarriors in the thread is refrain from giving exact moves such as "jump to hex 1234 and torso twist nw firing all your srms and ac10 at a 10 tohit etc." Instead you can try to point out things that might be overlooked by players such as "wow, you have an excellent opportunity to run up and kick that mech(tank) right in the face(turret)" or broader strategic decisions or opportunities "If x,y & z run N this turn you'll be in position for some great backstabby action next turn". If a player wants further clarification they can ask for it. This way they still feel like the actual move is theirs even if they got their inspiration from elsewhere.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 17, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mezzanon posted:

I'm just a chill dude who is about to get blowed up, shooting pew pew lasers and kicking arms off!

Sounds like a pretty good chatroulette profile...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh and I'm very much falling out of love with MRMs. Even with iLK to counteract the -1 to hit penalty, the range bracket is too short, they do 1 point per damage in 5-point clusters like LRMs, and in 10-missile packs that means you're usually doing around 5 or 6 points of damage per hit.

I'd rather have LRMs for the range or SRMs for the extra damage.

And now you see why most Battletech players scoff at the MRM. They are only truly acceptable when part of a C3 network, but 95% of the time the classic SRM proves superior.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I try not to do much advising or whatever for a couple reasons. One, nobody likes being backseat-driven, and two, I lost my license to give people advice when I got Paul Masters shot out of his Orion trying to draw fire off a wounded lancemate (I WAS ROLE PLAYING DAMMIT). Sides, I prefer to milk my gimmick.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KnoxZone posted:

And now you see why most Battletech players scoff at the MRM. They are only truly acceptable when part of a C3 network, but 95% of the time the classic SRM proves superior.

Not to mention the other newtech missile launcher contemporary of the MRM, MMLs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Picard Day posted:

Sure, Machine guns and small lasers might be better at shooting guys. But can they start forest fires? :colbert: I see lots of trees on this battlefield and no horrible out of control fires - next mission I hope the Death Commandos can do better.

We're not allowed. PTN said a long time ago he didn't want to track fires any more! Believe me I'd have been setting the trees on fire on turn one, otherwise.

Longinus00 posted:

I think you're getting stuck on how you think your units work rather than how they can work.

Oh, I don't disagree. With twelve people it was definitely easier to have just four coordinate with each other, but we could have mixed the lances up front and maybe done better at combined-arms strategy. On the other hand, I'm not sure if your specifics would fly: yes, we can get better move mods by advancing faster, but we also close range faster and that more than counterbalances things. Since range brackets go +0/+2/+4 to hit, whereas move mods go +0/+1/+2/+3. So if you have a choice between moving 5 hexes to get a +2, but it puts you in a heavy Clan mech's best weapons' medium range instead of his long range, vs. moving three hexes for a +1 and staying at his long range, the slower move is better. And, our heaviest meatshields are super slow, so we'd very rapidly outpace them.

On a bigger map, you accomodate this problem by breaking to left or right and going for an encirclement: this lets you move fast without closing range too fast, while your heavies plod towards the center you move about the perimiter and then look for an opportunity to dive in on a flank or rear and provide supporting/harassment fire.

On these cramped maps though, and especially against Clan lights with better move and a heavy with 5/8(10)/5, that just doesn't fly. Our option with the lights is to shuffle around in the back and kill the clan lights and VTOLs that zoom up to us (which we did), or charge ahead, put ourselves in the enemy heavies' shortrange brackets, and get shot to hell while our own heavies slowly try to get in range behind us.

I mean, maybe it was possible, but it would have been really hard to do.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 17, 2012

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Shoeless posted:

We tried that once. PTN can't fraps it because it doesn't use openGL or Directx or anything. It was also a bit of a clusterfuck, especially with the first try when PTN forgot to give "melissa steiner" her edge points and I rolled a 12 and blew her ammo on the first turn. Getting everyone together in one place is already a bit of a struggle, and with PTN needing to save and make sure he has everything written down properly between turns, I think things were a bit too difficult to set up. If he had infinite free time I could see him doing the occasional off-camera fight on megamek, but I don't think it's a workable plan for the main events.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sounds like you tried to make it way more complicated than it had to be. Other than screencapping the map between phases there really isn't anything that megamek won't log for you.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Felime posted:

We tried that once. PTN can't fraps it because it doesn't use openGL or Directx or anything. It was also a bit of a clusterfuck, especially with the first try when PTN forgot to give "melissa steiner" her edge points and I rolled a 12 and blew her ammo on the first turn. Getting everyone together in one place is already a bit of a struggle, and with PTN needing to save and make sure he has everything written down properly between turns, I think things were a bit too difficult to set up. If he had infinite free time I could see him doing the occasional off-camera fight on megamek, but I don't think it's a workable plan for the main events.

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware he's already attempted it. Ignore me!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
There's not really any way to screencap the entire map. The best way would probably be to save it and stitch the image together later, but with megamek, it's not an issue of if something will break/crash/maybe not load the save, but when.

The main reason it's not really useful for the main event though is because it pretty much forces him to toss out the list and means that new people can't really play there. Battletech games take plenty long, remember when you were learning megamek. It would take weeks to finish with newbies(no offense, megamek's interface is terrible and buggy).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Felime posted:

no offense, megamek's interface is terrible and buggy

Reminds me of PTN's post a long time ago detailing how the HUD in a Mech works.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Leperflesh posted:

We're not allowed. PTN said a long time ago he didn't want to track fires any more! Believe me I'd have been setting the trees on fire on turn one, otherwise.

Oh, I don't disagree. With twelve people it was definitely easier to have just four coordinate with each other, but we could have mixed the lances up front and maybe done better at combined-arms strategy. On the other hand, I'm not sure if your specifics would fly: yes, we can get better move mods by advancing faster, but we also close range faster and that more than counterbalances things. Since range brackets go +0/+2/+4 to hit, whereas move mods go +0/+1/+2/+3. So if you have a choice between moving 5 hexes to get a +2, but it puts you in a heavy Clan mech's best weapons' medium range instead of his long range, vs. moving three hexes for a +1 and staying at his long range, the slower move is better. And, our heaviest meatshields are super slow, so we'd very rapidly outpace them.

On a bigger map, you accomodate this problem by breaking to left or right and going for an encirclement: this lets you move fast without closing range too fast, while your heavies plod towards the center you move about the perimiter and then look for an opportunity to dive in on a flank or rear and provide supporting/harassment fire.

On these cramped maps though, and especially against Clan lights with better move and a heavy with 5/8(10)/5, that just doesn't fly. Our option with the lights is to shuffle around in the back and kill the clan lights and VTOLs that zoom up to us (which we did), or charge ahead, put ourselves in the enemy heavies' shortrange brackets, and get shot to hell while our own heavies slowly try to get in range behind us.

I mean, maybe it was possible, but it would have been really hard to do.

You're assuming all your units start advancing north at the same time. Lets drop this subject for now as what ifs aren't very helpful at this point.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Felime posted:

There's not really any way to screencap the entire map. The best way would probably be to save it and stitch the image together later, but with megamek, it's not an issue of if something will break/crash/maybe not load the save, but when.

Uh.... you go to File>Board>Savee As Image. That saves the entire board and units as an image to wherever you save it to. Just saying.

Felime posted:

The main reason it's not really useful for the main event though is because it pretty much forces him to toss out the list and means that new people can't really play there. Battletech games take plenty long, remember when you were learning megamek. It would take weeks to finish with newbies(no offense, megamek's interface is terrible and buggy).

Again, just saying, but the people who are wanting to play could always get a few matches under their belts to learn the interface prior to their game to get a feel for the interface. The #Megamek IRC channel's very kind and welcoming to new players and offers of learning games. Hell, I literally just got done with a learning game with a friend over the net, and he learned the interface pretty quick. Also, toss out what list?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Oh.

poo poo, That was only for the mission right after the mission where I had to track a billion fires.

My resolution with fires is that they simply won't have time to spread from hex to hex so only sparked fires matter and the other hexes won't burn down until after the mission ends (in other words: go ahead and start fires). I was wondering why you guys weren't trying to burn down the Thresher's cover that was half the reason I put so many flamers on the wooded side of the map. Turns out it was my fault. :sigh:

Anyway, for repairs:

Every `Mech will repair an arbitrary amount of armor per section. I'm not doing it by tons, and yes that means the lighter `Mechs will get more back. The lance that gets its orders in the quickest will get a bonus on top of this, whether they need it or not.

A smaller amount of internal damage will be repaired, varying a bit depending on how many `Mechs have internal damage.

Damaged weapons will repair automatically.

Everything else will require a critical repair, of which you will have a set amount (generally 1-3 depending on how long you delay before pushing to a new objective). Critical repairs are things like engine / gyro / actuator hits, replacing destroyed weapons (provided you have them in stock), reattaching a limb, fixing the Flashman's cockpit, or refitting someone's armament with Clantech.

Depending on the situation, I may also let you trade up to a lance of `Mechs with a different company (with the options being: trade 1 `Mech, or trade an entire lance. No middle ground). That way, if anyone's really unhappy about the way a group of `Mechs is performing (like the Po, which has disappointed me a tad, performance-wise through no fault of the players) we can swap them out for something people would rather see like Hunchbacks.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 18, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Your first mistake was trusting a mech that shares a name with a Teletubby. You wouldn't field a mech named the Tinky-Winky would you?

Don't answer that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mmm Hunchbacks, I'd gladly take a hunch over a Po.

Also :argh: PTN we aren't that smart you know, you outsmarted us you clever cardassian.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

I dunno if you missed my post or not, but I had questions regarding why you targeted H4, and how a damaged SRM6 works, can you clarify please?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SageSepth posted:

I dunno if you missed my post or not, but I had questions regarding why you targeted H4, and how a damaged SRM6 works, can you clarify please?

Damaged weapons typically don't function (TacOps has different rules for that, but they aren't being used here), but they aren't considered totally wrecked and can be made to work again post scenario. My RT mounted LRM-20, however, has taken multiple hits and is considered fit only for the scrap heap at this point.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

landcollector posted:

Damaged weapons typically don't function (TacOps has different rules for that, but they aren't being used here), but they aren't considered totally wrecked and can be made to work again post scenario. My RT mounted LRM-20, however, has taken multiple hits and is considered fit only for the scrap heap at this point.

Roger, so now I just need to know why I attacked H4 through H5 for some reason instead of T1, and then I can put some orders forward.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Your first mistake was trusting a mech that shares a name with a Teletubby. You wouldn't field a mech named the Tinky-Winky would you?

Don't answer that.

I might.

code:
Tinky Winky TNK-1K

Mass: 55 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Cost: 4,813,344 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,021

Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 275 Fusion Engine
Heatsinks: 10 Standard
Movement: 5/8/0
Armor: 9 Tons Standard Armor w/ CASE (both torsos)
Armament: 
    2  Ultra AC/2s (LA/RA, 2 tons ammo split between LT/RT)
    1  Small Laser (HD)
    1  Guardian ECM Suite (RT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Make them LB-2Xs for extra suck. "With cluster rounds, you could do 2 damage, but 66% of the time, only one!"

• Locked thread